SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

Jamestown the #3 from the west beat Devils Lake, West Fargo, and tied North. Those are 4, 5, and 6................so the west can't be as horrible as you all say.

It's not that they are horrible, it's that the East always wins against the West. You have to give Jamestown credit for those wins, but until this last year, Jamestown was an Eastern Division team.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Score Red River 7 Minot 1:

Well, let me first say one thing....wow. I've watched a lot of high school hockey in my day, but I have never seen a team pass as well as this Red River team does. Its like they've got magnets on their sticks. Some pretty pretty passing goals by the Riders, and hard working gritty goals as well. I don't have my mind made up about who Red River's best player is. I'm leaning towards Meland, but they've also got some great defensement in Galbreath and Ladoucer, and the goaltender Pat Arnason was great as well. Minot had some great chances off of some turnovers to get a goal but Arnason shut the door on them. I'm really impressed with his lateral movement for a big guy, and how he doesn't waste movement when making the save. The only goal Minot scored was in the third period when Arnason was taken out for Gilbertson? Is that right?

Minot in my opinion is a pretty decent hockey club, but Red River is just in a class of their own. There were points in the game when I think I was cheering for Red River because I was that impressed with their puck movement, and overall team speed, it was a lot of fun to watch. I tried to think of a weakness that Red River has, but I really can't find one. Just give them the trophy now.

Note to Hakstol, Players to recruit:

~Meland

~Ladoucer (sp)

~Galbreath

~Russel Crary (in a couple of years)

~Arnason

Thats all I got, hope I didn't miss anything.

I will take your note to Hakstol as a joke. As it was intended to be? I hope.

I will take your note to Hakstol as a joke. As it was intended to be? I hope.

I do not think Wilburs list of players to recruit is a joke. Meland, Ladeuceur, Galbreath and Arnason are all very likey D1 prospects after a year or two of juniors. As for Crary, its a little early to tell, but he has great speed and skill, and he plays a great physical game.

I do not think Wilburs list of players to recruit is a joke. Meland, Ladeuceur, Galbreath and Arnason are all very likey D1 prospects after a year or two of juniors. As for Crary, its a little early to tell, but he has great speed and skill, and he plays a great physical game.

I too agree with Wilbur's assessment. If there are going to be d-1 players coming out of ND in the next couple of years, they will likely be from GFRR, Grafton and FS programs. I suppose the goalie from Bismarck and Nathan Stremick from Minot and that one kid from Devils Lake could be thrown in the mix too. Herbel from Bottineau may be one too. I agree though that they all will need 1 or 2 years of USHL development. I think the last ND players to come right out of high school were Mike LaMoine (1985) from GFRR, Quinn Fylling from Minot (US Development program -- although he went to Sioux Falls after one year with the Sioux) and probably Dean French (1985) from Grafton who played for CC. Maybe Jim Kropp (1985) went right from Jamestown to RPI too. It doesn't happen very often for MN kids let alone ND kids.

Look at the roster for UND. I believe almost all of their defenseman were drafted into the NHL. Even Rylan Kaip, who has seen limited success on the scoresheet, was drafted into the NHL. The way some of you try and correlate success in North Dakota high school hockey to a career beyond that is truely mind boggeling. I am not yet a historian when it comes to high school hockey, but I'm pretty close to it. It is rare, if ever that one team graduates 3 players that all continue to play division one hockey. Red River had Danny Irmen, Ryan Potulny and Nate Zieglemann in one year, but Irmen and Potunly left after their sophomore years. Even that is not a one school show, because Irmen transferred from Fargo North. Minot has Willert and Dittus, but no one knows if Dittus will play division one. What you need to understand is that many players that go to the USHL play division three hockey. To say Meland, Galbreath, Ladeuceur, and Arnason are all likely prospects after a year of two or juniors, you are implying they could step in with a junior team and have success tommorow. Which is not the case at all. I encourage you to watch many of these NAHL players from Bismarck and Fargo because USHL teams are a little more of a distance from our parts. These guys can move. The step from high school hockey to junior hockey is much larger than I think you realize. Take Paul Weisgarber for instance (great player might I add). His production is nothing near to what he accomplished in high school. Look at Andy Dittus (great player might I add). I think he has one goal playing in the USHL. These leagues aren't "you were good in high school so you'll be good here". No way, no how. If you guys want to speculate who is going to play division one hockey, the player better have had success on a variey of levels, and against a variety of competition. Until this year, Pat Arnason was a backup goalie to a good Eli Rosendahl. Not a division one Eli Rosendahl.

I bet if you told Coach Hakstol that he was to recruit Jarrett Galbreath or Ryan Ladeuceur instead of Ben Blood (Shattuck St. Marys) he would politely thank you for the advice and show you the door.

They all go to get bigger. I personally dont think RR d is that big for d1

They go to get bigger? No wonder the Europeans and Russians have consistently produced higher quality players than that of the US. There is more to hockey than putting on weight. A truth these countries understand, and apparently it's a message that no one passed on in North Dakota.

Look at the roster for UND. I believe almost all of their defenseman were drafted into the NHL. Even Rylan Kaip, who has seen limited success on the scoresheet, was drafted into the NHL. The way some of you try and correlate success in North Dakota high school hockey to a career beyond that is truely mind boggeling. I am not yet a historian when it comes to high school hockey, but I'm pretty close to it. It is rare, if ever that one team graduates 3 players that all continue to play division one hockey. Red River had Danny Irmen, Ryan Potulny and Nate Zieglemann in one year, but Irmen and Potunly left after their sophomore years. Even that is not a one school show, because Irmen transferred from Fargo North. Minot has Willert and Dittus, but no one knows if Dittus will play division one. What you need to understand is that many players that go to the USHL play division three hockey. To say Meland, Galbreath, Ladeuceur, and Arnason are all likely prospects after a year of two or juniors, you are implying they could step in with a junior team and have success tommorow. Which is not the case at all. I encourage you to watch many of these NAHL players from Bismarck and Fargo because USHL teams are a little more of a distance from our parts. These guys can move. The step from high school hockey to junior hockey is much larger than I think you realize. Take Paul Weisgarber for instance (great player might I add). His production is nothing near to what he accomplished in high school. Look at Andy Dittus (great player might I add). I think he has one goal playing in the USHL. These leagues aren't "you were good in high school so you'll be good here". No way, no how. If you guys want to speculate who is going to play division one hockey, the player better have had success on a variey of levels, and against a variety of competition. Until this year, Pat Arnason was a backup goalie to a good Eli Rosendahl. Not a division one Eli Rosendahl.

I bet if you told Coach Hakstol that he was to recruit Jarrett Galbreath or Ryan Ladeuceur instead of Ben Blood (Shattuck St. Marys) he would politely thank you for the advice and show you the door.

First off, for being such a high school hockey guru you have forgot to mention a few things. Besides Irmen, Potulny and Ziegelmann playing D1hockey, Mike Eickman (Nebraska-Omaha) and Nick Kresbach (Wayne State) also went on to play at that level. Another former RR player from around the same time period, Scott Howe, played a couple years at the Air Force Academy, however im not sure on the years. Im not saying that we will undoubtably see Galbreath, Ladeuceur, Meland and Arnason in D1 hockey someday. I am simply stating that it is possible. Another thing to remember is that there are other less established D1 programs out there, maybe these guys will not be good enough to play for a top notch program like UND or Minnesota, but I believe there are programs out there where they could fit in.

First off, for being such a high school hockey guru you have forgot to mention a few things. Besides Irmen, Potulny and Ziegelmann playing D1hockey, Mike Eickman (Nebraska-Omaha) and Nick Kresbach (Wayne State) also went on to play at that level. Another former RR player from around the same time period, Scott Howe, played a couple years at the Air Force Academy, however im not sure on the years. Im not saying that we will undoubtably see Galbreath, Ladeuceur, Meland and Arnason in D1 hockey someday. I am simply stating that it is possible. Another thing to remember is that there are other less established D1 programs out there, maybe these guys will not be good enough to play for a top notch program like UND or Minnesota, but I believe there are programs out there where they could fit in.

The topic at hand was those players being recruited for UND. I responded as I saw fit. You forgot to mention that Nick Kresbach transferred from Wayne State to play club hockey at NDSU. I knew Eickman went on to play division one after playing for the Lincoln Stars, but I was unsure as to where.

There is a chance that one of those players will play on a division one squad. My bet would be on Galbreath. But if your basis for playing division one hockey after high school is based solely on their success in high school you're not looking at the bigger picture. Maybe you should take a closer look at what many great ND players are doing in the junior ranks. Look at the stats for Marc Mihulka, Paul Weisgarber, Tyler Jundt, Andy Dittus and compare that to their high school stats.

I would find your posts to much more credible and well thought out if you could provide me some information or statistics that show the odds of playing division one hockey are in their favor.

The topic at hand was those players being recruited for UND. I responded as I saw fit. You forgot to mention that Nick Kresbach transferred from Wayne State to play club hockey at NDSU. I knew Eickman went on to play division one after playing for the Lincoln Stars, but I was unsure as to where.

There is a chance that one of those players will play on a division one squad. My bet would be on Galbreath. But if your basis for playing division one hockey after high school is based solely on their success in high school you're not looking at the bigger picture. Maybe you should take a closer look at what many great ND players are doing in the junior ranks. Look at the stats for Marc Mihulka, Paul Weisgarber, Tyler Jundt, Andy Dittus and compare that to their high school stats.

I would find your posts to much more credible and well thought out if you could provide me some information or statistics that show the odds of playing division one hockey are in their favor.

My own take on it is to monitor those kids who may have a chance at playing in the USHL and NAHL and hope that they will move on to D-1 programs, particularly UND. That hope may translate into unrealistic overconfidence, I think, sometimes. There is a big jump from high school to junior hockey that many of us don't realize too much. I think those ND kids mentioned have a fair chance of doing ok there but only time will tell if they adopt the work ethic needed. Some good players to play d-3 like Bliss Littler from Minot several years ago who played at uw = river falls. He should have been playing at the Sioux but Gino probably thought he was too small. Gino always did have a bias against american kids and ND kids particularly.

By "almost all," do you really mean 3 out of 7?

No. I said I believe almost all of them were drafted into the NHL. But yes, just under half of the defensmen were drafted into the NHL. I was under the impression Chay Genoway was drafted but that is not the case.

Was there anything else you would like to add to the topic?

Red River beat Warroad 2-1...from what i heard it was a pretty good game. Jake Waind and Matt Erickson with the goals for the Riders.

So earlier in the season when Grafton beat Warroad 4-1 everyone was talking about how down Warroad is this year. Well now RR beat them only 2-1. Is Warroad still down this year? I think if GPR plays their game on Saturday night like they did against Warroad earlier this season GPR has a very good chance at winning that game. RR obviously has the edge in defense and in goaltending but I would have to say that GPR has more dynamic forwards, including this years headrunner for Mr.Hockey, Zach Miller. This is shaping up to be a great battle.