SiouxSports.com Forum

women's basketball 2007-08

UND92,96

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like Whitney Ledger got more playing time as a freshman...is she still feeling the effects of the back injury or what is the story there?

I'm not sure about her injury status, but she has a hard time staying out of foul trouble, and he's shooting just 39% despite the fact that most of her shots are from within about six feet. With the perimeter players struggling to knock down outside shots, you almost have to play Langen and Kimbrough as many minutes as possible because they're the only consistent scoring threats right now.

A little recruiting info (from the St. Cloud Times):

Becker is coming off a 31-1 season and has virtually everyone back. The Bulldogs already have had three players sign for basketball scholarships: twin sisters Brianna and Nichole Mastey (Minnesota) and Shelly Stemper (Minnesota-Duluth). Hegna expects junior point guard Rey Robinson and junior forward Jessie Althoff to eventually earn scholarships as well.

Robinson, who hit the winning shot to beat Minneapolis DeLaSalle 41-39 in the 3A championship game, is being recruited by Drake, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Wisconsin, North Dakota and North Dakota State. Hegna said that Wisconsin-Milwaukee has offered the 6-foot-1 left-hander a scholarship.

Bakken blog:

The lack of buzz about UND basketball is defeaning. The UND women are undefeated and ranked No. 1 in Division II, but anyone who has seen them play knows better. UND women have built their success on four things: 1) good 3-point shooting; 2) fast break points; 3) a strong post player; and 4) aggressive defense. Reasons 3 and 4 still exist, including two exhibits for Reason No. 3, but the first two don't. They've played decent basketball against the better competition, but have mostly looked bored.

Thoughts? There's not much question that the shooting and the margins of victory aren't what we're used to seeing.

Last night the women beat bemidji.

It was my first womens game, and first time at the betty.

I was impressed by the quality of ball, and i think the betty is quite satisfactory. The women had a little touble getting back on defense, but they were unstopable down low.

I thought Karla Beck played well on O, she made passes i didn't expect to see at a womens game.

anyway, i was impressed, I will go again.

Bakken blog:

Thoughts? There's not much question that the shooting and the margins of victory aren't what we're used to seeing.

I can't quite put my finger on it. They seem lethargic at times. Not getting back defensively is inexcusable. Not enough emotion? They really miss Maffin and Jahner, and I don't really see anyone filling their leadership void. Guinn seems unsure of herself and almost tentative. She just needs to cut loose and realize how much ability she has. Karla Beck seems to have taken a step backward Langen and Kimbrough seem solid as usual. Seems strange to be talking about an undefeated team this way but I see red flags that are going to present themselves at the end of the season.

I can't quite put my finger on it. They seem lethargic at times. Not getting back defensively is inexcusable. Not enough emotion? They really miss Maffin and Jahner, and I don't really see anyone filling their leadership void. Guinn seems unsure of herself and almost tentative. She just needs to cut loose and realize how much ability she has. Karla Beck seems to have taken a step backward Langen and Kimbrough seem solid as usual. Seems strange to be talking about an undefeated team this way but I see red flags that are going to present themselves at the end of the season.

On the bright side, the ball boys weren't shooting hoops during every stoppage of play last night! :D

Well, this one may be beyond even OUR control, but it would be nice to have officials who don't feel the need to call a foul EVERY time down the court. Those guys last night were brutal! :glare:

That was nothing as compared to some of the reffing I have seen...The post players are our strength obviously..our weakenesses are with our guards...shooting percentage is hit and miss and their abiltiy to feed to probably the best post players in the nation is weak...it's pretty sad when 2 of the post players were averaging more assists than the starting guard. This team like any other seems to go in streaks...if they are hot on the perimiter..let 'em fly...if not..feed the inside..we have post payers shooting almost 60% and in the top 5 all-time at UND...use it to death...it's there a lot more than they see...Langen and Kimbrough are far too talented to see much bench time unless they are in foul trouble....get "em the ball.

On the Sioux Boosters video someone asked about Baagason and Coach Kelling said she would not be back this year and they hope to have her around for 2 more years after this. "Hope" seems like a strange word to use. Is the injury worse than first thought?

Great game tonight, 84% shooting in the second half. Hope they can keep the shooting touch going.

Great game tonight, 84% shooting in the second half. Hope they can keep the shooting touch going.

As I was watching the game, I knew the Sioux were shooting a very high second-half percentage, but I didn't realize until I saw the box score that they were 21-25! Unbelievable!

As I was watching the game, I knew the Sioux were shooting a very high second-half percentage, but I didn't realize until I saw the box score that they were 21-25! Unbelievable!

I see the 2 posts were 13-15 from the field and 10-11 from the FT line. Imagine if they played 32-35 minutes a night instead of 28 and 24. ;)

I see the 2 posts were 13-15 from the field and 10-11 from the FT line. Imagine if they played 32-35 minutes a night instead of 28 and 24. ;)

I agree, although they were in foul trouble in the first half. On a related note, I couldn't believe the Montana State coach played Mercer in the first half with two fouls and a lead. Of course, she promptly picked up her third.

I see the 2 posts were 13-15 from the field and 10-11 from the FT line. Imagine if they played 32-35 minutes a night instead of 28 and 24. :lol:

Pretty tough to play them more minutes when Kimbrough has asthma, and Langen just isn't in that kind of shape.