SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets Go Sioux

anthony

And also, whoever said before this weekend that the Wisconsin broadcasters would be worse than Woog and Mozzaco (Goon?) was absolutely right. "Peanut Butter!" ??? I listened to TH, but every now and then turned the mute off the tv to see what they had to say, particularly after penalties.

Only bad thing is that there is a delay between the radio and the television, the radio is like 2 seconds ahead of the television broadcast. TH said UND score and the puck hadn't crossed the line yet. Yesh.

But your right I can't listen to the Rubes from Wisconsin they are brutal...

I'm throwing this out there! I have also blamed goaltending for a variety of losses...whether on this forum or behind skull and skin! However, and not seeing the game and only hearing the third period.......not even knowing that Ranfranz was pulled, I want to share my thoughts! But, as I said, I'm throwing this out there, and base solely on "much" 'visual' hockey, goalies are plagued with too much of the blame!

This has been a year of winning (yeah), losing (sh*#), and squeaking by/ties/heart-breakers. I am not bashing Blais, as he has more coaching knowledge than any of us "know-it-alls" on this forum, but what a decision he's been forced to make in a year like this. Now, for all of you (like me) that think you know it all, follow me on this journey.

The goalies on this team have no idea who the 1st stringer is....and none of them have been given this title. Goehring.....he knew it! Belfour...he knew it! Kvalevog....he was pretty certain! Schweitzer....he knew it!

Now, the goalies this year haven't been allowed to come into their own! Blais has his reasons****I don't even want to speculate**** because I haven't been a coach at that level. So, how are any of these guys supposed to find their strategy? How are they to find confidence? How do they know that they will be there another day? None of us know the answers, and neither do our goalies. Blais does, and I'm sure behind closed doors, the goalies are informed of these things. However, with so many switches during the season, the flow isn't there! Many reasons for this I'm sure, but I think many would agree, hang one of them out there, and let them find a groove. It's up to all of you (and Blais mainly) to decide who that one will be(in your minds for personal satisfaction, and for Blais to decide the rest)......and this late in the season, it may not work for anyone involved! However, this is what I feel is a partial solution. I've heard static from a few(maybe 12-15) season ticket holders, and from those involved in the conversation that enjoy the few games at the Almighty Ralph that they can, that this would be their choice(sticking with one goalie...whoever that may be) for partial solutions to the slump. I'm saying this on a night where they took-it-to Wisconsin, but we can't brush the middle part of the season under the carpet.....and I have to say that confidence in the crease has something to do with it. My two-cents says let the goalie (of choice) take a few bumps, but let him build confidence over time......as a D-1 coach, choice of who this should be would be easy in this case, and let em' buck from there!!! Eventually we'll have a stand-up tender that looks at his jersey after the game and says...Thank God I came to UND!!!

AMEN

The wisco guys may be annoying, but they spent a lot of time talking about the richness of UND's program. They gave credit to UND when the deserved it. The only bad thing about it (although i really dont see it as bad) as they were overly optimistic about things going on. He said it was a pretty even period although UND shot UW 14-2.

I see it two ways. First, "THE FIGHTIN SIOUX" Finally & I repeat Finally have gotten themselves out of their scoring slump. Second, I hope they stay this focus tonight & next week. It was a great game & it's a great day to be alive along with being a "FIGHTIN SIOUX" fan as I have been of almost 30 years now. In closing "GO SIOUX"

I watched the game on TV with the sound muted and Hennessy on the radio. I sort of like knowing what's going to happen a second or two before it actually does. ???

My favorite Hennessy moment last night was in the third period when it was 4-2 and the Sioux were on the power play. Tim was getting frustrated with the way the Sioux were playing and said something like, "The key to the power play is puck movement and there just isn't...he shoots...he scores!"

That was Kevin "I'm Not A Goal Scorer" Spiewak's second goal. Wow.gifyay.gif

At another point, Hennessy said the puck "deflected off a Sioux jersey," which caused me to remark to my wife, "Are they wearing Kevlar jerseys these days?" ???

I posted the following on USCHO (osrry if you had to read it again PCM ??? )

The Soux looked pretty dominant last night. UW is having a down year, but this was a good win for the Sioux for the following reasons:

1. They were able to put up some good numbers against a good goalie (haven't done this during the latest streak).

2. They played a good cycling/foreshecking/passing game on a big sheet of ice, which is typically a tough task for them.

3. UW is down, but that hasn't stopped the Sioux from losing in the previous games.

Interesting to note that Blais' comments RE: Ryan Hale playing D were in fact true. He didn't look bad out there either. Jumped up into play a couple of times. I thought Marvin played well, he also jumped into the play a couple of times.

The Bochenski-Parise-Notermann line dominated play. They looked like they were on a powerplay out there.

I am still amazed at Nick Fuhrer's slapper. Damn, he has a rocket.

How long has Fylling been playing the point on the second powerplay unit?

I think McMahon won every faceoff he took. I really like his play. (end Quote)

I was the one that said the Wisco broadcasters are brutal. I assume it was the FSN team. Their radio (and public broadcasting) team of Brian Posik (sp?) and Bill Brophy (sp?) are pretty good, although I'll never forgive Brophy for saying in 2000, when BC beat Wisco, that it was, for all intents and purposes, the championship game.

I saw a lot of fellow Sioux fans at the game. The group of about 8 sitting right behind Bruckler 1 & 3 sieving was hilarious.

I posted the following on USCHO (osrry if you had to read it again PCM ??? )

How long has Fylling been playing the point on the second powerplay unit?

That's okay. You can read the answer to your question that I posted at USCHO. ???

The first time I noticed Fylling in that role was against Bemidji State. I remember because at the time I thought, "Oh look, Blais has Fylling playing the blue line." Immediately after that, Fylling scored on a shot from the point.

Now, the goalies this year haven't been allowed to come into their own! Blais has his reasons****I don't even want to speculate**** because I haven't been a coach at that level. So, how are any of these guys supposed to find their strategy? How are they to find confidence? How do they know that they will be there another day? None of us know the answers, and neither do our goalies. Blais does, and I'm sure behind closed doors, the goalies are informed of these things. However, with so many switches during the season, the flow isn't there! Many reasons for this I'm sure, but I think many would agree, hang one of them out there, and let them find a groove. It's up to all of you (and Blais mainly) to decide who that one will be(in your minds for personal satisfaction, and for Blais to decide the rest)......and this late in the season, it may not work for anyone involved! However, this is what I feel is a partial solution. I've heard static from a few(maybe 12-15) season ticket holders, and from those involved in the conversation that enjoy the few games at the Almighty Ralph that they can, that this would be their choice(sticking with one goalie...whoever that may be) for partial solutions to the slump. I'm saying this on a night where they took-it-to Wisconsin, but we can't brush the middle part of the season under the carpet.....and I have to say that confidence in the crease has something to do with it. My two-cents says let the goalie (of choice) take a few bumps, but let him build confidence over time......as a D-1 coach, choice of who this should be would be easy in this case, and let em' buck from there!!! Eventually we'll have a stand-up tender that looks at his jersey after the game and says...Thank God I came to UND!!!

I couldn't have said it any better myself Hopper!! ???

Has he been there ever since? I guess I didn't notice (which probably isn't a good thing).

And to anyone who is here in Madison, Wando's isn't a bad place to visit either (Kitty-Corner to the Nitty Gritty, about three blocks north of the Kohl center).

I think Fylling has been on the point for the 2nd power play unit for a while now. I really like both Lundbohm and Fylling on the point. They both see the ice well and are good playmakers. At the beginning of the year I didn't like Lundbohm on the point the first few times he was there, because he was always trying to skate it in himself instead of staying on the blue line and setting up the play. He seemed like a puck hog. Now his game seems to have taken on a more unselfish role, and suddenly the points are coming.

I also noticed last night and last weekend against Duluth that Prpich replaced Massen on the first power play unit.

Some thoughts about last night's game:

Spiewak looked very poised on the PP. On his second goal, he really waited for a nice screen to develop before taking the shot.

Defense, in general, looked extra-solid. Except for some funny bounces, Wisco did not get many scoring opportunities. Perhaps they are finally adjusting to the idea that D. Hale will not be back. We've got some excellent young defensemen - big & strong, but also fast on their skates.

This was the first game in a while I'd seen (rather than just listened-to). UND looked like a very talented & well-coached team last night. Playoff calibur performance. Was it because they were taking on Wisco, or have they finally turned the corner?

Another impression I got out of the game last night was the fact that the Wisconsin fans are fair weather fans. The wisco TV guys described it as a "good crowd" when you could clearly see many empty seats in the lower bowl. The final attendance number was about 11000 which looked a little generous due to season ticket holders that didnt show up.

I know that they are having an off year, but I really dont think the Ralph would empty out like that. I know that the Ralph was the big attraction last year, but even at the end of the season which I think that everybody would consider an "off" year the place was still packed at the end of the year.

Go Sioux... Lets get more of the same tonight!!!!!! ???

A great win last night for the boys. I was especially pleased to see the Speedster pop two in. He continues to be Taz Boy's pick for the Hobey.

As for turning the corner. We'll see. There were a few lapses last night that fortunately didn't turn into more goals for UW. Puckluck was also on the side of the Kelly Green. Long overdue.

UND needs to come out hard tonight and set the example for future opponents. They need to build on their confidence and take it into next weekend. A tie or loss at this point would nearly erase the positives they gained last night.

Go Sioux!!

taz digs it baybay

Great game by the Sioux last night confidence wise. The pucks started going in the net for them, and I thought Brandt played well when he came in. I also don't think Marc played a terrible game, first goal was a tough one for him, and as some have posted, it did look to deflect off a Sioux player in front. The second goal, he could have stayed up on, but again, when your D gives it away right in the slot, that is a tough one.

I really liked how the Sioux controlled the play and kept the puck in the zone for long periods of time. We had 3 pretty solid lines doing it most of the game. I really like the Spiewak line, they had a great game. I also like Notermann on the line with Parise and Bochenski, he works really hard out there and makes a lot of plays happen for those two to finish off. I also though Jason had a super night on the PK, I want to say he outchanced the Wisconsin PP on his own. A few lapses last night for the Sioux that shouldn't have happened, but overall they played another solid game and finally got the W.

I may be weird here, but I actually kind of liked the Wisconsin announcers. They are a bit on the odd side, but kind of funny. I also thought it was cool how they talked about the tradition at UND and how programs could use UND as a model program. Yeah, a bit homerish on some things, but not obnoxiously homeristic.

Finally, I think it is really cool how the guys have continued to work hard during this bad stretch of games. It shows the character and pride these guys have. They have not given up and that says a lot about them as individuals and it also says a lot about the coaching staff UND has in place. Great job guys, keep working hard and lets get on a roll win tonight and get Mr. Momentum on our side heading into the playoffs.

I was at the game, and got to watch our tape afterwards, so here's my take on the two goals-against:

First goal: Shorthanded, The puck lands in front of Greene right in front of the net and he quickly slaps at it to try to lift it out of the zone. He only got some of it, UW guy basically on the dot knocks it down and has an open shot. The shot was actually 1' off the ground, centered on the net. Unfortunately, it hits a UND defenseman's shin and skips to the left, over Marc's right arm (he's down in the butterfly).

In describing the second goal, I'll make a body language transcription:

(Greene goes behind the net, to his right, and gets some forecheck pressure, so he scoots it along the boards to Jones, on the left side. Jones tries to stop it with the skate and the puck shoots out to the high slot where a crashing UW player picks it up.)

Ranfranz (peeking over left shoulder): What are you going to do with the puck back there?

Jones (looking down at skates): I think it's down here, under my skates somewhere. Wait, no, I don't have it. Where is it?

Ranfranz: You don't have it? Where is it (looks up ice to see UW puck-carrier coming in) Holy smokes!

Ranfranz managed to get square to the shooter, but barely had his stick down and was not at all able to move forward to cut down the angle. One really doesn't expect your defenseman to center the puck.

We couldn't believe that Dean pulled him then. We talked ourselves into thinking it was a message to the team rather than a critique on the goaltending. After Brandt's scoreless play, he's certainly the starter tonight.

Giddyup!

I was actually surprised that Blais started Ranfranz again on Saturday after pulling him on Friday, but I'm glad he gave Marc a chance to show what he's capable of for the post-season. (Hopper, maybe he took your advice. ??? )Blais said on the pre-game show that he has confidence in Brandt, and wanted to see how Marc would do if given the chance again. Good choice, I'd say. I think we know who our goalie tandem will be for the post-season finally.

I was actually surprised that Blais started Ranfranz again on Saturday after pulling him on Friday, but I'm glad he gave Marc a chance to show what he's capable of for the post-season. (Hopper, maybe he took your advice. ??? )Blais said on the pre-game show that he has confidence in Brandt, and wanted to see how Marc would do if given the chance again. Good choice, I'd say. I think we know who our goalie tandem will be for the post-season finally.

Coming back for a sqirt game with Hopper I said that Blaiser must have read the Siouxsports.com because we were both kind of shocked to know Marc was playing after (Dr. Hook/Mike Keenan) Blais pulled him the night before.

I commend Blais for giving Marc a second chance. I think it will do wonders for a goalies confidence.