SiouxSports.com Forum

Hirsch kicked off Gophers

Chuck Schwartz

There's just something so odd about Hirsch's situation.

I remember Zach Parise being interviewed a couple years ago as a River Rat and he mentioned that Tyler was one of his best friends. He gave every indication of Hirsch being an active, involved, intelligent kid in high school with pretty good hockey skill to boot. And now, this? It's really kind of sad.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hirsch could stick handle around many defenders in a phone booth. There has been a lot of speculation that he wouldn't finish the season. It's a shame that a kid who grew up a hockey player can't seem to enjoy himself during what is probably his last year of organized hockey.

Hirsh picked Minnesota over UND and for that I am thankful. It is a shame though that his career had to end this way. Someone will pick him up and he will probably at least play in the ECHL.

Perhaps the Minnesota Tech organization had something to do with his state of mind - just a thought.

Shocking that you would take unrelenting cheap shots at the "U". Must have had your Cheerios soiled again by Lucia right? Or was it some mob of nasty Gophers fans this time? You might as well take a poke at Mase while your at it.

Hirsch could stick handle around many defenders in a phone booth. There has been a lot of speculation that he wouldn't finish the season. It's a shame that a kid who grew up a hockey player can't seem to enjoy himself during what is probably his last year of organized hockey.

good post, did he play 2 years at shattuck with zach or would he be a year younget than zach?

Shocking that you would take unrelenting cheap shots at the "U". Must have had your Cheerios soiled again by Lucia right? Or was it some mob of nasty Gophers fans this time? You might as well take a poke at Mase while your at it.

masons squad blew that bowl game like a 2 dollar hooker :D

wow - sensative on the subject - probably knew it was going to materialize.

Good riddance to Hirsch. It certainly appears that he was given plenty of chances.

Kudos, for a change, to Lucia for being smart enough to carve out another cancer

in team chemistry before it had a chance to fester.

Tyler Hirsch is in the rear view mirror. Good luck to him for whatever his does with his life

now that his hockey days are over.

Good riddance to Hirsch. It certainly appears that he was given plenty of chances.

Kudos, for a change, to Lucia for being smart enough to carve out another cancer

in team chemistry before it had a chance to fester.

He is in the rear view mirror. Good luck to him for whatever his does with his life

now that his hockey days are over.

he sure was given many chances by the pet, he will be a loss for the gophs for sure but im sure they will score without him...

ps....was anyone on this board actually at the game, just curious what you though watching skate around like it was a pee wee open ice night??

last post from me on this subject

from GPL

The Official Press Release:

University of Minnesota men's hockey head coach Don Lucia announced today that senior forward Tyler Hirsch has been dismissed from the team.

"Tyler Hirsch's hockey career at the University of Minnesota has come to an end," Lucia said. "This is a provate and confidential matter between Tyler and the coaching staff, and there will be no further comments from any members of the hockey program or the University of Minnesota. We wish Tyler success in his future endeavors".

Too bad for that kid. From what little I have heard, he sounds bi-polar. I hope he has at least a stable life from here on. Hopefully, they'll find the right meds and it can be nipped in the bud before it gets any worse. Of course, sometimes it gets worse regardless. I remember the day after that crashing into the net episode happened when SCCC (I believe) was playing someone and some of the Goofer parents almost lynched an SCCC fan for comparing Hirsh with Jeffrey Dahmer (I believe)..... at least in terms of psychoses. Pretty tacky but the guy got really ripped for it. I thought that a couple of beer belly dads were going to punch him, or at least were going to try to do so. I didn't look like they'd be able to do anything without having a heart attack risk but they were sure pissed.

The young man has a health problem not unlike diabetes or hypertension. It can't be 'cured' but with proper treatment can be 'managed'. I hope for his sake that his family and friends help him acheive the optimal management of his health problem.

This illness like any illness takes it's toll on a person. For some it can be likened to trying to climb a mountain of loose sand. I feel really bad for him and his family and my prayers are with them.

The young man has a health problem not unlike diabetes or hypertension. It can't be 'cured' but with proper treatment can be 'managed'. I hope for his sake that his family and friends help him acheive the optimal management of his health problem.

This illness like any illness takes it's toll on a person. For some it can be likened to trying to climb a mountain of loose sand. I feel really bad for him and his family and my prayers are with them.

That is well said, you can only hope he is getting treatment for his problem and with the proper care he should be fine. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him

I could see him playing professionally because he is a good player.

117 for Handy is like not posting. In his prime I bet he could crank out several hundred per day. :sad:

I actually think he had 2 keyboards and made different posts with his left and right hand at the same time. And sometimes it even looked like one knew what the other was talking about.

j/k, Handy.

Do you know for certain that he is suffering from something? Or are you referring to the posts about him sounding as if he's Bi Polar?

Do you know for certain that he is suffering from something? Or are you referring to the posts about him sounding as if he's Bi Polar?

his actions over the past few years pretty much tells that he has mental problems. very telling and obvious. it has been a ongoing story since the blow up he had in the final 5 after the game vs the sioux. very evident. and it has continued the last 2 years out of hockey then back into hockey. too bad.

his actions over the past few years pretty much tells that he has mental problems. very telling and obvious. it has been a ongoing story since the blow up he had in the final 5 after the game vs the sioux. very evident. and it has continued the last 2 years out of hockey then back into hockey. too bad.

Yeah I know about all that stuff. Psychologically something was obviously wrong. Someone on the USCHO boards mentioned him crying or sobbing on the bench during a game, which I hadn't heard. If he does have some sort of disorder he is in the time of his life in which it would become most apparent.

I just can't agree with some people on here who say things like "good riddance to him." To me there is a difference b/w being a cancer in the locker room and what Tyler is going through. He was not purposefully trying to be a detriment to his club and as such he deserves our respect as a person.

Thought it was interesting....

I was informed by a very, very reliable source last night and then confirmed this morning that Hirsch has been kicked off the team. Last night after the players were all gone Lucia told Equipment manager Harry to remove all of Hirsch's stuff from his locker. The coaches broke the news to him this morning.

What a waste of talent.

Your a Badger fan and you posted this on the sioux and gopher board and not the badger board...interesting.

wow - sensative on the subject - probably knew it was going to materialize.

I know this is buried back in the history of this thread, but I'll step up for sagard on this one.

Look, his post (the one about him stickhandling in a phonebooth) was very good and, really, poking at Hirsch is rather low. We don't like it when Gopher fans come on here and talk about Bina's tragedy as being warranted like State of Hockey seems to feel. I think this is a worthy thread to have even though it isn't Sioux related, but only if it is done respectfully. And, sorry to say, some of us aren't being respectful. Calling out sagard on this matter is simply calling out the wrong Gopher fan. He's NEVER EVER been disrespectful to the Sioux, this site, or any of its posters without such posters REALLY poking at him.

I think we need to show more class here, folks.