SiouxSports.com Forum

Fight after the Sunday night gopher/mavericks game

If only we had Belfour

You know that I've been criticizing the quality of officiating in the WCHA for years. I'm not debating that point. However, I don't agree that the problem can be solved by coaches going bonkers during or after games.

What happened in Denver when Gwoz... (DU's coach) freaked out. I know what led up to it, but did he/the team get some sort of a penalty out of it? I dont remember the outcome.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened in Denver when Gwoz... (DU's coach) freaked out. I know what led up to it, but did he/the team get some sort of a penalty out of it? I dont remember the outcome.

I believe they were given a 5 minute major and the coach was kicked from the game.

Not sure if they got anything else after the game.

I think too many people are over-reacting to the officiating. Hockey is so subjective that excellence in officiating is like a Picaso painting, some see beauty, some see ugly in the same painting, or in this case, the same call / no call.

Is there room for improvement? Of course, always is in anything in life. Are WCHA officials held to a high standard? I believe they are. Are East officials better? I don't know. Do I scream and cry foul during games? Of course I do! But when I reflect, I see it differently. I would like to believe that the WCHA hires the best available referees.

Now, having said that, I would like to see them adjust to the new NHL, no clutch, no impede style. And they have not. The WCHA is still a clutch and grab league, and that's too bad. But it takes time to adjust, and it does take the Commissioner and Supervisor to "protect" the officials during that adjustment time. So, if they are not adjusting, the blame may well lie at the top of the WCHA.

We are not going to get NHL refs, they are under contract. We should expect, from the best college league in the country, to have the best amatuer officials available. If there are better officials out there, the WCHA needs to identify them, train them and use them. But a blanket statement to get rid of so and so ... I don't think that's a good idea. The replacement might be much worse!

Individually, I'm not a huge Shepherd fan, but I have felt that Campion and Randy Schmidt have been consistent this year in games I've seen. I still miss Mike Schmitt, he was always the best the WCHA and NCAA had to offer in a big game or series.

Now, I hope the Mankato coaches get a stiff suspension from their Sunday actions. Important for the league to send a strong message about going after officials after a game. I watched that game and did not see it as poorly officiated as a disinterested viewer.

I am pretty sure that you won't get any argument from me, because I think all the refs in the WCHA suck.

I don't think Champion is much better than Adam, personally, the NHL refs are much better than the college hockey refs

I remember when Herb Brooks was alive I remember him saying that College hockey should use NHL officials.

Don Adam and Derrek Sheppard are the worst. There is no excuse for their crap.

I disagree. I think most every official is much better than Adam. With other officials, all you have going on the ice is a completely inconsistent viewpoint on the rulebook and rather poor performances. With Adam you still get that, PLUS the underlying precedent Adam has set regarding his belief (or rather lack thereof) on player safety. In other words, Adam is incompetant AND dangerous. The rest of the officials are just incompetant. Also, I'm not sure Derrek is the worst outside of Adam either. I've actually seen him call good games in the past. With Mason, Anderson, and Schmidt I've seen worse. I don't think Campion and Hunt are all that bad. Hunt is Pappa Shepherd's lap dog, meaning every call he seems to miss are calls that Greg Shepherd hasn't seen fit to enforce (mainly obstruction and interference penalties). Hunt and Campion have a tendency to let the boys play, which is good and bad.

Maybe "Doug" is really brother/cousin/whatever Brad?

My take on "be careful what you wish for" is that there isn't a team of angels on the ice. If the officials suddenly wake up and start calling the game the way the game should be called, it COULD at least temporarily hurt the Sioux. Our PK is getting better but still isn't very good.

Gwozdecky was kicked out of the game. The DU bench received a 2-minute minor for unsportsmanlike conduct and a 10-minute game misconduct (according to this box score). The Pioneers were behind 5-2 at that point and lost 6-2. So it was a great effort by Gwoz to get his team fired up. It really made a difference.

Of course, the next night, DU beat the Sioux 7-3. But was that because of Gwoz's theatrics or Prprich's chop to Paukovich's groinal region? When you live by the double-edged sword, it's sometimes hard to tell what works to a team's benefit and what works to its detriment.

No, he's packing his bags to head NDSU's soon-to-be-world-class Division I hockey program. :ohmy:

My god do I despise NDSU fans. They are the absolute most blind homer fans. Ever since they beat wisconsin in basketball last year they have been running their mouths. SHUT THE F' UP. Your sappy and crappy university has done nothing and I mean nothing except 1 win over a legit basketball power. These bleepin a-holes from NDSU act like the world revolves around their athletic department. I got news for you guys= NOBODY CARES.

Correct me if I am wrong but here is my count:

NCAA Division 1 National Tiltes: UND = 7 NDSU = ZERO

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but I feel better. I might have to call Sioux-cia (isn't he/she a board licensed psychologist?)

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but I feel better. I might have to call Sioux-cia (isn't he/she a board licensed psychologist?)

Nope, board certifed and licensed, Family Practice Nurse Practitioner (working in an ER). But I can and do diagnose and treat some mental illnesses. I'd start with a good healthy dose of cheering for your favorite team, the North Dakota Fighting Sioux. :ohmy:

My god do I despise NDSU fans. They are the absolute most blind homer fans. Ever since they beat wisconsin in basketball last year they have been running their mouths. SHUT THE F' UP. Your sappy and crappy university has done nothing and I mean nothing except 1 win over a legit basketball power. These bleepin a-holes from NDSU act like the world revolves around their athletic department. I got news for you guys= NOBODY CARES.

Correct me if I am wrong but here is my count:

NCAA Division 1 National Tiltes: UND = 7 NDSU = ZERO

I love it when you talk that way... :):ohmy: