SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

They wont

It could be very possibe that South has some issues so serious that they cannot be fixed before EDC and state tourney. I will not count them out yet, but after that clinic Red River put on tonight, I find it highly unlikely South will repeat as state champions. I tip my hat to the Riders...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, wow, wow, is all I have to say after seeing the show that the Riders put on tonight. Buried their chances on goals, played solid defense, and received great goalie play. This team will be very tough to beat, not just because they're playing so well, but because they have a simple goals in mind - win a state championship, and if this takes away from any individual accolates, then so be it. South, on the other hand, plays like a bunch of thugs. Numerous times I saw players (Wurden and Powers in particular) try to scrum with Riders after the whistle. Not exactly the thing you'd expect from the team "leaders." I was thoroughly unimpressed with South as a whole, especially Deichert. He gave up weak goals and even more bad rebounds. I thought that he had Mr. Hockey all but locked up coming into this year, but after seeing him play tonight I would be surprised if he won. South plays with no heart, and Red River plays like its the last game of the season. Plain and simple.

that was the saves not the shots. Deichert played terrible

Any predictions on the score next time South and Red River meet, if they do? I don't believe it will be another 8-0 showing, but it's hard to put South within 3 goals the way they are playing now. Does anyone think coaching might play a role in the way these teams are performing? Red River seems to be getting better and better and South keeps getting worse and worse. Coach Malm must be doing something very very right.

Great post.... ;)

If it was anyone else I would probably care, but you've proven yourself over and over.... :D

hey wilbur, i have a trivia question for you: How do you know when it is a Thursday at the state hockey tournament???

answer: all four teams from the west are playing for the consolation championship

hey wilbur, i have a trivia question for you: How do you know when it is a Thursday at the state hockey tournament???

answer: all four teams from the west are playing for the consolation championship

Hey junior24,

Thursday is the 1st round. Consolation championship comes on Saturday. :D

Proved yourself...again.

Hey junior24,

Thursday is the 1st round. Consolation championship comes on Saturday. :D

Proved yourself...again.

read and think.....they all lose therefore they are all playing to win the consolation championship. Are you not playing for the state title in the first game of state??? You are playing for one goal all year, for the easterners that is first place, and for the western teams its 5th place.

read and think.....they all lose therefore they are all playing to win the consolation championship. Are you not playing for the state title in the first game of state??? You are playing for one goal all year, for the easterners that is first place, and for the western teams its 5th place.

Yep, that post made you look like the true dope you are!

You could have saved it with saying Friday, but you tried to cover your mistake with something that makes no sense.

My answer: I know its the Thursday of the state tournament when others go out of their way to make comments against the quality of hockey in the west region, and the quality of players in the west region. It reminds me a lot of gopher fans. Pretty arrogant...

PS: And honestly, if a couple of western teams did manage to win their first round game, what difference would it make? All the bashers would go with, "ohhh, one year, this doesn't mean anything", or come up with some stat about the west's all time record in the first round. Its funny to think this argument started with me complimenting Red River... :huh:

Yep, that post made you look like the true dope you are!

You could have saved it with saying Friday, but you tried to cover your mistake with something that makes no sense.

My answer: I know its the Thursday of the state tournament when others go out of their way to make comments against the quality of hockey in the west region, and the quality of players in the west region. It reminds me a lot of gopher fans. Pretty arrogant...

PS: And honestly, if a couple of western teams did manage to win their first round game, what difference would it make? All the bashers would go with, "ohhh, one year, this doesn't mean anything", or come up with some stat about the west's all time record in the first round. Its funny to think this argument started with me complimenting Red River... :huh:

Rumor has it that this years EDC tournament is going to be played for the State Championship and they are going to help the West teams out by keeping them at home so they are able to save money on gas.

Rumor has it that this years EDC tournament is going to be played for the State Championship and they are going to help the West teams out by keeping them at home so they are able to save money on gas.

Exactly the class I expect from a Grand Forks citizen. ???

Wow!! What happened to South? Red River killed them. There must be something wrong with South, chemistry issues, big heads, or something. But even their goalie played bad. I can understand a fluke game but letting in 8 goals is hardly a fluke. And I am sure it was not all is fault; apparently the whole team played horrible. Wow...

I now have Grafton in front of South in my rankings.

Wow!! What happened to South? Red River killed them. There must be something wrong with South, chemistry issues, big heads, or something. But even their goalie played bad. I can understand a fluke game but letting in 8 goals is hardly a fluke. And I am sure it was not all is fault; apparently the whole team played horrible. Wow...

I now have Grafton in front of South in my rankings.

Don't forget that the same night that Red River beat South 8-0, Grafton was up 4-3 over Wapheton going in the third period and ended up winning 6-3. And please don't tell me that they didn't play their better players because Tanner Hills scored the sixth goal. Right now Red River owns spots 1-4 in the standing in the East Region. No one else comes close.

Don't forget that the same night that Red River beat South 8-0, Grafton was up 4-3 over Wapheton going in the third period and ended up winning 6-3. And please don't tell me that they didn't play their better players because Tanner Hills scored the sixth goal. Right now Red River owns spots 1-4 in the standing in the East Region. No one else comes close.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure I like your logic. "Well we beat Central by 5 goals and West Fargo lost to Central by 2 goals, so next time we play West Fargo we should win by 7 goals!"

Clearly Red River is playing the best hockey in the state. If South plays their best hockey I believe they are no worse than Red River. They played Red River to a 3-2 game earlier in the year. Was that because Red River played poorly? I don't think so. If South can pull everything together, we will see an entirely different team come EDC tourney time. Until that day however, Red River is the best team in the state.

From what I heard the last 2 games for the Spoilers haven't been really good because the top scores are having a tough time passing to each other. They want to be the one with the most goals. Like a said that is from what I heard but makes since because it is the Spoilers and that happens every year there.

In Grafton's defense they did outshoot Wahpeton very heavily in that game and Mike Sand for the first time all year played like a rookie to varsity hockey. Wahpeton scored 3 times on 12 shots and the Wahp goalie made 40+ saves. Grafton also may have came in overconfident since they are playing a team who is 0 for the Millenium in conference play. South on the other hand was playing for a share of the conference lead and came out with an embarrassing effort based on opinions made by posters on this site who were at the game. We are in the Terrell Owens era where more and more people are putting themselves before the team, which is obviously playing a role in the demise of Fargo South this season. There are a handful of people in that program right now who have moved in to play for South High School or left South and came back which could have a detrimental effect on the people who played for the Flyers (South's feeder program) from termites all the way up to high school. Hopefully Wilson can get his troops in order, or else it will be sad to see this talented of a team struggle to make a splash come late February.

In Grafton's defense they did outshoot Wahpeton very heavily in that game and Mike Sand for the first time all year played like a rookie to varsity hockey. Wahpeton scored 3 times on 12 shots and the Wahp goalie made 40+ saves. Grafton also may have came in overconfident since they are playing a team who is 0 for the Millenium in conference play. South on the other hand was playing for a share of the conference lead and came out with an embarrassing effort based on opinions made by posters on this site who were at the game. We are in the Terrell Owens era where more and more people are putting themselves before the team, which is obviously playing a role in the demise of Fargo South this season. There are a handful of people in that program right now who have moved in to play for South High School or left South and came back which could have a detrimental effect on the people who played for the Flyers (South's feeder program) from termites all the way up to high school. Hopefully Wilson can get his troops in order, or else it will be sad to see this talented of a team struggle to make a splash come late February.

You make a very good point. Why are players transferring to Fargo South? Is it because there is more exposure in the Eastern part of the state? Are teams that are more successful scouted more often than the teams that are not as successful? Is it because playing with and against good players every day in practice will help improve your game? All of those reasons are individual reasons. Maybe I am wrong. I'm sure these players want to win a state championship, but for some reason I do not think the first thought in their mind when considering transferring is "I want to help Fargo South win a state championship, no matter what role on the team I play." Attitudes are contagious, and if the "it's all about me" attitude is being spread by a few players, it's not long until the entire team will be infected.

Who exactly is talented on Fargo South's team after Dannny Wurden? I mean seriously at the beginning of the year I thought South had the most talent like all of you, and I thought they had the best goaltender in the state but after watching them play 6 games they really arn't that good.

Who exactly is talented on Fargo South's team after Dannny Wurden? I mean seriously at the beginning of the year I thought South had the most talent like all of you, and I thought they had the best goaltender in the state but after watching them play 6 games they really arn't that good.

If you infact have watched six of their games that should be enough for you to realize they do have players on the team besides Wurden who have skill, they just dont know how to play as a team which in turn makes them look worse. Players such as Doeden, McDougall, Graalum and Powers all have a good amount of skill...more than the mojority of the players in the state.

If you infact have watched six of their games that should be enough for you to realize they do have players on the team besides Wurden who have skill, they just dont know how to play as a team which in turn makes them look worse. Players such as Doeden, McDougall, Graalum and Powers all have a good amount of skill...more than the mojority of the players in the state.

All you did was just list off their top scorers, the games I have watched (which were both RR games, the GFC game, Moorehead, WBL, and the Crookston game) none of those players at all impressed me.