SiouxSports.com Forum

Duncan For Hobey!

bogeyboge50

Let's not forget that Duncan was still scoring goals in the first half when he didn't have those guys all the time as linemates, or they were playing injured.

Exactly. For the first 28 games of the season, Oshie, Toews and Duncan started together 14 times. And now everyone seems to forget that in the first half of the season, Duncan was the only one who consistently scored. Toews knows how much credit Duncan deserves for the line's success:

"I think back to the first half of the season, it was T.J. and I maybe sometimes getting frustrated when things didn't work out," Toews said. "Dunc was always the one saying,

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's also not forget the quality of goaltending in the WCHA this season and Duncan's ability to consistently score goals on the top goalies in the league. Who on UND's team could do that? Who in the WCHA could do it? What college player in the nation could do it?

Let's also not forget the quality of goaltending in the WCHA this season and Duncan's ability to consistently score goals on the top goalies in the league. Who on UND's team could do that? Who in the WCHA could do it? What college player in the nation could do it?

He made Goepfert and Elliot look bad last year at the F5.

Remember that the award is about more than just performance on the ice. Based on the bios posted regarding the ten finalists I would have to believe that Duncan, Brown and Ehn will be the three finalists.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/news/index.html?article_id=17

yeah that sounds great but in reality, its mostly on ice award.....

I'm sure I'll be scolded for this, but when you ask if there is anything the Sioux can do to promote Duncan's candidacy, I'd say they did a lot by putting him on the same line as two of the best college hockey players in America.

He's been good, he's been solid, but there is GREAT benefit to having the two best players in America on his line.

IMO

I think that this will be the excuse why the best statistical player in the toughest conference won't be awarded the Hobey. I'm not saying that's right but that's my prediction.

Of course the other candidates have good players around them too, but I think Duncan's going to get hosed.

The more than just about who's the best player in the country, it's also about politics. I think Duncan's going to have to be comfortable knowing that his statistics make him a standout not what some committee decided.

I remember hearing Tim Hennesey talking about his experience on the committee. He said it was interesting how the standards changed from year to year. Sometimes it was that the award should go to a senior sometimes it was about who had the best statistics. It's really about politics.

Remember that the award is about more than just performance on the ice. Based on the bios posted regarding the ten finalists I would have to believe that Duncan, Brown and Ehn will be the three finalists.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/news/index.html?article_id=17

I think that Hensick will replace either Ehn or Duncan in the final three.

I would love to see Duncan win the award, but I think it is between Hensick and Brown.

I think that Hensick will replace either Ehn or Duncan in the final three.

I would love to see Duncan win the award, but I think it is between Hensick and Brown.

I agree.

But it won't be Ehn that gets replaced. Every story needs a feel good factor. That's why Lessard was such a lock. good enough to deserve the award AND had a feel good story of overcoming adversity attached. Ehn has that element (from a nothing conference he does something remarkable). Brown will make it. Duncan is a sophomore and, though he deserves to be there, the committee will find any reason to replace Duncan and they have two: 1. Duncan is a sophomore. 2. Hensick is from a big school like Brown.

If that's not enough then Duncan didn't break any records this year and the last conspiracy theory is that the committee would like to give it to a player in another conference because they don't want to be accused of favoring the WCHA too much.

So, I predict Hensick not only to be in the 3 finalists, I expect him to win it.

1. Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off the ice.

The first in the list of criteria, so it must be pretty important to the committee. This kid's got his head screwed on straight, and works as hard or harder than anyone on the team. His character is the greatest of his many assets. Duncan's grade= A+

2. Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

Leading the league in scoring isn't bad. Neither is "near the top" in the nation. Duncan's grade= A

3. Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and sportmanship.

All academic team, and perhaps one of the most humble athletes to wear the Sioux sweater. Duncan's grade= A+

4. Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time students in an accredited NCAA college or university; and complete 50% or more of the season.

Check, check, and check plus, completing much more than 50% of the season. (100% of TWO seasons, btw) Duncan's Grade= A+

Say what you will about Hensick etal, but if Duncan doesn't get this award, he (like Panzer) will be robbed. Based on the above criteria, there is not a more deserving player in the NCAA than Ryan Duncan.

Good for Duncs. My question is how do you make Toews honorable mention?:angry: Look at the points per game...Look at the heroics for Team Canada...JT is best when the pressure in on.

team canada has squat to do with college hockey, nothing nada......his points per game were great but overall they seem to look at total points and JT missed almost 10 games this season so that didnt help

we all know he is the best player in the nation..you dont need a website to tell us that....

"East Coast" Norton thinks the Hobey Hat Trick will be all goaltenders...Curry (BU), Geopfert (SCSU) and Brown (ND)

Me thinks he might be wrong...

Might?

Right now, it's gotta be:

Hensick

Duncan

Brown

Yeah, I know Brown is out but at least he made it past the first round....barely. And of the three, he had the best performance of all three.

Right now I expect:

Hensick--Scoring leader. Did a good job in a losing effort

Ehn -- Feel good story of the year (aka the Lessard Rule)

Brown/Curry -- Goaltender infatuation

Might?

Right now, it's gotta be:

Hensick

Duncan

Brown

Yeah, I know Brown is out but at least he made it past the first round....barely. And of the three, he had the best performance of all three.

Right now I expect:

Hensick--Scoring leader. Did a good job in a losing effort

Ehn -- Feel good story of the year (aka the Lessard Rule)

Brown/Curry -- Goaltender infatuation

Norton is a joke he can't see past his love for Hockey East.

All three of his picks are goaltenders as well.

Norton might be right though about Curry winning it. Who does the East have besides him? The West has Brown, Hensick, Duncan and Ehn. Unless all the WCHA votes for Duncan, he won't win it and they won't as Bobby will get some votes. The CCHA will be split up between Brown and Sir Smug Fugly. It'd be the biggest joke ever for the Hobey, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.