SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella Leaving UND

The Sicatoka

You know, I wasn't really a huge CK supporter. I thought he's done some good things (the name issue) and some bad things but it is true, we could have done much worse.

I'll be intrigued to see what happens.

I don't expect the pro name changers will sit idle and wait.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was star2city who posted this in another thread:

Kupchella's record: Excitement and growth

No Barnes and Noble Bookstore. No University Village. No Student Wellness Center, Ina Mae Rude Entrepreneur Center, American Indian Center, National Center for Hydrogen Technology or Northern Plains Center for Behavioral Research.

And of course, no $100 million Ralph Engelstad Arena.

That was UND in 1999 when President Charles Kupchella arrived.

The changes at UND in those 8 short years are astounding......I still can't believe some of the things that are on campus as I drive through it. :ohmy:

• 3 months later...

Search begins for the next Kupchella

When Charles Kupchella announced his plans to step down as the President of UND last January, students responded with mixed reactions. Some were sad to see him go while others felt it was an opportunity for change.

With years of steady growth and immense economic impacts on the surrounding community, not to mention the highly publicized legal battle over the Sioux nickname, President Kupchella will certainly leave some big shoes to fill when he retires in January.

Kupchella has definitely left his mark at UND and mostly in a positive way.

I believe that starting this semester instructors are allowed to grade on attendance.

I think it's a great policy, I don't want to go to the hospital/clinic and find out my nurse skipped the day they covered something important that happens to be the thing they are going to perform on me... LOL... I never understood that one anyways. Can learn if your not in school

I would prefer an out of state candidate. Someone without close ties to any governing parties, big moneyed alumnis, etc. I realize that strong political ties are important when requesting legislative favors but it would be refreshing to have someone come in with only the Universities best interests at heart. I am really sick of the 'good ol' boys' network in everything from getting a new hospital in town to who gets the next liquor license.

I know.... NAIVE!!!!

Search committee for new UND president to be chosen soon

Paulsen and Eddie Dunn, the chancellor of North Dakota's university system, have gotten almost 100 suggestions for search committee members.

Paulsen said he and Dunn will compile a list of prospective members for the board to discuss at a telephone conference call meeting in a few weeks. It has yet to be scheduled.

Edit:

GF Herald version of story

"I know there's some angst, particularly in the Grand Forks community, about the fact that we have not officially started the search yet," Paulsen said. He believed the task should be delayed until "we really had time to concentrate on it, as we now do."

There is something about Paulsen that I don't trust.

I was beginning to wonder why the search hadn't started, but holding off until the legislative session was over was probably a good idea. Not only does it allow them to concentrate on the two positions(UND & DSU), it should also keep things from getting too political. While there's no guarantee it would've gone bad had the search started during the session, the worst case scenario could've been pretty ugly. Seven months is a bit tight to hire a president but, as long as the process is smoothly run, it should be doable.