SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralph

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

There has been quite a lot of complaining about the atmosphere at The Ralph lately. Well, LETS IMPROVE IT! What can be done to make it better? What do other rinks do better to get a good atmosphere? Get some ideas out there.

Try and keep some substance in this thread, not just all complaints about stuff that can not be controlled.

Thanks

I like the Atmosphere of the Ralph (If were playing good) It's not a Head bangers ball ;) - This has been talked about before - usually denigrates into a discussion on the students being able to stand & yell all the time :lol:

& I don't see much talk of this "Lately" ?

I personally think it's cool when the Wisconsin students start chanting "Stand up old people" and then they do.... But I'm pretty sure that with the dumb rules our student section has, that probably wouldn't happen or be allowed or something.

Another idea is that people learn the words to the school songs and SING ALONG when the band plays. Or how about everyone other than the student section ACTUALLY CHEERING other than just at goals?!?!? Seriously, it's a hockey game, not a funeral.... Standing and cheering and all that stuff IS allowed the last time I checked!! So get into the games!!!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!! BEAT THE HUSKIES IN HOCKEY AND FOOTBALL!!!

I personally think it's cool when the Wisconsin students start chanting "Stand up old people" and then they do.... But I'm pretty sure that with the dumb rules our student section has, that probably wouldn't happen or be allowed or something.

Another idea is that people learn the words to the school songs and SING ALONG when the band plays. Or how about everyone other than the student section ACTUALLY CHEERING other than just at goals?!?!? Seriously, it's a hockey game, not a funeral.... Standing and cheering and all that stuff IS allowed the last time I checked!! So get into the games!!!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!! BEAT THE HUSKIES IN HOCKEY AND FOOTBALL!!!

I agree! Stand up and cheer! I am a big fan of doing that.

I would like to find a way to get the "old people" (like me) more involved in organized chants like "sieve" etc that seem to originate from the student section. I sit with the general public and see spontaneous cheering, but very little participation in chants etc. When some of us do participate, we feel out of place, because no-one else is doing it. Maybe we could flash the chants on the screens or use flyers to help organize. If we could make this work, it would ratchet up the noise and possibly help keep the chants clever but clean. We need a coordinated effort. Everyone needs to be encouraged to be involved. We are stuck with the seating arrangement that gave the best seats to the richest (or corporate) group - not the most fanatic fans. We need to get these people involved in the cheering.

I think the band has to step up and take control. They play great, but they need songs that people can sing or chant along with and they need to get the fans pumped up like the big schools when you watch major college football or basketball. Wisconsin band controls the student section and that gets the rest of the crowd into it.

I'm a student, and I'll be sitting outside the student section for tonight's game v. St. Cloud, so I'll be doing all the chants along with the rest of the students on the other side of the rink. Having some more people outside the student section cheering, or clapping along with the band's beat, or originating some "LETS GO SIOUX", or even a "SIOUX YEAH YEAH" would really impress the students, and make the whole place a lot louder than it even is. Rumor is that the Ralph is already the toughest place for opposing teams to play in, why not make it that much harder? Having some coordinated chants on the fascia that surrounds the rink is a very good idea, and I occasionally see the school song up while the band plays it, but the only time that these would be able to be shown would be in an intermission or stoppage in play. My friend is the production manager for the women's games, and the fascia isn't supposed to have animation during the play...we could get some fan towels or signs though as a promotion...we have a Bobcat Powerplay and a Rydell Goal...gotta get the fans some give away so we all have something to do in common.

I am also a goalie that has played about 15 years of hockey, and from experience, no matter how hard you try to block out the "sieve" chants, it is something that is in your head...anything to get the goalie off his game helps a lot. I wish we could have built up a little more momentum against Maine to get into the yeti's, I mean, the 6'7" goalie's head.

Have an awesome weekend everyone!

First a bit of history. When we moved from the old Barn to the Winter Sports building the talk was that it was too fancy and the fans were different. Sound familiar.

In the early 80's the fans were louder than they were in the late 90's. (in my opinion of course).

That gets to my suggestion. Prior to Ralph Englestads original gift of $5,000,000 the noise came from the fans. Some of the first money spent from the 5 million was a sound system. Starting then the PA would do their best to drown out the fans.

Now in games there's never a chance for the crowd to get into it. The students start a cheer and the bozo on the PA starts some announcement that nobody gives a rip over. In the Maine series the fans were starting to get on Don Adam a bit and the PA guy drowned out the fans.

Somebody mentioned that they'd like to get the season ticket holders involved in the cheers. It takes a while for the student volume to get up so the season ticket holders can figure out what the chant is. By the time I figure it out (admittedly I'm slow) it's usually too late.

My solution is for the guys running the sound system to pick their spots. If the fans aren't going yet, play a song. Drop most of the announcements, nobody gives a rip anyway.

As far as the band, we love them but they gotta pick their spot too. We didn't buy that scholarship to listen to the band.

(Ducking)

I don't disagree about the Ralph sometimes sounding like a morgue. But I think you can't have it both ways. This board is filled with derisive comments about the Mankato fans' "ole, ole" chant as well as the "M-I-N-N-E-..." (well you get it) cheer in those rinks. Yet it is precisely that kind of non-profane, non-abusive crowd noise that will most likely involve old people (like me) and the "corporate" pukes so many here like to harp on.

I'm a grey-haired (shut up TRIOUXPER!) grandfather who thinks the "sieve" thing is a little nasty, and really only "involves" the crowd at (unfortunately) limited times during the game. I certainly am not going to take part in profane or personally hurtful cheers.

There is something haunting and intimidating about the Gopher fans' M-I-N-N-etc. cheer. Anyone who attended the World Juniors at The Ralph knows the Canadians (at least) would break out in group cheers or songs at just about any moment during a game.

I get the sense that many Fighting Sioux fans have relegated these cheers to the "beneath us" or too corny category, and the atmosphere at The Ralph suffers for that arrogance.

Flame away.

(Ducking)

I don't disagree about the Ralph sometimes sounding like a morgue. But I think you can't have it both ways. This board is filled with derisive comments about the Mankato fans' "ole, ole" chant as well as the "M-I-N-N-E-..." (well you get it) cheer in those rinks. Yet it is precisely that kind of non-profane, non-abusive crowd noise that will most likely involve old people (like me) and the "corporate" pukes so many here like to harp on.

I'm a grey-haired (shut up TRIOUXPER!) grandfather who thinks the "sieve" thing is a little nasty, and really only "involves" the crowd at (unfortunately) limited times during the game. I certainly am not going to take part in profane or personally hurtful cheers.

There is something haunting and intimidating about the Gopher fans' M-I-N-N-etc. cheer. Anyone who attended the World Juniors at The Ralph knows the Canadians (at least) would break out in group cheers or songs at just about any moment during a game.

I get the sense that many Fighting Sioux fans have relegated these cheers to the "beneath us" or too corny category, and the atmosphere at The Ralph suffers for that arrogance.

Flame away.

Why you gotta be like that.

Rumor is that the Ralph is already the toughest place for opposing teams to play in,
No, the old one was, not the new one.

THETRIOUXPER Posted Today, 02:52 PM

QUOTE(mikejm @ Nov 3 2006, 04:50 PM)

QUOTE(THETRIOUXPER @ Nov 3 2006, 02:48 PM)

Why you gotta be like that.

You know me...why you even gotta ask that question.

You caught me on a good day, I've had enough verbal confrontations for one week

Ah, did I wear you out?

MikeJM,

Do you really think that chanting sieve is nasty? Come On. This is college hockey, not a 3rd grade piano recital. I guarentee you that the goalie in net has heard things that would make you're head burst open if you think sieve is nasty.

[rant]

What needs to happen?

First of all, people need to stand up every now and then and cheer. Its a joke how a $100 million dollar arena, built to be loud can be so quiet at times. The Canadians at the world juniors showed us how loud that place can get, why isn't it.

Partially because there has been a witch hunt by people with money, season ticket holders, and security against the UND students. At the old ralph the students rarely sat down, and never shut up. Sure some of the chants were slightly vulger, but that doesn't have to happen and we can still be loud.

I've been to games where we're down by a goal late in the 3rd period and we get a power play and its still quiet in there. Somehow the fans need an indoctrination into what it means to cheer for your team.

New cheers don't come along that easily, but the fascia would help, shutting the PA guy up every now and then would help too.

Go to the DECC, go to Wisc., go to Mankato... Those fans know how to rock a building, I hate to say it but we need to learn from them. Students should be allow to stand up the whole game, they'll be louder and they'll get the rest of the crowd into it. When they shut the students up, they shut the whole crowd up.

[/rant]

Okay, i didn't have many suggestions there.

first, chants on the fascia. Second, give the students a little more 'elbow room' to be loud, Third, quit pandering to the money and suite holders (they ain't going anywhere,) fourth, get the band to lead cheers through song (drum usage etc.,) Fifth, quit pandering to the money, Sixth, educate the fans on the chants using flyers, posters, etc. Seventh, just stand the hell up and cheer when you should be standing up and cheering if someone with money tells you to sit down and shut up, tell them to stand up and get loud...

[/rant again]

No, the old one was, not the new one.

Ah, did I wear you out?

MikeJM,

Do you really think that chanting sieve is nasty? Come On. This is college hockey, not a 3rd grade piano recital. I guarentee you that the goalie in net has heard things that would make you're head burst open if you think sieve is nasty.

[rant]

What needs to happen?

First of all, people need to stand up every now and then and cheer. Its a joke how a $100 million dollar arena, built to be loud can be so quiet at times. The Canadians at the world juniors showed us how loud that place can get, why isn't it.

Partially because there has been a witch hunt by people with money, season ticket holders, and security against the UND students. At the old ralph the students rarely sat down, and never shut up. Sure some of the chants were slightly vulger, but that doesn't have to happen and we can still be loud.

I've been to games where we're down by a goal late in the 3rd period and we get a power play and its still quiet in there. Somehow the fans need an indoctrination into what it means to cheer for your team.

New cheers don't come along that easily, but the fascia would help, shutting the PA guy up every now and then would help too.

Go to the DECC, go to Wisc., go to Mankato... Those fans know how to rock a building, I hate to say it but we need to learn from them. Students should be allow to stand up the whole game, they'll be louder and they'll get the rest of the crowd into it. When they shut the students up, they shut the whole crowd up.

[/rant]

Okay, i didn't have many suggestions there.

first, chants on the fascia. Second, give the students a little more 'elbow room' to be loud, Third, quit pandering to the money and suite holders (they ain't going anywhere,) fourth, get the band to lead cheers through song (drum usage etc.,) Fifth, quit pandering to the money, Sixth, educate the fans on the chants using flyers, posters, etc. Seventh, just stand the hell up and cheer when you should be standing up and cheering if someone with money tells you to sit down and shut up, tell them to stand up and get loud...

[/rant again]

Here we go again.

just have fun and do what you want to do. others will do what they want to do and just ignore them if they have a problem with ya. you cant change others so its not worth trying. they are paying the same money as others and can choose their own style of attending a game. and we dont have to copy any other schools ideas. make up our own if need be. dont campare it to the old ralph as its a new era and twice the size as the old ralph so it will be different. i want it rockin every second just like many others here but just be realistic. this duscussion comes up every single season. go sioux tonight!!

Daiakia- You're right, I was there when the Canadians played at the Ralph and they WERE loud, but they were some of the most obscene fans I've ever seen in my life!

That being said, I've been at a few games at the NEW Ralph that were just as loud. I seem to recall (IIRC) the Friday game a few years back against BC where we found ourselves down 4-2 and we came back to win 6-4. The Ralph was ABSOLUTELY SHAKING.

We could debate this forever, but we have a thread like this almost 4 times a year now. I think we need to focus on other matters really.

The meanest chant is "It's all your fault," not sieve.

As a parent I can't say I'm happy with the vulgarity but when I have to opportunity to bring the kids I'll do so. I don't think it will leave any scars.

There's been a couple times the kids have asked what the chant was. I just make something up.

I'd love to be more involved in the chanting and cheering etc. Unfortunately, I sit in a quieter part of the arena. I do what I can, but...others just sit there. The Sioux Yeah Yeah thing would be great to do more, but from where I am, by the time I hear it, the reply of Yeah Sioux Sioux is over! Last spring at the Frozen Four, somebody came on our bus and said that, and I (40-something years old) and another person were the only others to reply to it. The other folks on the bus looked at us like we were from another country. I think we need the students to come up with chants/cheers for power plays, goals, etc. If they can get them up on the fascia, that would help. I did see the school song up there...once.