SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux problems

SIOUXELEVENS

I hope this team can just get back to the basics of sound hockey fundamentals beginning with shooting the puck on net instead of trying to set-up the perfect play. It seemed in the last few minutes of the game on Saturday, that they had the opportunity to shoot and they choose to try and set up a perfect play. GOOD THING WILL HAPPEN IF YOU PUT THE PUCK ON THE NET. It may not be pretty, but a garbage goal counts the same as a perfectly set-up play.

Somehow, I don't see Hakstol going into the locker room and "doing a Vince Lombardi"; "Gentlemen, this is a [puck]." I also agree that waiting for breaks is not going to win games most of the time. These guys should be making their own breaks and taking advantage of them rather than waiting for somebody else, probably on the other side, to screw up. :silly:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walsh Hall:

Mason and Canady did nothing in their careers at UND until the second half of their senior years when they were integral parts of a team that ran to the national championship game. That coincides with Hak's first year as the head coach. Go ahead and ignore the fact that Blais got almost nothing out of them for 3.

Jordan Parise did pretty well under Hak too, if I remember. Until he emerged do you remember how stable our goalie situation was since Karl left?

Canady and Mason were not top line guys. They were role players that played hard, but I wouldn't consider them overly skilled players at the college leave.

The goal tending this is difficult to gauge. I didn't agree with the goalie change, but if the SIoux have a strong third period it may have given Lammy confidence as the #1 guy for the stretch run. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I can't see Walski getting a shot strictly because of the psychological effect that would have on the other two and the team. It would be having the coach confirm to the other two tenders that the staff has no confidence in them. Personally I hope that Greco gets a shot to be the #1 and get some good experience for the future.

I think our talent level, and the talent level of the freshmen are not to the level of recent Sioux teams, and are very middle of the pack in the WCHA. I guess we are just spoiled.

Canady and Mason were not top line guys. They were role players that played hard, but I wouldn't consider them overly skilled players at the college leave.

The goal tending this is difficult to gauge. I didn't agree with the goalie change, but if the SIoux have a strong third period it may have given Lammy confidence as the #1 guy for the stretch run. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I can't see Walski getting a shot strictly because of the psychological effect that would have on the other two and the team. It would be having the coach confirm to the other two tenders that the staff has no confidence in them. Personally I hope that Greco gets a shot to be the #1 and get some good experience for the future.

I think our talent level, and the talent level of the freshmen are not to the level of recent Sioux teams, and are very middle of the pack in the WCHA. I guess we are just spoiled.

Massen was supposed to be a top line guy.

I think they should start splitting the goalie duties to give Grieco some playing time. Not sure why they took him out of Saturdays game. He looked fine to me.

I know this team & Haksto,l likes speed (Speed Kills) & if they were scoring thats Great ! But maybe the speed thing is actually not working (at times Killing us)?

Their shots & passes are not clicking - Many great opportunities have been missed because they seem in too big of a hurry & can't finish ? ? ? & as many say, those that sit around me, GO TO THE NET ! with the shots ASAP - seems we always go to the corner or there is always a hesitation before a shot by the D men (How many of our shots have been into a opposing player & a opportunity lost ? (LOTS)

Opposing teams always shoot every chance they get & slop in alot of their goals

I know the cycling thing in the corners, does eventually work - But it can sure drive us (the Spectators/ Fans NUTS) & so far this yr it is not overly working :silly:

• 2 weeks later...

According to Brads blog the Sioux have scoring avg. not seen since Rube Bjorkman reign not good.If the Sioux start denting the twine a little more all of our defense mistakes won't be quite as glaring as there our now.The transition game is almost non-existent and almost no offensive pressure,except for cycling along the walls until the puck gets turned over and goes the other way. Time to try something different on the offensive side and fore-check. :ohmy:

We need more production from lines 2-4. They just are not chipping in enough goals to take any pressure off the top line. The goaltending also must get a lot better if this team has any post season aspirations. The defenseman have been average at best. Lee has got to be the most finesse defenseman I have ever seen where a Sioux uniform. He is nowhere near ready to play in the NHL at this point in my opinion. To sum it up, there is room for a lot of improvement in all areas of the game and it needs to start this weekend before it is too late.