SiouxSports.com Forum

Fight after the Sunday night gopher/mavericks game

If only we had Belfour

I live in the twin cities (a hostile place at times for a die hard SIOUX fan) :silly: But is sounds like it may have been a little more hostile for Campion one of our favorite referees after the Sunday night game. I have a freind who works at Mariucci and he told me an assistant coach from Mankato went after Campion after the game. He had to be held back by two police officers and even Jutting got into it telling the police "you give you guys a badge and you think you are all powerful" Jutting claims the police overrected, and is going to press charges etc. Have any of you heard about this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the twin cities (a hostile place at times for a die hard SIOUX fan) :) But is sounds like it may have been a little more hostile for Campion one of our favorite referees after the Sunday night game. I have a freind who works at Mariucci and he told me an assistant coach from Mankato went after Campion after the game. He had to be held back by two police officers and even Jutting got into it telling the police "you give you guys a badge and you think you are all powerful" Jutting claims the police overrected, and is going to press charges etc. Have any of you heard about this.

wow, sounds crazy..........maybe they were mad that they only got a couple PP's sunday vs 8 or 9 for the gophs :ohmy:

to bad it wasnt don adam ;)

I watched the game and I didn't think the Mavs got hose by the refs any worse than any other game I have seen over the years but it did seem odd that Minnesota got all of the power plays. Actually in Champion's defense we could have called a MSU-M player for a CFB and didn't. This isn't a way to get the calls to go your way.

I imagine it going to be costly for the Mavs coaches. I am sure the League is going to stick up for its refs. I would imagine a suspension is coming after this one.

It doesn't surpise me that Jutting and his assistants did something like this. It appears Troy is a classless goon behind the bench.

I am not so sure I would call him a goon. :ohmy: Intense might be a better word for it. These guys are under a lot of pressure and from the way I see most of the officials don't call the game the way is should be. I remember TH the other night calling Hunt one of the worst in the league. Just a thought.

Seems to me like Jutting and Means should have some serious action coming towards him. Sounds like he has quite the reputation as being a tad bit whiny as it is. I can see confronting a ref after the game on the ice and discussing some game moments but to go searching for him after the game in their locker room seems pretty innapropriate.

As far as WCHA refs go, maybe it's just me but Campion seems to be the most decent one around as of lately or this season as it goes, with Don Adam still being the biggest toolbox to ever don the striped jersey, how they can keep him around is beyond me.

I realize that it is never good to attach someone, but I have seen a lot of cases where I think that the refs need to be challenged more for there actions and horrible calls. Think of a recent situation with the Sioux and when we should have had a penalty shot and Hak just shock his head. I was watching that and just wanted Hak to go after the refs a little more. Just my thoughts.

Hmmmm. Where have I seen this link before... :ohmy:

Nothing justifies what the coaches did. However, it was the 2nd game in a row at UM that they got the shaft - remember the AR calling a CFB 5xgame from the 100+ feet away when the R was standing 5 feet from the play in December.

I don't know if I could keep my cool watching the officiating in this league. It's pathetic.

I realize that it is never good to attach someone, but I have seen a lot of cases where I think that the refs need to be challenged more for there actions and horrible calls. Think of a recent situation with the Sioux and when we should have had a penalty shot and Hak just shock his head. I was watching that and just wanted Hak to go after the refs a little more. Just my thoughts.

Challenging the officials during the course of a game brings the risk of a penalty. Actually, I'm surprised that coaches and players get away with it as much as they do.

Anyone remember Northeastern coach Greg Cronin's comments about WCHA officiating after the second game against UND at the Ralph last season? :ohmy:

"Honest to God, I've coached in the National Hockey League, the American Hockey League, the OHL, international, WCHA, Hockey East, and that was the worst officiating I've ever seen in my life. All three of them

Challenging the officials during the course of a game brings the risk of a penalty. Actually, I'm surprised that coaches and players get away with it as much as they do.

Anyone remember Northeastern coach Greg Cronin's comments about WCHA officiating after the second game against UND at the Ralph last season? :ohmy:

I agree with you that you don't want to put your team in a worse situation, but in the case when the Sioux should have had a penalty shot, there was only 1 or 2 seconds left on the clock and I think it would have done some good to have Hak go off on the refs. To me it would show the team that he has the fire and maybe that would motivate the team.

It wouldn't have done any good. Shepherd had already determined that no penalty shot would be awarded. No amount of histrionics by Hakstol would have changed that.

It wouldn't have done any good. Shepherd had already determined that no penalty shot would be awarded. No amount of histrionics by Hakstol would have changed that.

OK but Shephard is an ass, but there does need to be more accountability on the refs. Once again I stand corrected by the great mind of PCM!

OK but Shephard is an ass, but there does need to be more accountability on the refs. Once again I stand corrected by the great mind of PCM!

I didn't say that I agreed with Shepherd's decison in that case. I have criticized WCHA officiating in general and Shepherd's calls in particular many times on this board. However, going after the officials during or after a game isn't the way to solve the problem.

Good coaches know which referees they can influence and which ones can hold a grudge and how to treat each type. Bad coaches just do what emotions at the moment compell them to do. Confrontation after a game that requires 3rd party intervention generally won't have a positive lasting effect for your team

Good coaches know which referees they can influence and which ones can hold a grudge and how to treat each type.

This is unfortunate, but accurate.

Officials must be objective, but most fail this at some level.

Bad coaches just do what emotions at the moment compell them to do.

Not to go "Steven Covey" on you all, but you choose your reponse to situations. Allowing unbridled emotion as your choice isn't rational.

Confrontation after a game that requires 3rd party intervention generally won't have a positive lasting effect for your team

Never truer words said.

From INCH:

In the game, Minnesota had seven power plays, while the Mavericks had two.

So Campion didn't go with the "marble in the pocket" theory of officiating that night. Interesting.

The most important question is this:

Did MSU-Mankato commit five more penalties than Minnesota?

This expectation that every game should have equal numbers of powerplays is unrealistic: Objectively call what's happening on the ice.

I didn't say that I agreed with Shepherd's decison in that case. I have criticized WCHA officiating in general and Shepherd's calls in particular many times on this board. However, going after the officials during or after a game isn't the way to solve the problem.

In that situation you demand to see the rule book and get the explanation after shepard showed you the rules

From INCH:

So Campion didn't go with the "marble in the pocket" theory of officiating that night. Interesting.

This expectation that every game should have equal numbers of powerplays is unrealistic: Objectively call what's happening on the ice.

Minnesota was playing so passive you almost needed a mirror under the nose to check for breathing. MSUM played on the edge, hence more penalities. Can you have made an arguement for a missed call here or there, sure. But the penalties reflected the style of play of each team. in my opinion.

From INCH:

The penalties that were called on 'Kato seemed logit to me, but then again I'm wearing maroon and gold glasses as well. But the thing that did worry me is that the penalties were so in favor of Minnnesota. I was waiting for the 3rd to be a constant power play for Mankato to make up for it.....and as a fan it's scary that we get that mentality that the refs will try to even up the penalties.

In fairness to Minnesota, year after year, they have some of the best skaters in the nation. Mankato does not.

As a result there are going to be more situations where Mankato needs to do something else to level play. Minnesota has never been a high penalty team in general, physical play is not there calling card. My guess is that 7 penalties to 2 was probably a fair ratio. That said:

Fire Sheppard