SiouxSports.com Forum

Hirsch kicked off Gophers

Chuck Schwartz

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how do we know that Lucia asked his Mom? Do you have any evidence of that.

I think a classy thing to do would be let Hirsh know before the equipment manager.

And where did I kick Hirsh on this or any thread?

I don't know that anymore than you know he didn't. My response 'Why kick him when he's down' was to your ' However if his problem was medical rather than attitude would they have cleaned out his locker BEFORE they kicked him off of the team?'

We know his history of illness. We don't know that he had an 'attitude' problem.

I believe it's on a semester-by-semester basis.

I'm confused! :silly: If he had academic problems last semester, he could play Friday but not Saturday?

Given this kid's history of academic excellence, failing classes could also be a symptom of his illness.

I don't know that anymore than you know he didn't. My response 'Why kick him when he's down' was to your ' However if his problem was medical rather than attitude would they have cleaned out his locker BEFORE they kicked him off of the team?'

We know his history of illness. We don't know that he had an 'attitude' problem.

We don't know if his problem is an illness or if it was attitude. Is it wrong to discuss the known facts of the case to figure out if it was attitude or his condition? How is the kicking him when he's down.

Frankly I'd feel better for him if it was attitude and not his condition forcing him out. If it's attitude he can turn himself around.

Are you going to speculate anything more about this supposed conversation between his coach and his mom?

This was the point I am trying to make, and I'll leave it at this: In sports, teams dont kick players to the curb because they have mental problems. Teams (college or pro) will do all they can to help the player through the time, as witnessed with the Hirsch situation a while ago. They did not kick him off the team, they tried to make sure he regained his health and then welcomed him back to the team with open arms. Why, if it was the same thing this time, would they just kick him off the team? The two may be somehow related, but I highly doubt that the reason he was kicked off was due to his mental state.

This was the point I am trying to make, and I'll leave it at this: In sports, teams dont kick players to the curb because they have mental problems. Teams (college or pro) will do all they can to help the player through the time, as witnessed with the Hirsch situation a while ago. They did not kick him off the team, they tried to make sure he regained his health and then welcomed him back to the team with open arms. Why, if it was the same thing this time, would they just kick him off the team? The two may be somehow related, but I highly doubt that the reason he was kicked off was due to his mental state.

Yes, in sports players do get kicked to the curb because of illness.

We don't know if his problem is an illness or if it was attitude.

This is the key point to this entire thread. No one who's posting here seems to know if Tyler's dismisal from the team is because of attitude or illness, so why bash either side? Tyler obviously has some personal things he needs to get in order, which may or may not be related to his illness/disability. Where this isn't an official job for Tyler, he would still have rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act, providing his illness has been diagnosed as a disability. The respectful thing to do here is to wish Tyler the best in life, which is exactly what U of M's press release did. We don't know the facts, yet we feel it's okay to bash certain people because of speculation (and that can go either way - Tyler or Lucia)? I doubt we'll learn much more about the specifics of all of this so we should just be respectful to all those involved, unless we find something out that gives us reason to criticize.

I'm confused! :silly: If he had academic problems last semester, he could play Friday but not Saturday?

Given this kid's history of academic excellence, failing classes could also be a symptom of his illness.

I'm not saying the kid's not sick....just saying that's another element to it.

I agree with the thought that the bashing needs to stop. I can't bring myself to truly care about the going-ons of another team, but I still hate to see it happen to a young kid like Hirsch. I guess there are just some parts of the story that none of us are going to know, and it's just too bad that his hockey career seems to have ended in this way.

This is the key point to this entire thread. No one who's posting here seems to know if Tyler's dismisal from the team is because of attitude or illness, so why bash either side? Tyler obviously has some personal things he needs to get in order, which may or may not be related to his illness/disability. Where this isn't an official job for Tyler, he would still have rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act, providing his illness has been diagnosed as a disability. The respectful thing to do here is to wish Tyler the best in life, which is exactly what U of M's press release did. We don't know the facts, yet we feel it's okay to bash certain people because of speculation (and that can go either way - Tyler or Lucia)? I doubt we'll learn much more about the specifics of all of this so we should just be respectful to all those involved, unless we find something out that gives us reason to criticize.

Let's see. You've got some people who are taking Hirsh's word that his year off solved those other problems. They are speculating what would have lead to his dismissal from the team.

On the other hand you've got some folks diagnosing mental conditions without knowing the first thing about it.

Who's out of line?

Either way, I hope the guy gets through this whatever the cause.

On the other hand you've got some folks diagnosing mental conditions without knowing the first thing about it.

I'm a Board Certified, licensed, health care professional. I have never talked to Tyler, his family or friends. I have no access to his medical records and have based my comments on facts that have been published about his health, academics and actions on the ice.

Given this kid's history of academic excellence and excellence on the ice, as an outsider, I view his academic failure (struggles?) and problems on the ice as symptoms that, to me, indicate his health problems are not under adequate control. Previous to his coming back to school and back to the game of hockey, his illness may have been under good control. The stressors associated with academia and pressure to 'put out' on the ice are two factors that may have resulted in an exacerbation of his illness which may indicate adjusting or changing his medical treatment to acheive good/adequate control.

Rather than looking at this kid as having an attitude problem or being a cancer and detriment to the Gopher hockey association, and looking at what facts are available, I believe his problems are medical.

I, too, wish him and his family the best outcome available.

Since when did having an illness become a choice? You have no idea how difficult it is for someone to be sick, especially an athlete. You're suppose to be strong, in control, and be 'normal' just like everyone else.

When an illness is not treated optimally, any illness, in most cases, that is not a choice the afflicted person made. You don't let someone whose diabetes/heart disease/cancer, etc., is not under control and is adversely affected by participating in a sport continue to play that sport. The same goes for other illnesses.

I hope for both your sakes that no one you care about loses a job, loses friends, or loses the ability to do what they love the most due to an illness. But then I guess if it does happen it's because they're jerks, losers, a cancer to their family and friends and you won't have one iota of sympathy for them. Hell, it will be their own damn fault won't it?

Next time I see someone to sick to work, participate in activities of daily living or take care of themselves, I'll be sure to kick them when they're down. :silly:

* @#$%^& *

Relax Mother Theresa, you're gonna give yourself a freaking heart attack. This is a message board where people post opinions. Mine differs from yours. Deal with it.

I'm a Board Certified, licensed, health care professional. I have never talked to Tyler, his family or friends. I have no access to his medical records and have based my comments on facts that have been published about his health, academics and actions on the ice.

Given this kid's history of academic excellence and excellence on the ice, as an outsider, I view his academic failure (struggles?) and problems on the ice as symptoms that, to me, indicate his health problems are not under adequate control. Previous to his coming back to school and back to the game of hockey, his illness may have been under good control. The stressors associated with academia and pressure to 'put out' on the ice are two factors that may have resulted in an exacerbation of his illness which may indicate adjusting or changing his medical treatment to acheive good/adequate control.

Rather than looking at this kid as having an attitude problem or being a cancer and detriment to the Gopher hockey association, and looking at what facts are available, I believe his problems are medical.

Nobody asked for your resume. I'm sure we all have interesting backgrounds. That said, two things remain unchanged: Pure speculation on your part and an apparent inability to control your temper.

This is speculation on everyones part, and according to the U of M and Lucia, it will always be that, as they have stated no other comments will come from them or the team. Unless something comes from Tyler or his family, it will remian speculation.

So far you haven't seen Sioux-cia's temper. Keep calling her names, and you might. :silly:

Relax Mother Theresa, you're gonna give yourself a freaking heart attack. This is a message board where people post opinions. Mine differs from yours. Deal with it.

You are right, regardless of how ignorant and ill-founded an opinion is, we all have them. Thank you Sioux-cia for sharing yours. I too have a close relative that is challenged with mental illness.

Wow you can diagnose someone over the internet now. Jeez you guys are advancing.

Since I'm just a hockey fan, can you described these symptoms and relate them to how they relate to his earlier diagnosis?

Given all the medical expertise that is being spouted, does anyone know a sure fire hangover cure? :sad::silly:

I'm no doctor but I have a system that has worked pretty well for me in the past. You take a multi-vitamin before you start drinking and one before you hit the hay.....if you can remember. Works pretty well.

1st of all good luck to Tyler in whatever he does. If in fact he was dismissed from the team due to mental illness, good luck with that. Hopefully tDon and tU are offering whatever help/assistance that you require.

Secondly, Handyman, good luck to you in your future, I'm forseeing either mall security, or perhaps volunteer sheriff's deputy.

Last but not least, goodbye Glenn Mason. Hopefully the Gopher's football team has years and years of mediocrity left in them.

All of you who are speculating that Hirsh was kicked off because his attitude fail to realize that his medical condition is well documented. You also assume that the U of M or Lucia would have enough class to give the kid the support he needs for his medical condition rather than have the equipment manager clean out his locker. Again, since Lucia is remaining silent, I really hope that the U is standing behind Hirsh and making sure he gets the help he needs.

Those blaming Hirsh and those saying that Hirsh had been given enough chances obviously have no experience with mental illness. You are entitled to you opinion. In this case, it's just wrong.

We have differing opinions. I can post mine as well as you can. However, I have managed to do it without lowering myself to call anyone names. If your opinion had any merit, you wouldn't have to resort to name calling. But as we can read......

Nobody asked for your resume. I'm sure we all have interesting backgrounds. That said, two things remain unchanged: Pure speculation on your part and an apparent inability to control your temper.

If you had bothered to read The Whistlers post 'folks diagnosing about mental illness without knowing the first thing about it', you would know I responded to that statement. I do know the first thing and more about mental illness. Temper? What are you talking about? I posted my opinion based on known facts. Why do you interpret that as my not being able to control my temper? Your speculation is based your hatred for the Gopher organization not on any posted FACTS. At least I based my opinion/speculation on known facts. If you had bothered to notice, my post clearly states this is my opinion/speculation.