SiouxSports.com Forum

HAKSTOL 9 MONTHS and change LEFT ON CONTRACT!

the"source"

Folks concerned about this shouldn't be harping here, they should be filing out the pledge forms or checks.

Done yet?

I'm in Rick's camp when he says:

.... I'm confident that he'll get a contract that will keep him happy and still fit within the Athletic Departments budgets.

I say.....relax, it [better contract] will get done.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done yet?

I'm in Rick's camp when he says:

Thanks for the philosophical insight. Did it take you all weekend to come up with that? Granted, it's not an excuse about Buning as we have become accustomed to. So now we need to write checks (or additional checks in case of some) to pay for Hakstol to stay? I say if that's the case, then how can UND afford to go to D1 if they need more money from more people to get a coach signed? Wait, this actually was an exuse.......some of us haven't written the checks yet so that's why Hakstol isn't signed. Keep the excuses coming.

Again, as someone else said, maybe you should sit this one out.

Thanks for the philosophical insight. Did it take you all weekend to come up with that? Granted, it's not an excuse about Buning as we have become accustomed to. So now we need to write checks (or additional checks in case of some) to pay for Hakstol to stay? I say if that's the case, then how can UND afford to go to D1 if they need more money from more people to get a coach signed? Wait, this actually was an exuse.......some of us haven't written the checks yet so that's why Hakstol isn't signed. Keep the excuses coming.

just RELAX! UND Hockey isn't entirely tied only to the athletic department. Blais didn't make a ton but got a hefty "bonus" from the Engelstad family (with incentives) for hanging around for the full term of his contract. There may or will likely be a similiar deal in the works here...don't pull the chute yet!

Maybe Haks will get Blais-type money when/if he ever delivers a Title. Just like Lucia, Eaves, Gwoz, etc. You know ... pay-for-performance ...

Moreover, considering what I know about Rick and The Sicatoka, their information is usually quite accurate.

Maybe Haks will get Blais-type money when/if he ever delivers a Title. Just like Lucia, Eaves, Gwoz, etc. You know ... pay-for-performance ...

Moreover, considering what I know about Rick and The Sicatoka, their information is usually quite accurate.

what was blais paid? remember that hak gets paid 6 figs now and im sure he has gotten some nice bonuses too. also, eaves was paid a lot before he delivered a title.

Sorry, but if you read any of my posts, you will know that I wasn't referring to Blais-type money. Or even Lucia, Gwoz, etc. I had referenced Lucia in a prior post because 'm alluding to the simple fact that he was able to get an extension prior to his going into his last season under contract. Successful coaches are usually shown the respect for bringing quality teams to the ice and are usually shown gratitude/support for their success on the ice (i.e. three straight frozen fours, national titles, etc.) by giving them extensions before one month prior to their last season under contract. Nowhere am I talking about the amount of money he needs to be paid, I'm just referring to the respect he should be shown by giving him an extension by now.

I keep reading about how we need to show "respect" to people by giving them a contract extension before their existing deal is expired. Is this a new thing? Did I miss the memo?

Hakstol has a contract with the university to perform a job. The university has a contract with him, under which he'll get paid a not insignificant amount of money in return for performing that job. Quid pro quo.

I think it is time for some people to take a deep breath and relax.

Nowhere am I talking about the amount of money he needs to be paid, I'm just referring to the respect he should be shown by giving him an extension by now.

"Respect" has nothing to do with it. Hakstol and UND have a binding contract. They may, at their own mutual discretion, modify it, extend it or terminate it, and I really doubt any such discussion will be premised on "respect", so much as self-interest.

I keep reading about how we need to show "respect" to people by giving them a contract extension before their existing deal is expired. Is this a new thing? Did I miss the memo?

Hakstol has a contract with the university to perform a job. The university has a contract with him, under which he'll get paid a not insignificant amount of money in return for performing that job. Quid pro quo.

I think it is time for some people to take a deep breath and relax.

What you say is true in most other areas of the business community other than sports. The vast majority of time successful coaches are signed to extensions, the vast majority of times successful players are signed to extensions or are traded and their new teams sign them to an extension. "Showing respect" is a big part of the sports world whether it be from coaches or players.

Now if I'm a lawyer and I have a contract with my firm for example, I would usually wait until the end of that contract until negotiating a new contract. But don't be naive and think the sports world is the same way.

I think we can all agree on several things......Hak has done an outstanding job his first three years and everyone feels he should be rewarded for his excellence. He took his first 3 teams to the Frozen Four and that is a very rare accomplishment. With a little bit of luck (or a gift call or two from a ref like we witnessed a few years ago in an overtime game) :whistling: he could have number 8 hanging from the rafters.

Not only is he getting his teams to the Frozen Four, but he

So what do we have here:

- a coach nearing the end of a contract and looking to extend

- forces (for unknown motives) trying to "draw out" the AD to get it done, and claiming the AD is upsetting people

- some then question bringing these matters out to public

- some speculating on "if he leaves, then who?"

- some speculating that he may be ready to make the choice to move on to higher levels

- others calling for patience and reason in the matter

- some speculating that other items need to be dealt with and put into alignment first

That sums this thread up pretty well, doesn't it.

Too bad I'm talking about a 2003 thread involving coach Dean Blais, AD Roger Thomas, and a contract.

In the words of Yogi Berra, "It's deja vu all over again." :p:whistling:

I think we can all agree on several things......Hak has done an outstanding job his first three years and everyone feels he should be rewarded for his excellence. He took his first 3 teams to the Frozen Four and that is a very rare accomplishment. With a little bit of luck (or a gift call or two from a ref like we witnessed a few years ago in an overtime game) :whistling: he could have number 8 hanging from the rafters.

Not only is he getting his teams to the Frozen Four, but he

We are all well aware of the support for all of our coaches and players from the fans and ulumni (including the Engelstad family), but what does that have to do with the problems in the AD's office?

are you seriously saying TB is worse than RT? In what areas? RT was great in the meet-n-greet area but HORRIBLE in the administrative area. (apparently MATH was a challenge...) TB is okay in the PR category but also understands the $$$'s...Yes- weve had a couple LEMONS in the AD office but can't we make lemonade??? (This can't help Phil H's push for UND President since TB was basicaly "his" pick)

are you seriously saying TB is worse than RT? In what areas? RT was great in the meet-n-greet area but HORRIBLE in the administrative area. (apparently MATH was a challenge...) TB is okay in the PR category but also understands the $$$'s...Yes- weve had a couple LEMONS in the AD office but can't we make lemonade??? (This can't help Phil H's push for UND President since TB was basicaly "his" pick)

You guys can keep beatin' the drum for your boy buning all you want, ok. I still say there are problems in the AD's office, deny and defend all you want.

To me, it seems to be more a call for some real-life examples than it is beating the drum for Buning. Remember, not everyone is uber connected to the UND athletic department 24/7. Looks like a few too many assumptions and reading too much into posts throughout this thread.

Some people are worried about the situation and about Buning's ability to keep Hakstol (or other coaches) happy. Some people may be a little worried but feel it will get done no matter what and that's overall there isn't really anything to worry about at this time. Some people aren't worried and feel since he still has a contract, there is nothing more to discuss. Some people feel that Buning is doing a good/great job and the move to D1 is where the money is going and unless the alumni pony-up and help foot the bill, there is nothing that can be done at this point in time.

To those of you who say this will get done or aren't worried, at what point in time do you start to worry or do you start questioning the happenings within the AD's office and Buning's ability to keep Hakstol happy? Do you start to worry once practice starts, once the games start, halfway through the season, season's end, or next summer?

Also, at what time do those who feel Buning is doing a great/satisfactory job, start to question his ability to lead our athletic department?

I'm curious at what it's going to take for some to start to worry about Hakstol or question Buning's performance.

Please discuss....

I do not know any inside information, so I am strictly speaking as a fan on the outside looking in. I understand the move to DI will take alot of money, but not taking care of the head coach of the schools top sports program makes no sense. The hockey program is what will keep UND athletics afloat for those first few transitional years. I feel Hakstol has done a great job with what he has had, and a great job recruiting to keep us near the top in the nation every year. I know he hasn't won a national title (yet) but we have had some pretty good runs the last few seasons. I think we need that consistency with Hak at the helm for recruiting and for the teams sake as he seems to do a great job preparing the boys. I'm not really sure what the beef is with Hak and Bunning, but if it is a money issue only, that (hopefully) should be worked out and we will see Hak on the bench for years to come.

Some people are worried about the situation and about Buning's ability to keep Hakstol (or other coaches) happy. Some people may be a little worried but feel it will get done no matter what and that's overall there isn't really anything to worry about at this time. Some people aren't worried and feel since he still has a contract, there is nothing more to discuss. Some people feel that Buning is doing a good/great job and the move to D1 is where the money is going and unless the alumni pony-up and help foot the bill, there is nothing that can be done at this point in time.

To those of you who say this will get done or aren't worried, at what point in time do you start to worry or do you start questioning the happenings within the AD's office and Buning's ability to keep Hakstol happy? Do you start to worry once practice starts, once the games start, halfway through the season, season's end, or next summer?

Also, at what time do those who feel Buning is doing a great/satisfactory job, start to question his ability to lead our athletic department?

I'm curious at what it's going to take for some to start to worry about Hakstol or question Buning's performance.

Please discuss....

Oh no... here we go again. :blush: