SiouxSports.com Forum

women's basketball 2007-08

UND92,96

After seeing the other supposedly best teams in dII in person, there's no question in my mind that UND certainly could contend for a title next year. I don't think it will happen without a few changes, however. For one, Roebuck needs to install a zone for certain situations. At least against teams with limited outside shooting, and for teams that don't have a player who Ashley can realistically be expected to guard away from the basket. In this day and age, there are more and more teams out there without a true post player, so your choices are to live with Langen and Kimbrough trying to guard people one-on-one far from the basket and getting burned, sit one or both down and struggle offensively, or switch up defenses now and again to hide that weakness to the extent possible. UND did start out in a zone briefly against Gulf Coast, but that's not something you can install that late in the year and expect it to be effective.

Secondly, how to run the offense against teams that overplay on the perimeter has to be a bigger point of emphasis. I'm sure it's worked on, but clearly not enough judging by how the Sioux looked against Regis and Gulf Coast, in particular. We need more players who will look to take the ball to the basket. Unfortunately, we typically don't have many of those slasher-type players. That would be the one area of criticism I'd have with Roebuck's recruiting. I believe Ashley Privatsky of Devils Lake would be a good example of that type of player who can get to the basket. I think Seay can be that kind of player if she'd get more confident and aggressive. Guinn also has some one-on-one ability.

Also, I think we need some more consistent 3-point shooting. Bagaason is generally going to shoot a pretty good percentage. Guinn, Beck and Bergan can knock them down, but are a bit more streaky. Hopefully Youngblut can step in and provide another 3-point threat. This year, it kind of seemed like either everybody was hitting, or else nobody was.

There are only so many things that can change in one year with limited personnel changes. It's not like the overall team quickness is going to improve dramatically. But I firmly believe that the talent is more than sufficient to win it all. But after so many disappointing ends to seasons, it's hard to be more than cautiously optimistic.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quickness? How much of this can you get by working at it? With the right training how much can somebody improve? Is part of this just learning to anticipate? Reason I ask is I hope UND can still recruit and play and win with some North Dakota kids. Most ND girls haven't had the correct weight training to get quicker and I think there is a big upside. What makes out of state girls better in some eyes? I think ND kids are generally underrated. I have seen many traveling teams compete against Div I teams and hold their own. That said, which ND girls is UND looking at for next year and the year after? How many scholarships does the women's team have/ will have?

Quickness? How much of this can you get by working at it? With the right training how much can somebody improve? Is part of this just learning to anticipate? Reason I ask is I hope UND can still recruit and play and win with some North Dakota kids. Most ND girls haven't had the correct weight training to get quicker and I think there is a big upside. What makes out of state girls better in some eyes? I think ND kids are generally underrated. I have seen many traveling teams compete against Div I teams and hold their own. That said, which ND girls is UND looking at for next year and the year after? How many scholarships does the women's team have/ will have?

1. Yes, quickness can be improved, especially by participating in acceleration programs and using other training techniques designed to improve quickness;

2. UND can be successful in dI women's basketball without dramatically expanding its recruiting territory, IMO;

3. Jenna Gillett from Dakota Prairie is a senior-to-be who has verbally committed to UND; Ashley Privatsky from Devils Lake is another senior-to-be who almost certainly is being recruited; I don't know of any others, but there certainly could be some;

4. UND currently has 10 scholarships; I believe the dI max is 15.

I think there are other ND girls on UND's radar screen. They are always out looking for 6 footers who can play outside/inside. Does anybody know what type of time commitment differences are there between DI and DII? I heard that in order to play at UND you must commit to be in GF for the summer. Is the time commitment truly year round? I know in football they have spring ball but work weights year round. What is it like at UND for women's basketball? Does anybody know what type of game schedule UND will play in 08-09? Is it on the road most of the time with home games against Mayville and Valley City? Do players like to play for Roebuck? How hard do you think it will be to get players to commit to UND during the DI transition and will that benefit some ND girls?

By the way UND92,96 - I guess it is you and I! Any information would be helpful. Thanks

The time commitment is much the same at the best DII programs like UND as it is to DI programs, yes it is year round. The girls will all be in Grand Forks for most of the summer and working hard to improve their game so that they can be ready for next year. There are DII programs that have a much different commitment and that is why they are not successful like UND. I think you may be surprised by UND's schedule this year and years beyond they will likely be on the road a bit more than during the current NCC time period but it will be against some better programs than you maybe thinking, my guess is it will be similar to South Dakota State's schedule. There will be some great home games that should fill the Betty and maybe beyond. Check out how Wyoming drew during their recent NIT championship run, they finished it with a 15,000 fan sell out for the final, SDSU I think drew 11K for one of their home NIT games, this could very easily be done at UND in the near future.

The girls love playing for Coach Roebuck, he's the old fashion Coach that will chew their a--, then after practice joke around and have a great time with them.

UND still will have more to offer than most other mid-majors, and shouldn't have any problem getting good/great players.

Just another note for Sioux fan 100, hope you heard Pat Summit last night right after winning the Championship she said her players hard work "together" over the summer are what made the difference and made this season what it was. The summer is when players are made, if the kids aren't in Grand Forks it's way too easy to skip a workout, if all are there that won't happen and they will build even more as a team.

I see there having a welcome back celebration for the Sioux Hockey team after there trip to the Nationals. It is at the Ralph tomorrow night. Hopefully when there at the podium tomorrow night they will at least mention that the Women's Basketball team made to the Elite Eight also. They deserve a mention too.

Her strengths are her athletic ability. She is as fast a player as UND will have seen since Darcy or Tanya played here.

Her weakness is her basketball skills. She shot the 3 better last year but she'll have to learn to get it off way faster in DI ball. No one knows about her ballhandling because she is so fast that no one can make her go left. She has a chance to be a good one.

I wonder if this means that Wahlin has told them she is going somewhere else? No reason to recruit them both. It would be hard to have them on the floor at the same time because of how they play and their size.

She is very, very fast. From what I have observed, she does not have much of a left hand, but it's nothing that can't be taught. She will do very well at UND as soon as she finds her role on the team. I think she will be looked at to distribute the ball more than anything because she has such great passing abilities.

As far as whalin, I never expected her to choose UND. I think she would want to go to a bigger school that can play in tournaments. Also, with LaFrance and now Privratsky going there, that is just adding to all of the competition in the guard spot. If UND was not going through their transition period during whalin's college career, then maybe she would choose UND. She is a competitor so I would just think she wants to play in tournaments. However, I may be wrong and she could still choose the sioux!

There are some people who feel Privatsky could definitely go to a tournament-eligible dI program, but really wants to play close to home, similar to what allowed UND to land Kierah Kimbrough a couple of years ago. I have no idea whether Privatsky actually received any other dI offers, but nevertheless I think this is a coup for UND, particularly since the impending period of post season ineligibility presumably makes recruiting more difficult than it has been.

I wouldn't be surprised if Privatsky got some interest from lower DI schools, i.e. NDSU, SDSU, etc. I don't believe there is any way she was being looked at on the same scale as Wahlin.

Anyone else believe the scope of recruiting needs to begin changing here pretty soon if we are going to compete at the DI level? NDSU has found out over the last 2 years that NODAK kids don't get it done with any success. When UND loses these big posts, where will the talent come from?

I wouldn't be surprised if Privatsky got some interest from lower DI schools, i.e. NDSU, SDSU, etc. I don't believe there is any way she was being looked at on the same scale as Wahlin.

Anyone else believe the scope of recruiting needs to begin changing here pretty soon if we are going to compete at the DI level? NDSU has found out over the last 2 years that NODAK kids don't get it done with any success. When UND loses these big posts, where will the talent come from?

If NDSU didn't recruit Privatsky, it was a big mistake on their part. North Dakota isn't going to produce an abundance of dI-caliber players, but there are some. In recent years, there have been the Kielpinski's and Kari Hanson from Mandan and Rebecca Feikert who went to Kansas last year. Both Jossy Bergan and Whitney Ledger had mid-major dI offers. Jahner could have played at the mid-major dI level. Now that scholarships are being bumped up to 15, I think it allows you to take a chance on a few kids who may not seem like dI players now, but who could develop--"projects", if you will. Ultimately, I believe the majority of UND women's basketball players will continue to be from Minnesota, but aside from probably expanding recruiting into Wisconsin and a bit more into Iowa, I don't think we'll see a dramatic change in recruiting area.

For the most part, NDSU hasn't even had NoDak kids, other than Lorenz, the Dahlens, and Girodat. Except for Lorenz, UND has picked over all the ND talent NDSU wanted. SDSU does well with South Dakota and Minnesota (Megan Vogel).

I don't necessarily see a change in scope in the area UND recruits: we just need to win more of the battles against BCS level schools. (i.e. get recruits like Rebecca Feickert of Sheridan County/Kansas and Jessica Kielpinski from Mandan/UNM) in both ND and in MN. That said, Roebuck has already mentioned western Canada as an area where he will be recruiting.

I think UND will be alright when it comes to recruiting. If what was mentioned earlier on the forum about being eligible for the NIT tourament, they will gain a small advantage. I think they will have a good shot at going to the NIT tourney if they are able to pick up some good games against good teams.

I haven't heard what other offers privratsky received, but I know that sophomore through seniors on the team all received some form of a d-1 offer. I am not sure about the freshman this year. On another board, I read lafrance was recruited by NDSU and the University of Wyoming, who were the women's NIT champs this year.

I comepletely agree with the statement that ND doesn't produce an abundance of d-1 talent, but there are those few special players each season. This year, I think it's great the sioux got gillette and lafrance, and next year it's great they got privratsky.

Had a chance to see the two Gilletts play a few weeks ago. The older one looked very athletic. Stayed mostly inside though and didn't take any shots outside the lane. Ran the court well. Has the beginnings of a jump shot that she actually jumps then shoots. She was listed as 5ft 10inches so she looked a little undersized in height and strength playing against some 6 footers. The younger one is bigger and taller. Took some shots from the elbow and looked ok. She ran the court ok - got beat down the court more than a few times though. Looks like she would be staying inside at UND. Didn't seem as athletic as her older cousin. Blocked a few shots.

I have also seen Privatsky play numerous times. Everytime I come away impressed. She got pounded a few times and just got back up and played. Tough kid. She did dribble mainly with the right hand as a prior post said. She was named to at least two all tournament teams last year in traveling ball. This included Kearney which had numerous DI players. UND did good to get her.

Kamille follows in siblings' steps, creates own path

Kamille has colleges throughout the Midwest that have showed some interest in her. She could possibly be the Wahlin to go the furthest away, drawing attention from schools in Iowa and Kansas as well as the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

This summer she will play for North Tartan, an elite AAU team based out of the Twin Cities, which will give her even more exposure to college scouts.

Kamille is as humble as she is talented. Her goal is to play Division I but she isn't eyeing any specific school just yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've hear Whalin made a verbal to Iowa, anyone able to confirm this.

From a pretty good source... NO!

I believe she has not even visited there yet. I was told she has a pretty good head on her shoulders and was going to take her time enjoy the process and make the right decision.

She would look great in a Sioux Uniform!

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any commitments for signing this fall, it seems that we have one but I can't seem to remember who it is. I would think we would be looking for another big with Ashley and Val being seniors, we will need a good big, I don't think any of this comming years freshman are centers are they.

Any idea who we may be pursuing? Other than Whalin.

Are there any commitments for signing this fall, it seems that we have one but I can't seem to remember who it is. I would think we would be looking for another big with Ashley and Val being seniors, we will need a good big, I don't think any of this comming years freshman are centers are they.

Any idea who we may be pursuing? Other than Whalin.

Ashley Privatsky, a guard from Devils Lake, and Jenna Gillett, a post from Dakota Prairie, have verbally committed and will presumably sign this fall.