SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS GOPHERS - LOSER GOES HOME, WINNER TO ST LOUIS

AZSIOUX

Terrific showing by both teams. My heart was just pounding through overtime. You could sense UND had something more, and feared that it would go the other way despite their play. What a power move by Porter!

This win is pretty sweet. Thanks, Fighting Sioux!

taz digs it

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goof fans on GPL are all congratualting themselves for once again being the classiest fans in the WCHA. How they neve make excuses about losing and how they are just so much better then all the other fan sites inteh league. Well good for them. We live to play another day and they are done. Good Riddance Goofers. Go Sioux and SS.com is by far the best fan site in the league and the people I have meet from here are great people.

I have dealt with a lot of bad gopher fans, but I dealt with some great ones tonight. There is no one who should run this one in. It was the best played college hockey game I have seen in years. Gopher fans: great year, losing in OT to go to the FF is nothing to be taken lightly, it could just as easily be me bumming for 6 months. Sioux Fans: let's show class and grace ala Wayne Gretzky, we one a hard fought contest. The last two weekends were college hockey at its best.

I am uploading the final goal and celebration to Youtube right now....It won't be done before I go to work, so I'll post the link from work.

If I don't get a chance to....wait about 45 mins from now and search for it using some of the following words:

Chris Porter Fighting Sioux Hockey Goals Minnesota Gophers 2007 West Regional

Ticket to the Regional Final: $35.00

Parking: $10.00

Dippin' Dots: $4.00

Gas cost home and back: $10.00.

Watching the Sioux beat the Gophers in the biggest game of the year (so far): PRICELESS!!

I was ten rows up from the Gopher goalie. He never had a chance.

bwahaahahahaBWAAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyhoo, it was fun. I sat in a sea of Gopher fans who were actually pretty nice and just rooted for their team without being A holes. Afterwards, several shook my hand and said they would be cheering the Sioux in the Frozen Four.

However, what the H was up with the cameraman/director of the video screen at the final? Constant showing of some stupid sign that said, "Sioux is a girls name" and then, once, a sign that said, "Golden Chokers". This was done AFTER they made the announcement about sportmanship is expected of the fans at an NC$$ event???

Bizarro...

Posted this on USCHO too, thought it worth adding here. A few random thoughts, after the Regional:

* In NCAA play, Hakstol is now 7-2 as a head coach. (3-1, 2-1, & 2-0 so far this year)

* This makes 3 years in a row that Minnesota's season has ended by/at UND (Columbus, in Grand Forks, now Denver)

* Also UND wins the season series from MN 3-1. Just twice in the last 11 has MN won it (some splits in there too).

* Duncan now has 31 goals, with the nation's leader, Ted Cook of Niagara, at 32.

* Face offs, the art of which is little appreciated by us fans, were key to the win. Both Lucia and Hakstol commented on puck possession and that MN had to chase us for 15-20 seconds after most faceoffs. This too is huge, and was probably a factor as the OT went on.

* I think the DOT line looked a bit leg-weary on the weekend. They've logged a LOT of miles this season. I'm glad they get a 10-day break between games.

* OTOH, the Sioux system of playing is so finely synchronized that I always worry how we'll come out after that 10-day break.

* Porter VandeVelde and Watkins looked like they were playing at fast forward throughout the OT, getting better as it went on.

* In the OT, UND pretty much went 3 lines, and it looked like Lucia went 3 too (?) ... maybe that led to the GWG ...

* Also in the OT, no TV timeouts, no rest for either side.

* I wish there was some way to get stats like NHL games - TOI, shifts, etc ... I think Chorney logged over 40 minutes...

Enough for now. Interested in what others saw...

There's a GPL "Legend" (so called by some of his faithful followers) who said when Hak was hired "I think they could have done better". Too bad we settled. :silly:

It's possible that Goligoski and Okposo's problems were the difference in the game tonite. It's hard to say. It was a great game played very well by both teams. Really, an epic battle.

I'm so glad to read so many comments about other people who were emotionally wrung out by this game. I was hating the idea that I was feeling THAT old.

This is almost the exact same way that Lamoureux let in Johnson's goal (first of the game last week, I believe), the difference being that Johnson was shooting from outside the point. Either way, both goalies wish they had closed up their legs.

I think he was trying to play pass and shot.....if VanDeVelde had been better covered Frazee could have comitted more to the shot......

Lammy played well....Frazee played well. Fun game.

Weird end boards though, eh?

How about the leadership in the last two games by Chris Porter?

He kept them in it against Michigan early and scored the game winner against Minnesota. Seriously, you can't write this stuff!

I agree with you HockeyMom. I even think last weekend at the Final 5, even though we did not win it. I think Porter should a lot of heart and even more leadership. Congrats to him.

One question I know Porter has the most games played all-time in the WCHA, what is the NCAA record and can Porter break that?

I think he was trying to play pass and shot.....if VanDeVelde had been better covered Frazee could have comitted more to the shot......

Neither Vandy nor Watkins was covered up at all. Any rebound would have created the same result.

Yeesh. Ugly.

Neither Vandy nor Watkins was covered up at all. Any rebound would have created the same result.

I was just going to say that. If there would have been any kind of rebound, it would have been in the back of the net.

Yeesh. Ugly.

It would have been an ugly, ugly win if the shot off the boards, that bounced off the top of the goal had gone in.