SiouxSports.com Forum

Canada to host back to back WJC

WiSioux

Canada will host back-to-back world junior hockey championships beginning in 2009.

Hockey Canada was awarded the 2010 tournament at the International Ice Hockey Federation general congress meeting on Friday after no other countries bid for the event.

Canada Awarded back-to-back World Jr's

I did not attend the World Juniors when they were in Grand Forks (as I was a stupid freshman and didn't realize how AWESOME they'd be) but I thought from all that I have read that The Ralph did a fantastic job hosting... just wondering if anyone has any opinions on why no other country would have submitted a bid... I'm all for bringing the World Juniors back to Grand Forks!

I did not attend the World Juniors when they were in Grand Forks (as I was a stupid freshman and didn't realize how AWESOME they'd be) but I thought from all that I have read that The Ralph did a fantastic job hosting... just wondering if anyone has any opinions on why no other country would have submitted a bid... I'm all for bringing the World Juniors back to Grand Forks!

I heard basically something about a cold day in hell.

must not be a very lucrative event

The story notes that the tourney will be in the U.S. in 2011, so I'm sure they were hoping for a European bidder. I'd love to see a combined Winnipeg-Grand Forks bid for the World Championships, but not sure Winnipeg would do it with the Moose being in the playoffs at that time of the year.

The story notes that the tourney will be in the U.S. in 2011, so I'm sure they were hoping for a European bidder. I'd love to see a combined Winnipeg-Grand Forks bid for the World Championships, but not sure Winnipeg would do it with the Moose being in the playoffs at that time of the year.

Is this tournament being moved from the normal dates of late December/Early January?

Winnipeg? why would they have two rinks that far apart? The little Ralph did just fine the last time. Don't know why the Ralph didn't bid for the two years Canada got it. the logos don't have anything to do with WJC competition.

Is this tournament being moved from the normal dates of late December/Early January?

No. The World Juniors will stay around Christmas/New Years. I believe what nodakvindy was referring to was the possiblity of Winnipeg / Grand Forks cohosting the World Championships, which are held annually in May (where Toews is) usually in European cities. The World Championships are much larger events (16 teams vs 10 for juniors) with more traveling fans, so typically more than one major venue is needed. The World Championships are for the first time being rotated out of Europe (Halifax is hosting next year), so possibly a US (or US/Canada cohost) bid from venues without NHL/AHL teams would be considered, like an REA/Mariucci bid.

http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/main_s..._wchost_051407/

Three events for the REA to consider hosting:

May 14, 2007

Events In 2009, 2011 and 2012 To Be Staged In United States

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- USA Hockey announced today that the International Ice Hockey Federation has granted it the right to host three upcoming World Championships, including the 2009 IIHF World Men

I'd say Grand Forks has a credible shot at both the U18 and the Women's Championship. I'd think the Juniors will go to a larger media market, in fact I could it going to the Twin Cities with the Xcel and Ridder (or Mariucci if they didn't care about different arena dimensions) Arena or possibly Denver with the Pepsi Center and Magness. I think if Grand Forks does bid again for the Juniors, it would make more sense to have the new Fargo rink as the secondary arena. Attendance in Thief River was very poor and logistics are better for the trip from Fargo to Grand Forks. It's also obviously a much bigger market and many of the people travelling will fly into Fargo anyway.

REA to submit bid for 2011 World Juniors

Ralph Engelstad Arena will submit a bid to host hockey's 2011 World Junior Championship, officials said Monday.

The International Ice Hockey Federation awarded the high-profile tournament to USA Hockey along with the 2009 World Under-18 tournament and the 2012 World Women's Championship.

Engelstad Arena likely will submit a bid for the Under-18 tournament but probably will pass on the women's championship.

I'd say Grand Forks has a credible shot at both the U18 and the Women's Championship. I'd think the Juniors will go to a larger media market, in fact I could it going to the Twin Cities with the Xcel and Ridder (or Mariucci if they didn't care about different arena dimensions) Arena or possibly Denver with the Pepsi Center and Magness. I think if Grand Forks does bid again for the Juniors, it would make more sense to have the new Fargo rink as the secondary arena. Attendance in Thief River was very poor and logistics are better for the trip from Fargo to Grand Forks. It's also obviously a much bigger market and many of the people travelling will fly into Fargo anyway.

Why wouldn't Grand Forks have a good shot at the World Juniors? Didn't they set a U.S. attendance record? The U.S. hockey people said they liked how it was "THE" event in Grand Forks where it was overshadowed in bigger markets and not given the proper media attention. I don't think the clamor for Junior hockey has changed all that much in the major markets.

Why wouldn't Grand Forks have a good shot at the World Juniors? Didn't they set a U.S. attendance record? The U.S. hockey people said they liked how it was "THE" event in Grand Forks where it was overshadowed in bigger markets and not given the proper media attention. I don't think the clamor for Junior hockey has changed all that much in the major markets.

A WDAZ report last night quoted Chris Semrau, who stated that the REA would likely bid on the Juniors and U18 championships.

The U18 championships attract relatively low crowds, even in Canada, but they would be the most beneficial to the Sioux program.

As the paper says, it may be an issue if Winnipeg gets the World Juniors, they might not want to have it again so close. Also, it would be odd if they didn't allow GF to host because they were the last U.S. city to host. Seems to me if it is supported well, stick with a successful formula. That said, I don't think they will have nearly the number of ticket packages sold prior to the tournament. People will think they can get tickets out front very cheap like last time, but with not as many people buying the packages, they will be in for a rude surprise and have to pay the $30-$40 price at the ticket booth for a single game, which means the U.S. and Canada games will be the only games that have a decent attendance next time. That would be my guess anyway.