SiouxSports.com Forum

White Out in Grand Forks?

WiSioux

"White Out"  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should we try and do some form of "White Out" this year at the Ralph?

• Do a White Out
    • Do a Green Out
  2. 2. When should we attempt this?

• Gopher Series at home
    • WCHA Home playoff games

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that the atmosphere is too watered down at the ralph to try something like this and be successful. also, would everybody where a green jersey or would there be free shirts? if they could charge like $40-50 more and give a green jersey of choice size. that would be cool. not going to happen.

im guessing the majority of sioux fans have a green shirt of some sort so that shouldnt be a problem, they should so green hankys to make it look even better if possible

The majority of us already have a green shirt... we don't need the Ralph to buy us another... although that'd be awfully sweet!

WiSioux,

Your effort and initiative are admirable, but it sounds like REA management is giving you the subtle brush-off. The suits know full well that our fans already own Sioux merchandise with predominant green colors. They don't have to buy all of us green shirts. All they would have to do is help promote the event, which they obviously don't have an interest in doing. Look at the Olympic Saddledome in Calgary in the playoffs with all the fans wearing the exact same jersey. I don't think the team paid for all those jerseys, but I'll bet they helped encourage and promote it.

I think this is a great idea and I would participate, but it isn't going to happen if we wait for REA to pick up the ball and run with it. It would have to be a volunteer effort on the part of the fans, organized and promoted by local businesses and other organizations. Tough to pull off, but not impossible.

If this happens I demand there are no Thundersticks.

I second that! I still have nightmares from those stupid Thundersticks used by the freaking Anaheim Angels in the 2002 MLB playoffs. :) Besides ruining the Twin's postseason (along with Rick Reed), they made the games almost unwatchable because of those stupid Thundersticks. Our fans don't need cheap promotional gimmicks like that, anyway.

WiSioux,

Your effort and initiative are admirable, but it sounds like REA management is giving you the subtle brush-off. The suits know full well that our fans already own Sioux merchandise with predominant green colors. They don't have to buy all of us green shirts. All they would have to do is help promote the event, which they obviously don't have an interest in doing. Look at the Olympic Saddledome in Calgary in the playoffs with all the fans wearing the exact same jersey. I don't think the team paid for all those jerseys, but I'll bet they helped encourage and promote it.

I think this is a great idea and I would participate, but it isn't going to happen if we wait for REA to pick up the ball and run with it. It would have to be a volunteer effort on the part of the fans, organized and promoted by local businesses and other organizations. Tough to pull off, but not impossible.

I certainly hope this isn't true. Perhaps it is, but that would be a horrible attitude for REA to take.

I have been talking with the guy that sits next to me about this since The Ralph opened. Here is my suggestion:

1) Publicize like crazy for all Sioux fans to wear green to that particular game

2) For those that miss the memo, The Ralph Pro Shop could work with sponsers to sell plain green "Sioux" shirts (like the Sioux Crew shirts) for like $3 or $5 bucks a pop

To me this is a win/win. The Ralph doesn't have to buy 11,000 shirts. The person that only comes to one game a year and doesn't hear about the Green Out can participate for $3 or $5 bucks. A sponser could get there name on the back of a T-Shirt.

Even if The Ralph can't find a sponser I still think it would be feasible if they buy thousands of T-Shirts in bulk.

I like the idea, but think the Minnesota series is a bad idea. People are already plenty jacked up for those games. I would pick another tough series to add a little extra oomph to the crowd, possibly Denver or St. Cloud. St. Cloud would make sense as we play them at home every year so it would be a truly annual event.

I like the idea, but think the Minnesota series is a bad idea. People are already plenty jacked up for those games. I would pick another tough series to add a little extra oomph to the crowd, possibly Denver or St. Cloud. St. Cloud would make sense as we play them at home every year so it would be a truly annual event.

I think the all green would just add to the gopher series and make it even better with all the crown being green, i dont think a green out makes you cheer louder or harder, it just makes the arena look pretty damn sweet

I'm thinking we take full advantage of:

-Brad's Blog and the Herald

-The Ralph with any support they may provide

-The Dakota Student can perhaps mention it

-Sioux Crew can promote it

-Lifetime Sports (where students purchase tickets)

-Student season tickets... last year they had a little meeting with us before they hand over our tickets

Other ideas:

-handing out fliers at a previous series

-working with the Sioux Shop to help those that forget

Feel free to add to the list, or if any of you have any connections, feel free to volunteer to send someone an email or make a phone call :) I have some free time... at least for now...

I'm thinking we take full advantage of:

-Brad's Blog and the Herald

-The Ralph with any support they may provide

-The Dakota Student can perhaps mention it

-Sioux Crew can promote it

-Lifetime Sports (where students purchase tickets)

-Student season tickets... last year they had a little meeting with us before they hand over our tickets

Other ideas:

-handing out fliers at a previous series

-working with the Sioux Shop to help those that forget

Feel free to add to the list, or if any of you have any connections, feel free to volunteer to send someone an email or make a phone call :) I have some free time... at least for now...

If you can get it into just one piece of student literature to get the idea coming out of hardcore students fans' mouths... then word of mouh will play its part with the students... this is almost a gaurentee... "hey guys let's have a small game of beer pong at our house tonight" then 300 people show up... same concept but with excited students that are already pumped for the game.. Maybe its just me thinking how easily i could convince a large group of students and friends to wear green but its almost a for sure go

Any suggestions on how to start this tradition? It seems as though the student should be fairly easy to reach through Sioux Crew, where you purchase tickets, and student season tickets....

What about the rest of the fans? What do non-students pay the most attention to? TV? Radio? the message board? papers being handed out? Is it possible to do a mailing to all the season ticket holders? (Do you guys already have your tickets....)

If you were truly serious, the most realistic, cheap, and feasible way to get this to eventually become a tradition (long term) is simply to have the ralph/UND/ticketmaster print on the ticket (White Out Night: Wear a White Shirt). Obviously this wouldn't be possible for next year, but the following years it would be.

Then year after year as it builds momentum a standard shirt could be used that the majority of people attending Sioux hockey games would know about or sold and bought (more money for REA in the Sioux Shop).

It would be a simple design that you could wear year after year (Go Sioux: Green/White Out Night, etc...logistics could be worked out).

I know all incoming freshman receive a free t shirt. It could be the official white/green out night shirt!!! (no added costs for the university!!!)

One thing you could do is make a flyer and stick them in all of the grociery stores, it wouldn't be much advertising but it would be something. I work at hugos and I think we sell a plain green shirt with UND on the right chest part of the shirt and I think there only $5.

Well my freshman tshirt I got this year was black, but they were green last year i believe. I think this green out thing is a great idea and would love to be in a sea of green. It just adds to the atmosphere. And do like they do at the final 5 and put hankys on every seat that night. This is exciting!!! :):lol: