SiouxSports.com Forum

HAKSTOL 9 MONTHS and change LEFT ON CONTRACT!

the"source"

Would Hakstol have made a difference in Parise's play? How about would he have made the defense play better?

Pinning the coach as the defining reason or main reason or most qualifiable reason why we haven't won a title despite attending 3 frozen fours is ridiculous.

Scotty Bowman could coach a team with every known hall of famer on the roster in their prime, but some times, they are just going to lose and there is nothing to be done about it.

A coach can only get the team ready to play and make adjustments during play to help the team try to win. So far, Hakstol has done that. The rest of the accountability falls on the players. We seem to place too much on the coach.

Then again, we live in a world where reality is secondary to expectation.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coach can only get the team ready to play and make adjustments during play to help the team try to win. So far, Hakstol has done that. The rest of the accountability falls on the players. We seem to place too much on the coach.

How do you know what goes on during play? Are you on the bench?

Going to Frozen Fours is nice. Yes, I'd like a win on Saturday there. But you can't deny three straight Fours.

But I'm more concerned about the slow starts each year. It happened with a very mature team a couple years back. It happened with a young team after that (not surprisingly). And, even after the young guys got that scary experience, it happened last year also (4-7-1 first half at home with Oshie, Toews, and a Hobey winner). The first time a team can't (for whatever reason) turn it on in the second half the first half rumblings will turn into a full roar in February.

i agree redwing77, hak doesnt control parise's play. if parise was hot against bc, we would have had a chance to go against UW. and the reason why a mature team started slow 3 years ago was because it was haks first year and the players took a while to buy into the system. each year there has been a legitimate excuse to a slow start. the finish in 05 was blocked because of mannino's rediculous play to go along with a hot DU. this will be the first year of no excuses, even though hak doesnt make excuses. this team will start off very well, and i would be surprised if they dont win the points race.

But I'm more concerned about the slow starts each year.

This is my biggest concern about the team, both in the past few years and looking ahead to 07-08. Slow starts have left the team no room for error down the stretch, and perhaps expending too much energy just to lock up a home playoff series. Regardless of the sound bites, you gotta know the coaches and the players are watching the Pairwise and they know how important each and every game is down the stretch. That has to be wearing on them emotionally and to some extent physically.

How 'bout they come out like a house afire and kick some azz in the first half? Any tinkering with lines and defensive pairings from then on out is merely fine-tuning, not searching for a spark. I'm not saying coasting into the playoffs is desirable, but how nice would it be to be able to consistently roll all four lines in February and March, getting everyone ice time and into the flow? As opposed to having your top two lines and d-pairs skating absolutely critical shifts every time they hit the ice?

And Shawn-O, a top half WCHA finish has to be a given. I think anything less than second place this year is a disappointment.

As I said in a thread long ago and far, far away: these guys have to make this season personal. Every last one of them. From Day One.

This is my biggest concern about the team, both in the past few years and looking ahead to 07-08. Slow starts have left the team no room for error down the stretch, and perhaps expending too much energy just to lock up a home playoff series. Regardless of the sound bites, you gotta know the coaches and the players are watching the Pairwise and they know how important each and every game is down the stretch. That has to be wearing on them emotionally and to some extent physically.

How 'bout they come out like a house afire and kick some azz in the first half? Any tinkering with lines and defensive pairings from then on out is merely fine-tuning, not searching for a spark. I'm not saying coasting into the playoffs is desirable, but how nice would it be to be able to consistently roll all four lines in February and March, getting everyone ice time and into the flow? As opposed to having your top two lines and d-pairs skating absolutely critical shifts every time they hit the ice?

And Shawn-O, a top half WCHA finish has to be a given. I think anything less than second place this year is a disappointment.

As I said in a thread long ago and far, far away: these guys have to make this season personal. Every last one of them. From Day One.

If we can find some middle ground between our recent starts to the season and the average Gopher start to the season we'll be in good shape to finish strong.

This is the first year Hak will have very little turnover in the lineup AND coaching staff. We can't forget how valuable Berry was to this squad and what it may have taken to get over that loss. That said, I think we'll see them come out of the gate stronger and build toward a strong postseason.

How do you know what goes on during play? Are you on the bench?

bottom line in most sports.............

coaches get wayyyy to much credit when they win and to much blame when they lose...........it goes both ways for sure

If we can find some middle ground between our recent starts to the season and the average Gopher start to the season we'll be in good shape to finish strong.

This is the first year Hak will have very little turnover in the lineup AND coaching staff. We can't forget how valuable Berry was to this squad and what it may have taken to get over that loss. That said, I think we'll see them come out of the gate stronger and build toward a strong postseason.

The Pop Can, second weekend in April. Be there or be square.

bottom line in most sports.............

coaches get wayyyy to much credit when they win and to much blame when they lose...........it goes both ways for sure

True. Guess that's the short way of saying it.

I say it over and over again (and everyone is tired of hearing it I know) but this is a TEAM sport. We win as a team and lose as a team. If you place blame on an individual for a TEAM loss, then what does that do for you? What did the rest of the team do to get a pass while this individual, coach or player, gets the blame?

It's like blaming JPar for the loss vs. DU. We lost 1-0. Jordan gets the blame but what about the rest of the team? If Jordan would have played better, would we have scored more goals than 0? Please.

We have the players. We have the coaching. Now we need to play as a team and get the job done as a TEAM.

Most sensible fans acknowledge we are fortunate to have Hak and I hope we have him for 30 more years...

Lets review just how his seasons have ended.

05 - UND outplays DU in the national championship game, but gets bad bounces (Smaby) and loses. Entire playoffs were played with 5 defensmen. UND ends Minnesota's season.

06 - UND makes the F4 with a huge freshman class and lose to BC after a very uncharacteristically weak game by Parise. Grand Forks ends Minnesota's season...

07 - UND makes the F4, plays tough against a very good BC team, loses after a very untimely poor call leads to a PP goal for BC after UND fights back. UND ends Minnesota's season.

The 2008 recruiting class may be one of UND's strongest ever.

We didn't win a championship, but Hak deserves nothing but respect. The lucky bounces and calls and championships will come.

Most sensible fans acknowledge we are fortunate to have Hak and I hope we have him for 30 more years...

Lets review just how his seasons have ended.

05 - UND outplays DU in the national championship game, but gets bad bounces (Smaby) and loses. Entire playoffs were played with 5 defensmen. UND ends Minnesota's season.

06 - UND makes the F4 with a huge freshman class and lose to BC after a very characteristically weak game by Parise. Grand Forks ends Minnesota's season...

07 - UND makes the F4, plays tough against a very good BC team, loses after a very untimely poor call leads to a PP goal for BC after UND fights back. UND ends Minnesota's season.

The 2008 recruiting class may be one of UND's strongest ever.

We didn't win a championship, but Hak deserves nothing but respect. The lucky bounces and calls and championships will come.

Umm, do you mean uncharacteristically? :silly:

Otherwise, totally agree with your post. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that late last week another hockey coach got an extension well before his contract was up when Rensselaer extended Appert through the year 2012,extending his contract for 2 years after just one year of his current contract. Wonder why our coach cant get an extension? He has accomplished a bit more than Appert has so far! Appert is just one of several coaches that have gotten extensions well before theirs current deals expire. I find the situation with Hakstol's contract to be unbelievable and inexcusable. A great coach and all he has accomplished in his first 3 years and he enters the final year of his initial contract without having received an extension. Simply inexcusable.

I saw that late last week another hockey coach got an extension well before his contract was up when Rensselaer extended Appert through the year 2012,extending his contract for 2 years after just one year of his current contract. Wonder why our coach cant get an extension? He has accomplished a bit more than Appert has so far! Appert is just one of several coaches that have gotten extensions well before theirs current deals expire. I find the situation with Hakstol's contract to be unbelievable and inexcusable. A great coach and all he has accomplished in his first 3 years and he enters the final year of his initial contract without having received an extension. Simply inexcusable.

Yet there are those who still don't believe there is a problem within the athletic dept. I hope they figure this thing out quickly, I'd sure hate for Coach Hackstol to start seeking out other employment.

Well I don't think that he wants to leave, but why wait until he's a free agent. Right now he's underpaid and could use the money so all parties in the negotiation would benefit from a reasonable deal.

Right then they really have to poney up the money to keep him.

Hak is a smart guy!!.......he knows he will get a much better deal after the season has ended, when he has other universitys chasing after him and when he is holding the 2008 NCAA Men's Hockey Championship Trophy!!!!

show him the money and he stays, simple, now do it

Hak is a smart guy!!.......he knows he will get a much better deal after the season has ended, when he has other universitys chasing after him and when he is holding the 2008 NCAA Men's Hockey Championship Trophy!!!!

Let's think back. We had some great teams that didn't advance to the Frozen Four in 98 and 99. We also didn't get there with Bochenski and Parise.

Holding out to negotiate when you've won the frozen four is not a financially sound strategy.

Let's think back. We had some great teams that didn't advance to the Frozen Four in 98 and 99. We also didn't get there with Bochenski and Parise.

Holding out to negotiate when you've won the frozen four is not a financially sound strategy.

im willing to guess hes not holding out, just pay him what he deserves

When you take into account all the college hockey coaches that have gotten extensions,and at a sizable increase in salary, does anyone have any concievable idea WHY THIS HASNT BEEN DONE YET? We all dont know Hakstol personally,but many people do and based on what the rest of us do know about him, we all know this cant be because of him. Whereas many of us do know about the AD problems and his way of doing things, and know that it totally his fault this isnt done yet.

Again, it is inexcusable to have the top college hockey coach entering the final year of his contract and just a short time away from being a free agent. But besides that , JUST THE FLAT OUT LACK OF RESPECT IT SHOWS TOWARDS HIM AND HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS. He could pick his job in college hockey, but for some reason our AD cant seem to give him a contract extension worth signing.

If you know nothing about the AD situation, that alone should scream loudly at you as to him and his way of doing things.

FOR GOD SAKES MR BUNING, DO THE HONORABLE THING AND MOVE ON! Let someone who would get it done and would show Mr Hakstol the respect he has earned from this university and deserves from this university!