SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU FB Coach in the running for UM Job?

BobIwabuchiFan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many members of the Alaska rifle teams get written about in the New York Times? I wonder how often they're mentioned on ESPN? I wonder how many have had their pictures in Sports Illustrated? I wonder how many of their championship matches have been broadcast on national television?

So you definately feel that NCs for sports in which a small percentage of the total NCAA membership participate in are less significant than sports with large participation?

So you definately feel that NCs for sports in which a small percentage of the total NCAA membership participate in are less significant than sports with large participation?

So you're still going to continue missing the point while digging the hole deeper by defending your false premise with an invalid analogy? :sad:

So you're still going to continue missing the point while digging the hole deeper by defending your false premise with an invalid analogy? :sad:

Well, regardless of MplsBison's original premise, in comparing the media attention given Alaska's rifle team and that given to UND's hockey team, you do seem to be making the point that championships earned in less popular sports are less significant than those earned in more popular ones.

... you do seem to be making the point that championships earned in less popular sports are less significant than those earned in more popular ones.

Kind of like Florida compared to Appalachian State this year?

And how does one "rank" popular sports? By their championship game being televised on a network? Their semi-finals? The whole last four playing down being made into a weekend-long prime publicity event?

And finally, what does this have to do with Bohl not being hired at Minnesota?

Well, regardless of MplsBison's original premise, in comparing the media attention given Alaska's rifle team and that given to UND's hockey team, you do seem to be making the point that championships earned in less popular sports are less significant than those earned in more popular ones.

You do understand that there are different degrees of popularity, right? I don't know of any DI athletes who compete in riflery who go on to sign million-dollar pro contracts, unless perhaps it's as a hit man for the mob. Obviously, professional sports franchises wouldn't be paying college hockey players millions of dollars a year to leave school early if there wasn't an immediate market for their services.

The New York media wouldn't waste a minute covering the Devils, the Rangers and the Islanders if nobody cared about professional hockey. Nor would ESPN and other major media outlets continue to cover hockey if there was no money to be made at it. When the NHL was idle during the lockout, it wasn't mere coincidence that the Times sent a reporter to Grand Forks to cover the UND-Minnesota series.

Perhaps you're unaware of the stories recently published throughout the U.S. and Canada on the University of North Dakota connection between Zach Parise and Travis Zajac, two New Jersey Devils players. How many times was it mentioned with in the past few weeks that Jonathan Toews, who became a national hero in Canada for his performance at the World Junior Championships in Sweden, was a UND product? Nobody can put a value on that type of publicity and what it does for UND.

While hockey is not played by at nearly as many DI schools as more popular sports and it doesn't attract as many fans or as much attention as those sports, it is vastly more popular than riflery and dozens of other minor sports played at the DI level. Just because college football in general is more popular than college hockey in general doesn't mean than any school with a DI or DI-AA football program can expect just as much attention as Florida or Ohio State. However, in the world of college hockey, UND is viewed on the same level or higher as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, etc.

The fact is, although hockey is certainly not the most popular sport in college athletics, there are many sports fans who, even if they don't follow or like hockey, recognize or are aware of UND's reputation as an elite hockey school. I'm quite certain that the same cannot be said of Alaska's reputation in riflery.

Edited by PCM

You do understand that there are different degrees of popularity, right? I don't know of any DI athletes who compete in riflery who go on to sign million-dollar pro contracts, unless perhaps it's as a hit man for the mob. Obviously, professional sports franchises wouldn't be paying college hockey players millions of dollars a year to leave school early if there wasn't an immediate market for their services.

The New York media wouldn't waste a minute covering the Devils, the Rangers and the Islanders if nobody cared about professional hockey. Nor would ESPN and other major media outlets continue to cover hockey if there was no money to be made at it. When the NHL was idle during the lockout, it wasn't mere coincidence that the Times sent a reporter to Grand Forks to cover the UND-Minnesota series.

Perhaps you're unaware of the stories recently published throughout the U.S. and Canada on the University of North Dakota connection between Zach Parise and Travis Zajac, two New Jersey Devils players. How many times was it mentioned with in the past few weeks that Jonathan Toews, who became a national hero in Canada for his performance at the World Junior Championships in Sweden, was a UND product? Nobody can put a value on that type of publicity and what it does for UND.

While hockey is not played by at nearly as many DI schools as more popular sports and it doesn't attract as many fans or as much attention as those sports, it is vastly more popular than riflery and dozens of other minor sports played at the DI level. Just because college football in general is more popular than college hockey in general doesn't mean than any school with a DI or DI-AA football program can expect just as much attention as Florida or Ohio State. However, in the world of college hockey, UND is viewed on the same level or higher as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, etc.

The fact is, although hockey is certainly not the most popular sport in college athletics, there are many sports fans who, even if they don't follow or like hockey, recognize or are aware of UND's reputation as an elite hockey school. I'm quite certain that the same cannot be said of Alaska's reputation in riflery.

No one would argue that shooting sports even approach the popularity of hockey. However, you can't have it both ways, either the popularity of a sport is a factor in the significance of that sport's championship, or it is not. You seem to be arguing that it is.

If it is a factor...well...you can draw your own conclusions about NCAA hockey championships versus NCAA football or basketball titles. We all understand the difference in popularity between hockey and those sports.

Well, within the world of rifalry, Alaska is well known as one of the best.

And how cool would it be if there were a professional sharp shooter league? You put 2 teams out in an arena and let them snipe each other until only one team stands.

Damn... no longer eligible.

No one would argue that shooting sports even approach the popularity of hockey.
Then what was the point of comparing DI championships in riflery to DI championships in hockey? I wasn't the one who made the comparison.

However, you can't have it both ways, either the popularity of a sport is a factor in the significance of that sport's championship, or it is not. You seem to be arguing that it is.
Of course it's a factor. It would be stupid to argue otherwise.

If it is a factor...well...you can draw your own conclusions about NCAA hockey championships versus NCAA football or basketball titles. We all understand the difference in popularity between hockey and those sports.
What you don't seem to understand is that seven national championships in DI hockey are worth a hell of a lot more than zero national championships in DI-AA football and zero national championships in DI basketall. The mere fact that a school competes within those levels does not confer greatness, status, excellence or nationwide recognition. You have to win something at those levels to be something.

Would I prefer that UND be a DI football or basketball powerhouse? Certainly. Are those realistic objectives for the near future? I sincerely doubt it. However, because UND successfully competes with elite DI schools in hockey and is known nationally and internationally for producing world-class hockey players, it translates into significant benefits in terms of nationwide publicity for Fighting Sioux athletics and contacts with DI schools.

Then what was the point of comparing DI championships in riflery to DI championships in hockey? I wasn't the one who made the comparison.

Of course it's a factor. It would be stupid to argue otherwise.

What you don't seem to understand is that seven national championships in DI hockey are worth a hell of a lot more than zero national championships in DI-AA football and zero national championships in DI basketall. The mere fact that a school competes within those levels does not confer greatness, status, excellence or nationwide recognition. You have to win something at those levels to be something.

Would I prefer that UND be a DI football or basketball powerhouse? Certainly. Are those realistic objectives for the near future? I sincerely doubt it. However, because UND successfully competes with elite DI schools in hockey and is known nationally and internationally for producing world-class hockey players, it translates into significant benefits in terms of nationwide publicity for Fighting Sioux athletics and contacts with DI schools.

So you're still going to continue missing the point while digging the hole deeper by defending your false premise with an invalid analogy? :whistling:

So you're still going to continue missing the point while digging the hole deeper by defending your false premise with an invalid analogy? :whistling:

What false premise did I make?

Edited by PCM