SiouxSports.com Forum

Goaltending

GBpakrzz

I'm admittedly concerned about the goaltending this season if Lammy is out for any length of time. I'll leave up to the resident experts to enlighten me though. Do you guys think we have a goaltending issue or am I seeing something that isn't there? We have been lit up like a Christmas tree the past two weekends. One of which HAD Lammy in net. ;)

I'm admittedly concerned about the goaltending this season if Lammy is out for any length of time. I'll leave up to the resident experts to enlighten me though. Do you guys think we have a goaltending issue or am I seeing something that isn't there? We have been lit up like a Christmas tree the past two weekends. One of which HAD Lammy in net. ;)

early in the season. i'd rather have grieco get some experience now than possibly have to throw him into the fire later in the year if lammy goes down again. i'm not worried. the team defense will get better and as it does, the goals will go down.

Hak stated that the coaches will work with Grieco at controlling his rebounds which is normal for a freshman goalie. He has already shown that he is capable of the big saves so I trust in the coaches to have him ready to step in as required by the end of the season.

Lamoureux probably wont play this weekend. Its great for Grieco to get his feet wet. He is still only 17. I think he will be a stud once he starts feeling more comfortable. I am more worried about the penalty kill. They have given up a lot of goals this year. Once they straighten that out (and they will) they will be a tough team to score on.

If Walski is going to be treated as if he doesn't exist then why is he even on the team at all?

Isn't this one of the reasons that Ziggy left?

I still say that the coaches pick the man who has shown in practice that's he's the best choice. It's up to Walski to prove himself to them before being thrown in the 'fire'.

I really wish Walski could have played one of the two games at Mankato. With the 2nd and 3rd goalies both being as inexperienced as they are it only makes sense to give them both some playing time when the opportunity presents itself. If Walski is going to be treated as if he doesn't exist then why is he even on the team at all?

Walski is a practice goalie. The hope for every coaching staff, is that their practice goalies never HAS to play. Hopefully they get a chance to throw a game his way during an exhibition game somewhere. That becomes very difficult to do however, when your number 2 comes into the season with zero experience.

Walski is well aware of his standing on the team, and was told exactly how he is going to be treated by the coahing staff.

I agree that Walski should have gotten some playing time. I think he should transfer someplace where he will get to play more rather than languishing on the bench for 4 years. Back in the late 90's, Philion should have done the same thing. I thought that he was as skilled and as little as David Hoogsteen but maybe did not mesh as well with the lines that Blais had. I guess he had thought of transferring to SCSU or LSSU or some other teams in the CCHA but did not do so in the end even though SCSU, at least, wanted him.

I agree that Walski should have gotten some playing time. I think he should transfer someplace where he will get to play more rather than languishing on the bench for 4 years. Back in the late 90's, Philion should have done the same thing. I thought that he was as skilled and as little as David Hoogsteen but maybe did not mesh as well with the lines that Blais had. I guess he had thought of transferring to SCSU or LSSU or some other teams in the CCHA but did not do so in the end even though SCSU, at least, wanted him.

David produced, he scored often. Philion had trouble finding the back of the net, and needed to be more productive when he got the chance to get more playing time.

STOP with the stupid azz penalties and having the goalies taking shots like i was this last weekend at the bar ;) ...grieco got 2 wins bottom line. now gear up for st cloud. cut half of the penalties and the goals against should go down by 2 hopefully that we give up. it was grieco's 1st career starts. he faced many shots and stopped many as well. did he give up a few softies? sure, did he shut msu out both nights, nope but he got great wcha road experience and now hes coming home so lets see what happens.

also walski is a backup emergency/practice 3rd string goalie. 99% of these goalies will never see 1 minute of regular season game time so it is what it is.

IN GRIECO WE TRUST, for now ;)

A few years back I had the same opinion of Ryan Sofie that some of you have regarding Walski. If he was never going to play, why was he on the team? I was told (can't remember who told me) that Sofie was well aware of his standing on the team and enjoyed just being a part of the program in whatever capacity that was meant to be. Ziggy got caught in a goaltender's nightmare: Being one of three goaltenders who could have easily been #1. Ziggy is good but he wasn't going to get a shot with Phil and Jordan ahead of him so he left. I don't think Ziggy could have outplayed either Phil or Jordy anyways.

Fact is, there are a lot of good goaltenders coming through the ranks. Many of them not yet recruited. I'm not sure Walski could find another home that would give him a better playing opportunity.

Lastly, we all know what we'd like but none of us know what Aaron would like. Oh, I'm sure he'd probably enjoy the opportunity to play, no doubt, but other than that, maybe he's like Ryan Sofie and simply enjoys being part of the program?

I'd rather have the 3rd stringer be a walk on who has some credentials than be like SCSU a while back and simply had some dude from St. Cloud Tech suit up to back up their goaltenders. Walski has ahd some success and that makes me feel comfortable knowing that our boys are practicing against a decent goaltender.

Lastly, as Grieco is 17 still, I'm thinking that breaking into DI at 17 as a skater has to be much easier than breaking in as a goaltender.

Not trying to argue the point because I don't know the situation. I'll take your word for it, but it makes me wonder why would a goalie even accept that kind of offer. He isn't on scholarship and won't see any playing time, so what's in it for him to even be here? I agree with Chewey, he should transfer to someplace where he has a chance to play in a game. I would think a 22 year-old guy would feel pretty insulted to waste away on the bench behind a 17 year-old kid. I don't mean that as a knock against Grieco in any way, just that he hasn't really been around and paid his dues as of yet like Walski has. Grieco must be better based on the fact that he got both starts, but again that brings me back to why would Walski even want to stick around when he could probably be a #1 or at least a #2 goalie on some lesser teams.

Dave:

Sometimes you are comfortable with your role, sometimes you are progressing towards a degree that will be much more valuable than the number of starts you had as a reserve player (in any sport), sometimes you feel a sense of obligation to your teammates, sometimes you just love the game so much you want to be around it as long as you can, sometimes you have loyalty to a school/team/coaches who have given you the opportunity (even if it hasn't led to anything), sometimes you enjoy being around a program that is successful, advances to post-season regularly and has it's own set of rewards that are very intangible.

I guess Walski fits into one or more of these catagories. He knows his place. he could have not come back if he so chose. He's there by his own choice knowing where he stands. Let him enjoy that!

a 3rd string goalie knows exaclty what his role is when joining the team as a walk on first off. at a top d-1 level, there will always be that 3rd string goalie who just likes to be part of the program knowing he will likely never see a minute of action. it all depends on the person/goalie. im sure there are many of these types that go to a lower division to start every night but every school has a emergency/3rd stringer so there obviously are guys who just dont care and except their role. do some move on after a couple years? sure they do. matye they get that erge to go play but some stick around as well. every college sport has these types. basketball has the 13th man on the bench who pulls a 4.2 GPA to level out the team ;) and football has many many players that are pure practice players. walski is the backup now so if anything shall happen to grieco, then he's in if phil sure can't go....for now its grieco's team to back stop.

I still say that the coaches pick the man who has shown in practice that's he's the best choice. It's up to Walski to prove himself to them before being thrown in the 'fire'.

He is a practice goalie.

I wonder if Ziggy regrets leaving? Sounds as if he is the third goalie again. Are people going to say he didn't get a fair shake in Duluth too? I wonder if Ziggy is even dressing or sitting in the stands, I suppose he and the other back up get to help open doors on the bench.

It think its funny that people talk as if Grecio is a hack and a crappy goalie and Walski is getting an unfair shake. Walski is a practice goalie. Just because Grecio let in 9 goals this weekend many are ready to say he isn't good and we should give Walski a chance. I would be willing to bet Phil would have let that many in himself this past weekend like others have stated. It wouldn't surprise me if Grecio is one of the top goal tenders in the league either next season or the year after.

Edited by Goon

Trust me, you didn't want Walski playing this weekend. He's a walk-on practice goalie for a reason.

Grieco was ok last weekend. He gave up a soft goal in each game, but overall was decent. Most of the goals were powerplay goals or bad turnovers by the defense that led to breakaways. He made some fairly big saves, including a couple highlight reel saves. Things definitely could have been much worse for the Sioux considering the circumstances.

Trust me, you didn't want Walski playing this weekend. He's a walk-on practice goalie for a reason.

Grieco was ok last weekend. He gave up a soft goal in each game, but overall was decent. Most of the goals were powerplay goals or bad turnovers by the defense that led to breakaways. He made some fairly big saves, including a couple highlight reel saves. Things definitely could have been much worse for the Sioux considering the circumstances.

Phil gave up quite a few soft goals during the series at Maine. Briggs has had a whole career of giving up soft goals. Goalies from time to time give soft goals.

What I am thinking is that while Walski is possibly just the practice goalie, there is something about him that Hak liked or he wouldn't be on the team at all. I say that Hak is going to put in whoever he bloody wants and while I have ones that I like, he knows what is best.

IN HAK, GRIECO, WALSKI, AND LAMMY; I TRUST!

I wonder if Ziggy regrets leaving? Sounds as if he is the third goalie again. Are people going to say he didn't get a fair shake in Duluth too? I wonder if Ziggy is even dressing or sitting in the stands, I suppose he and the other back up get to help open doors on the bench.

It think its funny that people talk as if Grecio is a hack and a crappy goalie and Walski is getting an unfair shake. Walski is a practice goalie. Just because Grecio let in 9 goals this weekend many are ready to say he isn't good and we should give Walski a chance. I would be willing to bet Phil would have let that many in himself this past weekend like others have stated. It would surprise me if Grecio is one of the top goal tenders in the league either next season or the year after.

I'm guessing you meant "wouldn't surprise you". I'm going to guess, like a few people already, that Grecio won the starting job over Walski based on his performance during practice, i.e. he probably worked his tail off and battled for every shot and rebound. If he is a battler, and I have no reason to believe he isn't, then Lammy better watch out. He may be no. 2 again if he doesn't pick up his socks.

I'm guessing you meant "wouldn't surprise you". I'm going to guess, like a few people already, that Grecio won the starting job over Walski based on his performance during practice, i.e. he probably worked his tail off and battled for every shot and rebound. If he is a battler, and I have no reason to believe he isn't, then Lammy better watch out. He may be no. 2 again if he doesn't pick up his socks.

Yep your right thanks.

We are all spoiled by Karl and Parise, both Freshman who stepped in and played big right away. I am more worried about the undisciplined play then the play of goalies. Our Defense is making to many stupid mistakes (breakaways) and we are taking way to many penalties. It's early, but I wonder how much the loss of Brad Berry is being felt? We have to be near the bottom of the country in penalty kill, an area that prior teams have excelled at.