SiouxSports.com Forum

Swept again!

OETKB

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please share with us why you believe the next few years will be bleak when some of the top prospects are headed this way. All this team needs to find is some consistent goaltending.

I just got back from Friday's game with Michigan Tech - Just what kind of freshman class do you think will turn this team around? - In addition, if they progress like this years sophomores, we're in real trouble.

....several aspects of the Sioux play are particulairly frustrating - especially being out hit, being taken to task at home.....They have played some of the crappiest periods of hockey that I have seen from a Sioux team since the early 70's. ....

This post is spot on again for tonight's loss to Tech. What some people see is a Sioux team that seems to be skating pretty hard and puts 30 shots on goal. What I see is a Sioux team that got outworked for 2.9 periods, then put 12 shots on goal in the last few minutes of the game. What that tells me is they could have pounded the net harder and had their way with Tech if they really wanted it. After all the friggen losses lately, you might have thought they would really want this one.

This post is spot on again for tonight's loss to Tech. What some people see is a Sioux team that seems to be skating pretty hard and puts 30 shots on goal. What I see is a Sioux team that got outworked for 2.9 periods, then put 12 shots on goal in the last few minutes of the game. What that tells me is they could have pounded the net harder and had their way with Tech if they really wanted it. After all the friggen losses lately, you might have thought they would really want this one.

What we saw tonight was unacceptable.

What we saw tonight was unacceptable.

You and I know it, Goon. At times, I think fans over-react to losses. Not right now. This team is making a habit out of losing.

Lots of lousy team out there "work hard and try to stay positive". That is not UND's role.

Take Toews and Oshie from this team (which might happen if they decide to move up) and what do we have to build on? The lack of development of current players who have been highly rated (Lee for example) leaves me to worry no matter who's comming in. No one seems to be getting better. In addition, there are several disturbing trends this year - One is our lack of physical play on Defense. We went from a team who had the most feared defensemen in the league to a team that gets outhit in our own arena. In addition, the undisciplined play (stupid penalties), inconsistant play (taking entire periods off), horribe penalty kill, and poor goaltending make me worry that unless we get our acts together we are in for a long period of frustration. Counting on next year's freshmen to pull us up (especially at this point of this year) makes me uneasy. Our mental approach as a team may be my biggest concern - why can't they turn it on for 3 periods?

DUDE...it starts at the top. Since Hakstol has been coach, we've been out recruited and outplayed. Blaise was the guy who in reality, brought on Oshie, Lee ant Toews.....as he starts to recruit these guys hard when they are just getting out of pee wee hockey. Oshie was going to be a Sioux, b/c he commited to Blaise 2 years before coming.

Just look at all the guys who have come for only 2 years and leave since Hakstol has been coach. They are certainly an undisciplined team, and the word from the locker room as that they have no respect for this guy as he is a "players" coach.

Yes...we went to the finals 2 of the last 3 years, but on talent that had nothing to do with coaching. It's becoming pretty obvious that Hakstol is just not the man everyone thought he was going to be. Not to throw salt on the wound here, but look at Minnesota. They are a powerhouse year in and year out. He gets top pick players, and KEEPS THEM THERE!!

Dont be blind guys! Motivation needs to start at the top and if he cant get a group of hightly tatlented players to come together, then changes need to be made at the end of this awful year, or we can look at holding the bottom of the WCHA for quite some time.

DUDE...it starts at the top. Since Hakstol has been coach, we've been out recruited and outplayed. Blaise was the guy who in reality, brought on Oshie, Lee ant Toews.....as he starts to recruit these guys hard when they are just getting out of pee wee hockey. Oshie was going to be a Sioux, b/c he commited to Blaise 2 years before coming.

Just look at all the guys who have come for only 2 years and leave since Hakstol has been coach. They are certainly an undisciplined team, and the word from the locker room as that they have no respect for this guy as he is a "players" coach.

Yes...we went to the finals 2 of the last 3 years, but on talent that had nothing to do with coaching. It's becoming pretty obvious that Hakstol is just not the man everyone thought he was going to be. Not to throw salt on the wound here, but look at Minnesota. They are a powerhouse year in and year out. He gets top pick players, and KEEPS THEM THERE!!

Dont be blind guys! Motivation needs to start at the top and if he cant get a group of hightly tatlented players to come together, then changes need to be made at the end of this awful year, or we can look at holding the bottom of the WCHA for quite some time.

Hakstol has a great group of kids committed for the next two years. This team will be OK. Oshie when healthy is one of the top forwards in the country as is Toews. Amazing how a coach can be good enough to develop two young teams and get them to the frozen four both years he coaches and all of a sudden he knows nothing. I would hate to go to war with some of the fans who have jumped ship. Not saying they are playing well but we are younger this year than the last two years. Finley is a huge kid who moves his feet pretty well and is getting better. If he was already as good as some expect him to be he would be in the NHL. We have some rubes who want to cut him. There aren't many college teams in the country who wouldn't love to have him on their team and bring him along.

Give Oshie time to heal and the defensemen time to mature and these guys will be OK. For a self proclaimed bunch of "best fans in college hockey" we aren't sticking with our team and coaches in tough times. I am not blind I can see they aren't playing well but you fans who abandon these kids when things are tough are not the fans who the players talk about when they talk about the great fans at UND. The fans haven't done their job either. I have been going to UND games for 36 years and our fans are less creative and quieter than I have seen in many years. As fans get to the games and cheer and make the atmosphere as good as you can. That is what the fans can do. Do that first and if the team doesn't respond then come back and complain. UND fans lately need the team to do something first and then respond to the team. If UND fans want to be a factor they need to step it up a bit too.

Not to throw salt on the wound here, but look at Minnesota. They are a powerhouse year in and year out. He gets top pick players, and KEEPS THEM THERE!!

You mean guys like Irmen, Potulny and Kessel to name just a few? Every top program that recruits blue-chip talent is losing players early.

Hakstol has a great group of kids committed for the next two years. This team will be OK. Oshie when healthy is one of the top forwards in the country as is Toews. Amazing how a coach can be good enough to develop two young teams and get them to the frozen four both years he coaches and all of a sudden he knows nothing. I would hate to go to war with some of the fans who have jumped ship. Not saying they are playing well but we are younger this year than the last two years. Finley is a huge kid who moves his feet pretty well and is getting better. If he was already as good as some expect him to be he would be in the NHL. We have some rubes who want to cut him. There aren't many college teams in the country who wouldn't love to have him on their team and bring him along.

Give Oshie time to heal and the defensemen time to mature and these guys will be OK. For a self proclaimed bunch of "best fans in college hockey" we aren't sticking with our team and coaches in tough times. I am not blind I can see they aren't playing well but you fans who abandon these kids when things are tough are not the fans who the players talk about when they talk about the great fans at UND. The fans haven't done their job either. I have been going to UND games for 36 years and our fans are less creative and quieter than I have seen in many years. As fans get to the games and cheer and make the atmosphere as good as you can. That is what the fans can do. Do that first and if the team doesn't respond then come back and complain. UND fans lately need the team to do something first and then respond to the team. If UND fans want to be a factor they need to step it up a bit too.

I agree completely. I have been going to games almost as long as you have and you are exactly right.

It looks like this is as good as this bunch is going to get. I wonder how many years we'll have to put up with this kind of play. This is a painful group to watch. I agree that it starts at the top.

Good post.

I have never really questioned too many decisions Hak has made in his time as head coach, but I completely disagreed with the early pulling of Grieco. Yeah the first goal was a big softy, but the second one I thought he was in position to stop the shooter and like always there is no one back checking to get the trailer.

Phil and Grieco have both looked shaky at times and great at times. It is hard to ask your goaltenders to be consistent when the defense is just as inconsistent if not worse. Lot of issues to resolve before this team can even think about moving up in the WCHA. I am not saying we need to mail it in (we have seen the past two years where bad starts have gotten us), but realizing this could get ugly fast in not out of the question. With our horrible conference record we cannot afford to lose any games in the Dartmouth tournament. Right now we need wins and that looks like the best place to get them.

I have never really questioned too many decisions Hak has made in his time as head coach, but I completely disagreed with the early pulling of Grieco. Yeah the first goal was a big softy, but the second one I thought he was in position to stop the shooter and like always there is no one back checking to get the trailer.

Phil and Grieco have both looked shaky at times and great at times. It is hard to ask your goaltenders to be consistent when the defense is just as inconsistent if not worse. Lot of issues to resolve before this team can even think about moving up in the WCHA. I am not saying we need to mail it in (we have seen the past two years where bad starts have gotten us), but realizing this could get ugly fast in not out of the question. With our horrible conference record we cannot afford to lose any games in the Dartmouth tournament. Right now we need wins and that looks like the best place to get them.

FIRST off, iramurphy made a great point.

SECONDLY, I have a conspiracy proposition to post to you.

Grieco is young, and he also watched what happened to Tormey. Now, I understand the two situations were entirely different, but it is easier for us to distinguish that than he is when he is staring down a player crashing the net. MTU crashed the net all weekend long and I wonder if Grieco might have flinched for a split second (double checked the stick blade was down) before putting his glove hand in the path of the MTU player's skates? I thought of this because there's no way I could stare down a chargine player from the other team without getting a bit scared, especially while being on my hands and knees with a thin piece of wood or composite standing between me and a severred tendon.

FINALLY!!!

Someone realizes that all the Sioux Hockey team problems are the fans' fault.

(sarcasm)

That is exactly what I was trying to say. What we say on this thread is reviewed Sunday after church by the coaches, communicated to the team when they watch film and the adjustments are then made. We really need to step up the criticism. It obviously makes someone feel better. Fans don't skate, shoot or play defense, but they can improve the atmosphere and the envoronment in which the game is played.

The guys we have are the guys who will be here the rest of the year and have to improve their play and the coaches we have are going to be here. We will not continue to be one of the best teams in college hockey if we were to dump a very successful coach because a team this young is struggling.

As a former coach and college athlete, I can tell you the fans that abandon you when times get tough are not the ones the players and coaches want anything to do with. Any rube can jump on the band wagon when we win. There are valid criticisms of the teams play on these threads but some of it is way out of line. There is no one kid who is responsible for giving up a goal. There is no one element that explains the teams poor play. I will take my chances with these kids and these coaches.

There are valid criticisms of the teams play on these threads but some of it is way out of line. There is no one kid who is responsible for giving up a goal. There is no one element that explains the teams poor play. I will take my chances with these kids and these coaches.

I wish there was a thumbs up icon on this forum, because this post would deserve one. Right on.

You are absolutey correct.

FIRST off, iramurphy made a great point.

SECONDLY, I have a conspiracy proposition to post to you.

Grieco is young, and he also watched what happened to Tormey. Now, I understand the two situations were entirely different, but it is easier for us to distinguish that than he is when he is staring down a player crashing the net. MTU crashed the net all weekend long and I wonder if Grieco might have flinched for a split second (double checked the stick blade was down) before putting his glove hand in the path of the MTU player's skates? I thought of this because there's no way I could stare down a chargine player from the other team without getting a bit scared, especially while being on my hands and knees with a thin piece of wood or composite standing between me and a severred tendon.

I can understand what you are saying and maybe that is what happened, but if he is not able to make an effort at the save because of your desription then we have more problems than I thought.

I can also make a conspiracy that Phil has been guessing a lot this year on shots. I can picture a number of instances where he has gone down into the butterfly and then the shot glances off of him high or his stick high and gone in. After these goals he then proceeds to make a gesture of frustration in the form of I knew I should have not dropped yet. This causes me to think that he his not reading the puck well and trying to make his odds work for him. Just something to think about. I think Phil's biggest problem was changing numbers and face masks. The all black mask was awesome, bring it back with #34 Phil for the sake of the team.

Regardless, whether Grieco is ready or not the team needs to work him in, because Phil has not shown the ability to be a one man show type of player. Previous two years he has played very well with shared time, just didn't receive a lot of puck support from the offense. Some goalies cannot handle the entire load.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. What we say on this thread is reviewed Sunday after church by the coaches, communicated to the team when they watch film and the adjustments are then made. We really need to step up the criticism. It obviously makes someone feel better. Fans don't skate, shoot or play defense, but they can improve the atmosphere and the envoronment in which the game is played.

The guys we have are the guys who will be here the rest of the year and have to improve their play and the coaches we have are going to be here. We will not continue to be one of the best teams in college hockey if we were to dump a very successful coach because a team this young is struggling.

As a former coach and college athlete, I can tell you the fans that abandon you when times get tough are not the ones the players and coaches want anything to do with. Any rube can jump on the band wagon when we win. There are valid criticisms of the teams play on these threads but some of it is way out of line. There is no one kid who is responsible for giving up a goal. There is no one element that explains the teams poor play. I will take my chances with these kids and these coaches.

Ira-

I'm trying to cheer as hard as I can, but everyone says the players can't hear you (especially through the TV screen or the radio speakers). I'm trying to do my part, though!

But anyways, good points.

I can understand what you are saying and maybe that is what happened, but if he is not able to make an effort at the save because of your desription then we have more problems than I thought.

I can also make a conspiracy that Phil has been guessing a lot this year on shots. I can picture a number of instances where he has gone down into the butterfly and then the shot glances off of him high or his stick high and gone in. After these goals he then proceeds to make a gesture of frustration in the form of I knew I should have not dropped yet. This causes me to think that he his not reading the puck well and trying to make his odds work for him. Just something to think about. I think Phil's biggest problem was changing numbers and face masks. The all black mask was awesome, bring it back with #34 Phil for the sake of the team.

Regardless, whether Grieco is ready or not the team needs to work him in, because Phil has not shown the ability to be a one man show type of player. Previous two years he has played very well with shared time, just didn't receive a lot of puck support from the offense. Some goalies cannot handle the entire load.

Actually, one thing I've noticed is that there are a disproportionate amount of goals (against either goaltender) that are being deflected in rather than just outright beating them. Lammy's only goal allowed tonight was one of those.

MTU's 2nd and 3rd goals were impossible saves.

Ira-

I'm trying to cheer as hard as I can, but everyone says the players can't hear you (especially through the TV screen or the radio speakers). I'm trying to do my part, though!

But anyways, good points.

Red,

You are right but if you turn the bass up on your right speaker and the down on your left speaker, I am pretty sure the refs hear us so I usually will yell at them. I have no idea how to make it work if you have surround sound. It doesn't work on TV.

Ira

I do think it was nice of you to apologize, but if you had thought out your posts better, you probably would not have insulted ANY poster in the first place. I do not care if it is PCM or whomever. If you hadn't insulted anyone and THETRIOUXPER or Goon (which I'm not sure I see where he insulted you first) had ripped into you without provocation, it would be a different story.

Sure, you do have the cohones to apologize for your insults and that's comendable, but you have been around longer than someone who can get away with apologizing for it after being called on it a while after it happened.

As for THETRIOUXPER, he already claims to be an asshole. I've never actually seen anyone before him actually make that claim about himself consciously. He insults nearly everyone who he sees as wrong. Hell, he's insulted me a few times, IIRC. I don't take it personally. I will give you a hint, though. He does seem to take it personally when posters come onto the board and start pointing fingers at certain players (past or present) and state they were the reasons that the team wasn't performing as you'd expect it or stating outlandish and ridiculous statements such as the coaching staff virtually helping Smaby pack his bags. It says a lot that a poster is willing to throw a guy under the bus after 6 games, even though he's only lost 2 of them. TRIOUXPER called you out on that and, frankly, I agree with him on that count.

As for Goon, I've never seen him throw the first stone. Ever. Sure, he's as hot blooded as any of us and he takes things seriously (sometimes too much so). But I guess I'll defend him because I know he's never taken the first step towards verbal insult. Someone always has to be the first to do so for him to jump on it. And I'm also pretty sure Goon has stated I was wrong just as vehemently in the past.

Look, you chose a path that very few people choose to go with and you've portrayed that path in such a manner that is rather aggravating and bullheaded. When people try to rationalize with you your responses can be paraphrased to one of two things: 1. Yeah, but he still sucks and is costing us the games or 2. He IS on my low respect list.

I'm not a big fan for the modification they've made to your handle, which is why I don't use it. But I can't really defend you for however long you continue to disrespect players on the team you root for. Criticise is one thing. Disrespect is another entirely (and I don't care if you relabel it "low respect" it is still the same thing).

Blah, blah, blah... "under the bus."