SiouxSports.com Forum

White Out in Grand Forks?

WiSioux

"White Out"  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should we try and do some form of "White Out" this year at the Ralph?

• Do a White Out
    • Do a Green Out
  2. 2. When should we attempt this?

• Gopher Series at home
    • WCHA Home playoff games

After going through that "Your Favorite College Hockey Pictures" thread over on USCHO.com, I came across the "white out".

garescore.jpg

As "thecomicbookguy" demonstrates with this picture in the thread all the fans come to the game wearing white jerseys/clothing. I decided to look this up a little bit more. According to Wikipedia the Winnipeg Jets are the ones that started the White Out tradition...

Do you think that it would be possible to do something like this at the Ralph? Maybe white, maybe green.... I'm thinking the hardest part would be getting the word out to everyone, but if we picked a game at the end of the season it couldn't be that hard... Talk to the people at the Ralph and see if we can hand out papers, have it written about in the paper, perhaps radio... Anyone else think this would be a cool idea to attempt?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont like copying other traditions/ the winipeg jets started it and then it came here to phoenix when they use to make the playoffs, maybe a GREEN would be cool for certain games but that would have to be planned out in advance i would think. maybe for the wcha playoffs it could be a stamp to do it!!

Hmm.... GREEN OUT sounds kinda cool! Since I'm in charge of hockey for Sioux Crew, I'll bring it up somewhere... :)

cool, i would target special games like the wcha playoffs or maybe only vs gophers, something like that would make it fun for sure and isolated wich would make people do it and want to do it

Winnipeg did start the tradition of the "white-out" during the playoffs and other teams have followed suit. The tradition has carried onto Phoenix, but since the Coyotes haven't sniffed the playoffs recently (no pun intended), you probably haven't seen it on ESPN's highlights. The most-recent version of colorized crowds was for the NBA playoffs this past spring, when Golden State fans wore yellow at home against the Mavericks. Michigan football last year carried the theme of "Go Blue...Wear Maize" for their home games. Maybe a "Go Sioux...Wear Green" campaign would work in Grand Forks?

Winnipeg did start the tradition of the "white-out" during the playoffs and other teams have followed suit. The tradition has carried onto Phoenix, but since the Coyotes haven't sniffed the playoffs recently (no pun intended), you probably haven't seen it on ESPN's highlights. The most-recent version of colorized crowds was for the NBA playoffs this past spring, when Golden State fans wore yellow at home against the Mavericks. Michigan football last year carried the theme of "Go Blue...Wear Maize" for their home games. Maybe a "Go Sioux...Wear Green" campaign would work in Grand Forks?

Local businesses encourage wearing Green on Friday when there are home games.

Encouraging it and heavily promoting it are two different things. Local businesses where I live prefer maroon and gold. :)

exactly, it starts with the school/students, i really think it should be a reserved thing for 2 occasions, gopher series both nights and wcha home payoff games, that would make it so its not every weekend and not overdoing it

exactly, it starts with the school/students, i really think it should be a reserved thing for 2 occasions, gopher series both nights and wcha home payoff games, that would make it so its not every weekend and not overdoing it

I like this idea.... Gopher series and/or WCHA home playoff games...

Perhaps a poll to see what everyone else thinks...

hmmm... should have added "Both" as an option for when

green out

BOTH - gopher series and wcha playoffs

MAKE IT A TRADITION for the those 2 events

Any suggestions on how to start this tradition? It seems as though the student should be fairly easy to reach through Sioux Crew, where you purchase tickets, and student season tickets....

What about the rest of the fans? What do non-students pay the most attention to? TV? Radio? the message board? papers being handed out? Is it possible to do a mailing to all the season ticket holders? (Do you guys already have your tickets....)

They could do it with the season tickets, but I don't know how good of an idea that is. They already mail the season tickets with a bunch of other crap that everyone throws away, this would also just be tossed. They already advertise at the bottom of the sports section about the upcoming series, may as well put it in there. Also advertise about it at the games how about? It'd free! :lol:

If this happens though you just know it will be The Sioux Green Out (or whatever it's called) Brought to you by [insert advertiser] :)

I decided to email the Ralph to see what they have to say about possibly helping and this is apparently something that they have previously thought about.... although their version seems to make it much more complicated that it needs to be....

Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:27 PM

To: REA Fans

Subject: Green Weekend

It has recently been discussed on Siouxsports.com the idea of doing a

"Green Out" at the Ralph for either the Gopher series or any home WCHA

Playoff games. The idea behind a "Green Out" originally comes from the

Winnipeg Jets who had a tradition of having one series a year where all

of the fans would wear white (a white out in this case) creating a more

intense environment for the game.

In order to make this more of a Sioux things, we talked about doing

green instead of white. Many local businesses support the Sioux by

allowing their workers to wear green to work on Fridays. Why not

continue the support by having as many people as possible wear green to

the games?

I was just looking for suggestions as to how we might go about trying to

organize something like this. I intend to talk to Student Government

and Sioux Crew in order to reach the students, but reaching the general

public and season ticket holders seems as though it will be the more

difficult task. Is it possible to pass our flyers at and earlier home

series promoting the event, or possibly putting something on the

scoreboard during intermisison? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you very much for your time.

Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for the email. We have thought about doing a "green out" and

have approached sponsors to help us out with the cost because it is

extremely expensive to purchase 11,000 t-shirts. So far we haven't had

any luck with sponsorship for this idea.

I do like your idea of having our fans wear green to the game. We can

promote this in house on our concourse tv's and pa announcements.

Thanks again for the email and the idea.

Sommer Lockhart

Marketing Manager

Ralph Engelstad Arena

One Ralph Engelstad Arena Drive

Grand Forks, ND 58203

(P) 701.777.0833 (F) 701.777.6643

www.theralph.com

Home of the Fighting Sioux

The majority of us already have a green shirt... we don't need the Ralph to buy us another... although that'd be awfully sweet!

I decided to email the Ralph to see what they have to say about possibly helping and this is apparently something that they have previously thought about.... although their version seems to make it much more complicated that it needs to be....

The majority of us already have a green shirt... we don't need the Ralph to buy us another... although that'd be awfully sweet!

no need for green shirts as you stated most have them of some sort, green hankys may be cool with a sponsor on them, lay them on the seats friday night during gopher series and have them bring them back for saturday night with green sirts/jerseys as well of course then do the same thing for the home playoffs with hankys

After going through that "Your Favorite College Hockey Pictures" thread over on USCHO.com, I came across the "white out".

garescore.jpg

As "thecomicbookguy" demonstrates with this picture in the thread all the fans come to the game wearing white jerseys/clothing. I decided to look this up a little bit more. According to Wikipedia the Winnipeg Jets are the ones that started the White Out tradition...

Do you think that it would be possible to do something like this at the Ralph? Maybe white, maybe green.... I'm thinking the hardest part would be getting the word out to everyone, but if we picked a game at the end of the season it couldn't be that hard... Talk to the people at the Ralph and see if we can hand out papers, have it written about in the paper, perhaps radio... Anyone else think this would be a cool idea to attempt?

i think that the atmosphere is too watered down at the ralph to try something like this and be successful. also, would everybody where a green jersey or would there be free shirts? if they could charge like $40-50 more and give a green jersey of choice size. that would be cool. not going to happen.