SiouxSports.com Forum

Oct. 30 USCHO D1 Poll

Redneksioux

5th Bucky 3-3-2 ( 1 loss to 8th placed UND, 2 losses to 3rd placed BC, and 2 ties)

8th UND 5-3-0 ( 1 loss to 5th placed Wisc, 2 losses to 1st placed Maine, and no ties)

Something just doesn't seem right.

Of course it's still a very early poll.

This looks better though: UND 1st placed, WCHA, Wisc 2nd placed, WCHA

5th Bucky 3-3-2 ( 1 loss to 8th placed UND, 2 losses to 3rd placed BC, and 2 ties)

8th UND 5-3-0 ( 1 loss to 5th placed Wisc, 2 losses to 1st placed Maine, and no ties)

once again, these polls dont mean crap even if we are #1 or #10, the pairwise is what counts when we get halfway through the season

These polls are bull$hit. Bottom line is win and everything takes care of itself. No matter who is in goal, who is scoring goals, and if it is an ugly win, just win.

exaclty, just win 2/3 of your games in power conferences and you will be just fine. WIN WIN WIN and the rest will take care of itself, polls, schmolls

exaclty, just win 2/3 of your games in power conferences and you will be just fine. WIN WIN WIN and the rest will take care of itself, polls, schmolls

another thing is that at schools like minny, they place a lot of emphasis on regular season games. i think the players get somewhat burnt out, but at UND they do ok until the halfway, and then haul into the playoffs.

I have no clue how they can put Wisconsin that high up. Almost like they are giving them too much respect when they haven't earned it this season, if it wasn't for Elliot they would have been swept by UND. They did nothing against B.C. and they don't have anyone that score, even with the guys that are hurt they still aren't going to finish above UND.

I can see us ranked where we are. Our wins were against Wisconsin (great) and against two other teams. Our wins in Mankato were not confidence inspiring.

On the other hand next week after our shut-out sweep of SCSU we should shoot up in the poll.

I guess we could stay below the radar for a while. That might be a good thing.

It seems like no one has checked the standing UND is in first place in the WCHA.

I know its early but its a possitive.

another thing is that at schools like minny, they place a lot of emphasis on regular season games. i think the players get somewhat burnt out, but at UND they do ok until the halfway, and then haul into the playoffs.

They do? The team that finished third in the WCHA both years they won their national title? The team that went nine years inbetween WCHA regular season titles? The team that rotated in their two freshman goalies in the second half of the season with their senior starter in 2002?

Bottom line...for better or probably worse...no school places less emphasis on the WCHA race than Minny under Lucia. It's all about the Pairwise.

"When the year began, if someone told me we would win the MacNaughton Cup and get a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, I would have taken it in a heartbeat,'' Gophers coach Don Lucia said.

Star Trib, Mar. 20, 2006

"Lucia, who long has stressed getting into the top three as the main goal for the regular season, doesn't sound like a coach who's going to go out of his way in chasing the MacNaughton Cup.

'If we're hanging around and we have a chance on the last weekend, great," he said. "I like where we're sitting overall. We're playing pretty well right now, but we've got to get these guys back from off the injury list. That's the most important thing for us.'"

Capitol Times, Feb. 16, 2006

"When the year began, if someone told me we would win the MacNaughton Cup and get a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, I would have taken it in a heartbeat,'' Gophers coach Don Lucia said.

Star Trib, Mar. 20, 2006

"Lucia, who long has stressed getting into the top three as the main goal for the regular season, doesn't sound like a coach who's going to go out of his way in chasing the MacNaughton Cup.

'If we're hanging around and we have a chance on the last weekend, great," he said. "I like where we're sitting overall. We're playing pretty well right now, but we've got to get these guys back from off the injury list. That's the most important thing for us.'"

Capitol Times, Feb. 16, 2006

Seems like Lucia is confusing his fans as to what exactly the company line is. ;) Next they'll be playing a meaningful third place game somewhere :)

Seems like Lucia is confusing his fans as to what exactly the company line is. ;) Next they'll be playing a meaningful third place game somewhere :)

From Grand Forks Herald, Nov. 11, 2003:

The Gophers have won five NCAA championships - and not one of them came in years that the Gophers won the WCHA regular-season crown.

It's perhaps a reason why Lucia doesn't list winning the MacNaughton Cup, the trophy signifying supremacy in the WCHA regular season, as one of the team goals.

"Our goal has never been to win the WCHA title, it has been to be in the top three at the end of the season and get to the NCAA tournament," Lucia said. "Then we'll take our swing."

And from the Don while he coached the CC Tigers:

"While it would be great to win the MacNaughton Cup (which goes to the WCHA regular-season champion) again, our focus all year has been to win in the playoffs,'' Lucia said. "We want to be at our best at playoff time.''

Pio Press, 2/9/96

"Our goal has never been to win the WCHA title, it has been to be in the top three at the end of the season and get to the NCAA tournament," Lucia said. "Then we'll take our swing."

This has been Lucia's attitude from the day he got hired at UM. He couldn't care less about winning the WCHA regular season title. All he talks about is the pairwise and taking a swing at the NCAA title come tourney time.

Any Sioux fan trying to prove otherwise is dead wrong because it's not true. In fact, I've never seen any coach so blatantly disregard the regular season more than Lucia. He's all about the post-season and he has made that crystal clear from day one.

noticed, didn't want to jinx it, especially when you look at how close behind Wisconsin and the rest are.

I am not worried about the Badgers they will be lucky to finish in the top 5, the Gophers are another thing.

But someone mentions later on, Minnesota doesn't win a national title when they win the league title. I will take a NCAA title over an WCHA title anytime.