SiouxSports.com Forum

Duncan, Chorney staying

PCM

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think by having Dunc, Chorney, and TJ staying it makes the decision on Taves that much harder. We also cant forget about Finley who is also a #1 pick. I'm a die hard caps fan as well but I would prefer Joe to stay at UND for another year.

look for tj to stay as well!!

I think sometimes "we" give these young men too little credit as far as making decisions that are best for them. Obviously staying in the college atmosphere/setting is what is best for alot of these guys. Some will feel that turning professional is what is best. But in a day and age of greedy, me! me! athletes (MLB and NBA players at the top of the list), it is refreshing to see these 2 young men put friendships, teammates and an experience that college provide as a priority at this point in their lives.

Now with that being said, I would not have any issues if Toews, Lee or Oshie turns pro or stays for another year. Although it would be nice to have them all around next year, I have no doubt that each will make the best decision for them down the road. And those decisions, whether "we" approve or not, should be respected.

What college hockey fan would understand if say LaPoint's(just to use a name) junior team almost wins national junior championship, he has some very good friends that will be back on the same team next year, loves his coach. He plays 75 games, has no school or job to deal with, plays 27 minutes a game, first team power play, first team penalty kill, 18 year old puck bunnies. College coach wants him to come this year, probably 12 minutes a game, little or no special team time. Long walk to class at 8:45 in Jan, Feb. 18-21 year old puck bunnies. If he said no to college coach, everybody would think he is insane, lazy, scared, or stupid.

Sometimes the offers from the pros are just the next step, no algebra, no dorm rooms, more hockey, more spending money(unless parents already loaded), 18-31 year old puck bunnies. Sometimes the potential new boss wants you to sign now, and getting off on the wrong foot may not be wise. (See Jack Johnson). And for most kids pros are the real dream, juniors(or HS) and college are a step in the process.

The step from juniors to college is a no brainer for you, why is the next step somehow disloyal and short sighted?