SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday @ CC

HockeyMom

I don't believe that I'm ready to go that far, but I agree that there are some legitimate questions and concerns. Yes, he got to 2 Frozen Fours, but they were players that were brought in for the most part by Blais. I think we need to see how the season plays out.

For the sake of argument, say the Sioux finish sixth in the WCHA and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Does it ratchet up the pressure for next season? Yes. Do you look at making a move at head coach? In my opinion, absolutely..positively NO. This job will turn into the Alabama of college hockey....

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet if Blais were coaching one of the last two teams to the NCAA Frozen Four he would have won a title with the talent the Sioux had.

If Blais was the coach for the 2005 Frozen Four game against Denver, would Manino from Denver not been as spectactular against UND? I was at the game in 2005, and there's some things that are out of your control, such as what the other team's goaltender does. UND had something like 45 shots in that game. Last year in Milwaukee, our team just picked a bad time to play a bad game against Boston College. For how well we were playing up to that point last year, no one could have seen that kind of game coming. But a coach can't control if your goalie is going to have an off-night like Jordan Parise had last year. Hakstol can't control Smaby getting his feet crossed and falling down, allowing Gerbe(?) to have a breakaway opportunity.

I'm as passionate as anyone on here about Sioux hockey and Sioux sports in general, but to read/hear so many people giving up on the season, coach, or players, it's really disheartening to see.

If Blais was the coach for the 2005 Frozen Four game against Denver, would Manino from Denver not been as spectactular against UND? I was at the game in 2005, and there's some things that are out of your control, such as what the other team's goaltender does. UND had something like 45 shots in that game. Last year in Milwaukee, our team just picked a bad time to play a bad game against Boston College. For how well we were playing up to that point last year, no one could have seen that kind of game coming. But a coach can't control if your goalie is going to have an off-night like Jordan Parise had last year. Hakstol can't control Smaby getting his feet crossed and falling down, allowing Gerbe(?) to have a breakaway opportunity.

I'm as passionate as anyone on here about Sioux hockey and Sioux sports in general, but to read/hear so many people giving up on the season, coach, or players, it's really disheartening to see.

Lefty I am not looking to pick a fight with you but how many more games do we have to watch before we realize this season is a lost season. I have no confidence in the present situation. There is something wrong with this team. Look at the WJC players and you can figure it out. There is no reason Jonathon Toews should be scoring goals and not in the WCHA. I am not sure why people should think you have to suppport this team no matter what happens without any criticizism. This is a Horse Bleep hockey team, there are players not producing its the job of the coaching staff. I am sick and tired of listening to excuses.

I don't believe that I'm ready to go that far, but I agree that there are some legitimate questions and concerns. Yes, he got to 2 Frozen Fours, but they were players that were brought in for the most part by Blais. I think we need to see how the season plays out.

For the sake of argument, like others have said there is substantial grumbling for UND not going out and having a national search for a coach after Blais left, I know because I have heard it a lot, I live in Grand Forks. There are a good number of people that want Steve Johnson, there are a good number that want anyone but Hakstol. I think Perfect argument for looking for a coach nationally is look at what has happened at Notre Dame and they went out and got a top line coach in Jeff Jackson, the same coach that took a small school like LSSU to the national title and won. Now not surprisingly Notre Dame is winning. UND could have had a coach like that. I don't care if this becomes or turns into a Nick Sabin type enviornment, UND deserves the best. I just saying if Hak has anymore season's like this the powers to be at UND will show him the door reguardless if his father-in-law is Tim Okeefe or not.

Whislter brought up a point, he will watch them as long as they are competative I have watched every year since I transfered over to BSU. I remember sitting in empty stadiums while the team sucked. This team isn't far from being that bad again. We will be lucky to finish 6th.

For the sake of argument, say the Sioux finish sixth in the WCHA and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Does it ratchet up the pressure for next season? Yes. Do you look at making a move at head coach? In my opinion, absolutely..positively NO. This job will turn into the Alabama of college hockey....

I would be happy with 6th place because it is better than 8th place, where the Sioux currenly sit. UND is about only 3 points out of home ice. The Sioux, however, havent won in 7 or 8 league games and have a very tough schedule ahead of them. The heat will be on Hakstal reguardless of what people think on SiouxSports.com. This could be only the second time in 10 season UND hasn't been to the NCAA tourney.

Lefty I am not looking to pick a fight with you but how many more games do we have to watch before we realize this season is a lost season. I have no confidence in the present situation. There is something wrong with this team. Look at the WJC players and you can figure it out. There is no reason Jonathon Toews should be scoring goals and not in the WCHA. I am not sure why people should think you have to suppport this team no matter what happens without any criticizism. This is a Horse Bleep hockey team, there are players not producing its the job of the coaching staff. I am sick and tired of listening to excuses.

I don't want to add any more fuel to this fire but, will have to agree with Goon. I don't see a lot of "offensive depth" this year for the sioux. Last season you guys had 2 legit scoring lines that would consistenly score. Now with the departure of Zajac & Stafford has really depleted the scoring. The likes of Forney & Vandevelde were supposed to step in and not miss a beat. It is quite apparent that these guys have not filled the role. Both are in-experienced in WCHA play, where Stafford and Zajac had a few years under their belt.

Also, with Zajac and Stafford last year it allowed Oshie & Toews to "fly under the radar" so to speak. This year Oshie & Toews are struggling because the opposing coaches have figured out if they stop this line the scoring drops off dramatically.

The loss of Smaby also has hurt the sioux. He was an experienced, tough defenseman that brought a "don't even think about coming into my zone becasue I will F you up if you do" type of mentality. To me, the sioux do not have this type of guy. Therefore there is no fear of opposing players standing in front of the net and having their way. To go along with this, the current crop of d-men for the sioux seem to be more offensive minded--which is fine but your main responsibility is to shut down the other teams forwards.

I might get ripped or banned for my next statement but, Lamaroux just plain sucks. I'm sorry he does. Seems to me he gets a free pass because he is from Grand Forks. The times I have seen him play he just can not control his emotions. 2 vivid examples come to mind:

#1) Last January after the 7-1 defeat at Mariucci he shoots the puck into the crowd. Whether it was intentional or un-intnetional is not the point. The point is having your starting goaltender lose his cool like that has a negative effect.

#2) The SCSU series this year. A penalty was called on a SCSU guy and Lamaroux skates to the bench. Subsequent penalty was called so Lamaroux proceeds to return to the net all the while grasping his goalie stick and feigning to masturbate. Now while this is funny to see it tells me that once again he can not control his emotions. The goaltending is the #1 position where you can not absolutely not let one's emotions get the best of them.

Anyway, I'll hang up and listen :lol:

My original post had nothing to do with this year's team. I replied to your statement regarding Blais winning at least one national championship over the last 2 years if he were the coach.

If a player isn't producing, say like Jonathan Toews, I'm sure the coaches do talk to him a little bit. In fact, they did right before he left for Team Canada. He looked like the Toews of old to me on TV this past week. Bottom Line, the coaches can say all the right things to try and motivate individual player's and the team, but the player's still have to execute.

As for you calling it a lost season, go right ahead if that's your perogative. I'm not giving up on this team. I never have, I never will. Maybe they won't make it to the NCAA tournament, but when you make it 80% of the time according to your math, I would be satisfied with that percentage. 8 out of 9 trips currently to the NCAA tournament is rediculously good in my opinion.

I agree that this is pathetic hockey. Hakstol basically went to the final four the last two years with Blais's talent.

Objectively rate the coaching staffs performance this year (the first year that most of the players are Hakstol's recruits)

Recruiting - Name a freshman impact player - regardless of earlier speculation that our freshman class is just as good as the Gophers (they just didn't get as much press) and statements about how our recruits will play "Sioux style hockey (which usedto be hardnosed - this freshman class has not shown us anything yet

Player development - most players have gone backwords this year.

Game coaching - Just look at our power play and our ppk - pathetic - how we can have a power play with both Toews and Oshie and still be impotent is beyond me.

Motivation - have you seen any of the games

Intangibles - we have gone from being a team that you feared (especially in front of the net) to one that teams feel that they can camp out at will - In addition, we seem to take more stupid penalties than anyone

I would be stunned if anyone could rate our staff at any higher than a C- for any of these catagories

Week after week we hear comments about how we had a "good effort, but fell a little short". This will sell for a couple of weeks - let's face it - we are not a good hockey team. This is unacceptabe. I wouldn't be as upset if we appeared to be playing hard consistantly.

I might get ripped or banned for my next statement but, Lamaroux just plain sucks. I'm sorry he does. Seems to me he gets a free pass because he is from Grand Forks. The times I have seen him play he just can not control his emotions. 2 vivid examples come to mind:

#1) Last January after the 7-1 defeat at Mariucci he shoots the puck into the crowd. Whether it was intentional or un-intnetional is not the point. The point is having your starting goaltender lose his cool like that has a negative effect.

#2) The SCSU series this year. A penalty was called on a SCSU guy and Lamaroux skates to the bench. Subsequent penalty was called so Lamaroux proceeds to return to the net all the while grasping his goalie stick and feigning to masturbate. Now while this is funny to see it tells me that once again he can not control his emotions. The goaltending is the #1 position where you can not absolutely not let one's emotions get the best of them.

Anyway, I'll hang up and listen :lol:

The Home town heros from Grand Forks are going to be all over you for that statement. I will cross my fingers and pray for you. :lol: I have to agree Lammy is way too emotional for a goal tender, you can do that kind of BU!!S#!T. The chopping of the puck with his goal stick after a routine save kills me too. Phil did that a few times last weekend.

All the top goaltenders in college and pro keep their emotions in tack. There are few that come to mind Hextal, Billy Smith and Belfoure but both of them are actually good and could get away with it. My only question is why was Grieco sitting in the stands last night will Walski was on the bench. I hope Hak is going to throw Grieco under the bus already.

I agree that this is pathetic hockey. Hakstol basically went to the final four the last two years with Blais's talent.

Objectively rate the coaching staffs performance this year (the first year that most of the players are Hakstol's recruits)

Recruiting - Name a freshman impact player - regardless of earlier speculation that our freshman class is just as good as the Gophers (they just didn't get as much press) and statements about how our recruits will play "Sioux style hockey (which usedto be hardnosed - this freshman class has not shown us anything yet

Game coaching - Just look at our power play and our ppk - pathetic - how we can have a power play with both Toews and Oshie and still be impotent is beyond me.

Motivation - have you seen any of the games

Intangibles - we have gone from being a team that you feared (especially in front of the net) to one that teams feel that they can camp out at will - In addition, we seem to take more stupid penalties than anyone

I would be stunned if anyone could rate our staff at any higher than a C- for any of these catagories

Week after week we hear comments about how we had a "good effort, but fell a little short". This will sell for a couple of weeks - let's face it - we are not a good hockey team. This is unacceptabe. I wouldn't be as upset if we appeared to be playing hard consistantly.

That was a nice post. I agree with your assessment.

I don't want to add any more fuel to this fire but, will have to agree with Goon. I don't see a lot of "offensive depth" this year for the sioux. Last season you guys had 2 legit scoring lines that would consistenly score. Now with the departure of Zajac & Stafford has really depleted the scoring. The likes of Forney & Vandevelde were supposed to step in and not miss a beat. It is quite apparent that these guys have not filled the role. Both are in-experienced in WCHA play, where Stafford and Zajac had a few years under their belt.

Also, with Zajac and Stafford last year it allowed Oshie & Toews to "fly under the radar" so to speak. This year Oshie & Toews are struggling because the opposing coaches have figured out if they stop this line the scoring drops off dramatically.

I think both of these posts touch on what I feel is a glaring weakness - that is the lack of a seasoned veteran WHO CAN SCORE AND NOT JUST BE A ROLE PLAYER. Guys like Kaip and Fabian are nice, and it's cute when they actually find the back of the net, but can we get a Senior forward to average a point per game for once in the foreseeable future? Those types of players should be the ones that are developed by the coaching staff. All of the guys that jump after their sophomore season already have it in them - that's why they're NHL draft picks.

Without getting into a point-by-point analysis of the last page or two of posts, let me just say that I think most of it is incredibly stupid.

Actually, I think there was some good analysis in there if you don't have your green glasses on. :lol: Glad I made my post after you made that comment...

By the way, your sig line is outdated.

I think there is a thread entitled "What's Wrong with Sioux Hockey" or something similar in the archieves. As someone who wears my green glasses all the time, could you experts do me a favor and post your future manifestos on everything wrong with Sioux hockey in the appropriate forum. It's really the more appropriate place for all you hockey experts to go and analyize what is wrong with Sioux hockey, and explain how our recruites and players suck. There, you can all pat each other on the back for all your great observations and hockey insight, and work on setting up the FireHackstol.com web site. Plus, you won't have to read posts from glass wearers like myself.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Without getting into a point-by-point analysis of the last page or two of posts, let me just say that I think most of it is incredibly stupid.

There are some good points mixed in with the drivel, though I wouldn't recommend going back the last few pages of this thread to try to find them. Most of the reading is rather harsh and short sighted.

Like Shawn-O, I'll call it a lost season when I know for sure it is: after the season is over.

Forgive me RWD, but if you want to see a bad team, go to Duluth. Are we far from what UMD has done on the ice this year and last? Yup. I can say that with absolute positivity. We're not doing well this year thus far, but we're nowhere near to being as bad as UMD has been. Will we bounce back? I don't know. Will I stop rooting for the team even if we don't come back? Nope. Will I call for anyone's head? Nope. Will I pray for players to sign? Nope. I look at next year's recruiting class and 2008's as well and I notice that we are getting quality recruits. We COULD get Riley Nash as well. Anthony Grieco has shown us glimpses of what he could develop into and I like what I see. Lamoureux has been solid for three straight games, maybe more. Our D is showing signs of life. Our PK can actually prevent teams from scoring (which, trust me, is a welcome sight. For a while I could score on UND's PK).

People have already forgotten that many of the defensive recruits brought in under Blais were recruited mainly by Dave Hakstol. I think that this year is proof as to how important a cohesive coaching staff is to the team. Berry left (abruptly or not, I don't know) and that threw a wrench into things. Dane Jackson is a good pick, maybe not my first choice, but a good pick nonetheless. However, I can't help but wonder if the change in styles between even Berry and Eades/Jackson (depending upon which duties were picked up by whom after Berry's departure) hasn't been a factor.

No, I'm not going to say that this is the reason why we aren't getting the results. As we all know, there are a bunch of things that have gone wrong. Lately, however, it comes to offense. Really, with the season we've had thus far, with all the problems we've seen, we've "righted the ship" in every way save offense. If we can figure out how to score, we can right the ship fully. Now, whether it is too late or not is hard to tell. Even if it is too late, I'll take the improvement any day of the week.

Really? - make your points as to how this is a good, well coached hockey team with a great freshman class. It's easy to call people stupid when you don't have to back anything up.

I don't think there's one NHL team that plays as tough a game from the back end, on the blueline, as North Dakota does. They've got at least 5 guys that always play the body and are big enough and strong enough that just drive you into the ice." Bill Clement 3:45 of the 3rd period

I noticed this on your post - Have you seen anything that remotely resembles this type of play this year - that is one of the points many of us have made.

My two cents:

If you're going to give Blais credit for recruiting the last two years, then why blame Hakstol because his Freshman aren't playing like seniors.

The biggest problem with this team is that we don't have veteran leadership. There's no way you can lay that on Hak. (And....I was one that wanted us to recruit Sandelin. Shows how much I know doesn't it?

I was ready to call a lost season the last two years. I've learned my lesson and won't quit till that fat cow is singing.

Anybody catch what CSTV was talking about? I only caught the end when they said BSU, NDSU, and UND have a triangle up here and then they were mentioned that a team (I'm assuming NDSU) would have to probably go to the CHA before hopefully getting into the WCHA. Then they were talking about Dean Blais.

Anyone else catch any of this? Have any insight?

Anyone else catch any of this? Have any insight?

I have been reading the Fargo Forum and it appears from what I have read no-one is interested in NCAA hockey down there.

They have been discussing a arena and that was met with no success. Unless there is something behind the scenes. I sit with people from Fargo (NDSU grad that loves Sioux hockey) and they are convinced that Hockey is a dead issue down there too.

Its almost like Blais is out there resurfacing and looking for a job. Its probably going to take 100,000 to sign him.

Experience has taught me if it involves hockey, it doesn't involve NDSU. The two have become mutually exclusive entities.

I completely agree that NDSU hockey will not happen anytime in the near future. I meant more along the lines of if anyone else heard the whole discussion. What they were talking about. Were they discussing possible CHA expansion and if so, were other schools named? Or were they talking about BSU trying to get into the WCHA? They are supposedly making a propossal to the WCHA at the NCAA convention.

If someone told me that NDSU has been talking with the CHA, I'd have to go change my shorts.