SiouxSports.com Forum

Where Are We?

The Sicatoka

The 2002-2003 (16-19-2, 11-15-2) season just ended.

You went into a coma.

You woke up today. You look only at team statistics and league standings.

The team is 22-9-5 and 12-9-5 in league play.

What are the positives that you see?

[*]The team controls its destiny regarding home ice in league playoffs.

[*]The team has a shot at fourth place (with a sweep and some help).

[*]The team is perfect (10-0-0) in non-conference play.

[*]The team has a 0.680 winning percentage when the normal lineup has just three seniors, three juniors, and all the rest freshmen and sophomores.

[*]Brandon Bochenski is 32-23-55 so his freshman year wasn

If you stop looking there, very positive heading for the post season. If you make the mistake of looking at the last two months, whoops, no way to go into the post season.

Sorry, having trouble being optimistic right now ???

OK, I'll name names and say it.

Lee Marvin has been doing a more than acceptable job skating penalty kill. He's not David Hale, but if this is the role you put him into he's handling it. Five on five he needs to relax. Ice it if that's what it takes.

Chris Leinweber has reverted to how he played last year. He needs to play like he did to start this season. He needs to step up and hit and not allow people around him, namely deep to the outside. You're a senior Chris. Last shot. How do you want to go out?

I name those two defensemen because their minutes jumped in David Hale's absence. That doesn't mean that the rest don't need to shoulder some of the load of the Hale void.

Jake Brandt needs to follow the advice his father gave him before a start a while back: Stay close to your net and simplify your game. Jake still has decent conference numbers. (PS - Jake, let me see Jake Brandt, not some impression of some 'other' goalie. Be yourself, play your game. Simplify.)

I name Jake because, based on numbers to date, I'm not sure who else to turn to. If Marc Ranfranz wants to prove me wrong, have at it Marc. ???

If teams are tackling Parise and Bochenski someone else has to make them pay for it on the scoreboard, and that's besides Lundbohm and Massen and Notermann. The "step up" list here is too long to put up and it contains too many juniors and seniors. (Any is too many.)

Some guys really need to step up. There's still time.

OK guys, rrrreeeeaaadddyyyyyy? Go!

Didn't want to start a new thread on this -- so I'm going to go off an a little tangent

Where Are We? There is an interesting article on USCHO http://www.uscho.com/news/2003/03/03_006320.php on "bracketology"

If the seedings for the regionals were made right now the WCHA would more than likely have 6 teams in CC #1, UMN #4, MSU-M #10, SCSU #11, UND #12, UD #14

bubble teams that are knocked out by Alabama Huntsville and Mercyhurst are Ohio State, Harvard or Michigan State U.

UND as a #3 seed would likely face U New Hampshire out in the East Regional.

The one team with what I think would be an ugly row to hoe would be CC -- at Michigan -- CC #1 seed would face Merchyhurst which is fine but then they'd face the winner of BC vs. Michigan.

At Mpls you'd have UMN vs. Alabama Huntsville and Ferris State vs. MSU-M. If I was a gopher fan I'd probably start to count my chickens, even before they've hatched.

This, of course, is speculation and will change but it is interesting.

I would like the Sioux out east. There is some good history on the Sioux being sent east to play a #1 team, and being successful. Remember RPI (don't remember the year), when the Sioux were sent east, thought at the time the committee hoped to get rid of them in a series by sending them east to play the team that had been rated #1 in the country all year long. Whoops, #1 was gone from the tourney.

All regions will be tough, but I'd like to see them get to play Cornell. They will have to get by a very good team to do so, however, if the brackets remain as predicted. Cornell may not get by their first game either. This weekend could change everything, of course.

The one team with what I think would be an ugly row to hoe would be CC -- at Michigan -- CC #1 seed would face Merchyhurst which is fine but then they'd face the winner of BC vs. Michigan.

At Mpls you'd have UMN vs. Alabama Huntsville and Ferris State vs. MSU-M. If I was a gopher fan I'd probably start to count my chickens, even before they've hatched.

This, of course, is speculation and will change but it is interesting.

If this scenario pans out and I was a CC fan I'd be POed. Would not want to be part of that bracket.

As for Minny - yes I would like that bracket if it happened - but we are a looooooooong way from that becoming reality.

I love reading all these comments about what the team needs to do to start winning again because I think they are pretty insightful suggestions from people who I believe know a lot about the game.

But the truth is, we're only fans and fans can take none of these courses of action--that's up to the players and the coaches. Fans really have only two courses open to them when their team is at the end of the regular season and has won only 1 game in the last ten. The first is to continue to support their team, and to expect the best to happen. The second is to badmouth the team and expect the worst.

Some of you are starting to sound like my ex-husband, the epitome of the fair weather Sioux fan. I remember him telling me during the 1996-97 season after every Sioux loss that "this team will never win again" and "ain't going anywhere." Did I mention he's my EX-husband and that the Sioux won the national championship that year? The team needs to sweep at Madison, secure home ice and steamroll into the post-season. I'm going to be there cheering them on as they do it. Ya gotta believe.

YaneA - AMEN!

I was going to post about where the INCH site lists where the Sioux could play in a regional but frankly, they gotta win now to even worry about that.

My focus is on WI this weekend. I'm not going to look any farther forward than the next game. A month ago it was inconceivable to me that this team could not have home ice for the playoffs.

So, I know I don't play the games, but for now I'm only going to take it one game at a time.

(As for CC, the INCH site has them as the #1 in Mpls)

YaneA, I've been looking for a place to put this sentiment, and now your post gives me a chance. Looking back on last weekend, I was thinking that perhaps I shouldn't post right after a tough loss because I don't come off as very optimistic, when I definitely hope for the best.

Some of you are starting to sound like my ex-husband, the epitome of the fair weather Sioux fan. I remember him telling me during the 1996-97 season after every Sioux loss that "this team will never win again" and "ain't going anywhere."

I can certainly see why he's your ex. Open and shut case. ???

I've been thinking of something...

Many (including my self) are blaming a combination of lack of steady goal tending, and a lack David Hale as a part of the Sioux's second half woes. I think I have another explanation:

In UNDs last 3 games (Mankato and the UMD series) UND put the puck on Net 127 times and only were able to complete the deal 8 times. My trust calculator indicates to me that is an utterly pittiful .063 shooting percentage, and that doesnt count the seemingly endless noise of the puck impacting that pesky goal post. This indicates to me that the Sioux have played against the best goalies in history with a .945 save perentage in those games or they simply arent getting the job done. A team that shoots 52 times in a game should find a way to put more than 4 of them in the net. I think what the Sioux need this weekend is to stop thinking about losing and return to having fun like they were in the begining of the season where REA was a house of woe for all opponents.

Just food for thought...... But I cant bear to see the puck hit the post or the middle of the goalies chest anymore.

Lets get a sweep this weekend before the playoff shall we?

Let Go Sioux... and to those of us in Grand Forks... STAY WARM!!!

Well I hate to say this but I am going to become a dirty Gopher/C.C. fan this weekend. If C.C. wins the second game tonight against D.U. Denver is at least 6th place and on the road, if the Dirty Gophers can beat SCCC twice, a tall order. UND will be in Fifth. Ok, The best course of action for UND is to have UMD split and UND win both games and they are in fourth, probably not likely... MTU blows and I am not sure they can beat UMD...

I really hope UND gets a second crack at UMD and MSU, their fans have made SCCC fans look tame...

I feel dirty after saying that...

The only option is beating Bucky twice. Got to be on a new winning streak heading into the playoffs. The tackling Pioneers will then come to town. I see their dmen, especially Caldwell and McKenzie, have spent a fair amount of time in the box for holding and obstruction against the Gophs and CC. Maybe the WCHA referee corps has them targeted by now.

The only option is beating Bucky twice. Got to be on a new winning streak heading into the playoffs. The tackling Pioneers will then come to town. I see their dmen, especially Caldwell and McKenzie, have spent a fair amount of time in the box for holding and obstruction against the Gophs and CC. Maybe the WCHA referee corps has them targeted by now.

Nothing else matter. Just win baby.

Just win.

Man if that isn't the understatement of the year. Unbelievable.

Saw on TV they did much the same against the Gophers, although against the Sioux it was concentrated on Parise. Interesting defensive method, gives a very new meaning to clutch and grab.

They also got away with murder on line changes - especially on Friday night. I wasn't sure if MN was still the home team. Gwoz would have 6-7 guys on the ice (usually a line and two sets of d) and depending upon what Lucia sent out DU would pull one set. But the tackling, holding, clutching,.... was an embaressment to hockey. I remember reading Sioux fans complaining about DU's tactics and thinking it couldn't be that bad. I humbly apologize.

They also got away with murder on line changes - especially on Friday night.  I wasn't sure if MN was still the home team.  Gwoz would have 6-7 guys on the ice (usually a line and two sets of d) and depending upon what Lucia sent out DU would pull one set.

Should have sent the puck over into the mass. I think Caldwell would like a date, the way he hugs everyone (a mandate ???)