SiouxSports.com Forum

Greatest time at the new REA

luapsided

Ok, I can't remember the date exactly, but my favorite game was at home vs. BC. We were down 4-2 going into the 3rd period and we scored 4 unanswered goals to win 6-4.

It was loud, we were proud and Kaltaiinen (BC Goaltender) probably felt like crying. :silly:

Other than that, being in a seat where I could hold up signs that could be read by the players and viewed easily by the cameras (so I was frequently on the jumbotron) was cool too.

That would be my favorite evening. To watch the Sioux come back against a top Hockey East program. Also because I caught a game puck that night!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try not to put anything negative about a team on there own board. This does not include your team, only many of your fans. You need to get over the fact that YOUR biggest rival (it doesn't go both ways, Wisconsin is ours) lost to HC last year. Its one thing to enjoy the moment, but you people go on and on and on and on about it. Yes I enjoyed Ferris State beating ND a few years ago at Mariucci, but after I left the arena it was over. I wast't calling it my greatest moment at Mariucci 7 months latter. If you don't have a ND moment that is better to talk about then what does not say much about your program. The only thing I can come up with is ND beats the Gophers so seldom at the REA, that you have to take joy in someone else beating them. See some of you at Mariucci in January, it should be a fun time.

I try not to put anything negative about a team on there own board. This does not include your team, only many of your fans. You need to get over the fact that YOUR biggest rival (it doesn't go both ways, Wisconsin is ours) lost to HC last year. Its one thing to enjoy the moment, but you people go on and on and on and on about it. Yes I enjoyed Ferris State beating ND a few years ago at Mariucci, but after I left the arena it was over. I wast't calling it my greatest moment at Mariucci 7 months latter. If you don't have a ND moment that is better to talk about then what does not say much about your program. The only thing I can come up with is ND beats the Gophers some seldom at the REA, that you have to take joy in someone else beating them. See some of you at Mariucci in January, it should be a fun time.

I personally think there are better moments at the new Ralph then the Holy Cross-UofM game, but to compare it to Ferris State beating UND at Mariucci is apples to oranges to me. UND wasn't the top seed in the region and obviously weren't playing a massive underdog like Holy Cross. Ferris State did have 30-something wins that year in the CCHA, so they obviously could play. They only true comparison between UND of 2002-2003 and UofM last year is that they were both ending the season on a slide of sorts.

But I understand your point. Eventually people do need to move on from this game and understand things like the Holy Cross-UofM game will happen again.

I try not to put anything negative about a team on there own board. This does not include your team, only many of your fans. You need to get over the fact that YOUR biggest rival (it doesn't go both ways, Wisconsin is ours) lost to HC last year. Its one thing to enjoy the moment, but you people go on and on and on and on about it. Yes I enjoyed Ferris State beating ND a few years ago at Mariucci, but after I left the arena it was over. I wast't calling it my greatest moment at Mariucci 7 months latter. If you don't have a ND moment that is better to talk about then what does not say much about your program. The only thing I can come up with is ND beats the Gophers some seldom at the REA, that you have to take joy in someone else beating them. See some of you at Mariucci in January, it should be a fun time.

it was purely the ARROGANCE of every U of M fan/broadcaster before that game that made Holy Cross' victory such fun! Who was it? Wooger or that fat block-headed guy that said..."every team belongs in this (NCAA) tournament EXCEPT Holy Cross..." - and the score predictions were VERY disrespectful - even for a perceived "crappy" opponent.

If you have class - you don't predict a double digit win in hockey - ANYTHING can happen! The best part of the Goofs falling face-first in that game was the FACT the "worst" team in the NCAA tournament beat you! It wasn't so much a celebration of your FAILURE* as the victory of an UNDERDOG that no-one gave a chance to win!*

(* - Plus the fact it was the Goofs that lost....it just added FUEL to the FIRE! :silly:??? )

THAT WAS definately one of the greatest moments in Ralph History!

I try not to put anything negative about a team on there own board. This does not include your team, only many of your fans. You need to get over the fact that YOUR biggest rival (it doesn't go both ways, Wisconsin is ours) lost to HC last year. Its one thing to enjoy the moment, but you people go on and on and on and on about it. Yes I enjoyed Ferris State beating ND a few years ago at Mariucci, but after I left the arena it was over. I wast't calling it my greatest moment at Mariucci 7 months latter. If you don't have a ND moment that is better to talk about then what does not say much about your program. The only thing I can come up with is ND beats the Gophers so seldom at the REA, that you have to take joy in someone else beating them. See some of you at Mariucci in January, it should be a fun time.

I don't know. When the top team (if not the top team, at least one of the top 2 teams) in the country gets outed by a team that belongs in a conference many don't believe should even qualify to be in the NCAAs, holds the 16 out of 16 designation, and goes out there expecting to be blown out of the water only to win... Seems pretty darn significant to me.

Sure, there are some that enjoy rubbing it in Gopher fans' faces, but many were there to witness David slay Goliath! Don't you think that would classify as a great time at the REA? The thread title is the "Greatest time at the REA" Not the "Greatest time a Sioux fan has had at the REA." Note some WJC references to quaify that.

Read the thread title. It is the geatest time in the new REA, not Sioux hockey in the REA or Sioux hockey history. In that vein, it is the night of the 2006 west regional. But it is not the greatest time in Sioux hockey history, not even close. While I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Gophers lose, I don't give them enough credit (in losing) to even make my top ten in Sioux hockey history.

It was only a matter of time a gopher fan would come grumbling about the words "Holy Cross" being mentioned.

As for my opinion the only one I can choose is the 2006 West Regional since it was really the only biggest thing I went to. The only disappointment was that I was in the damn restrooms when HC scored the OT goal :silly:. I should've listened to my dad when he said to hold it cause I might miss something ???.

You are one who makes it even a better memory at the west regional; one who would leave the arena with tail between legs. You may want to check the record of the Sioux vs Gophs at the new REA, since so many of you carry around a dream that isn't true.

West Regional, bar none, from the HC OT goal all through the Sioux/Mich game, it was wild in there.

Sprig,

Well I did check the records and I find the Gopher being 6 wins 3 losses at REA. To me that is a GREAT road winning percentage in the WCHA.

2001-2002 season 3-0

2002-2003 season did not play at REA

2003-2004 season 0-2

2004-2005 season 1-1

2005-2006 season 2-0.

Enough said, I will let this thread drop. With so many underclassman signing with the NHL, there will be more and more #1 seeds not making it to the FF. This is good for college hockey, but bad for programs like ND and Minnesota. We lost 4 underclassman last year and ND lost somewhere around 5. It will be hard to continue to make a run at the FF with very few Srs. on the roster.

let me remind you.....

GOPHERS were ranked 1ST in region

CRUSADERS were ranked 4TH in region

CRUSADERS BEAT GOPHERS = BIGGEST UPSET IN COLLEGE HOCKEY HISTORY

Sprig,

Well I did check the records and I find the Gopher being 6 wins 3 losses at REA. To me that is a GREAT road winning percentage in the WCHA.

2001-2002 season 3-0

2002-2003 season did not play at REA

2003-2004 season 0-2

2004-2005 season 1-1

2005-2006 season 2-0.

Enough said, I will let this thread drop. With so many underclassman signing with the NHL, there will be more and more #1 seeds not making it to the FF. This is good for college hockey, but bad for programs like ND and Minnesota. We lost 4 underclassman last year and ND lost somewhere around 5. It will be hard to continue to make a run at the FF with very few Srs. on the roster.

Seem's to me the Sioux made a FF run last year with only two senior's on the roster, and 13 Freshman. Ten of those freshman saw regular playing time. Looks like another brown and yellow sympathizer's lame excuse to me. Last year wouldn't have mattered any way, poltuny and irmen would still have been crying outside the locker room, just one day later. They would have run headlong into a buzz-saw turning at full speed.

Ok, I can't remember the date exactly, but my favorite game was at home vs. BC. We were down 4-2 going into the 3rd period and we scored 4 unanswered goals to win 6-4.

It was loud, we were proud and Kaltaiinen (BC Goaltender) probably felt like crying. :D

Other than that, being in a seat where I could hold up signs that could be read by the players and viewed easily by the cameras (so I was frequently on the jumbotron) was cool too.

I was at that game, too, and agree it was my favorite at the Ralph. Very electric! I don't remember the exact date (10/18 or 10/19/03?), although remember vividly that it was the night after the Red Sox lost to the Yankees in Game 7 of the ALCS that season. I am a Red Sox fan, so beating B.C. in such dramatic fashion made the sting of Game 7 immediately evaporate...

DLW4GOPHERS,

Your post is one of the best examples I have ever seen of the arrogance and cockiness that is Minnesota Golden Rodent Hockey. In a nutshell, you have incapsulated why we will never stop going on and on about an Atlantic Hockey program beating the mighty and unstoppable "Golden Ones". Now, to address your "points":

1) You need to get over the fact that YOUR biggest rival (it doesn't go both ways, Wisconsin is ours) lost to HC last year. BullCRAP it "doesn't go both ways". :D If UND is "just another team" to the Gophers, why is it next to impossible to get tickets for a Sioux-Gopher weekend in Mariucci? I pretty much have given up and resigned myself to watching FSN North (with the sound muted, of course). How come Rodent fans spend more time bashing UND on message boards like this and USCHO than any other school? How come I get smart remarks and cold stares at the Final Five every year from Maroon and Gold garbage wearing fans? I think the name and logo on the front of the jersey has something to do with it. And the jersey I wear doesn't have "Wisconsin" written across it. ;)

2) If you don't have a ND moment that is better to talk about then what does not say much about your program. Our program has more NCAA and WCHA championships than yours. Nuff said.

3) The only thing I can come up with is ND beats the Gophers so seldom at the REA, that you have to take joy in someone else beating them. In 2001-02, you took advantage of a young, struggling team with bad goaltending and swept. In 2005-06, you took advantage of a young team that didn't have it's legs underneath it yet and also swept. But when we have our stuff together (2003-04), the Rodents still struggle at the new REA, but not quite as much as the old REA. One of the best things to happen to the Rodents was the old REA closing.

4) See some of you at Mariucci in January, it should be a fun time. The way my team looks right now, I don't think I will be having much fun. But that could change. These games are always dog fights, no matter what the records of the two teams are.

I dont' really agree with that statement. Its pretty big every time the Sioux come to the Mecca.

I dont' really agree with that statement. Its pretty big every time the Sioux come to the Mecca.

I would agree. I know that 'Sconnie is our natural rival in pretty much every sport, but when it comes to hockey I would say NoDak is the biggest rival for the Gophers....I'm sure many other Gopher fans would dissagree with me though.

I would agree. I know that 'Sconnie is our natural rival in pretty much every sport, but when it comes to hockey I would say NoDak is the biggest rival for the Gophers....I'm sure many other Gopher fans would dissagree with me though.

I think it is all of the other sports that makes UW the archrival for Minnesota. If UND were the size of UW and was in DI (or DIA) in all sports, I'm sure we'd probably be just as much if not more of an archrival to UMN than UW.

I don't really care about the archrival thing. I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. We are a rival of UMN and a justified rival at that. In some ways, though, I think Gopher fans give us more respect than they give Badger fans.

Has to be the BC game back about 4 yrs ago. Third weekend of October. Went golfing in the afternoon and hockey game that night. Crowd went wild when Bochenski tied it up. BTW, the only reason Siouxdonyms got a game puck because he beat up an 8 yr old kid for it. :D

I'd have to agree. I wasn't sure if it was the BC game or the CC game but now I have figured it out. :lol: Yeah I always have an image in my head of the way the crowd reacted to that goal. I had tackled a buddy of mine and we both feel into the seats, then looking around I think many people had fallen down haha. The place went nutz!

Has to be the BC game back about 4 yrs ago. Third weekend of October. Went golfing in the afternoon and hockey game that night. Crowd went wild when Bochenski tied it up. BTW, the only reason Siouxdonyms got a game puck because he beat up an 8 yr old kid for it. :D

That kid was bent over playing around with his popcorn or something, and he's lucky he was because it would've taken him out! However, if I recall, SoDak Sioux Fan was the one yelling, "Get it!!!!"

He used to have his sister do that stuff for him.

DLW4GOPHERS,

Your post is one of the best examples I have ever seen of the arrogance and cockiness that is Minnesota Golden Rodent Hockey. In a nutshell, you have incapsulated why we will never stop going on and on about an Atlantic Hockey program beating the mighty and unstoppable "Golden Ones". Now, to address your "points":

1) You need to get over the fact that YOUR biggest rival (it doesn't go both ways, Wisconsin is ours) lost to HC last year. BullCRAP it "doesn't go both ways". :silly: If UND is "just another team" to the Gophers, why is it next to impossible to get tickets for a Sioux-Gopher weekend in Mariucci? I pretty much have given up and resigned myself to watching FSN North (with the sound muted, of course). How come Rodent fans spend more time bashing UND on message boards like this and USCHO than any other school? How come I get smart remarks and cold stares at the Final Five every year from Maroon and Gold garbage wearing fans? I think the name and logo on the front of the jersey has something to do with it. And the jersey I wear doesn't have "Wisconsin" written across it. :ohmy:

2) If you don't have a ND moment that is better to talk about then what does not say much about your program. Our program has more NCAA and WCHA championships than yours. Nuff said.

3) The only thing I can come up with is ND beats the Gophers so seldom at the REA, that you have to take joy in someone else beating them. In 2001-02, you took advantage of a young, struggling team with bad goaltending and swept. In 2005-06, you took advantage of a young team that didn't have it's legs underneath it yet and also swept. But when we have our stuff together (2003-04), the Rodents still struggle at the new REA, but not quite as much as the old REA. One of the best things to happen to the Rodents was the old REA closing.

4) See some of you at Mariucci in January, it should be a fun time. The way my team looks right now, I don't think I will be having much fun. But that could change. These games are always dog fights, no matter what the records of the two teams are.

3) One of the best things to happen to the Rodents was the old REA closing.

I love point 2. The numbers speak for themself. Point 3 though true the Old REA wasn't good to the Goofs, I do believe the HC game was a defining moment in their history. The Gophers over looked a AHA team and they were bounced out of the NCAA's nuf said, nothing was more pleasing than watching a bunch of cocky Goofer fans crawl out of the arena in shame. Ha.