SiouxSports.com Forum

women's basketball 2007-08

UND92,96

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When has she ever really been in shape though? I wish her the best and she is a great player, but this issue has always been a problem.

And that why they limit her time. If it works, then all is good. I think everyone would like her to play more but they knew what they were getting, which is a dominant post player.

Totally agree!!!! :sad:

Just a few comments...you guys are going to trash the 2 best players on the team and not critique the guards?? First of all...lets discuss guard play..or lack there of..then..it takes a little more stamina for those post players...not only are they fighting for position constantly on offense and defense (against some hefty 200# girls)... they may do there job and never see the ball! It take a lot of stamina to push the whole 40 minutes. Then they have to run the floor like any other player. You have got to be kidding that you are going to criticize Langen or Kimbrough..ashthma is asthma and Langen is doing fine...lets talk about the little sprite guards that on occasion can't hit the broad side of the barn or a "slow, asthmatic post player"..I want the Sioux to do well, but lets discuss the whole team,,plusses and minuses..I for one am greatful Langen and Kimbrough are on our side...no matter what!

Just a few comments...you guys are going to trash the 2 best players on the team and not critique the guards?? First of all...lets discuss guard play..or lack there of..then..it takes a little more stamina for those post players...not only are they fighting for position constantly on offense and defense (against some hefty 200# girls)... they may do there job and never see the ball! It take a lot of stamina to push the whole 40 minutes. Then they have to run the floor like any other player. You have got to be kidding that you are going to criticize Langen or Kimbrough..ashthma is asthma and Langen is doing fine...lets talk about the little sprite guards that on occasion can't hit the broad side of the barn or a "slow, asthmatic post player"..I want the Sioux to do well, but lets discuss the whole team,,plusses and minuses..I for one am greatful Langen and Kimbrough are on our side...no matter what!

I don't see how anyone can critize Ashley Langen for being out of shape. She is a solid player, that works as hard as anyone I have ever seen play. She is one of the most dedicated players I have ever seen play as well. She may not be a little girl, but she is one hell of a woman, and a tremendous athlete. She gives 110% all the time, and seems to get more criticism than apprectiation. Can you tell me that she is the 4th highest scorer in UND womens basketball history, and she is out of shape? She is one of the top women's athletes the school has ever seen, and she is supposedly out of shape? She is in the best shape of her life, and rather than judging her by how you view her personally, judge her by the facts and the numbers. Ashley is as good as they come, she is an All American player and a person. And for future reference, these girls do read these posts and tend to take it very personally when someone tells them they are out of shape. Think before you talk next time, because your ignorance doesnt speak highly of your intelligence.

I didn't mean it to be criticism of the posts at all. I just believe they need to be on the floor way more than they are. If illness is involved that is something that can't be controlled, but I want them to play more. You are totally right on the guard play and that will be the test come the end of the year. If the guard play doesn't improve, they won't win a national title (IMO). But it also reinforces my point that Langen and Kimbrough need to be on the floor more. Ledger and Sannes with any of those guards leads to 5-7 minute droughts in scoring as a team. To me, average guard play makes the time that the "Big 2" have to be on the floor.

I think that the if your going to criticize Langen, about her game shape, you had best see her at the end of games where at times this year she has put the team on her back, and excelled. That's when we've needed her at times MSU Moorhead, Mont St, just a couple of examples. She and Kimbrough lead the team in minutes played. Also, her minutes suffer sometimes due to foul trouble. And we all know that she gets some "crap calls" called against her sometimes...naturally she is going to have to sit in those situations As far as losing so much scoring when 35 and 55 check out- yes there is going to be some, but compared to when other teams pull 2 of their leading scorers off the floor it's night and day. Also, let's not forget that Ledger is averaging double digits coming off the bench- the last 5 games.

About the guard play, yes it needs to improve, however it has- in recent games as well. Seay has been solid since Hawaii. Nearly averaging double digits since that road trip, Beck has gained confidence, as has Guinn and both have put together nice games recently. The key here is the guards confidence to score. They are getting better! That will open up the interior slightly if this continues to happen and we will see the posts score even more! And they need to continue to make better decisions about how they deliver the basketball to the post players in the paint. There have been some ugly turnovers this year.

The fact is, Langen is a way better basketball player today then when she arrived, especially her court vision and her ability to do other things with the basketball. She definately recognizes double and triple teams better, and has become a better passer to rotate the basketball when those come- than she was even last year.

The fact is, Roebuck likes to use his bench and will continue to do so, he feels it's essential to have that bench available at critical moments down the stretch of the season... so get used to seeing #55 and #35 averaging not more than 30 minutes a game and not less than 20.

It's not about conditioning. There are a lot of factors here.

I don't see how anyone can critize Ashley Langen for being out of shape. She is a solid player, that works as hard as anyone I have ever seen play. She is one of the most dedicated players I have ever seen play as well. She may not be a little girl, but she is one hell of a woman, and a tremendous athlete. She gives 110% all the time, and seems to get more criticism than apprectiation. Can you tell me that she is the 4th highest scorer in UND womens basketball history, and she is out of shape? She is one of the top women's athletes the school has ever seen, and she is supposedly out of shape? She is in the best shape of her life, and rather than judging her by how you view her personally, judge her by the facts and the numbers. Ashley is as good as they come, she is an All American player and a person. And for future reference, these girls do read these posts and tend to take it very personally when someone tells them they are out of shape. Think before you talk next time, because your ignorance doesnt speak highly of your intelligence.

Didn't Ashley work all summer long with the team to make this "the" season? From my understanding, it's difficult to find a more positive person.

Langen led the Fighting Sioux with her fourth double-double in her last five games, contributing 20 points and 10 rebounds Saturday afternoon. She also shot 4-4 from the line and is just eight points shy of moving to third place on UND

I suppose it's difficult to compare teams at this point due to the varying degrees of schedule difficulty, but the NCC and the region as a whole look pretty tough this year. UND and Concordia-St. Paul are the only unbeatens, but Mankato, USD, UNO and Fort Lewis all have just one loss so far.

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose it's difficult to compare teams at this point due to the varying degrees of schedule difficulty, but the NCC and the region as a whole look pretty tough this year. UND and Concordia-St. Paul are the only unbeatens, but Mankato, USD, UNO and Fort Lewis all have just one loss so far.

The Massey Ratings for women's basketball would seem to agree that the North Central Regio is tough. Concordia-SP and USD could give UND a run for hosting the regional.

Top DII Teams

Seattle Pacific 13 0 2.013 (1) 2.01 (1) GNAC

North Dakota 17 0 1.675 (2) 1.28 (46) N Cent

Delta St 11 0 1.639 (3) 1.00 (99) GSC

Concordia SP 16 0 1.609 (4) 1.35 (36) NSIC

CS San Bern. 9 1 1.566 (5) 1.77 (4) CCAA

AK Anchorage 14 2 1.430 (6) 0.96 (104) GNAC

South Dakota 14 1 1.340 (7) 1.35 (35) N Cent

MN Mankato 14 2 1.320 (8) 1.36 (34) N Cent

The overall Massey Ratings, including DI teams, shows UND to be the #70 nationally.

1 Connecticut 15 0 2.846 4.02 ( 4) I

2 Tennessee 14 1 2.659 4.36 ( 1) I

3 Maryland 19 1 2.547 3.77 ( 9) I

4 North Carolina 16 1 2.534 3.50 ( 34) I

25 Seattle Pacific 13 0 2.013 2.01 ( 304) II

70 North Dakota 17 0 1.675 1.28 ( 389) II

87 Concordia SP 16 0 1.609 1.35 ( 373) II

97 S Dakota St 11 5 1.543 2.83 ( 123) I

115 AK Anchorage 14 2 1.430 0.96 ( 471) II

140 South Dakota 14 1 1.340 1.35 ( 372) II

276 N Dakota St 7 8 0.980 2.22 ( 273) I

The Massey Ratings for women's basketball would seem to agree that the North Central Regio is tough. Concordia-SP and USD could give UND a run for hosting the regional.

Concordia-St. Paul's next five games are on the road, including games at Wayne, Moorhead and Bemidji. If they get through that stretch unbeaten, their only realistically losable game prior to the conference tournament is at Winona, who recently took them to OT at CSP.

When will the first regional rankings come out it should be pretty soon shouldn't it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of the NCC may end up having 2 loses this year. Which could spell trouble as far as hosting the regional. I do think Concordia will lose but maybe not twice.

When will the first regional rankings come out it should be pretty soon shouldn't it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of the NCC may end up having 2 loses this year. Which could spell trouble as far as hosting the regional. I do think Concordia will lose but maybe not twice.

Probably this week. Last year's first poll was released January 24.

Certainly a big win for MSU Moorhead which helps us, but this coming weekend is going to be a pivotal one in which we see Mankato again, and can really put them in the rear view mirror with a win over them on Thursday. Watch out! Augie is playing well- they stomped Mankato last night pretty good and their only conference loss was in overtime to USD. Their two posts are among the top in the NCC in rebounding and blocks. Getting to the midway point of the conference schedule at 5-1 one with 2 wins already vs. Mankato and a win over Augie would set up the 2nd half well, but somehow I don't think the games will come easy.

On another note, from the USD game thread on SS, I know there has been alot made about the Sioux making a change to the line-up after the USD game. I know there is a lot of support for Bergan over there, and thats great, Jossy is a tremendous player, and is impossible not to like, but for all you folks that were getting off the Guinn train- how about the 16 1st half points she put up on Sat. 19 total. :angry: She needs to be on the floor... and right now the spot available is at the point. Beck has been playing well lately as well and another solid game.

On another note, from the USD game thread on SS, I know there has been alot made about the Sioux making a change to the line-up after the USD game. I know there is a lot of support for Bergan over there, and thats great, Jossy is a tremendous player, and is impossible not to like, but for all you folks that were getting off the Guinn train- how about the 16 1st half points she put up on Sat. 19 total. :angry: She needs to be on the floor... and right now the spot available is at the point. Beck has been playing well lately as well and another solid game.

Just to play devil's advocate, you could have Jossy at the point, Guinn and Beck at the wings, and bring Seay off the bench. Danye is a good player and maybe is the player best-suited to play the point, but it has to be very tough for somebody used to playing on the wing (and even some 4) to have to become a point guard at this level.

This is why I perceive the line-up is the way it is, now I could be completely wrong about this, because it is conjecture, but I think the reason that Seay starts is usually she is given the toughest defensive assignment by the coaching staff. The staff evidently believes that she has the capability to make things tough on our opponents top perimeter players from driving the basketball to the hoop, something we collectively as a team have had trouble stopping. If you look at the players she has guarded this year- Johnson (Mankato), Jeana Hoffman (USD), Alyssa Green (UNO) - all those players and others are well rounded and like to also get the ball to the hoop- but most of the points that they got against us were from shots from the perimeter...meaning they were cut off from getting to the basket- taking away an important part of their games. That's why Seay starts.

Certainly a big win for MSU Moorhead which helps us, but this coming weekend is going to be a pivotal one in which we see Mankato again, and can really put them in the rear view mirror with a win over them on Thursday. Watch out! Augie is playing well- they stomped Mankato last night pretty good and their only conference loss was in overtime to USD. Their two posts are among the top in the NCC in rebounding and blocks. Getting to the midway point of the conference schedule at 5-1 one with 2 wins already vs. Mankato and a win over Augie would set up the 2nd half well, but somehow I don't think the games will come easy.

I myself never meant to imply getting off the Guinn train..she is an exceptional player and needs to be out there..I just think she would be very effective as a 2 or 3. Bergan has alot of the same skills as Seay and I believe played more of a 1 in her career and played so well in Mankato whereas it was not Seays best game..just questioning mixing it up more, but you are right...it is a nice "problem" to have!

As expected, UND is number 2 in the first regional poll:

North Central Region

1. South Dakota 13-1 10-1

2. North Dakota 14-1 10-1

3. Concordia-St.Paul 17-1 14-1

4. Fort Lewis 17-1 15-0

5. Augustana (South Dakota) 14-4 10-2

6. Minnesota State Mankato 12-3 8-3

7. Wayne State (Nebraska) 13-5 13-5

8. Nebraksa-Kearney 16-5 15-5

9. Nebraska-Omaha 11-5 8-5

10. Metropolitan State 13-6 12-6