SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU FB Coach in the running for UM Job?

BobIwabuchiFan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all,

Some conjecture...I remember from the Gopher/Bison game that alot of people at the stadium wished they could have the Bison coach, instead of Mason. Anyone think he has a chance at the position?

BobIwabuchiFan

No. Even if they did put him in the running Coach Bohl wouldn't accept it. Who wants to coach the goofers right now? the fans would riot if the U offered Coach Bohl the job. (goofer fans) Just take a look at what they are saying about him.. Besides, Coach Bohl IMO is devoted to NDSU football right now.

No. Even if they did put him in the running Coach Bohl wouldn't accept it. Who wants to coach the goofers right now? the fans would riot if the U offered Coach Bohl the job. (goofer fans) Just take a look at what they are saying about him.. Besides, Coach Bohl IMO is devoted to NDSU football right now.

Bohl would be helluva better coach than Mason. Gopher dans are just being snobs about it. They are gonna get some big name unless they pay though the nose. They could get Bohl for relatively cheap.

Bohl would be helluva better coach than Mason. Gopher dans are just being snobs about it. They are gonna get some big name unless they pay though the nose. They could get Bohl for relatively cheap.

You are right with Coach Bohl being better than mason, but it's also involving the fans. Every home game while the players are warming up about 40 mins to an hour before kickoff the student section yells "WE WANT BOHL!!", and everytime we runs across the field and high fives everyone in the first of the student sections. He knows for a fact that we support him and are behind him whether we lose or win. I just doubt that the goofer fans can be like that with how demanding they seemed to be these past couple of years. I do nkow for sure that NDSU's recruiting will be the best it has ever been! :silly:

$1,350,000 - Coach Mason

$117,000 - Coach Bohl

IF the U calls Coach Bohl...do you really believe he will decline a $1,000,000 pay raise?

$1,350,000 - Coach Mason

$117,000 - Coach Bohl

IF the U calls Coach Bohl...do you really believe he will decline a $1,000,000 pay raise?

"I coached because I loved coaching. Not for the money."

-Lou Holtz

Sure, money talks with a megaphone to your ear, but there are things called doing what is best for you. Minnesota does not recruit well at all. NDSU is going to have the best recruiting year ever. He has got Fargo wrapped around his football team. If he were to choose Minnesota and get that million dollar increase, I am sure that he wouldnt enjoy his job as much as he did now. That is JMO.

It's always interesting to read opinions on things like this. Bohl is a very good coach and to me reading that board is funny because of all football programs and fans out there, the Goofer fans are being elitest and taking the we are better than you attitude. Great coaches don't have to have name recognition to be good successful programs, but don't tell that to the UM crowd who apparently want a big name coach even if he does a terrible job. Every team and University has some clueless and flat out stupid fans, but it appears the goofs have more than most. Hell they were all calling for Mason's head, but he actually had more success at Minnesota than Wacker did. I think he probably needed to be bought out or fired after this season but he wasn't nearly as bad a coach as most of the UM fans think or claim.

Maybe the goofs should try and bring Denny Green back to the Twin Cities?

Half of the reason why Gopher fans called for Mason's head was because of how much of a jerk the guy was. Sure he improved the team, but he was very arrogant. He acted towards Gopher fans much like those Gopher fans are acting towards Bohl.

Bohl may be loved at NDSU, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't leave. The two situations are different but being loved at UND didn't prevent Dean Blais from leaving. So you never know.

Bohl has done a good job at NDSU, has D1 experience, and received a number of positive comments from the Twin cities media after the game there.

He would be a very viable candidate. I don't believe he is tied to NDSU's program and their fans. I think he appreciates their support and the good thing he has going their but don't kid yourselves. If he believes in himself and can get a 7 figure contract with the Gophers for 5 years he is gone. There are a lot of Minnesota kids that the Gophers have missed during the Mason years. Take the best Minnesota and N.Dak. kids that UND and NDSU get each year and you are going to move into the top half of the Big Ten. Take 1/2 of the kids they lose to other D1 schools and you win 9 games per year. The linebacker for Ohio State that won the Butkus award is a twin cities kid. The Wisconsin QB's after Bollinger are Minn kids. You could certainly add the kids at UND and NDSU who would have started for the Gophers and for $1,000,000 it is an attractive job. If Bohl turns them around he puts himself in a position for one of the better D1 jobs. Right now, the Gophers are his best bet to move up. I believe that has been his goal all along with all due respects to his fans in Fargo.

Lennon would also be a great candidate but doesn't have the D1 background that Bohl has.

Doesnt' mean he will be hired but he is a great candidates. Unless Bohl gets some inside info that he doesn't have a shot at the job I think he will be a candidate. How they handle it with the media is something else. Until they have a list of finalists Minnesota is supposed to keep the list confidential and I think Bohl will ask them to do that.

What ever they are saying on their blog about fans wanting him or not wanting him will won't have any influence on the decision unless those fans are either former players or write checks for >six figures on a regular basis. The opinion on this web site has never influenced hiring or firing at UND and similar opinions on Gopher web sites will have the same influence..... none.

It's interesting that both Bohl and the guy who fired him at Nebraska, Frank Solich, are being mentioned as candidates. link

Johnson from Navy has done a great job in a program where many of the top players can't meet the physical and academic requirements.

Chryst from Wisconsin because of his success and his ties to Maturi. Has He been a head coach? Walker from UCLA because of his Gopher background. That would be a gamble because he is young and I am not sure he has any head coaching experience? They certainly need to look at him though.

Bohl fits in with these guys. He is a viable candidate. They know about him and he has been successful as a head coach.

Solich, if he is interested, would also be a great candidate. He has proven he can win at the big time level. Isn't he the guy who fired Bohl at Nebraska?

Obviously this will cause some pause for potential NDSU recruits as they wait to see if Bohl goes and if so who does he take with him? The official stance will be they haven't contacted him and he is happy where he is.

You think he would? How would he be? (not in a smacking way, but literally)

Because he can flat out coach. I said he would be a great candidate. I don't think he will be a candidate because he hasn't coached at the D1 level. He is one of the most highly respected coaches in the upper midwest and is also a great recruiter. His players love him and he simply wins. His 3-4 defense against the veer was a factor in how NDSU got from being the dominant D-2 team in the 1980's to going 3-10 against UND in their last 13 games and struggling before their resurection the last 2 years. That is also why Bohl would be a good candidate for the Gophers.

Bohl is a similar candidate to when Ohio State hired Tressel, and we know how that turned out. Tressel had a little bit better resume though, with a couple of I-AA championships under his belt at Youngstown State. Gopher fans need to look beyond the big names, the retreads. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Paul Johnson would be the best candidate, if he's interested.

If I was Maturi, I'd want to talk to Boise State coach Chris Pedersen. Granted, this was his first year as a head coach, but an undefeated season and a win over Oklahoma is bound to make some major conference schools take notice of him.

That was one heck of a game!!!