SiouxSports.com Forum

Duncan, Chorney staying

PCM

Need I remind you all that sometimes players say things so they can get a better deal from the team that drafted them? Duncan's stock is very high right now. In order to get the most money, he has to say things like "I'll be back next year".

I'm not saying they won't be back but it is FAR too early to be counting on them sticking to their word.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need I remind you all that sometimes players say things so they can get a better deal from the team that drafted them? Duncan's stock is very high right now. In order to get the most money, he has to say things like "I'll be back next year".

I'm not saying they won't be back but it is FAR too early to be counting on them sticking to their word.

Just look at the character of Duncan, if he says he's coming back. He's coming back. End of Story

Your 2nd post and you want to rain on everyone's parade :( Next time bring some positivity :D

Your 2nd post and you want to rain on everyone's parade :( Next time bring some positivity :D

I don't mean to rain on people's parade, I'm just being realistic. It happens all the time where someone says they are coming back, but end up not. I want them to stay as much as the next guy, but the sports world is funny. Nick Saban came out and said that he will not be the next Alabama coach. What happened with that.

I think it's naive to think that players don't have any ulterior motives when they announce they are coming back.

By the way, I did put a positive post on the Lee/Finley Fan club thread.

Certainly nothing is guaranteed. However, there's a difference between saying "I plan to return" when nobody has yet offered you a deal and "I'm coming back" after you've turned one down.

In order to get the most money, he has to say things like "I'll be back next year".

Well then, that would mean that Ryan Duncan is a liar, wouldn't it? If I have learned anything from watching Ryan speak the last two years, if he says he'll be back, he will be back. He (and his dad) strikes me as the kind of person that could agree on a pro contract with a hand shake, and live up to his part of the bargain.

He also fits the profile of a player that plays the game he loves, just for the sake of playing it. The addition of being able to make money playing a game for a living would just be an added bonus for the guy....on any level.

You don't have to second guess Duncan's motives. He says he's coming back, and he will come back. His charachter is not in question, and I don't think it will ever be.

Well then, that would mean that Ryan Duncan is a liar, wouldn't it? If I have learned anything from watching Ryan speak the last two years, if he says he'll be back, he will be back. He (and his dad) strikes me as the kind of person that could agree on a pro contract with a hand shake, and live up to his part of the bargain.

He also fits the profile of a player that plays the game he loves, just for the sake of playing it. The addition of being able to make money playing a game for a living would just be an added bonus for the guy....on any level.

You don't have to second guess Duncan's motives. He says he's coming back, and he will come back. His charachter is not in question, and I don't think it will ever be.

I'm not questioning his character. I'm just saying this is how the game is played. Have you ever applied for a new job and lied about how much you were currently making in order to get more from the new company? Does that make you a liar or of poor character?

I'm not questioning his character. I'm just saying this is how the game is played. Have you ever applied for a new job and lied about how much you were currently making in order to get more from the new company? Does that make you a liar or of poor character?

No, I haven't. I quit my job to start my own business. And it would make you both a liar and someone with poor character. I'm saying that doesn't seem like the way that Ryan Duncan would play the game.

Also, thank you for spelling character correctly for me, I was struggling with it. :D

Duncan's not been drafted, right? Someone said as a free agent NHL teams can't talk to him yet. (Although I 'spose an agent could talk to the family).

Still who wouldn't expect that a free agent Hobey Baker winner wouldn't get the top Rookie deal?

No, I haven't. I quit my job to start my own business. And it would make you both a liar and someone with poor character. I'm saying that doesn't seem like the way that Ryan Duncan would play the game.

Also, thank you for spelling character correctly for me, I was struggling with it. :D

My question was more hypothetical but good for you for starting your own business. I'm jealous..seriously. The fact of the matter is that when it comes to money, people are always going to fib. "Officer, I didn't know how fast I was going." "The light was yellow when I went through it." etc...

Athletes do it all the time to gain more leverage. Personally I don't consider them to be of poor character to try to use as much leverage as possible to get as much money as possible. If you honestly believe that Duncan would turn down a new offer that knocks him off his feet simply because he already said he is coming back then I would like to know what color the sky is there. You have to strike while the iron is hot and I don't see it getting any hotter than it is right now.

I don't doubt that right now, Duncan says he's coming back. It's just that there is a long summer ahead and lots more time for offers to come his way

Duncan's not been drafted, right? Someone said as a free agent NHL teams can't talk to him yet. (Although I 'spose an agent could talk to the family).

Still who wouldn't expect that a free agent Hobey Baker winner wouldn't get the top Rookie deal?

Yesterday's Herald article said:

Duncan, who is undrafted, received several free-agent offers after putting together an outstanding season.

If Duncan were to leave at this point because some team upped there ante significantly, I hope you all wouldn't be too tough on him. He of all the players is the only one who isn't pretty much gauranteed a shot at the next level. Toews, Lee, Chorney, Oshie, Finley are all going to get a shot at some point whether or not they stay healthy or perform well next year at UND.

The same is not true for Duncan. He gets hurt or for some reason can't get anything going next year, he is going to have to really grind through the minors to prove his worth.

I'm truly impressed with the commitments from Oshie and Chorney, but Duncan impresses me the most. If he turned down nice bonus offers and a AHL roster spot to return to UND, you all should be getting Duncan name plates for your jerseys.

The fact of the matter is that when it comes to money, people are always going to fib. "Officer, I didn't know how fast I was going." "The light was yellow when I went through it." etc...

:( Actually, from my experience with that, most people told the truth when asked. :D

I am thinking that Reality check is a TROLL

Skippy Aleart

Because I'm bringing a little realism to a thread, I'm a troll? Look what Sagard just posted. He mentions to not be too hard if Duncan accepts an offer. Is he a troll too.

I just don't like pure wide eyed, rosey colored glasses optimism. It has gotten me burned before. It's fine to be optimistic but you have to temper that with realism.

Because I'm bringing a little realism to a thread, I'm a troll? Look what Sagard just posted. He mentions to not be too hard if Duncan accepts an offer. Is he a troll too.

I just don't like pure wide eyed, rosey colored glasses optimism. It has gotten me burned before. It's fine to be optimistic but you have to temper that with realism.

How about you just joined today and thats you 6th post and you have done nothing but tell people that Duncan is lying. That in my definition makes you a

TROLL I would be willing to bet your a gopher fan too. Sagard also has been here longer than an hour.

Edited by Goon

How about you just joined today and thats you 6th post and you have done nothing but tell people that Duncan is lying. That in my definition makes you a

TROLL I would be willing to bet your a gopher fan too. Sagard also has been here longer than an hour.

Look, if you want to consider me a troll..fine. I can't change that. In my mind a troll comes on to slams the opposing team after a loss and boasts and brags to no end. I have never nor will ever do that.

I'm just saying that its far to soon to automatically assume that Duncan will be back, even though he says he is. If some team were to come and offer him the rookie maximum, I've got to believe that he would change his mind. I think that's realistic, not negative and would not reflect poorly on his character. And I don't think it is very "troll-like' to believe or state that.

I'm just saying that its far to soon to automatically assume that Duncan will be back, even though he says he is. If some team were to come and offer him the rookie maximum, I've got to believe that he would change his mind. I think that's realistic, not negative and would not reflect poorly on his character. And I don't think it is very "troll-like' to believe or state that.

Funny thing is that when I check out PGL today they were saying the same thing. I find it funny that Gophers fans are now lecturing the rest of the league on which player is leaving or percieved as lying. I think if Duncan came to coaches office with a couple of other players and said they are staying then so be it. Not to mention I believe his father was a big time Fighting Sioux player himself. Lee Goren did the same thing when Boston wanted to sign him. Goron came back and helped lead the team to an NCAA title. Me thinks some fans of other teams are concerned that UND might not lose as much as some have predicted making them a force next season.

Funny thing is that when I check out PGL today they were saying the same thing. I find it funny that Gophers fans are now lecturing the rest of the league on which player is leaving or percieved as lying. I think if Duncan came to coaches office with a couple of other players and said they are staying then so be it. Not to mention I believe his father was a big time Fighting Sioux player himself. Lee Goren did the same thing when Boston wanted to sign him. Goron came back and helped lead the team to an NCAA title. Me thinks some fans of other teams are concerned that UND might not lose as much as some have predicted making them a force next season.

Boy...tough crowd. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't blame Duncan one bit if he changes his mind because some team makes him an offer he can't refuse. Nor would I consider him a liar if he did. By the way, I have not once called him a liar.

Boy...tough crowd. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't blame Duncan one bit if he changes his mind because some team makes him an offer he can't refuse. Nor would I consider him a liar if he did. By the way, I have not once called him a liar.

anyone can change their mind at anytime for any reason. do i think all 3 will stay? yes i do.....but if anyone decided that it was best i wouldnt be suprised and wouldnt fault them at all as a fan. cant wait to stomp the defending champs at the ralph to start the year!!