SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ SEAWOLVES

willistonsioux

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really we just need a goaltender who can pick up for most of our D's lapses(Lammy). I hope that he'll be ready to play against CC or Hakstol just better wise up and at least allow Walski to start the first game...

Also congrats to UAA. They definitely deserved the sweep and I'll be at the rematch in January. Lawson is heckuva goalie!

Congrats to UAA, they played hard all w/e and deserved to win.

It is becoming painfully obvious that Grieco is not ready to be a regular starter at this level. There is certainly potential there but way too many soft goals allowed this year. Given he is still only 17 I would guess they had planned for Parise to be back this year and Grieco to get another year of juniors.

Lammy hasn't exactly looked great this year either. Until they can get consistently good goaltending this team is going to struggle. I think the loss of Berry also hurts quite a bit, the defense isn't playing as well as I would have expected.

As for the offense...if you throw out the Mankato series we have just 15 goals in the last 8 games. No better then Wisconsin is doing and I think most would agree the offensive talent for the SIOUX is quite a bit better than the Badgers right now.

Real easy to be negative right now after a horrible w/e. I do have confidence in Hak that they will get things straightened out. Getting a little tired of having to get things "straightened out" for the third year in a row, although I will be more than happy if it consistently results in making the Frozen Four. It's the journey there that is driving me nuts. We may have to just get used to this type of inconsistency when we are losing top flight players after just 2 or 3 years.

Next weekend will be the first time in over a year that I get to use my season tickets, a PERFECT weekend for a come back sweep at home. Get Oshie and Toews a couple of goals a each, maybe a hatty, get Lammy back between the posts and lots of freshman scoring! Plus, it will be my 2 yr old's first game, she already knows to say, "GO SIOUX!!" every time she sees the logo and will be wearing her brand new jersey. I think the timing and the intensity will be perfect for the boys.

Like it has been said before, it's only November. I would rather struggle and learn now and peak at the right time. How many times have we watched WCHA teams lose 1 or 2 games in all of November and December, and then slide miserably in Feb. & March? And I think we need to remember we are still a pretty young team and we are replacing a lot of scoring and locker room leadership. Let them get comfortable on their lines, take the lumps and start coming together in the middle of January for big finish on their way to St. Louis.

Hak's postgame comments:

~Good effort tonight.

~2 losses not acceptable

~goaltending was not good enough

~cheap hook for 5 on 3; no consistency in reffing; "We don't know what the hell is going to happen"

~performance-wise, a lesson this weekend. Friday not hungry.

~Zajac, Vandevelde, Miller were brightspots

But Hak in fact happy with the team's effort all the way through the lineup.

People here get too caught up in the scoreboard in evaluating the play. With good goaltending, UND will win most of the games when they play a good solid game like this. They didn't get any bounces, hit posts, etc., while UAA did. And UAA played very well all weekend; very impressive team speed.

I don't like giving away points either, but I saw elements that can be put together to make this team formidable down the line.

Hmm, what to say, what to say.... I wasn't in the hot tub tonight as long as I was last night.... I can honestly say that I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to either game this weekend, so my post-game/series comments might get some feedback cuz it's gunna be lame.... And I'm tired, I had a long and busy day! Alritey here goes nothin:

1) First off, I HAVE to give UAA credit. They have a helluva goalie in Lawson, and IMO an underrated team. From what I heard (since my computer's too slow to have the webcast like the rest of you) they played great this weekend!! So congratulations to them on their first home sweep of us in exactly 11 years!! That should give them some confidence...

2) Where were the Fighting Sioux hockey players?? I don't think it was them in their jerseys, coulda been some high schoolers or somethin. They obviously decided not to show up for this series. We can't blame it ALL on goaltending though, I believe everyone on the team is responsible for a loss OR a win.

3) Where the heck were TJ and Toews all weekend?? I know Toews got a goal and an assist, but I felt like there was nothin comin from those guys! We didn't have anyone really step up, other than Duncs with his 2 goals tonight.... Someone better be sayin somethin to these guys soon, I can't watch or listen to any more of this kinda hockey. This team better find something that works for them and step out big time against CC next weekend at home, or else they're in big trouble, cuz apparently they have a really good goalie too....

I know that was totally and completely lame and non-informative.... But I'm gunna watch both the games when they're on archive, and I can maybe do another post-series thing on here... or maybe not since it wasn't a very good series, whatever.... I'm fricken tired, I'm out...

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

But Hak in fact happy with the team's effort all the way through the lineup.

People here get too caught up in the scoreboard in evaluating the play. With good goaltending, UND will win most of the games when they play a good solid game like this. They didn't get any bounces, hit posts, etc., while UAA did. And UAA played very well all weekend; very impressive team speed.

I don't like giving away points either, but I saw elements that can be put together to make this team formidable down the line.

I agreed with Hak's postgame comments. We lost both games, sure, but look at Friday and then look at Saturday. We played MUCH MUCH better last night than we did Friday.

And Vandevelde gets better and better every game he plays. He's not going to be a superstar, but as long as he keeps on improving, that's good for our depth.

Though Hak has a point regarding Shepherd, we can't forget that Shepherd got UAA 3 straight times on what could have been weak calls as well. I disagree with him on the hooking call. Watkins definitely hooked the UAA player. Clark was not interfered with though.

Overall our PK was better than Friday. We got marginally more shots to Lawson (though we really didn't get him moving all that much except for Duncan's first goal. We learned a lesson, I guess, tonight, but I thought that lesson was learned against Maine.

It's still early and it is never a good feeling getting swept regardless of opponent (though the wrose the team is percieved that is sweeping you the worse you'll feel). We'll recover. I guess we will have to get used to the fact that the Sioux aren't an early season performer. I'd rather get my losing done now than the second half, that's for sure.

This series was down right embarrassing!! :lol: This team is not very good right now. In fact they haven't played that well all year with the exception of a couple of games. The only really good team we faced(Maine) totally dominated us on our own ice. This team is going nowhere if they don't get their s@#%together. I feel most of the blame falls on Hak, the offense is anemic and the defense has been very sloppy at best. :D

this is starting to look like the last two years to me(how people are wondering about the siouxs ability), and to those people, you have to remember that its better to peak late and go onto wins in the ncaa playoffs than it is to peak early like minnesota and lose to holy cross. this team has very good potential and i think looks better overall at this point than last years team.

Edit: also if your a fan of the team, dont bash them...i hate that when people bash their own team. be optomistic.

The rules of college hockey have not ceased to exist for this Sioux team. You simply can't lose five excellent players early and expect to be a great team the next season. It just doesn't work that way. Particularly with a very ordinary freshmen class.

I agree. And I also think people should realize that for each year he's been here, Hakstol has started the season with a team that was a great deal different from the season before. It takes time to find the right combinations and build chemistry. This is still a young team with a great deal of maturing to do.

There was no doubt that this year's Sioux team would have to rely heavily on Toews and Oshie in the early going, but both of them have been bothered by injuries. Having Lamoureux was supposed to give Grieco more time to develop. That didn't work out, either. And we're now seeing just how much our young defense relied on Jordan Parise to back them up with his solid, consistent play game after game.

Nobody should be happy about the outcome of the UAA series. I'm sure Hakstol and the coaching staff aren't. I'm sure none of the players are. But there's a long way to go in this season and a lot can change between now and March.

I agree. And I also think people should realize that for each year he's been here, Hakstol has started the season with a team that was a great deal different from the season before. It takes time to find the right combinations and build chemistry. This is still a young team with a great deal of maturing to do.

There was no doubt that this year's Sioux team would have to rely heavily on Toews and Oshie in the early going, but both of them have been bothered by injuries. Having Lamoureux was supposed to give Grieco more time to develop. That didn't work out, either. And we're now seeing just how much our young defense relied on Jordan Parise to back them up with his solid, consistent play game after game.

Nobody should be happy about the outcome of the UAA series. I'm sure Hakstol and the coaching staff aren't. I'm sure none of the players are. But there's a long way to go in this season and a lot can change between now and March.

Yes the Sioux have a young D and Goalie, but of greater concern to the coaches should be the two goal a game effort they are getting from this lineup.

Though Hak has a point regarding Shepherd, we can't forget that Shepherd got UAA 3 straight times on what could have been weak calls as well. I disagree with him on the hooking call. Watkins definitely hooked the UAA player. Clark was not interfered with though.

Tim Hennesy's call on the play was; you let that play go all game and then call it. Funny thing is, it

this is starting to look like the last two years to me(how people are wondering about the siouxs ability), and to those people, you have to remember that its better to peak late and go onto wins in the ncaa playoffs than it is to peak early like minnesota and lose to holy cross. this team has very good potential and i think looks better overall at this point than last years team.

Edit: also if your a fan of the team, dont bash them...i hate that when people bash their own team. be optomistic.

Well if Minnesota is peaking, some could make the argument they are, I don't see us playing that good at the end of the season. No offense, defense sucks and our goaltending is almost (Insert a crappy team with bad goaltending. The second UAA goal was horrible.

Last year early on the Gophers lost three out of four points to Fairbanks at home, three out of four points to Duluth on the road, and got swept to Wisconsin at home. This included falling to #13 in the polls. They were then only beaten once in the rest of the regular season and went on to win the Macnaughton Cup. So you can see that the season is still very young. From a talent perspective I still think we have one of the best if not the best talented team in the conference.

Yes the Sioux have a young D and Goalie, but of greater concern to the coaches should be the two goal a game effort they are getting from this lineup.

True. I think UND's goaltending and defense will improve considerably as the year goes on. However, I'm much more concerned about whether UND has the guns to make the offense improve a great deal.

True. I think UND's goaltending and defense will improve considerably as the year goes on. However, I'm much more concerned about whether UND has the guns to make the offense improve a great deal.

A healthy Oshie and Toews would help a great deal. I know Oshie's injury has to be affecting his play. I don't know about Toews, but he just doesn't look the same as he did before he got injured.

A healthy Oshie and Toews would help a great deal. I know Oshie's injury has to be affecting his play. I don't know about Toews, but he just doesn't look the same as he did before he got injured.

Hey PCM can you give us a report on the status of these two players.

Also, TH said Fabian went off the ice hurt again. I heard that he isn't even 100 percent right now.