SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which school has the strongest team coming back? I think Minot will be down in the west but it does not seem to matter at state, in the last 13 years or so, even if they do have a good team. Which team do people think will win it this next year? I would have to say Fargo North or Central but I could be way off base too.

Which school has the strongest team coming back? I think Minot will be down in the west but it does not seem to matter at state, in the last 13 years or so, even if they do have a good team. Which team do people think will win it this next year? I would have to say Fargo North or Central but I could be way off base too.

Well, I'd like to think that Central will be good this year, but with the open enrollments they have now and the better players in GF usually choosing to go to RR vs Central, makes it pretty hard............or doesn't that happen as much as I think?

Red River and Fargo South will lead the pack with Grafton right behind them. I don't think anyone else in the State will be close. Central lost a lot of seniors, but still has Alex Simonson and usually gets stronger as the year goes on. Devils Lake has a good team, and may challenge Grafton for 3rd in EDC, but I don't think that they can compete with RR or South. North does not have much and would be very fortunate to make the State tournament.

Yea, from what I can see Minot is going to be way down this year (depending on how the other teams in the West have changed). They lost a lot of seniors and I don't think that they have to much talent coming in. I do think that their goaltending should be pretty good though.

One thing is for sure, the East is a lot better than the West again.

Yea, thats pretty much a given. I just hope that at least one team out of the West will win their first game at state. Maybe Devil's Lake. I think they only lost four players to graduation and they were pretty good last year. I was at the came where they took Minot to OT and Minot was pretty lucky to pull off a win.

Red River and Fargo South will lead the pack with Grafton right behind them. I don't think anyone else in the State will be close. Central lost a lot of seniors, but still has Alex Simonson and usually gets stronger as the year goes on. Devils Lake has a good team, and may challenge Grafton for 3rd in EDC, but I don't think that they can compete with RR or South. North does not have much and would be very fortunate to make the State tournament.

I agree that Red River and South will again be the top two, but with recent setbacks and a lack of depth, or any quality defense, makes Grafton a distant third, if not fourth. I also think that Devils Lake will be very strong, creating some high competition for the third and fourth spots in state between Central, Devils Lake, and Grafton. The rest of the East would seem to be down a bit and not too competitive with the current top teams, but a dark horse can suprise anyone. I don't know too much about any departures, but those, too, could weaken any team greatly.

As for the west, I don't really know anything other than the Bismarck teams and Minot are typically the stronger west teams.

Yea, thats pretty much a given. I just hope that at least one team out of the West will win their first game at state. Maybe Devil's Lake. I think they only lost four players to graduation and they were pretty good last year. I was at the came where they took Minot to OT and Minot was pretty lucky to pull off a win.

Devils Lake isn't in the West anymore. They switched with Jamestown at the end of this last season. You're right about everything except that. Oh, and they will make noise in the East this year.

Devils Lake isn't in the West anymore. They switched with Jamestown at the end of this last season. You're right about everything except that. Oh, and they will make noise in the East this year.

Devils Lake switched with Jamestown! I had heard that Jamestown was going to be in the West but I did not know that a West team was going to be in the East. I had just figured that the population out east was getting high enough that Jamestown needed to be moved to even things out. Well, thank you for correcting me. By the way, why would Devils Lake and Jamestown switch?

One thing is for sure, the East is a lot better than the West again.

And of course Minot is not a hockey dynasty, as you mentioned last year. Do you have any other blatantly obvious statements you would like to make?

Dave Hakstol is a great hockey coach! Thats mine... ???

I definately have to agree with skateshattrick in saying that red river and fargo south will once again be in a league of there own with grafton finishing in third place in the east region. Fargo South will probably be deeper than red river at forward, but red river returns two of the best d-men in the state in ladeuceur and galbreath along with there second leading scorer from last year, eric meland. fargo south also returns one of the top goalies from last year in shawn deichert, so look for him to have another great year. Im going to go ahead and predict we will have a rematch of the 2006 state championship once again this year, however, red river is going to pull it out in 2007. should be another great year of high school hockey.

And of course Minot is not a hockey dynasty, as you mentioned last year. Do you have any other blatantly obvious statements you would like to make?

Dave Hakstol is a great hockey coach! Thats mine... ???

Dean Blais 2, Dave Hakstol 0

But short of bringing Dean back, I am happy with Hakstol.

Devils Lake piled up 9 of its 13 wins against Bottineau, Mandan, Dickinson, and Bismarck Century. They were 4-10-2 against the rest of the state. They will probabaly battle with North, Central, and West Fargo for spots 4 through 7 in the east. South, Red River, and Grafton will be at the top.

They tied Williston and the almighty Grafton. 3 one goal losses to Minot, 1-0 loss to North. They had a young team. A Sophomore starting goalie, who did damn well and will be even better this year. This year they'll have another asset - "experience". They only lost 4 players. A large percentage of their scoring came from their to-be Junior class.

You watch. They won't be HALF as bad as you're making them sound. I didn't say they're gunna take it to the East this year, I said they'll show up to play every game. Hardest workers in the State. I'll remember your comment during the season this year. We'll see who's right.

Just cause they played in the West don't mean they're gunna get throttled. It'll be a tough transition, but give them some damn credit. They are a good team. They used to be in the East and did good, and the next two years they'll do good as well.

They tied Williston and the almighty Grafton. 3 one goal losses to Minot, 1-0 loss to North. They had a young team. A Sophomore starting goalie, who did damn well and will be even better this year. This year they'll have another asset - "experience". They only lost 4 players. A large percentage of their scoring came from their to-be Junior class.

You watch. They won't be HALF as bad as you're making them sound. I didn't say they're gunna take it to the East this year, I said they'll show up to play every game. Hardest workers in the State. I'll remember your comment during the season this year. We'll see who's right.

Just cause they played in the West don't mean they're gunna get throttled. It'll be a tough transition, but give them some damn credit. They are a good team. They used to be in the East and did good, and the next two years they'll do good as well.

I never said Devils Lake was bad or that they would get throttled. My only point is that DL could finish 7th just as easily as they could finish 4th. Sorry If I offended you. I hope your team does well.

Ok, I am sorry too. I just get ticked off when it sounds like people who are in the East already or smart guys from the West try and bash the team. What you say is true, about finishing wherever. And yes, I'm biased, but if I could I'd put money on them finishing 4th at worst. Again, I'm sorry, I just have a short temper when it comes to burns on DL.

On to another topic, who does everyone expect to be the top 2 or 3 players to lead their team to success this season in the West and/or East?

I am not very familiar with players from the west, but im sure they will have some qaulity players that we will be talking about as the season gets going. As far as the east goes, here are my players to watch...

Fargo South- Shawn Deichert (could battle hillman for a mr. hockey run), Danny Wurden ( one of souths top defensemen last year), Ian Powers (should be interesting to see if he can still put up good numbers without weisgarber and larson on his line)

Red River- Jarret Galbreath (one of the top two defensemen in the state this year), Ryan Ladeuceur (other one of the two top defensemen in the state this year), Eric Meland ( very talented player, could possibly lead the state in scoring)

Grand Forks Central- Alex Simonson ( good skill, needs someone to get him the puck)...central could have a tough year, but they always turn it on come tournament time

Grafton- Zac Miller, Tanner hills (both skilled forwards that put up a lot of points), Luke Paulson

Fargo North- Tyler klein, Tanner Bombenger...besides these two, north will be in the hurt-bag

West Fargo- Tyer Swanson (very good defenseman, both defensively and offensively)...not very deep

*** As for players out west, I would say that Michael Hillman will have another outstanding year, and tyrell mcbain could be a player to watch out for. Nathan Stremick is also a good player....these are just the players i can think of off the top of my head, so dont rape me for leaving somebody from your team off the list.

I am not very familiar with players from the west, but im sure they will have some qaulity players that we will be talking about as the season gets going. As far as the east goes, here are my players to watch...

Fargo South- Shawn Deichert (could battle hillman for a mr. hockey run), Danny Wurden ( one of souths top defensemen last year), Ian Powers (should be interesting to see if he can still put up good numbers without weisgarber and larson on his line)

Red River- Jarret Galbreath (one of the top two defensemen in the state this year), Ryan Ladeuceur (other one of the two top defensemen in the state this year), Eric Meland ( very talented player, could possibly lead the state in scoring)

Grand Forks Central- Alex Simonson ( good skill, needs someone to get him the puck)...central could have a tough year, but they always turn it on come tournament time

Grafton- Zac Miller, Tanner hills (both skilled forwards that put up a lot of points), Luke Paulson

Fargo North- Tyler klein, Tanner Bombenger...besides these two, north will be in the hurt-bag

West Fargo- Tyer Swanson (very good defenseman, both defensively and offensively)...not very deep

*** As for players out west, I would say that Michael Hillman will have another outstanding year, and tyrell mcbain could be a player to watch out for. Nathan Stremick is also a good player....these are just the players i can think of off the top of my head, so dont rape me for leaving somebody from your team off the list.

Hillman is playing for the Bobcats. Grafton will be hurting as some of their players have ran into some legal trouble. There's also a good chance many of the players listed may not be here after the Elite League season.

Long time listener, first time caller...

Having grown up in SW North Dakota, I still have a fondness for the Williston and Dickinson area. I'm curious if these teams have improved since their inception in the early 1990's and what the long-term prospects for high school hockey in non-traditional North Dakota strongholds like the two cities mentioned along with Hazen-Beulah. Anyone have any insight?

I dont think anyone was planning on raping you.

I don't mean to start up an argument but I don't believe your telling the whole story on Devils Lake. I believe they will be a hard working team that will put themselves in games because of their work ethic. But you said the tied Grafton 2-2. You forgot to mention they also lost to Grafton 7-2. They also lost to Jamestown early in the season. Devils Lake a good team- yes. A team to be feared? Not yet.

Long time listener, first time caller...

Having grown up in SW North Dakota, I still have a fondness for the Williston and Dickinson area. I'm curious if these teams have improved since their inception in the early 1990's and what the long-term prospects for high school hockey in non-traditional North Dakota strongholds like the two cities mentioned along with Hazen-Beulah. Anyone have any insight?

Williston hockey has improved leaps and bounds since the early 90's. Back when I started playing traveling hockey we would romp Williston constantly, and most of the games ended up with running time. As I got older they started getting better and better, and the games got a whole lot closer. Nowadays when Williston beats Minot or Bismarck it really isn't considered an upset. Yeah they have a little ways to go to catch up to the Fargo South's/Red River's/Central/etc. of the world, but it seems like their high school team gets better every season.

Dickinson is like Williston in the fact that they are also much improved, but I personally don't believe that hockey has caught on in Dickinson quite yet. A couple years ago they made the state high school tournament which is huge for a young program, but they've kind of taken their lumps the past couple of years. I still believe they belong in high school hockey (although others here will tell you differently) and hopefully in the near future the game will catch on in Dickyville. Like I've always believed, the growth of hockey in a small state like North Dakota is HUGE!