SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs SEAWOLVES

AZSIOUX

I am already counting on the Sioux not being in the final five or the NCAA tourney.

They have to basically win 9 or 10 games and only lose maybe a few more games and still have games with SCSU, Denver and Minnesota (thats potentially 6 losses right there if they keep playing like this) Not good prospects if they can't even beat a middle of the road team in UAA. The Beavers are going to run them out of the building if they don't get their act together.

I agree completely. Frankly, I am tired of being told that I am not being a good fan or I'm too negative if I disagree or criticize the players or coaches. For those of you that constantly do, get your rose-colored glasses off and start seeing things for what they are.

1. The Sioux got swept in the same year for the FIRST TIME EVER by perennially weak sisters Michigan Tech and AAU. This would have been unforgiveable in the old rink, but now that we supposedly have a major recruiting advantage over these schools because of the Taj Mahal, what is the excuse?? No one would doubt that AAU and MTU get the leftovers after UM, UND, UW, DU and CC. They know that as well. That is also why they have had very little success against the rest of the league. Don't believe me? Look it up----

2. AAU was swept @ MTU, split at MSUM, was swept at home by DU, was swept on the road by SCSU, split with a depleted UW squad at home, split @ MSUM, and split on the road with CC. They have exactly 2 sweeps this year--Alaska Fairbanks and UND.

3. MTU swept AAU at home, was swept at CC, lost and tied @ DU, was swept by UM, was swept by UM, and was swept at UMD. Basically, they swept AAU at home and swept UND on the road.

4. I'm so tired of hearing how we lost all these great players. Guess what? So did everyone else. UM lost its top 4 scorers in Potulny, Kessel, Irmen and Harrington. Denver lost 3 of its top 4 scorers with Matt Carle (the best player in the country last year), Gabe Gauthier, and Paul Stastny. UW lost its top 5 scorers with Pavelski, Earl, Burish, Gilbert and MacMurchy. CC lost Joey Grubb and its 2 Hobey candidates, Marty Sertich and Brett Sterling. Other than SCSU, UND arguably had the most returning. Yes, UND lost Stafford, Zajac, Spirko and Smaby, but they returned their 3, 4 and 5 scorers in Oshie, Toews and Duncan.

5. We have almost no contribution from our freshmen class. UM has Barriball (26 points), Okposo (24), E. Johnson (15), Flynn (9), Carman (9), Lucia (8), O'Brien (6) and Schack (6). Denver has Brock Trotter (26), Rakhshani (24), Ruegsegger (22)and Gifford (10). CC has Connelly (14) and Sweatt (12). SCSU's leading scorers are freshmen. What does UND have? Other than Chay Genoway's respectable 13 points, we have Zajac with 4, Forney with 2 and Vande Velde with 1. That is pathetic.

6. If Toews (who cannot score because he gets keyed on and has no help) leaves as expected, and TJ leaves as well, what do we have left?? The sophomore class other than Toews, Oshie, Duncan and Chorney has been a major disappointment, and this freshman class looks weak. We better have a great incoming freshmen class next year, or the Sioux are going to find themselves in the lower half of the league.

7. Let's take the kids gloves off and quit blowing smoke up everyone's collective asses, shall we? It is unacceptable for the Sioux not to be in the top 1/2 of the WCHA every year, making the NCAA tournament and competing for a national championship. We have the facilities, the tradition and success, and what every recruit wants--a proven track record of winning and of players making it to the next level.

8. So tell me, what excuse is there EVER for losing to AAU and MTU in the same year and getting swept at home by MTU??? The answer is none. We still have more talent than AAU and MTU combined. They would kill to have Jonathan Toews, let alone TJ Oshie, Ryan Duncan and Taylor Chorney. Name a player on either team (with the possible exception of Justin Bourne) who would even skate on the first line?? The answer is none.

9. What is the problem? Well, as politically incorrect and blasphemous as it is to say this, the bucks stops the chief or head coach. They underachieved last year for most of the year with the most talented team in the country, and this year is pathetic. I'm not saying that he needs to be fired, but that situation needs to be closely monitored. There is no way on earth that Duke in BB, Ohio State or USC in football or Michigan or Minnesota in hockey would put up with this garbage. It's bad enough getting swept by UW and Maine at home, but MTU is a new low.

I'm sure that I will get ripped for this rant. Bring it on. I'm tired of the Barney "group hugs" and the excuses. I don't pay thousands for season tickets to watch this garbage. I would rather watch the FM Jets, Moorhead or South HS, or any youth hockey than to watch a team that I have had season tickets for over 20 years put this product on the ice. It is unacceptable to me. I can't believe that more people don't feel this way.

Dave Hakstol is a great guy. I like him and wish him success. However, when you take a high profile job, it is "just win baby!" If not, you look elsewhere. If he does not turn this around and fast, he won't have to worry. Once the butts in the seats start disappearing, even his father-in-law won't be able to save him. I'm pulling for him and I'm still cautiously optimistic. However, time is running out.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. Frankly, I am tired of being told that I am not being a good fan or I'm too negative if I disagree or criticize the players or coaches. For those of you that constantly do, get your rose-colored glasses off and start seeing things for what they are.

1. The Sioux got swept in the same year for the FIRST TIME EVER by perennially weak sisters Michigan Tech and AAU. This would have been unforgiveable in the old rink, but now that we supposedly have a major recruiting advantage over these schools because of the Taj Mahal, what is the excuse?? No one would doubt that AAU and MTU get the leftovers after UM, UND, UW, DU and CC. They know that as well. That is also why they have had very little success against the rest of the league. Don't believe me? Look it up----

2. AAU was swept @ MTU, split at MSUM, was swept at home by DU, was swept on the road by SCSU, split with a depleted UW squad at home, split @ MSUM, and split on the road with CC. They have exactly 2 sweeps this year--Alaska Fairbanks and UND.

3. MTU swept AAU at home, was swept at CC, lost and tied @ DU, was swept by UM, was swept by UM, and was swept at UMD. Basically, they swept AAU at home and swept UND on the road.

4. I'm so tired of hearing how we lost all these great players. Guess what? So did everyone else. UM lost its top 4 scorers in Potulny, Kessel, Irmen and Harrington. Denver lost 3 of its top 4 scorers with Matt Carle (the best player in the country last year), Gabe Gauthier, and Paul Stastny. UW lost its top 5 scorers with Pavelski, Earl, Burish, Gilbert and MacMurchy. CC lost Joey Grubb and its 2 Hobey candidates, Marty Sertich and Brett Sterling. Other than SCSU, UND arguably had the most returning. Yes, UND lost Stafford, Zajac, Spirko and Smaby, but they returned their 3, 4 and 5 scorers in Oshie, Toews and Duncan.

5. We have almost no contribution from our freshmen class. UM has Barriball (26 points), Okposo (24), E. Johnson (15), Flynn (9), Carman (9), Lucia (8), O'Brien (6) and Schack (6). Denver has Brock Trotter (26), Rakhshani (24), Ruegsegger (22)and Gifford (10). CC has Connelly (14) and Sweatt (12). SCSU's leading scorers are freshmen. What does UND have? Other than Chay Genoway's respectable 13 points, we have Zajac with 4, Forney with 2 and Vande Velde with 1. That is pathetic.

6. If Toews (who cannot score because he gets keyed on and has no help) leaves as expected, and TJ leaves as well, what do we have left?? The sophomore class other than Toews, Oshie, Duncan and Chorney has been a major disappointment, and this freshman class looks weak. We better have a great incoming freshmen class next year, or the Sioux are going to find themselves in the lower half of the league.

7. Let's take the kids gloves off and quit blowing smoke up everyone's collective asses, shall we? It is unacceptable for the Sioux not to be in the top 1/2 of the WCHA every year, making the NCAA tournament and competing for a national championship. We have the facilities, the tradition and success, and what every recruit wants--a proven track record of winning and of players making it to the next level.

8. So tell me, what excuse is there EVER for losing to AAU and MTU in the same year and getting swept at home by MTU??? The answer is none. We still have more talent than AAU and MTU combined. They would kill to have Jonathan Toews, let alone TJ Oshie, Ryan Duncan and Taylor Chorney. Name a player on either team (with the possible exception of Justin Bourne) who would even skate on the first line?? The answer is none.

9. What is the problem? Well, as politically incorrect and blasphemous as it is to say this, the bucks stops the chief or head coach. They underachieved last year for most of the year with the most talented team in the country, and this year is pathetic. I'm not saying that he needs to be fired, but that situation needs to be closely monitored. There is no way on earth that Duke in BB, Ohio State or USC in football or Michigan or Minnesota in hockey would put up with this garbage. It's bad enough getting swept by UW and Maine at home, but MTU is a new low.

I'm sure that I will get ripped for this rant. Bring it on. I'm tired of the Barney "group hugs" and the excuses. I don't pay thousands for season tickets to watch this garbage. I would rather watch the FM Jets, Moorhead or South HS, or any youth hockey than to watch a team that I have had season tickets for over 20 years put this product on the ice. It is unacceptable to me. I can't believe that more people don't feel this way.

Dave Hakstol is a great guy. I like him and wish him success. However, when you take a high profile job, it is "just win baby!" If not, you look elsewhere. If he does not turn this around and fast, he won't have to worry. Once the butts in the seats start disappearing, even his father-in-law won't be able to save him. I'm pulling for him and I'm still cautiously optimistic. However, time is running out.

I agree with every point. In addition, my major frustrations with this program right now includes the fact that other than Duncan, no one is progressing or getting better - think I'm wrong - name one person who is making even the expected progress from last year let alone having a breakout year. When Blais was here, he got major talent even in the old Ralph mainly because players knew if they came to this program and worked hard, they would leave playing like NHL talent. Why do you think Parise came here. Now, almost everyone is playing worse than last year. In addition, our style of play drives me nuts. We have gone from a program that had the most feared defensemen in the country to one in which even Alaska Anchorage and MTU players camp out in front of our net without fear with lightning speed. I'm tired of thinking "maybe this week we will put it together" week after week only to be disappointed. I feel that I am as big a Sioux fan as anyone, but having the Gophers reload and us flounder drives me nuts.

I agree completely with everything you said!!

Geez Goon. C'mon. There is alot of hockey to be played. Good thing that you are not

lacing 'em up every night.

As for the comments of others regarding the atmosphere in the Ralph, why is it that

the team always has to carry the fans? We cheer when they are doing well, but

whine to high heaven when they are not. Luap. You start any cheers last night,

or were you in the jeering section? The players play the game. The fans make the atmosphere.

To blame players for the fans' lethargy is ridiculously unfair. They oughta have their own

board to complain about what worthless and selfish louts their fan base can sometimes be.

Alaska, like every team in this league, is no slouch. Tough from top to bottom.

Like everywhere, it is a different world these days in the world of WCHA hockey.

The Sioux will be fine. It is getting late. With all the knashing of teeth that some folks

do, I sure wish that I was a dentist for the fans on this forum.

As for Lammy, he is playing great. He had every reason to rub his stick at the high criers

from UAA, who stood at center ice jawing long after the game was over. Anyone

who thinks that that was somehow a classless move, or should be grounds for discipline,

needs to get a sense of humor.

Hak absolutely stormed down the tunnel immediately after the final horn. I expect a

win tonight, and I expect a couple of game misconducts for fighting as well.

Be there. Or be square.

Well i would start some cheers but we dont have any :angry: Actually I would stand the whole game if I could, but whenever I do(even with 1 min left in OVERTIME!) someons like sit down. Im always cheering, being loud, or whatever it takes to keep me sane from the other people who sit next who hardly ever make a peep. I think they shouldve done more at the end of the game personally. What do they have to lose?! I wish lammy would have beaten someone with his stick! :lol: jk. Im expecting the sioux to come out on fire myself. And also a lot of physical play(possibly a couple fights). We need a good 6 goal night or better thats for sure. Ill be there and far from square :lol:

Before you turn in your season tickets, PLEASE, PM me. I have some friends who would love to buy them!

I didn't say I was turning in my season tickets. I have loyally followed the Sioux for all of my life. I went in the early 90's when you could throw a rock in any direction and not worry about hitting anyone. It was that bad. They were lucky to get 1500-2000 fans per game. They finally dumped Gino (which was not very popular) and re-energized the program with Dean Blais, but they waited too long.

The fact that I have been there, and don't want it to happen again, gives me more than the right to complain. Do not confuse my frustration and anger with apathy. However, I also know from experience that many fans will turn in their tickets and stop going. Don't worry---there will be plenty of tickets available if this garbage continues. If you want tickets for any home game this year, email me. We didn't use 3 of our 6 tickets last night. Like most families, we have conflicts with our own kids playing hockey, but the interest level in buying the tickets is already starting to wane, particularly for crap teams like AAU and MTU that we can't even beat at home.

If you want tickets for any home game this year, email me. We didn't use 3 of our 6 tickets last night. Like most families, we have conflicts with our own kids playing hockey, but the interest level in buying the tickets is already starting to wane, particularly for crap teams like AAU and MTU that we can't even beat at home.

I too have been a fan since the '70s, bad or good, I go to the games (this is the first year I'm out of state). It's painful at times, agreed, but I don't leave the arena until the last Sioux player goes down the tunnel!

My younger son is making good use of two of my tickets (I'm way out of state and not using mine much this season). My older son (Mpls) decided he could only use two of my other tickets on Saturday (school) so the Friday tickets are used by someone else. He has come into town wanting to go to the Friday game on occasion. I will keep you in mind!

I have faith in this team. I have watched them play and have even posted that they suck! But I remain ever the annoying optimist.

Well i would start some cheers but we dont have any :lol: Actually I would stand the whole game if I could, but whenever I do(even with 1 min left in OVERTIME!) someons like sit down. Im always cheering, being loud, or whatever it takes to keep me sane from the other people who sit next who hardly ever make a peep. I think they shouldve done more at the end of the game personally.

Get this. My friend and I were told to sit down IN BETWEEN PERIODS last night by some bitty sitting behind us. I guess she needed to watch the commercials! :angry:

I didn't say I was turning in my season tickets. I have loyally followed the Sioux for all of my life. I went in the early 90's when you could throw a rock in any direction and not worry about hitting anyone. It was that bad. They were lucky to get 1500-2000 fans per game. They finally dumped Gino (which was not very popular) and re-energized the program with Dean Blais, but they waited too long.

The fact that I have been there, and don't want it to happen again, gives me more than the right to complain. Do not confuse my frustration and anger with apathy. However, I also know from experience that many fans will turn in their tickets and stop going. Don't worry---there will be plenty of tickets available if this garbage continues. If you want tickets for any home game this year, email me. We didn't use 3 of our 6 tickets last night. Like most families, we have conflicts with our own kids playing hockey, but the interest level in buying the tickets is already starting to wane, particularly for crap teams like AAU and MTU that we can't even beat at home.

Nobody wants to go back there.

So, let me ask you this: How do we make Hakstol pay for Oshie's misses last night? They could have put the game away. How do we make Hakstol responsible for getting the puck into the net?

I mean, he wrote the plays and last night the plays worked except nobody finished. Uh, so that's Hakstol's fault?

Let's put this in an NHL context. Recently Dallas' Patrick Stefan (a high first round pick at one point) missed an empty net goal. Should Dave Tippett be held responsible for Patrick's miss?

In 2003, in the NHL something historic happened then (along the lines of UAA and MTU but in an NHL context). Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup. Why is that historic? Because, by the UAA/MTU logic, Tampa Bay shouldn't win more than 10% of their games. They have always been a doormat.

Same with the Hurricanes. OH! Let's revisit some other teams. Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Montreal, and the Blackhawks have garnered much past Cup victories. They haven't really competed since (except Edmonton). I think their head coaches should be fired until they get a head coach that can make them all win the Stanley Cup or finish in the top end of their league every single year.

In 1995, New Jersey won the Stanley Cup with Martin Brodeur and arguably the least amount of talent otherwise compared to other playoff teams and even other Stanley Cup victors. Again, this shouldn't have happened.

Anyways, it's not bad to be disappointed with the Sioux's performance, but I can definitely see why UAA and MTU are dangerous this year. Everyone thinks just like some of us do: UAA/MTU are patsies. So the players take the games for granted. Wow. Has it worked for UND yet? It should have by the reasoning provided here.

Anyways, yeah. This year thus far has been a disappointment. Players haven't been able to finish plays. Who is accountable for that? THE PLAYERS. So, yeah, fire Hakstol.

Get this. My friend and I were told to sit down IN BETWEEN PERIODS last night by some bitty sitting behind us. I guess she needed to watch the commercials! :angry:

That doesn't surprise me one bit coming from this corp. ass arena. Its so nice to go into but too many of the wrong people enter it as well :lol::lol:

Get this. My friend and I were told to sit down IN BETWEEN PERIODS last night by some bitty sitting behind us. I guess she needed to watch the commercials! :lol:

Don't block the Trunk Monkey! :lol:

I have to agree, however. That's pretty pathetic. :angry:

.....many fans will turn in their tickets and stop going.

You know what I say to that? GOOD!! If the only time a fan is a fan, is during the good times, then they should turn in their tickets. Screw 'em!! DakDan can then have a real fan sitting behind him, not some old bitty who is there to 'watch the commercials' or be seen by the other old bitties.

As a 'fan from birth' of the Chicago Bears and Chicago White Sox and then, (after leaving the state, lol) a Chicago Cubs fan too, I know what a 'real fan' is! It's some one who cheers for their team win or lose, goes to all the games they can afford to go to, or they watch the games on the tube, win or lose. It's someone who puts up with the boos, jeers and put down jokes from the others. It's someone who wears their team colors everywhere, including enemy territory, damn the consequences. Yes, and 'real' fans bitch and moan about the players, coaches, refs, fans, opposing teams, opposing fans, etc. But, they don't give up on their team.

If a losing season results in some season ticket holders turning in their tickets, good! I'm tired of listening to them talk about their newest acquisitions between periods, playing kissy face during the game, or using the game as a reason to get s&!t-faced and spilling their beer on me. GOOD RIDDANCE!!

Ok, I'll climb down off the soap box, get the soap and go do laundry as was my original intent.

Love you all, the Ever Annoying Optimist,

Sioux-cia

Maybe Hakstol can't put the puck in for Oshie but he can change the way the team approachs the game.Hakstol seems way to conservative in his offensive scheme.In the three years he has been at the helm they seem to hover around 3.0 gpg since he became head coach. In Hakstols first year Eric Fabian said that the difference between Hakstol and Blais is the forecheck was more structured and not so much wide open. Hakstol has had 2 plus years and his offense hasn't shined yet maybe it's time to try something else. I'am not calling for Hakstols head just changes,show some emotion,some fire from the bence. I believe Hakstol can coach and recruit but don't act the the band on the Titanic and just keep playing the same song as the ship sinks. Done ranting,Go Sioux and kick some Seapup a$$.

Nobody wants to go back there.

So, let me ask you this: How do we make Hakstol pay for Oshie's misses last night? They could have put the game away. How do we make Hakstol responsible for getting the puck into the net?

I mean, he wrote the plays and last night the plays worked except nobody finished. Uh, so that's Hakstol's fault?

Let's put this in an NHL context. Recently Dallas' Patrick Stefan (a high first round pick at one point) missed an empty net goal. Should Dave Tippett be held responsible for Patrick's miss?

In 2003, in the NHL something historic happened then (along the lines of UAA and MTU but in an NHL context). Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup. Why is that historic? Because, by the UAA/MTU logic, Tampa Bay shouldn't win more than 10% of their games. They have always been a doormat.

Same with the Hurricanes. OH! Let's revisit some other teams. Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Montreal, and the Blackhawks have garnered much past Cup victories. They haven't really competed since (except Edmonton). I think their head coaches should be fired until they get a head coach that can make them all win the Stanley Cup or finish in the top end of their league every single year.

In 1995, New Jersey won the Stanley Cup with Martin Brodeur and arguably the least amount of talent otherwise compared to other playoff teams and even other Stanley Cup victors. Again, this shouldn't have happened.

Anyways, it's not bad to be disappointed with the Sioux's performance, but I can definitely see why UAA and MTU are dangerous this year. Everyone thinks just like some of us do: UAA/MTU are patsies. So the players take the games for granted. Wow. Has it worked for UND yet? It should have by the reasoning provided here.

Anyways, yeah. This year thus far has been a disappointment. Players haven't been able to finish plays. Who is accountable for that? THE PLAYERS. So, yeah, fire Hakstol.

If we were talking about any single game your assessment would be correct. However over the course of a season, there is only one person responsible for recruiting the players, developing their talent, implementing an offensive and defensive scheme, and developing team attitude and intensity - the head coach. It is his job to bring in the talent and get the most from it. Ultimate responsibility for the program is his. Please note - I am not calling for Hakstol's firing - However, I believe he is responsible for the team OOps - this was meant as a response for Redwing, not you.

come tonight we better see a azz woopin and get 3 points out of the weekend. im done with evaluating last nights game...we blew it, very simple......lets sack up, play physical AGAIN and maybe throw some bows like ludicris tonight..and i mean BOWS...go siouxxxxxxxxxx

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned what Jerry York did at Boston College.

Last Friday (Jan. 5) the Eagles blew a two-goal first-period lead before losing to Northeastern 3-2 in overtime. The biggest story of the night, however, was not the score, but rather the absence of letters on the chest of Boyle (the captain's "C") and assistant captain Joe Rooney (the assistant's "A").

Veteran coach Jerry York explained the reason

so your saying these boys need to be " Schooled" :angry: & turned into Men ? ? ?

No. I'm saying that I agree with this statement by York:

Those players, York said, needed to be leaders off the ice as well as on it.

On or off the ice, players with leadership responsibilities must lead by example.

Hakstol is going to have a lot of questions to answer in the off season. I not ready to say fire his ass yet but one more like this and he should be gone.

End of discussion. The coach needs to take the blame in this too.

Hakstol is going to have a lot of questions to answer in the off season. I not ready to say fire his ass yet but one more like this and he should be gone.

End of discussion. The coach needs to take the blame in this too.

lets let the season play out and see what happens. the season isnt over. we have 2 1/2 months of wcha hockey left.....hour til puck drops!!