SiouxSports.com Forum

Jake Brandt

dagies

I have been critical this season of the goaltending. So much so that I felt it was fair to have one thread for Jake after this weekend.

What can you ask of a goalie? Give your team a chance to win. All Jake did this weekend was play 9+ periods of hockey and give up 2 goals each game. What more can you ask for?

I'll be honest. In OT I was dying because I had more confidence in Berkhoel than I did in Jake. I felt like it would take a heck of an opportunity for the Sioux to score, but every shot on Jake had me sucking in my breath.

But I have to offer up this apology to Jake. You got the job done, and you did it very well. You put the team on your back this weekend and gave them a chance to win. And they needed everything you could give them to get it done.

This isn' t the national championship, but similar to Hauser, Jake can ask us "What do you think of me now?". Well, we couldn't have asked for anything better than what you gave this weekend.

Jake is the player of the series IMO. The story of the weekend.

Heck of a job, Jake. Heck of a job.

Very well stated. Brandt played one hell of a series and made many many critical stops. He controlled the rebounds and wasn't out of position very often. Solid solid performance from him the past two games.

For the first time all year, I had confidence that our goalie would stop the shots he needed too. Great series by Jake. I definitely second that motion of him being the series MVP.

Maybe this was exactly the type of series/outcome Jake needed to build his confidence. Sounds like he played a strong, mentally focused series and kept it simple. Anyway, kudos to Jake and the rest of the team for not giving up when they were down.

After Saturday's game, I re-watched the video "Nancy Burggraf: Power & Stride" which featured a very heartfelt interview with Jake Brandt. Jake recalled how the 1999 (I think that's the right year) Roseau Rams dedicated their Minnesota High School Hockey championship run to their ailing powerskating instructor, Nancy Burggraf, who was dying of Lou Gehrig's Disease. Brandt "willed" the shutout he threw in the championship game, telling himself that nothing was going in, and he and all the Roseau boys "won it for Nancy." I got the feeling watching that tape that Brandt did in fact know how to focus and how to win and that he had some spiritual depth that he was going to bring to bear in the final game of the playoff with Denver. And, so he did. Great job, Jake! We're so proud of you and all the Boys Named Sioux. Can't wait 'til Thursday.

That's a great pic. Would you happen to have a bigger version of it that could be used for a background? :D

I'm sure I can work something out. I'll upload it to my Web site and post a link here. I probably won't get to it until tonight, however.

In the post game interview, after Sunday's game, CB told TH that he has found his goalie. He was very high on Jake's effort.

DG

I would be surprised, even without hearing this, if anyone other than Jake would start a game the remainder of the postseason.

Jake put together consecutive strong efforts. From 3 hours away it seems he deserves to run the table, and gives the team the best chance to win.

Anyone else impressed with Jake's interview after Sunday's game? He is probably the most articulate member of the Sioux team. Obviously he is an intelligent and fiery guy.

His comments included a statement that "This is the best time of year to play hockey." He is having fun out there and does not sound intimidated.

Go Sioux. Revenge is sweet - clobber Duluth!

Anyone else impressed with Jake's interview after Sunday's game? He is probably the most articulate member of the Sioux team. Obviously he is an intelligent and fiery guy.

I've had the privilege of visiting with Jake Brandt, Marc Ranfranz and Josh Siembida throughout the course of the season. They are all articulate and personable. You get so you hate to see any of them ever have a bad game because they seem like such fine young men.

I have to say we've all been critical of the goaltending situation, but given how Brandt played last night, I have a hell of a lot more confidence in the guy than I did a few weeks ago.

He had a .913 save precentage in the last two games with a 2.00 GAA, those are pretty damn good numbers in my book. I'd say we found our #1 for this weekend :D

I've also had the oppurtunity to meet Brandt, one of the funniest guys I've ever met.

I've had the privilege of visiting with Jake Brandt, Marc Ranfranz and Josh Siembida throughout the course of the season. They are all articulate and personable. You get so you hate to see any of them ever have a bad game because they seem like such fine young men.

I also thought James Massen sounded quite impressive when I heard TH interview him early in the season when he was a healthy scratch.