SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

So earlier in the season when Grafton beat Warroad 4-1 everyone was talking about how down Warroad is this year. Well now RR beat them only 2-1. Is Warroad still down this year? I think if GPR plays their game on Saturday night like they did against Warroad earlier this season GPR has a very good chance at winning that game. RR obviously has the edge in defense and in goaltending but I would have to say that GPR has more dynamic forwards, including this years headrunner for Mr.Hockey, Zach Miller. This is shaping up to be a great battle.

I dont recall anybody ever saying Grafton doesnt have a chance against Red River. Anybody that knows anything about high school hockey knows it will be a good game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So earlier in the season when Grafton beat Warroad 4-1 everyone was talking about how down Warroad is this year. Well now RR beat them only 2-1. Is Warroad still down this year? I think if GPR plays their game on Saturday night like they did against Warroad earlier this season GPR has a very good chance at winning that game. RR obviously has the edge in defense and in goaltending but I would have to say that GPR has more dynamic forwards, including this years headrunner for Mr.Hockey, Zach Miller. This is shaping up to be a great battle.

Let's use some logical thinking. Fargo South loses to Red River 8-0. Earlier in the season Grafton lost to Red River by a score of 3-2. By your reasoning, Grafton should have beat South by a score similar to that (7-0). But that is not what happend, on both meetings Grafton lost to Fargo South. Game scores as well as other statistics (PIMs, goals, assists, points, blocked shots, takeouts) are just that. Statistics. Statistics are merely a presentation of numbers of things that were done in the past. When success in the past gaurentees success in the future, I will use statistics as a measuring as to how future events will occur.

Is Zach Miller eligible to win Mr. Hockey?

Because of his prior legal issues? Good question.

I think he would be. I agree that GPR has better forwards, maybe not as good as South, but they are better than what RR has. I think Miller is one of the best wings in the state, but don't forget about Hills who is probably the best center in the state.

I think he would be. I agree that GPR has better forwards, maybe not as good as South, but they are better than what RR has. I think Miller is one of the best wings in the state, but don't forget about Hills who is probably the best center in the state.

Does anyone know where you can see an EDC bracket?

Hockey101, you need to check your high school hockey knowledge. Why would a player currently playing highschool hockey not be eligible for Mr. Hockey??? He is just as eligible as any other player in the state, and probably the leading one. There have been several past players with issues during the summer months and some even at the beginning of school, that have won and or been finalists. Mr. Hockey is based on certain things and past history other than school and hockey are not one of those things that it is based on. I also think that the best center in the state could be Eric Meland!

Hockey101, you need to check your high school hockey knowledge. Why would a player currently playing highschool hockey not be eligible for Mr. Hockey??? He is just as eligible as any other player in the state, and probably the leading one. There have been several past players with issues during the summer months and some even at the beginning of school, that have won and or been finalists. Mr. Hockey is based on certain things and past history other than school and hockey are not one of those things that it is based on. I also think that the best center in the state could be Eric Meland!

It was just a question...i didnt know if you would still be eligible to win something like that after getting a DUI......i dont know how just asking a question has anything to do with my high school hockey knowledge.

I don't think so for the ndaha, but we'll see i guess. just last year there was a finalist with a minor on his record, and i know there have been winners that have been in a situation like that, but i guess it's not up to us.

What other Mr. Hockey winners have had minors on their record prior to being named Mr. Hockey? In any case, if he is eligible, that does not mean it will not affect whether or not he wins. Although I believe the award should be given to the best hockey player in the state, other factors are considered in the voting. These include prior legal issues, grades, and community service. Some people are naturally better students than others, just like some are naturally better athletes. While legal issues can give some insight to the character of a certain player, in some cases, grades cannot. Some people may have to put in more effort to get a B, than someone else does to get an A. Because of that, I don't think that should be highly considered in the voting process.

What other Mr. Hockey winners have had minors on their record prior to being named Mr. Hockey? In any case, if he is eligible, that does not mean it will not affect whether or not he wins. Although I believe the award should be given to the best hockey player in the state, other factors are considered in the voting. These include prior legal issues, grades, and community service. Some people are naturally better students than others, just like some are naturally better athletes. While legal issues can give some insight to the character of a certain player, in some cases, grades cannot. Some people may have to put in more effort to get a B, than someone else does to get an A. Because of that, I don't think that should be highly considered in the voting process.

I wish they would drop all of the other factors from these awards (Mr. Hockey, Basketball, etc.). There should be an award for the best hockey player in the state, not the best hockey player in the state who also is a perfect citizen and student. If you want a character award, then create a new one. Players should be honored for their hockey skills. It equates to a college graduate who has a 4.0 but no extra activities losing a job to a student with a 3.0 with extra activities. Why are extra activities so important?

Jamestown 2 Bismarck 1, there was a fight in the end which resulted in Seeberg and Peterson kicked out for BHS and Spenningsby and Lindberg plus 2 jv seniors that were dressing for senior night. Thats some bad news for both teams going into the WDA tournament missing 2 of the better players from each team for the first round.

Jamestown 2 Bismarck 1, there was a fight in the end which resulted in Seeberg and Peterson kicked out for BHS and Spenningsby and Lindberg plus 2 jv seniors that were dressing for senior night. Thats some bad news for both teams going into the WDA tournament missing 2 of the better players from each team for the first round.

Spenningsby? Kicked out of a game for fighting? I would have never guessed...

I smell upset next week. Bottineau is for real and they are going to beat Bismarck. Bottineau just lost to Minot 3-2 and I watched them, they are a good team. Now with BHS losing their leading scorer, Bottineau is going to pull off the upset.

I think our definitions of "good team" might be a little bit different.

I smell upset next week. Bottineau is for real and they are going to beat Bismarck. Bottineau just lost to Minot 3-2 and I watched them, they are a good team. Now with BHS losing their leading scorer, Bottineau is going to pull off the upset.

Haha, if by good you mean terrible, then yes, they are a good team.

Perhaps you forgot, they are from the west.

OK guys. Bottineau vs Century JV was not really that. What it was is this, Century screwed up and thought it was for 0 points and were going to play their JV. It turned out that the game was for 2 and Century scrambled to get some Varsity kids dressed. So it was a points game and it was not really Century's JV team it was a mix of Varsity and JV kids.

Bottineau is in the top 4 of the West. And the East, with the exception of Red River is not nearly as far in front of the West as many would like to think. Minot had Grafton tied 2-2 about half way through the third period. And they lost to Devil's Lake on a penalty shot in overtime.

OK guys. Bottineau vs Century JV was not really that. What it was is this, Century screwed up and thought it was for 0 points and were going to play their JV. It turned out that the game was for 2 and Century scrambled to get some Varsity kids dressed. So it was a points game and it was not really Century's JV team it was a mix of Varsity and JV kids.

Bottineau is in the top 4 of the West. And the East, with the exception of Red River is not nearly as far in front of the West as many would like to think. Minot had Grafton tied 2-2 about half way through the third period. And they lost to Devil's Lake on a penalty shot in overtime.

This is where you are wrong. The difference between the east and west this year is more dramatic than most years. I agree that Devils Lake is beatable, but frankly, RR, South and Grafton are worlds above any of the teams in the west. South is probably more talented than RR, but has some "chemistry" problems. They pounded Bismarck, and it was no fluke. RR pasted Minot, and Grafton beat by 3 goals. There is virtually no chance that the top 3 seeds from the east get beat by west teams, and frankly, I will be surprised if any of those games are closer than 4 goals. I expect that Devils Lake or possibly North will be the 4th team coming out of the east. They are both beatable, but if DL is playing its best, they won't lose to Minot, Bismarck or Jamestown. North is at least as good as them, as they beat Bismarck and tied Jamestown. North's top line is very good, they simply don't have the depth. The bottom line is that DL and North should also beat the top seed from the west, but it may be a very good game.

This is not intended to be "west bashing" as I realize that there are years when the west has very good teams, and I also realize that there are good players from the west. In fact, many of the top players in the west would be the top players in the east. However, the depth of the top teams is where they have the advantage. South and RR can roll 4 lines and their 3rd and 4th lines will be better than most 2nd lines in the west. That is reality.