SiouxSports.com Forum

Fight after the Sunday night gopher/mavericks game

If only we had Belfour

In that situation you demand to see the rule book and get the explanation after shepard showed you the rules

So Hakstol was supposed to demonstrate during a televised game and in front of all Sioux fans in attendance that he doesn't know the rules?

I've never seen this happen during the course of a hockey game and I expect that I never will. The officials aren't there to debate the rules.

Edited by PCM

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Hakstol was supposed to demonstrate during a televised game and in front of all Sioux fans in attendance that he doesn't know the rules?

I've never seen this happen during the course of a hockey game and I expect that I never will. The officials aren't there to debate the rules.

Sounds like a good idea to me!!

Mankato is routinely a clutch and tackle team, so the penalty disparity seems fine to me.

Let's just say that if they brought in the crews that did the WJC the PPs would have been about 15 PPs for the Gophers and around 8-10 for Mavs. Campion looked disinterested and like he'd rather be getting ready for his day job Monday AM.

Jutting was complaining because in the third they got called for some of the same stuff they had been getting away with all game long.

Anyone else wonder why cross-checking from behind into the boards is two minutes but checking from behind is five and a DQ?

In fairness to Minnesota, year after year, they have some of the best skaters in the nation. Mankato does not.

As a result there are going to be more situations where Mankato needs to do something else to level play. Minnesota has never been a high penalty team in general, physical play is not there calling card. My guess is that 7 penalties to 2 was probably a fair ratio. That said:

Fire Sheppard

Other than the competency of the officials themselves, the biggest problem with the officiating is there is no consistent standard of play, unlike the NHL (which have obviously more competent officials as well).

Until they start calling all the stick/holding penalties and get 2 referees on the ice, WCHA hockey will continue to be frustrating to watch.

Let's just say that if they brought in the crews that did the WJC the PPs would have been about 15 PPs for the Gophers and around 8-10 for Mavs. Campion looked disinterested and like he'd rather be getting ready for his day job Monday AM.

I didn't watch much of the MN/MSUM series, but what I did see looked to be in slow motion after watching the high-octane WJC over the last two weeks. Guys were constantly hanging onto opponents with sticks, both ways. It was kind of sad, really, pondering what could be.

I am not so sure I would call him a goon. :ohmy: Intense might be a better word for it. These guys are under a lot of pressure and from the way I see most of the officials don't call the game the way is should be. I remember TH the other night calling Hunt one of the worst in the league. Just a thought.

I live in Mankato and am familiar with the program, although I am a Sioux fan. Jutting is not a goon. He's actually a really nice guy. He's intense for sure. However, what happened, if it did, was totally inappropriate.

I didn't watch much of the MN/MSUM series, but what I did see looked to be in slow motion after watching the high-octane WJC over the last two weeks. Guys were constantly hanging onto opponents with sticks, both ways. It was kind of sad, really, pondering what could be.

It was slow motion. The guys that returned from the WJC played 4th line minutes and the rest of the forwards looked beat from their effort Friday. I the Gophers are going to be vulnerable for a while now. Hopefully by the Sioux series they will be clicking again. :ohmy:

Going after the refs, after a game is over or a call is made, is only giving the coach, et al, short term, if any, satisfaction. They are only placing themselves at the mercy of the WCHA-game suspensions/penalties. What needs to be in place (it may already be?) is a procedure in which complaints regarding reffing can be formally made. An unbiased (?) review of the game could then be made. If specific referees are consistently screwing up calls or are found to be favoring a team, they should be fired if they are beyond redemption or 're-educated' if that's possible.

Going after the refs, after a game is over or a call is made, is only giving the coach, et al, short term, if any, satisfaction. They are only placing themselves at the mercy of the WCHA-game suspensions/penalties. What needs to be in place (it may already be?) is a procedure in which complaints regarding reffing can be formally made. An unbiased (?) review of the game could then be made. If specific referees are consistently screwing up calls or are found to be favoring a team, they should be fired if they are beyond redemption or 're-educated' if that's possible.

As long as Sheppards daddy is the one reviewing everything, there will never be an unbiased view of the officiating.

As long as Sheppards daddy is the one reviewing everything, there will never be an unbiased view of the officiating.

As a result of the Sioux making it to the Frozen Four the past two years we have had the opportunity to see the officials from other conferences. Generally I have been impressed with them and embarrassed at the WCHA officiating. The WCHA is a first class league, except for the officiating which is third class. I simply fail to understand why WCHA officiating seems to be so deficient.

As a result of the Sioux making it to the Frozen Four the past two years we have had the opportunity to see the officials from other conferences. Generally I have been impressed with them and embarrassed at the WCHA officiating. The WCHA is a first class league, except for the officiating which is third class. I simply fail to understand why WCHA officiating seems to be so deficient.

I have to agree. Several of the WCHA refs, particularly Shepperd look like they've never even played the game. Shepperd looks like he's ready to fall over everytime he steps on the ice.

Unfortunately, you're absolutely correct. Given the number of different college hockey organizations, you'd think that unbiased reviews could be made by refs from a different organization in order to avoid 'nepotism'.

First off, I agree with Jackson, PCM, and some others. Coaches have to be careful. They have to protect and stand up for their team, sure, but if they do so and a penalty is called or they are ejected, what are they doing for the team (regardless of whether or not it endears that actions to the fans or how justifiable the actions were)?

Fire Helmet Guy is right. Campion, though not a great official, is one of the better officials in the WCHA. Who's the best? I don't know. Coach Cronin of Northeastern was right. The state of officiating in the WCHA is rather poor right now. I was told by Phil Harmeson that the goal of the WCHA is to be as close to NHL standards as possible (don't laugh too hard at this). If it truly is the goal of the WCHA, they will NEVER be close to NHL quality with the officiating the way it is from top to bottom.

What will happen to Jutting and crew? I don't know. They crossed the line. However, do you really put all the blame on Jutting and crew? I think Jutting and crew are responsible for the altercation that allegedly occurred. It didn't need to happen. However, the events leading up to the altercation, in my opinion, stem from a seemingly nonexistant accountability standard that Greg Shepherd "imposes" on his officials. There doesn't seem to be a sheriff keeping the deputies in line. When that happens, vigilantism tends to become an unfortunate possibility. This time it is the coaches who became vigilantes.

Said it before and I'll say it again: The first step to recovering from this black eye is to remove Greg Shepherd from his current post. We can't get away with wholesale dismantling of the officiating corps of the WCHA, but we can install a new operating program.

(Wow, there's a lot of cliches in this post. Oh well. :ohmy: )

... the goal of the WCHA is to be as close to NHL standards as possible ...

Well, they have significant opportunity for improvement then.

The WCHA is immeasurably behind the NHL when it comes to going to a clean, no-clutch, skating game.

Today every other college hockey league is much closer to NHL standards.

Well, they have significant opportunity for improvement then.

The WCHA is immeasurably behind the NHL when it comes to going to a clean, no-clutch, skating game.

Today every other college hockey league is much closer to NHL standards.

Not gonna happen with current leadership. That's what I'm saying.

No, No, thats considered normal for the WCHA, god forbid they actually call the game the way it is supposed to be called.