SiouxSports.com Forum

Derek Shepherd

Labrat

I was watching the game.

The biggest blown call was a goal that Derrick was overruled by his dad up in the replay booth.

A BC player dove for the puck and crashed into the goalie. The first save was made. The second shot went off of a crossbar and the third went in the net.

Derrick Sheppard was emphatic that that was a goal. He was overruled for two obvious reasons. The net was pushed off (just barely but obvious from the press box camera.) and the BC player had pushed the goalie into the back of the net.

It was a terrible call thankfully there was a replay.

Watching the game pissed me off even though I wasn't that much into the game.

I was just thinking about Bruce McCloud's claim that the WCHA was the best officiated. It sure as heck wasn't in evidence this weekend. Sheppard was the only one I saw, twice, and he was his usual worthless self.

I was watching the game.

The biggest blown call was a goal that Derrick was overruled by his dad up in the replay booth.

A BC player dove for the puck and crashed into the goalie. The first save was made. The second shot went off of a crossbar and the third went in the net.

Derrick Sheppard was emphatic that that was a goal. He was overruled for two obvious reasons. The net was pushed off (just barely but obvious from the press box camera.) and the BC player had pushed the goalie into the back of the net.

It was a terrible call thankfully there was a replay.

Watching the game pissed me off even though I wasn't that much into the game.

I was just thinking about Bruce McCloud's claim that the WCHA was the best officiated. It sure as heck wasn't in evidence this weekend. Sheppard was the only one I saw, twice, and he was his usual worthless self.

I believe HE officials worked the games in Denver - I would take them over WCHA boys any day.

Anderson was savaged on air by the radio crew doing the UNH/Miami game. Imagine him letting infractions go and being inconsistant.

I listened to the Internet broadcast of that game. The phrase "out of control" was used a great deal.

Honestly does that suprise anyone they pick a team they want to win and then take the other time behnd the woodshed for a good beating.

Look at last weeks final five not going to complain about it all but in the gopher game across the span of a minute or so Okposo held JT down on the ice right in front of shepard and nothing happens going down into the Sioux end JT does the same thing and gets an obstruction holding call from shepard. That even gopher fans couldnt believe just happened.

I thought the officials in the Sioux games this weekend did a pretty good job.

Of course, it's easy to be complimentary in the MI game as the Sioux had a nice edge in PP opp's, but it seemed that they were deserved.

I thought the UND/MN was well done.

Of course, it's easy to be complimentary in the MI game as the Sioux had a nice edge in PP opp's, but it seemed that they were deserved.

Overall, decent officials, but that Bina call really irked me...

I hate to give the officals props but they weren't bad.

I hate to give the officals props but they weren't bad.

I agree. Even with the sordid past Hanson had (the official for the UND/Michigan game) he did rather well. I assume it was him again and I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

If there was one CCHA ref, good or bad, I'd expect to see at the Frozen Four it would be Matt Shegos. He's been there before, even calling the NC game in 1997 between UND and BU.

As for the waved off goal, I disagree with the Whistler. Looking at the goal real time, it did look like the puck went in before the net was off its moorings...barely. Shep made the best call he knew how and Daddy corrected him using technology.

Shep and Anderson are indeed inconsistent, but they are more apt towards situational officiating (enforcing an on-ice parity based on subjective, on the fly, criteria no doubt) and make up calls.

I'd predict (poorly more than likely) that this would be the official conference of the NC game based upon matchups:

WCHA vs. HEA: CCHA official

CCHA vs. HEA: WCHA official

HEA vs. HEA: CCHA or WCHA official

Not stepping out onto a limb here. :silly:

As for the waved off goal, I disagree with the Whistler. Looking at the goal real time, it did look like the puck went in before the net was off its moorings...barely. Shep made the best call he knew how and Daddy corrected him using technology.

I don't mind being disagreed with, but...

It was a horrible call because the goalie was in the back of the net with a BC guy laying on top of him. There were two obvious shots after the collision.

He was emphatic about it being a goal, not "well I think it's in, but I'm going to check anyway".

That's why it was a horrible call.

Now, It wasn't on any replay's but I think he made the call from the neutral zone. So he didn't have a great view of it but real time on TV I thought the net was off when the puck went in. Turns out that's the way it was. But maybe that part of it was a call that could be missed.

That brings up a point that bugs me. I've read the NCAA rule book and they have/had a section on what's expected of the officials. They don't expect the AR to follow a break to the goal. I think that's a huge mistake. There's no way a referee is going to be able to make the call from the neutral zone.

Maybe it will get better when they adopt the two referee system.

I'd predict (poorly more than likely) that this would be the official conference of the NC game based upon matchups:

While ECAC teams may have difficultly making the Frozen Four, I don't think that applies to their officials. :glare:

I agree. Even with the sordid past Hanson had (the official for the UND/Michigan game) he did rather well. I assume it was him again and I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

If there was one CCHA ref, good or bad, I'd expect to see at the Frozen Four it would be Matt Shegos. He's been there before, even calling the NC game in 1997 between UND and BU.

Shep and Anderson are indeed inconsistent, but they are more apt towards situational officiating (enforcing an on-ice parity based on subjective, on the fly, criteria no doubt) and make up calls.

I agree that the UND/MN game was officiated quite well (and since my team lost, I have a unique perspective).

As far as the Frozen Four, I just hope it is a CCHA official and not someone from the ECAC. If it's an ECAC official, EVERY call will be made. That's a tough adjustment for a WCHA team to make, given how much hooking/slashing/holding/interference our refs allow. It could be a long night for the Sioux (though, it could be a long night for BC as well).