SiouxSports.com Forum

Unbelieveable: Forum editorializes against Va Teacher

star2city

No apologies necessary, I don't live in ND but if I was to I would choose Fargo or Bismarck.

From a person who hasn't lived in ND for 14 years, I view Fargo and GF about the same. Same weather, same topography, same work ethic, etc. Sure Fargo is bigger, but it isn't substantial enough to make a difference. We are not talking about one city being 600,000 like a Winnipeg and the other 50,000. GF's MSA is around 100,000. Fargo's MSA is about 200,000. Both cities have their pros and cons.

Bismarck is different and I would agree, is a desirable location to live.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy gave the speach as a teacher at a large high school graduation in a DC high school. Why does standing up for your community equal insecurity?
From a public relations standpoint, there are better ways to handle this that are win-win. It was a chance for Fargo to show hospitality to the teacher - that would have been truly mature. Instead, the Forum makes a big deal about it and gets in a shouting match with a third-rate teacher that no one concerns themselves with.

Communities often have their own personalities, and as someone else stated to me Fargo's tends to be "cock-sure and agressive to a fault". Grand Forks' personality is more "self-doubting and conservative" by resisting change.

Those personalities are consistent with how each community handled bad national press directed at them.

You are doing the same thing that is allegedly done on Bisonville - somehow turning an article involving Fargo into a rant against NDSU. What on earth does the article have to with NDSU?
I believe that some of Fargo's civic attitude also describes NDSU's personality, and GF's personality is reflected at UND. I merely used Bisonville's smack board as evidence of this behavior. I hardly think it was smacky in itself, but an observation. Obviously, you disagree this observation, and that is fine.

From a person who hasn't lived in ND for 14 years, I view Fargo and GF about the same. Same weather, same topography, same work ethic, etc. Sure Fargo is bigger, but it isn't substantial enough to make a difference. We are not talking about one city being 600,000 like a Winnipeg and the other 50,000. GF's MSA is around 100,000. Fargo's MSA is about 200,000. Both cities have their pros and cons.

Bismarck is different and I would agree, is a desirable location to live.

I don't understand the fascination with Bismarck. In that I am from Minot, I guess I have a natural bias against Bismarck. It has some stores, it has a junior college and the U of Mary, it has the Missouri River and the landscape is fairly nice. But other parts of ND are nicer. Minot, Williston and Dickinson are more nice topographically. For outdoorsmen, those cities have better (or closer) good fishing/hunting areas. Minot has the state fair, the Air Force base, Amtrak (all of which Bismarck begrudges) and many other amenities. Williston and Dickinson have their own positives too. Bismarck is nothing more than Fargo moved 189 miles to the west. Bismarck, especially since it claimed the #2 population spot after the 1997 GF flood, has that sickening "metro" complex just like Fargo. Really. It's just po-dunk Bismarck. It's just po-dunk Fargo, Minot, Williston, etc. I really don't get where all of that pretension comes from.

I don't understand the fascination with Bismarck. In that I am from Minot, I guess I have a natural bias against Bismarck. It has some stores, it has a junior college and the U of Mary, it has the Missouri River and the landscape is fairly nice. But other parts of ND are nicer. Minot, Williston and Dickinson are more nice topographically. For outdoorsmen, those cities have better (or closer) good fishing/hunting areas. Minot has the state fair, the Air Force base, Amtrak (all of which Bismarck begrudges) and many other amenities. Williston and Dickinson have their own positives too. Bismarck is nothing more than Fargo moved 189 miles to the west. Bismarck, especially since it claimed the #2 population spot after the 1997 GF flood, has that sickening "metro" complex just like Fargo. Really. It's just po-dunk Bismarck. It's just po-dunk Fargo, Minot, Williston, etc. I really don't get where all of that pretension comes from.

I know little of Minot, as I've only been there a couple of times in my life. I haven't been to Bismarck since 1985, but I spent a lot of time there in the early 80's and thought it was a pretty neat area. It was just such a change from GF.

The only thing that I would have against Minot is that it is remote. Bismarck has I-94 which makes it seem less remote.

Precisely.

Redneck Games

And anybody from Fargo calling somebody from GF a "redneck" just because they live there really needs to get a reality check.

You obviously don't know how to read hence your probably a redneck. If your married to your cousin your definetly a redneck. I will try one more time for you to understand, read carefully now. I don't live in Fargo. Read that again. I don't live in Fargo. Now if you still don't understand go back to your porch and chew on some more straw and talk about how many cars you have parked in your front yard that you can't see in the tall grass.

You might be a redneck if you type you're as "your" on multiple occasions.

your probably a redneck

If your married to your cousin your definetly a redneck

In all seriousness, having lived in Oklahoma for 6 years, I feel pretty good about my redneck radar. There are a few up here, but not nearly in the quantity in OK/TX/etc.

Aaron

You obviously don't know how to read hence your probably a redneck. If your married to your cousin your definetly a redneck. I will try one more time for you to understand, read carefully now. I don't live in Fargo. Read that again. I don't live in Fargo. Now if you still don't understand go back to your porch and chew on some more straw and talk about how many cars you have parked in your front yard that you can't see in the tall grass.

And your fine 'su education is rearing its fugly little head. Quite frankly, I'm glad you don't live in Fargo, not that I really care where you schlep around. You only lower the average IQ, pollute the local gene pool and increase the local demand for lutefisk and Schlitz wherever you live.

What is even better than the cars is in the yard is having major appliances, such as washers and dryers in the yard. That is a true "you know you-re a redneck if...". :silly:

Can we stop all this red neck bashing y'all? Anyone caught any good cats in the red lately?

And your fine 'su education is rearing its fugly little head. Quite frankly, I'm glad you don't live in Fargo, not that I really care where you schlep around. You only lower the average IQ, pollute the local gene pool and increase the local demand for lutefisk and Schlitz wherever you live.

Spoken by a true Redneck. Only a redneck knows that Schlitz is still available. I thought that went out of production years ago. Talk about lowering the gene pool. :silly:

Well because I don't know anyone up here that likes the Herald. Most people I know read the Forum online or buy one. I don't ever hear people say good things about the Herald. That's just my experience.

Vaht!?!? You don't like a newspaper because you don't know anyone that likes it? :silly: Sorry, dear, but someone rating a paper not on actually having read it but on what other people say about it must be, well, must be from Fargo. :silly:

GF is a way stinkier armpit than Fargo! :silly:

People that haven't lived or been to ND don't have any right to pass judgement. It's all based upon stereotypes and they are like the insecure people all over over the US that need to bash something to make themselves feel better. I have lived in the south (hated it), I currently live in the Pacific Northwest (love it, but I have only been here for a month) and every place I have been has it's good and bad. The south has a lot more bad IMO than where I am now but I would not mind living in ND again, I just couldn't suffer another stint in Grand Forks. College was more than enough Grand Forks for me.

I love the Herald....always have. It's a fine local newspaper. The Forum is good, too. Two great papers owned by the same company on bookends of the Valley, Forum Comm. sure knows a good deal when it sees one and is a shrewd investor.

<Soliloquy> I grew up in ND. Having lived outside of North Dakota for nearly 4 years, I came to realize that cities the size (and even quite a bit larger) than Fargo or Bismarck are a dime a dozen once you get out of ND. All areas in ND have decent access to good fishing/hunting and all areas in ND are good places to raise a family. That's where my priorities are shifting now. I visited home last week and I think people back there take for granted how laid back the lifestyle is in ND, I hope to return someday under the right circumstances. </Soliloquy>

As a long-time resident of Grand Forks, here is my perspective on this (take it for what it's worth):

1) Grand Forks - My hometown for 30 years. Went to Central High School (class of 1993) and UND (class of 1998 and 2000). Now I work at UND thanks to Kupchella's dedication to research. Very nice community with good people and good schools. Housing costs are a concern. Showing some significant growth on the south-end. Has a major inferiority complex when it comes to progress and economic growth (if we don't have it, we don't need it; if we have it, we should try to get rid of it). Thinks that what worked 50 years ago is good enough for now and forever. Most GF economic growth is because of UND's increasing research mission and not because of what the Economic Development Corporation (EDC) has (not) done. They have too much power and shouldn't be making policy decisions. Nobody elected them to anything. The goal of the Council and the Mayor seems to be to butter the bread of local businesses and not increasing economic opportunity for our young people and working class families. GF has a lot of potential, but needs better leadership to realize it.

2) Fargo - Largest city in North Dakota (there, I said it! ;)), with a positive and forward-looking attitude towards economic development and progress on slowing down and stopping outmigration. On the negative side, there is way too much traffic, public infrastructure has not kept up with population growth. Has a major superiority complex with relation to the rest of North Dakota. Everything north of Harwood, west of Casselton and south of Horace just doesn't matter and/or isn't important. "Imperial Cass County", as I like to call the Fargo area, thinks it's entitled to whatever it wants and whines when it doesn't get it. Some people are still whining and crying about the National Weather Service office moving to GF in the mid-1990's (along with the Radar site to Mayville). The movie "Fargo" was filmed mostly in Northeast ND and Minnesota, but if you listened to "Imperial Cass County" boosters, you would think that it was about them. :silly: In the minds of some Fargoians, "the rest of ND could go to Hades in a Handbasket, but as long as we are doing well, that is all that matters." Fargo also has a futile longing to be just like Minneapolis. The Fargodome (Metrodome), The Fargo Walk of Fame (Hollywood Walk of Fame) and the Fargo Marathon (Boston Marathon) are examples of an inferiority complex in relation to those larger metro areas. I am not saying that those things are bad or having them is wrong, but I think part of the motive is to become the next Minneapolis. And before someone points out the Alerus Center being built as an answer to the Fargodome, let me point out that GF spent years and years debating the Event Center question before finally approving the Aurora (now Alerus). One could argue that Fargo ripped the idea off of Grand Forks (credit to them for showing the initiative).

3) Bismarck - The seat of North Dakota government. I have been there several times (mostly on my way to other places). Seems to have more locally-owned restaurants than GF or Fargo. Would be an even better city if Bismarck State was a larger, four-year institution and the city had more of a college flavor to it (that is what is great about GF). Wouldn't mind living there if that is where life took me.

4) Minot - Used to visit there all the time when I was a kid and my parents wanted to visit relatives. My grandparents on my mother's side used to live in Drake, ND (down the road on HWY 52). Kind of a weird town. North Dakota State Fair and Zoo only reasons to visit, IMHO. More reflects the Western North Dakota culture than Bismarck does. Will likely continue to struggle with population loss.

5) Honorable Mention (Hillsboro, Grafton, Mayville-Portland) - Hillsboro is in a good location (between GF and Fargo) and has a Burger King right on the Interstate :silly:. Grafton has Marvin Windows (beat GF for it, too! ;)) and I think has some potential for future growth. May-Port would suffer greatly if Mayville State ever closed, but right now is a nice area.

That's my two cents (and then some).

My opinions which don't mean squat:

1. Both the Heraldo and the Fraud suck because the editorials are always against what most people believ to be true. The writing might be ok but the editorials suck big time.

2. Fargo is a bigger version of GF. While I wouldn't mind living in either, they both fail to use their resources wisely.

3. Bismarck is the place to be in ND. While Minot might have better views, Bismarck makes the most out of what they have. They have less people than Fargo but offer so much more than Fargo does. This being done without a major university which is very suprising.

1. Both the Heraldo and the Fraud suck because the editorials are always against what most people believ to be true. The writing might be ok but the editorials suck big time.

The overall quality and quantity of content of the Heraldo (copyright KJ 108's Big Dogz :silly:) has gotten better since Forum Communications took over. Knight-Ridder was too concerned with cost-cutting and profit margins and not concerned enough with quality content. Forum Communications has addressed this.

As for the editorials, sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't. I will say that The Forum leans to the right politically and the Heraldo is center-left (any paper with a conservative like Tom Dennis as the editorial editor cannot be called a liberal rag, however). No paper is perfect, but the Forum and Heraldo are light years ahead of the Minot Daily News and the Bismarck Tribune. The Tribune is run by hard-core neoconservatives and the Daily News just isn't very good in terms of content. Those of us that live next to the Red River are fortunate that we don't have to put up with any of that crap.

End rant.