SiouxSports.com Forum

AD on Mac Talk

legend334

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. I forgot. :lol:

That means I can't be a genius, either. I wonder how I got hired? ???

The two with the most posts on here are obviously the genius'. Since no one elses opinion matters. The two master posters always have a opinion, and they always know what is going on!! Brilliant!!!

Discussion of the job performance of coaches, players, and administrators is welcome. These sorts of scurrilous personal attacks most certainly are not.

I'm going to leave the thread open for now, but this better be the end of these untoward remarks.

The two with the most posts on here are obviously the genius'. Since no one elses opinion matters. The two master posters always have a opinion, and they always know what is going on!! Brilliant!!!

Why are you dragging "redwing77" into this? :glare:

Have I given my opinion? Yup.

Have I challenged the opinions of others? Yup.

But please show me when (or where) have I said, "no one elses (sic) opinion matters".

Wow! The new women's hockey coach hasn't even been introduced to the public yet, and everyone is screaming for Buning's head.

Give the guy some chance to prove that he can do the job before you throw him off of the bridge for cripes sake......

Last I remember the majority of you could have cared less if UND even had a women's hockey program. Put your butts in the seats and then you have a reason to complain if the coach doesn't get the job done......otherwise, shut your mouths.

Hockey Mom - That is great advise for all the nay-sayers!

Crickets chirping..................

The silence is deafening......................

So, nothing then?

When Lennon eventually leaves, Buning won't hire the right coach to replace him. I think we can be angry in advance about that. :glare:

Wow! The new women's hockey coach hasn't even been introduced to the public yet, and everyone is screaming for Buning's head.

Give the guy some chance to prove that he can do the job before you throw him off of the bridge for cripes sake......

Last I remember the majority of you could have cared less if UND even had a women's hockey program. Put your butts in the seats and then you have a reason to complain if the coach doesn't get the job done......otherwise, shut your mouths.

HockeyMom, Thanks for having the right response.

And other than the hemorraging of money the woman's program does on the athletic department budget, I dont give one ounce about the woman's hockey program here at UND(just being honest). But it in fact has a HUGE negative effect on the athletic departments budget, which in turn affects the men's hockey program at UND. The woman's program has already had a great negative affect on the men's hockey budget and it has no signs of slowing down(many may not know,but our men's hockey program is in fact greatly underfunded when compared to all the other top programs in the country). So no matter who the coach is I wont be attending anytime soon. BUT OTHERS MAY HAVE! AND THE HIRING OF THIS COACH WONT EXCITE ANYMORE PEOPLE TO SHOW UP AT THE GAMES, WHEREAS THE OTHER CANIDATES WE HAVE MENTIONED WOULD HAVE!

Bottom line is no one knows if any of the canidates would have succeded or failed at the job, but I think we can all agree that if the HRKAC CIRCUS reunited at UND for WHATEVER REASON, it would have put more butts in the seats no matter what they did or where they did it at UND. That chance alone was worth hiring Steve Johnson!

One more thing, AS I STATED IN THE OTHER THREAD ABOUT BOB JOYCE COMMITING TO BEING AN ASSISTANT COACH, TONY HRKAC WAS IN FACT SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING JOINING THEM ON THE BENCH.

AGAIN ,THAT ALONE WAS WORTH THE CHANCE OF HIRING STEVE JOHNSON!

I guess people like you are one of the reasons Title IX came into being and is a law rather than a suggestion.

Plus bringing in people to coach because they were a name locally once upon a time would be doing a great disservice to the young woman on the team when a better coach was available.

I would like to see people from in-house be hired for jobs and given the first chance at the job. Face it, women's hockey is doing nothing for anyone right now, I see that as the main problem. Long term, no one has but a guess who can turn it around. But if they were good, how would they be doing anyways. I'm sure you couldn't give away many tickets, much less sell them.

I would like to see people from in-house be hired for jobs and given the first chance at the job. Face it, women's hockey is doing nothing for anyone right now, I see that as the main problem. Long term, no one has but a guess who can turn it around. But if they were good, how would they be doing anyways. I'm sure you couldn't give away many tickets, much less sell them.

I would agree with you to a degree but now I think we might want to see what the new guy can do, I am not ready to throw him under the bus just yet. Bunning hasn't been too bad in my opinion.

I feel that most of the criticism of the Women's Hockey hire have more to do with process than end result. Why limit the school and insult some applicants with strong Sioux ties unnecessairly. My complaint with the AD has more to do with funding of DI than anything else. I am one of many hockey ticket holders who were told that the price of two tickets is going up $400 or else you can sit in the upper bowl. What a load of crap. If this was the seating rule when we first picked our seats, I could live with it. Now they feel like they have us over a barrel and are trying to squeeze every cent out. We need more of a corperate atmosphere at the Ralph (sarcasm). I believe that the move to DI was poorly thought out, especially when it comes to finances. There isn't a lot of new money to be gotten, especially with many loyal Sioux fans shelling out top dollar for hockey. I hope all Sioux fans are prepared to be nickled and dimed to death (look at parking fees for the shuttlefor example. This community does not have enough extra money for athletics to fund what they need. In addition, the Betty apparently will not do for DI basketball and it isn't even paid off. This latest ticket ripoff has made me a permanent supporter of anyone but Bunning. I hope he gets a clue that there is more to running a good athletic department than doing pushups.

My complaint with the AD has more to do with funding of DI than anything else. I am one of many hockey ticket holders who were told that the price of two tickets is going up $400 or else you can sit in the upper bowl. What a load of crap. If this was the seating rule when we first picked our seats, I could live with it. Now they feel like they have us over a barrel and are trying to squeeze every cent out. We need more of a corperate atmosphere at the Ralph (sarcasm). I believe that the move to DI was poorly thought out, especially when it comes to finances. There isn't a lot of new money to be gotten, especially with many loyal Sioux fans shelling out top dollar for hockey. I hope all Sioux fans are prepared to be nickled and dimed to death (look at parking fees for the shuttlefor example. This community does not have enough extra money for athletics to fund what they need. In addition, the Betty apparently will not do for DI basketball and it isn't even paid off. This latest ticket ripoff has made me a permanent supporter of anyone but Bunning. I hope he gets a clue that there is more to running a good athletic department than doing pushups.
Do you really think that staying DII is a viable option? If not, then do you think a successful DI experience will be more or less expensive than DII? From where should these additional funds be sought in your view?

Do you really think that staying DII is a viable option? If not, then do you think a successful DI experience will be more or less expensive than DII? From where should these additional funds be sought in your view?

In my opinion, a DI move should only be done if criteria are met before the move - namely confernce affiliation in place - funding sources identified or in place, and a reasonable reassurance that we will be competative. Right now, the only program that this move benefits is Football (suprise that this is the only sport with a 1AA option.) This could be the demise of Basketball, and all of the men's minor sports. I don't think that any of these criteria were met before the move. As to the funding - I just don't believe that it will be there. Many fans like me don't have unlimited funds to spend on sports - the increase in hockey tickets really burns me. We seem to be sacrificing loyal Sioux fans (who may be priced out of many things) for corporations or deep pockets who look at sports as social hour or corperate intertainment. I know that Division II has some problems but the funding crunch will soon affect everyone. There is already talk of doubling student fees and I don't know of any group that has less funds than students. I am worried that the loyal fan will soon be priced out of many things Sioux or treated like second class citizens because of money. I think we rushed into this decision - It feels like it was decided long before the facts were in.

I am one of many hockey ticket holders who were told that the price of two tickets is going up $400 or else you can sit in the upper bowl.

... - the increase in hockey tickets really burns me.

Help me out here. When was that? I must have missed it. (My seat price hasn't changed recently.) Was that only for certain levels of FSC?

.... and a reasonable reassurance that we will be competative.

What would you need to see to see that?

That seems like "Catch-22": You won't be assured you'll be successful until you try, but you won't try until you're successful.

Help me out here. When was that? I must have missed it. (My seat price hasn't changed recently.)

When we selected seats, some lower bowl end seats were availabe if you were members of the varsity club (300 contribution plus ticket price) This put the cost of two tickets at somewere over $1000 (a significant amount.) Now, everyone who is a Varsity Club member in the lower bowl received a letter stating that unless they up their contribution $400 (to the next level) they will be reseated in the upper bowl. My complaints with this tactic are many, but to point out a few: - If they had told us this was the rule when we selected seats, there may have been some decent alternatives available if we didn't want to spend the money - now what do you think is left. Secondly, if we had known about this when we picked our seats, we may have had the option of purchasing 4 tickets instead of two and partnered with someone. This would have helped with the overall cost and may have given us even better seats based on the numbering criteria. Now this option is no longer available either. Now, we are basically being told "pay $400 more or you will lose the seats you have had since the Ralph opened and given whatever undesirable seats are left. Our first year we had parking in the Barnes and Noble lot. That was taken away the first year. Then it was the shuttle bus - now it is $5 for the shuttle bus. This tactic of holding us up for $400 just because they have us over a barrel just plain bites. It seems like we have no good seating options left. This is no way to build fan loyalty - I'm sure they would like to sell our seats to some corporate person with a deep pocket and no history of loyalty to the Sioux. I'm afraid this is the future of a Bunning led Athletic Department. If this doesn't upset you because your seats are not affected, just wait - your turn to get worked over may be comming also. This experience has turned me into a serious anti-Bunning person - I'm so mad at this, I could spit. I hope other loyal fans stick up for the minority who are getting screwed. We were notified about this change by letter - no other imput than "cough up another $400 or we will take your seats and leave you with crap" Heck of a way to run a department.

Irish,

I feel your pain, and I agree with alot of your posts and conclusions. However I do not feel that this is the Athletic Directors total fault, He may be responsible on how it gets administered, Letters are not the best. I believe this is the price we are going to pay for the "New Ralph". It was a problem when Roger Thomas was the AD also, how do we balance our Athletic Budget? It Seems our Athletic Budgets keep pace with our Increased Revenues in Total, but I believe that it is the inner allocations that have changed, Every Coach I have talked with has said their budgets have been cut, and then these funds seem to go to either funding of the Betty or now for increased rentals.

I certainly do not have the answer, but as I have always said we have a "Strange Arrangement" at best with the REA, as to athletic funding. We currently have to pay to use Facilites for Hockey, B Ball, Volleyball, Football. 7 Years ago (Good old Days) we did not, plus the fact that we had revenue streams in Ticket Sales, Concessions, Marketing ect..

I was pleased to see the Carr report pointed this out, and questioned the relationship.

I wish I had the answers, but I do feel whoever was in Athletic Adimistration would be having the same difficultlies, can they be handled better, I'm sure, but again some of that is also REA...(Take em or Leave em Attitute). I'm not talking about the Current REA Staff either , Jody has been great and done Good things, Alot is beyond his control. It is the REA trust that is really in charge a Board of 5-7, that do not all agree......I wish Ralph was still here, I feel things would be different.

I have also found myself down sizing from Directors with 8 Tickets to all Sports, To Coaches Club with 4 tickets to all sports, and Next year who knows, and this has happened in all in the last 5 years.

Anyway all we can do now is support what we can, corperate America seems here to stay, everywhere..... :D