SiouxSports.com Forum

Hirsch kicked off Gophers

Chuck Schwartz

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an amazing talent to watch. I feel fortunate to have seen him play for the past few years. I will remember quick hands, hockey sense and great vision. My prayers are with you Tyler.

Same. I had a feeling that he came back too soon, but I'm not sure he had much of a choice if he was going to try to make a comeback in a Gopher jersey.

He was doing very well for quite some time and then just faded. It's too bad.

Whenever I hear of someone being kicked off a team, I lose most of the respect I may have had for that person. My view on it is that 20 other guys can follow the rules, why can't you? I felt sorry for Hirsch after the incident a few years ago, but I lost all respect for him after hearing this. I dont really think that you would kick a kid off the team because he has a mental disorder. The kid would probably be held out of a few games until they can figure the problem out, or in Hirsch's case, sit out a season. But you dont kick a kid off a team for something that isn't his fault. Clearly he was a cancer in the locker room and the coaches couldn't handle him anymore. No sympathy, no respect.

Whenever I hear of someone being kicked off a team, I lose most of the respect I may have had for that person. My view on it is that 20 other guys can follow the rules, why can't you? I felt sorry for Hirsch after the incident a few years ago, but I lost all respect for him after hearing this. I dont really think that you would kick a kid off the team because he has a mental disorder. The kid would probably be held out of a few games until they can figure the problem out, or in Hirsch's case, sit out a season. But you dont kick a kid off a team for something that isn't his fault. Clearly he was a cancer in the locker room and the coaches couldn't handle him anymore. No sympathy, no respect.

:silly:

I don't think it's clear at all that Tyler was a "cancer", a pretty offensive and loaded term. What's clear is that he wasn't living up to the expectations of the coaching staff and that's it. Everything else is speculation. It's ok to speculate but IMHO drawing such a conclusion as you did is unfounded.

Maybe, but Hirsch's recent history kinda throws a wrench in this theory.

How he was in the lockerroom is unknown. He is struggling from mental illness (of some sort or another) which could very well be part of what the foundation of the "problem" is. Some are able to cope and handle the problem in a short amount of time. Others need a varying degree of more time. Maybe Hirsch hasn't yet come to grips with and set up adequate coping mechanisms to handle his issues and Lucia thought it was best for Hirsch and the team to part company.

I think menal illness is the culprit here whether directly the cause or indirectly. I DOUBT Hirsch would choose to be as useless on the ice as he was apparently on Friday if he wasn't encumbered by the illness.

I saw one interview of the guy a few years back and didn't like him.

That being said you don't give up on something you've worked your whole life on a whim.

The pressure of playing D1 hockey and keeping up your grades probably contributed to the problems. I'll bet the pressure is even higher playing for the goophers.

As I said I didn't like him when he was a gopher, but I wish him the best now.

I now feel the need to saw something nasty about the self appointed "rumor enforcer." I won't, but he was way out of line and off base.

Your a Badger fan and you posted this on the sioux and gopher board and not the badger board...interesting.

I guess Badger Fans can comment on Goofer press reports.

Here is one for you Mason is out too at the UMN. :silly: That shouldn't shock anyone either.

Best post on this topic yet. I feel the same way, but wouldn't have been so tactful.

Best post on this topic yet. I feel the same way, but wouldn't have been so tactful.

Since when did having an illness become a choice? You have no idea how difficult it is for someone to be sick, especially an athlete. You're suppose to be strong, in control, and be 'normal' just like everyone else.

When an illness is not treated optimally, any illness, in most cases, that is not a choice the afflicted person made. You don't let someone whose diabetes/heart disease/cancer, etc., is not under control and is adversely affected by participating in a sport continue to play that sport. The same goes for other illnesses.

I hope for both your sakes that no one you care about loses a job, loses friends, or loses the ability to do what they love the most due to an illness. But then I guess if it does happen it's because they're jerks, losers, a cancer to their family and friends and you won't have one iota of sympathy for them. Hell, it will be their own damn fault won't it?

Next time I see someone to sick to work, participate in activities of daily living or take care of themselves, I'll be sure to kick them when they're down. :silly:

* @#$%^& *

Since when did having an illness become a choice? You have no idea how difficult it is for someone to be sick, especially an athlete. You're suppose to be strong, in control, and be 'normal' just like everyone else.

When an illness is not treated optimally, any illness, in most cases, that is not a choice the afflicted person made. You don't let someone whose diabetes/heart disease/cancer, etc., is not under control and is adversely affected by participating in a sport continue to play that sport. The same goes for other illnesses.

I hope for both your sakes that no one you care about loses a job, loses friends, or loses the ability to do what they love the most due to an illness. But then I guess if it does happen it's because they're jerks, losers, a cancer to their family and friends and you won't have one iota of sympathy for them. Hell, it will be their own damn fault won't it?

Next time I see someone to sick to work, participate in activities of daily living or take care of themselves, I'll be sure to kick them when they're down. :silly:

* @#$%^& *

Well said, Sioux-cia. This isn't about someone with an ego problem, a me first problem, or an attitude problem. This is about someone who clearly has a medical problem of some sort. Time for some people to grow up and realize this situation for what it is.

Well said, Sioux-cia. This isn't about someone with an ego problem, a me first problem, or an attitude problem. This is about someone who clearly has a medical problem of some sort. Time for some people to grow up and realize this situation for what it is.

Would that person be effectively fired, Sioux-cia, because of said illness? Absolutely not. And Lucia would absolutely not kick Hirsch off the team if this was due to his mental health. That's the point I was trying to make. You dont get fired because you have a (mental) illness. What would happen if someone went into their job and got fired because they had, say, schizophrenia. The company would probably do everything they could to help this employee recover, and eventually let them return to their job. You get fired when you become a detrement to the team/company. And this is clearly what happened with Hirsch.

Would that person be effectively fired, Sioux-cia, because of said illness? Absolutely not. And Lucia would absolutely not kick Hirsch off the team if this was due to his mental health. That's the point I was trying to make. You dont get fired because you have a (mental) illness. What would happen if someone went into their job and got fired because they had, say, schizophrenia. The company would probably do everything they could to help this employee recover, and eventually let them return to their job. You get fired when you become a detrement to the team/company. And this is clearly what happened with Hirsch.

I completly agree, people don't get kicked off teams for having a mental illness. If this was the case the team/university would have handled the situation differenlty.

Yes!! People lose their jobs when they can no longer do them due to illness every day. What planet do you reside in? People take out disability insurance (I have) in the event that they contract an illness and cannot work. Social Security has a disability plan for people who have lost their jobs and cannot work due to illness and/or accident. In some cases, they get some sort of compensation, other poor souls get squat! Employers cannot afford to keep people on because they like them, understand their illness, etc. They have a business to run and they need people in their positions to do the job. I know that Tyler lost of year of school beause of his illness. He came back and obviously cannot perform as anticipated due to his illness.

It's interesting that you bring up schizophrenia. Statistics show that a good many of our homeless are schizophrenic. Many of them cannot stand the significant side effects of the medication that is prescribed to make them 'normal' and quit taking them. Great choice they have. Take your medication, suffer the side effects or let your disease remain 'uncontrolled'.

My mother was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease before she died. Should my siblings and I washed our hands of her because she couldn't remember if she took her medication and over medicated herself, should we have yelled at her with disgust when she told us the same story six times in an hour, should we have banished her to the streets because she forgot she had something cooking on the stove. Damn woman!! What the hell was she thinking not controlling her illness and becoming a burden on us? We should never have taken her in and provided 24 hour companionship for her safety!! According to you she was a cancer to the family. Up until the age of 76 she was serving meals at the Senior Citizen center, she cleaned house for shut ins for free, she couldn't drive but with her little wire basket on wheels she would buy groceries and deliver them to shut ins. And then....., damn her, she developed a mental illness and couldn't do those things any more! She was a detriment to society and to her family!!!

I was taking a look at Tyler's official bio and some things stuck out at me:

He is 22 years old

He was Student Council President at Shattuck-St. Mary’s, President of Student Activities, and the Headmasters Advisory Committee Senior Representative.

He was a WCHA All-Academic Team member and U of M Scholar-Athlete as a Sophomore

He was Business and marketing education major

I cannot believe that someone could fall that hard and that fast without any good reason, and from his actions all signs point to some psychological problem. He's at the right age for onset of most mood, anxiety, and personality disorders and he is a college athlete which is stressful on even the most academically inclined students, not to mention social pressure and his own personal goals. As to why things happened this way and why he kept getting second chances, well maybe like most individuals he denies that he has a problem; I think Lucia tried to do the right thing, but if you don't want to believe something you're just not gonna believe it and "throwing him off the team" was the only real way to get Tyler to consider the severity of his present condition in life. I have heard two former Sioux players speak the praises of who Tyler Hirsch was in high school and I'm disinclined to think that 2 years at the U could have simply turned him into a jackass.

Sorry, Soohockey15, but you are talking apples and oranges. This is not a job, it is a sport. Yes, some use it as a stepping stone to a job, but it is not a job. Coaching staffs have a responsibility to the health of their players as it relates to the game of hockey. If health issues are impairing a person or posing a risk to themselves personally, the coaching staff has a responsibility to take positive action. I believe that Hirsch is a senior (I may be wrong on that), with one more semester of eligibility. Mental health is not something where you run to the doctor to get a Z-pac and are ready to go in a few days. It takes many months or longer to nurse someone back to health. This is the second time around for Hirsch, and he took a year off after the first time. I am sure that the Gopher hockey staff has far more information than you or any of us have. I would guess that they were probably informed of things to watch for prior to the start of the season, and what would be the required action if problems arose. FYI, a person is rarely cured from something such as mental illness. The medical profession simply attempts to manage it as best they can, and sometimes someone can become fully functional. But they are always at risk of having a relapse. It would appear that Hirsch has had a relapse of his prior problem, and is going to need substantial help and time to recover. I would suggest that yes, his illness, was possibly a detriment to the team, but more so a detriment to Hirsch himself. Players have to have enough skill, and mental acuity to protect themselves on the ice (and no, I don't mean fighting or rough stuff). Clearly, if Hirsch is not sufficiently well enough to protect himself, he should not be on the ice. It is best to simply wish him well in his recovery and leave it there.

I'm not beating up on Hirsh here, now that he's not gopher-scum I truly wish him the best.

However if his problem was medical rather than attitude would they have cleaned out his locker BEFORE they kicked him off of the team?

What has that got to do with anything other than maybe showing a little compassion for the boy. He didn't have to come in and do it himself. I can't imagine how painful it would be to have to clean out my locker and walk away from something I love and can't do right now because right now I'm not right!?! If Lucia cares about his players as individuals this is something he would do. How do we know that Lucia didn't talk to Tyler's mother and she asked his to to that.

The Gopher's are a rival hockey team on the ice. Off the ice, many of these boys are friends of our boys. Why kick the boy when he's down? I don't understand that mentality and frankly, I don't want to.

What has that got to do with anything other than maybe showing a little compassion for the boy. He didn't have to come in and do it himself. I can't imagine how painful it would be to have to clean out my locker and walk away from something I love and can't do right now because right now I'm not right!?! If Lucia cares about his players as individuals this is something he would do. How do we know that Lucia didn't talk to Tyler's mother and she asked his to to that.

The Gopher's are a rival hockey team on the ice. Off the ice, many of these boys are friends of our boys. Why kick the boy when he's down? I don't understand that mentality and frankly, I don't want to.

And how do we know that Lucia asked his Mom? Do you have any evidence of that.

I think a classy thing to do would be let Hirsh know before the equipment manager.

And where did I kick Hirsh on this or any thread?