SiouxSports.com Forum

Craig Smith National Coach of the Year

the747kid

I just read this on the Forum website. Craig Smith has been named the NAIA NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR. I still think he should have got the job we had open. (not that coach Jones doesn't do a great job - we did beat them THIS yr) I wonder if he is still under quilified? What a joke that was!!

Watched the Title Game on CSTV....Mayville outplayed Mid American in the 1st half...Just did not have the Horses to hold on.

Although it would have been interesting if Mayville could have shot better in 2nd half...Looked like a lid on the basket at there end...

Congrats to Coach Smith.... and Local Product Matt Stenjhem on a GREAT YEAR!

I really don't think we should brag about beating Mayville State. The financial disparity between the two schools is obscene. UND should beat Mayville State by 30 points. I hope Jones turns it around here, but I'm firmly on record as having said that Craig Smith should be the coach at UND. Fast forward two years, when Tim Miles leaves NDSU and they hire Craig Smith. The Bison won't skip a beat and everyone at UND will say "Wow, he's a great coach! We should have him here at UND!". We won't get a second chance.

I really don't think we should brag about beating Mayville State. The financial disparity between the two schools is obscene. UND should beat Mayville State by 30 points. I hope Jones turns it around here, but I'm firmly on record as having said that Craig Smith should be the coach at UND. Fast forward two years, when Tim Miles leaves NDSU and they hire Craig Smith. The Bison won't skip a beat and everyone at UND will say "Wow, he's a great coach! We should have him here at UND!". We won't get a second chance.

Should UND get a second chance??? Why would Craig look at UND after what happened here!!! On the flip side Florida Southern was 8-20 this year....3-13 in their conference. That is our other coaching option?

Saw Smith's interview on TV on Friday @ the State B. He seems like a great guy. Well spoken, polite. Its a shame we can't go see him in action @ the Betty 15 times a yr. Had friend who was at the B, he said he over heard some people (coaches from somewhere - he didnt know where they were from) saying that Dickinson State is offering Smith a lot of money to take over their program... Don't know if there is any truth to it

Saw Smith's interview on TV on Friday @ the State B. He seems like a great guy. Well spoken, polite. Its a shame we can't go see him in action @ the Betty 15 times a yr. Had friend who was at the B, he said he over heard some people (coaches from somewhere - he didnt know where they were from) saying that Dickinson State is offering Smith a lot of money to take over their program... Don't know if there is any truth to it

I can't imagine Smith's next job will be at an NAIA school.

Wouldnt that be funny if Craig got the job at NDSU and did not get a interview!!!

It would be ironic. However, it sounds from the article in the Forum today that one of the assistant (Koering or Phillips) is probably going to get the job. Smith to Colorado State as a Miles assistant seems like a pretty good possibility, however.

Can you believe NDSU hired a guy who was a mere director of mens basketball operations at a Big Ten school as their new head coach, and didn't even interview Craig Smith.

Where have I heard that before ....

Saul Phillips was the assistant who worked with the majority of the schemes that Miles implemented. He put the gameplan in that beat Wisconsin and Marquette, and had a great amount of control in what style the team played.

I think what got him the job was the players were unanimous and went to Gene Taylor and made a push for Phillips.

It's a great hire for NDSU to keep familiarity and the core together. Miles did a great job selling the idea that the program is a family, and it will be carried on with Coach Phillips. Al the players love him, and his hiring was an important factor in keeping the recruit Carlson.

I am sure there will be some growing pains along the way that come with an inexperienced head coach, but the system will be the same and the talent is there.

I don't expect any big upsets like Wisonsin/Marquette anytime soon for obvious reasons, but there's no reason to think that NDSu can remain competitive going into the Mid Con next year.