SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella Leaving UND

The Sicatoka

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the speculation as to a successor begin ....

Speaking objectively, I'd realistically look for a VP from one of the successful schools of the Big Sky, Mid-Con, or Missouri Valley conferences. Considering UND's mission, a VP from the University of Montana would seem to be a good bet if Montana has one that's ready for a presidential gig. CK is leaving you at a pretty bad time and a leader from one of those conferences would give you the quick start toward personal relationships with the presidents of the schools you'll need in your corner in a few years. I would really hesitate to promote from within or hire someone with UND connections unless they had experience at a mid-major school. Just my $0.02.

Speaking as a Bison fan, I'm torn. With CK gone, relations with NDSU can now improve and the rivalry is sure to resume(I think this is a good thing). On the other hand, CK was one of the better things to ever happen to NDSU. Oh well, life goes on. ???

THE NEXT UND PRESIDENT HAS TO HAVE TIES TO THE STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA. NO MORE "BIG SHOTS" FROM CAMPUSES THAT NO NOTHING OF THE TRADITION AND EXCELLENCE THAT IS NORTH DAKOTA. I DON'T CARE WHO IT IS, JUST MAKE SURE HE/SHE IS FROM NORTH DAKOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walrus was right; someone like Tom Clifford has to lead this institution.

Oh what a difference a year or two makes. In the spring of 05 many sioux fans were hoping a praying that Kupchella was going to take the job at Marshall. Now there is a staunch defence for him?? What happened? ???

Was the 180 on the name the difference to most?

Here's the link to the May 2005 discussion. http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...nalist&st=0

Speaking objectively, I'd realistically look for a VP from one of the successful schools of the Big Sky, Mid-Con, or Missouri Valley conferences. Considering UND's mission, a VP from the University of Montana would seem to be a good bet if Montana has one that's ready for a presidential gig. CK is leaving you at a pretty bad time and a leader from one of those conferences would give you the quick start toward personal relationships with the presidents of the schools you'll need in your corner in a few years. I would really hesitate to promote from within or hire someone with UND connections unless they had experience at a mid-major school. Just my $0.02.

Speaking as a Bison fan, I'm torn. With CK gone, relations with NDSU can now improve and the rivalry is sure to resume(I think this is a good thing). On the other hand, CK was one of the better things to ever happen to NDSU. Oh well, life goes on. ???

Your already extremely limited credibility continues to decline.

Not to take anything away from the position of President of the University.... but what does this mean for the logo? What if the next president doesn't support the logo, or doesn't care what the majority of the students/staff/faculty/population thinks? On the other hand, what if we get a President that completely supports the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and continues to fight the NCAA...

Oh what a difference a year or two makes. In the spring of 05 many sioux fans were hoping a praying that Kupchella was going to take the job at Marshall. Now there is a staunch defence for him?? What happened? ???

Here's the link to the May 2005 discussion. http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...nalist&st=0

I don't see anyone defending him here. Am I missing something? We're all citing thoughts and ideas about who the NEW president should be. He won't be missed by most, I guarantee that.

Not to take anything away from the position of President of the University.... but what does this mean for the logo? What if the next president doesn't support the logo, or doesn't care what the majority of the students/staff/faculty/population thinks? On the other hand, what if we get a President that completely supports the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and continues to fight the NCAA...

I would think that issue would be safe regardless of the new president for a few reasons: 1) We won't even have "the new guy" until a year from now when a lot will probably have happened toward a conclusion in this, 2) the lawsuit has already been filed and they are working toward settling the issue through that, 3) and most importantly, the UND pres. has to answer to the NDBH on this one and I see no reason to believe that their stance on the issue would change - meaning the new guy would have little say (if any) in the matter.

As far as the new guy, I agree with whoever said it should be someone from ND. I think someone who knows the area, the demographics, the cultural and political climate, etc. would be valuable, as well as someone who has good relations with the ND legislature. I don't think many people realize how key it is to have someone working at that level for UND who can get things done during the legislative session. Who that would be, I don't know...there have to be some local/area people who would be well-qualified and represent UND well. Maybe even a "home-grown" candidate would be refreshing...

Hiring a president based on whether a particular candidate is for or against the nickname would be a huge mistake.

As far as the new guy, I agree with whoever said it should be someone from ND. I think someone who knows the area, the demographics, the cultural and political climate, etc. would be valuable, as well as someone who has good relations with the ND legislature. I don't think many people realize how key it is to have someone working at that level for UND who can get things done during the legislative session. Who that would be, I don't know...there have to be some local/area people who would be well-qualified and represent UND well. Maybe even a "home-grown" candidate would be refreshing...

Perhaps a former governor, who is now on the UND Foundation board, would consider?

I'll do it.

My plan is as follows:

1. A bar on campus, probably in the CF Library or Multicultural Centre, or both;

2. Ending of tenure;

3. No classes past noon on Friday;

4. Free beer at the President's abode on Saturday; and

5. Free Stream Yellow billboards on I-29 and I-94.

Mo' later.

I'll do it.

My plan is as follows:

1. A bar on campus, probably in the CF Library or Multicultural Centre, or both;

2. Ending of tenure;

3. No classes past noon on Friday;

4. Free beer at the President's abode on Saturday; and

5. Free Stream Yellow billboards on I-29 and I-94.

Mo' later.

About 1, CEK beat you: North and South Club Rooms at REA. ;)

And about 3, why worry? No one goes anyway. :lol:

Oh what a difference a year or two makes. In the spring of 05 many sioux fans were hoping a praying that Kupchella was going to take the job at Marshall. Now there is a staunch defence for him?? What happened? :lol:

My opinion is the same as it was then:

Kupchella has been a great administrator for the University; under his tenure great things have happened in academics, research, funding, and enrollment.

He hasn't particularly been buddies with the students and doesn't seem to be a huge sports fan, which is the base for a lot of fans' perception of him, though sports haven't exactly slouched under his tenure: 7 national championship games (vs. 0 in my four years under Clifford / Baker), REA / Alerus / Betty, and a willingness to work with all the interested parties to come up with a plan acceptable to all to begin the transition to D-I.

In Kupchella, we're losing a known great administrator. The new guy will have different strengths and weaknesses and different area of emphasis. That's a little exciting, but certainly also a little scary.