SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Mavericks

Sioux-cia

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, a shout out to Russ and Shawn (Sean?) who I met tonite having a beer at the Irish bar across the street from the arena. A couple of nice guys who enjoy their hockey. Hopefully they'll never sit by me again. They sat next to me for most of the 2nd period, and the Sioux were up 3-0 until about 30 seconds after they sat down. The second period went to hell in a handbasket after that. I went and sat by myself for the 3rd!

That was us! ;) Right back at you, and thanks for the great recap!

And to the Mav fans sitting in front of me and mocking Sioux fans for having only 2 cheers ("Let's go Sioux!" and "Go Sioux!", obviously mocking me and those around me), I have one thing to say. When you left with 48 seconds left you missed the 3rd cheer "BEAT THE TRAFFIC!". HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That one's for you.

I always love that one!

Is there a time where we'll see highlights of the game this weekend? I know theres the football show, do they do the same for hockey, I forget! If anyone knows, what time/channel/day? THANKS Go Sioux, bring on the cloud! ;)

I want to see that kick butt save we had, the radio announcers were freaking out how great it was! ;) Anyone?

Boy am I glad I made the game tonite. Thanks again NDH!

Someone asked what Hak said to the team before the 3rd period tonite. I don't know but I think this morning he asked "Would the real Sioux Men's Hockey Team please stand up!". And they did.

Like Hak said in the postgame, it wasn't perfect, but in my eyes this was a much better Sioux team than I saw last night.

Tonite the boys were much sharper. Passes crisp, mostly caught, very few dribbles off the blade, etc. Less fumbling around and not clearing the zone (except on the pk). The team did show some resiliency again by continuing to battle back after giving up goals to Mankato. I credit Porter for some of that.

I watched the 1st and 3rd periods from high up over the Sioux offensive zone and watched the 2nd from a few rows behind the Sioux bench. I thought it would be fun to watch the bench and see if there's anything interesting that goes on there during play. Unfortunately, that meant I couldn't see much that happened down in the Sioux defensive zone. But that's ok. It was fun to watch the bench for a while, because with a 3 goal lead you maybe don't have to watch everything that goes on on the ice. I didn't realize how short a time I'd have to watch the bench before it became very important to pay closer attention to the action on the ice.

Unlike yesterday, and from what I read about last Friday, I don't think the Sioux fell apart in the 2nd period tonite, other than they took way too many penalties. Something wasn't working on the PK and that really compounded the problem. But 5 on 5 I didn't think the ice was tilted in the Mav's favor the way it felt for long stretches last night.

Wow, I've read about Jonesy snapping last year and it makes me wonder if tonite was similar or not as bad or? When Morin? planted Bina in the Sioux net Jones just snapped. It was instantaneous. I know I was glad not to be on the wrong end of it. Once the linesman had him out of there I was very afraid of a possible suspension because he wanted to get back in and I was afraid he was going to do something really stupid to the linesman in the attempt. Fortunately he didn't. In a way it's fun to watch, but it's kind of scary, because he does appear to just lose it. The Mav had it coming, but Jonesy probably took it a bit too far, because of his extra roughing minor the boys ended up 1 man down, and that lead to the Finley slash and the Mav goal, etc. Personally, I was surprised that a 5 min fighing major wasn't called with a DQ. Glad it wasn't.

Mankato was called for a 2 minute CFB. I didn't realize that was an option. I don't recall the play exactly but I remember thinking at the time it wasn't much of a penalty, so it was probably reasonable.

Hakstol said there were no weak players in the 3rd tonite and from what I saw I'd have to agree. Really, for most of the game.

Finley played the puck better in his own zone, and in the first had a very nifty work-around of a defender to deliver the puck to a forward and create the rush. I don't recall exactly but it was early enough in the game that it might have been the assist on Kozek's goal. Finley sure was surprised to be called for the second slashing penalty. He didn't see that coming at all. I didn't see it so can't comment.

To borrow some baseball vernacular, I think Chorney would like to have that one back. I'm talking about the attempt to keep the puck in the zone on the PP that lead to the shorty. 4 Sioux players were all deep when that puck slid out to the high slot. Had Chorney successfully kept it in it would have been a great play, but it was a close call, and while Schlossman's blog said it skipped his blade (he was higher up than I so might have had a better view) to me it looked like he just didn't quite get there in time. He's got great wheels and nearly caught up with Morin to break up the attempt but couldn't quite get there. He took a good slash at Morin's feet and was lucky a penalty was not called.

Lee played a very steady game. I was surprised to find out he had 4 assists, not because I don't think he played that well, he did, I just didn't notice the plays he made. For instance, I thought it was Watkins who made the pass to Porter for the tip-in goal.

That was a very nice goal. That wasn't just a tap it into the open side of the net goal. The pass came from way out by the blue line diagonally across the zone to Porter who was open out in front of the crease. Porter had to redirect the shot high past the goalie. When he first touched the puck I thought "no way" but he made it work. Great effort by both players.

Speaking of "no way". I know why TH called that Mav goal and was then surprised that Grieco made the save. I was sitting almost in the exact same line than TH, except a little farther from the action, so we had the same perspective. When the Mav player cut across the crease with the puck you could see he had a good foot + of open space on Grieco's left side. You could see the Red Sea had parted and the Egyptians were sitting ducks waiting for the massive walls of water to close on them. As a fan we've all seen those situations, where you know the puck is about to be scored. There's no doubt. This was one of those times, yet AFTER he releases the puck, from no where (possibly not connected to his body) Grieco's big glove arm swoops down and covers the ice before the puck gets in. Are you kidding me?

Grieco looked much better tonite handling the puck than last night. I almost never had to go in search of toilet paper.

Watkins is continuing to impress me with his very strong overall play. Not a high scorer, maybe, but that line is probably the hardest working, and the best at cycling the puck. Watkins seems to know the right thing to do.

Martens looked solid tonite but not as exciting as I thought last night. But I don't think he had any glaring mistakes.

VandeVelde seems to be catching up to the game. IMO this was the best game I've seen him play so far. He seemed to play with more confidence and authority, and was one of the only Sioux really using his size and physical skills. I like how he is developing.

Miller had a very strong game. I think he's found a spot on one of those top lines. He didn't look out of place at all, and while Kozek might be able to fire the puck through a brick wall Miller seems to bring a bit more overall game to the table.

Kozek also had a good game, obviously. On a lower line he might find a little less defensive attention and more open space. It worked for him tonite, and he's a natural selection for the PP with his shot and a bit more open space to work in.

How about Martens on the 2nd PP unit? I didn't see that coming.

Bina had a very strong game, I thought.

Oshie had an excellent game. While he wasn't rewarded with a ton of points, he made great plays all night long. Sometimes his linemates just weren't able to convert, or these plays might have been the "keep it in the zone" or break up the Mav transition game, or whatever. His feed to Miller on the 2 on 1 was a thing of beauty. Against Bucky Oshie had a 2 on 1 with Toews and kept the puck and almost, but didn't score. This time, almost identical situation Oshie held the puck till the last instant, then saucered the pass across to Miller who pounded it into the open net. The goalie had no chance as he finally had to commit to Oshie, and the defender was prone having to try and break up the pass, unsuccessfully. In the first period Oshie was all alone on the right of the goalie and could and possibly should have shot, but noticed Duncan all alone across the crease. He fed the puck across and the result was another goal. Great decisions by Oshie.

After Finley's first slashing penalty, as Porter hopped off the bench to kill the 5-3, it appeared he turned to the team and told admonished the dumb penalties. After the goal was scored and Miller (who was serving Jonesy's extra penalty skated to the bench and seemed to rip into them for the same thing. At least that's how it appeared to me.

Forney's shoulder must be feeling ok. He wasn't afraid to throw his weight around. Just coming on the ice on one shift he met a Mav breaking into the zone with the puck and put his football skills to work and just bent over and put him down. It wasn't a crushing blow, but it destroyed the attempt. Later, when a Mav player hit Chorney? after the whistle and put him on top of Grieco Forney was the first on the scene and put that guy right down too. Then Chorney and Fabian got into it and Forney found himself outside the ruckus and didn't even get a penalty. Good to see him go to his teammates assistance like that.

Funny thing during that skirmish. Zajac was tied up with a Mav player. It looked like Zajac would look around and see if anyone was looking at him, and if not, poke the guy in the face with his left hand. He did this probably close to a half-dozen times. It was amuzing. I was waiting for the other guy to decide to go, but he didn't want to break loose, I guess.

Radke seemed to play a much better game tonite. I would have said that had he not scored either. He didn't look so much like the play was going around him. From the opening face-off when he planted a Mav player taking the puck into the UND zone along the boards, he seemed to be much more ready to play.

Finally, a shout out to Russ and Shawn (Sean?) who I met tonite having a beer at the Irish bar across the street from the arena. A couple of nice guys who enjoy their hockey. Hopefully they'll never sit by me again. They sat next to me for most of the 2nd period, and the Sioux were up 3-0 until about 30 seconds after they sat down. The second period went to hell in a handbasket after that. I went and sat by myself for the 3rd!

Cudos to NDH for continually starting the Sioux fans singing the "Ole Ole" song after Sioux goals.

And to the Mav fans sitting in front of me and mocking Sioux fans for having only 2 cheers ("Let's go Sioux!" and "Go Sioux!", obviously mocking me and those around me), I have one thing to say. When you left with 48 seconds left you missed the 3rd cheer "BEAT THE TRAFFIC!". HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That one's for you.

I must be living in a parallel universe or something. I go to 2 Mav games in Mankato. The Sioux win them both. The Sioux try to give them both away but still find a way to battle back for the win. All of the Maverick fans I ran into (with the exception of the above, and how bad is that, really?) were decent and good to talk to. This is not the normal experience for me.

To PCM, yes it appears I DID step up for Toews, like I promised.

To me, last night's win almost felt like a loss, because of the weaknesses that showed in the team. Tonite's win feels like a good win, because the team shows a lot to be optimistic about.

Thanks for the recap! I almost feel like I was there.....almost ;) .

I want to see that kick butt save we had, the radio announcers were freaking out how great it was! :) Anyone?

Dagies, what was the best thing about the weekend, or best things? Both of the game itself and anything that went on in the arena? ;) I went two years ago and had a great time.

I forgot about that, I guess I took it for granted because I live in the middle of nowhere and I still get cell service. I would die without text messaging. Poor Sioux-cia.

;)

There are two cell companies with cell service here but I will only be here three months and they insist on a one year contract.

My new temporary home still is without internet so I'm sitting in the Hampton Inn dining room right now. AND there's only food service after 5PM. So, I can't even eat my sorrows away.....

Dagies, what was the best thing about the weekend, or best things? Both of the game itself and anything that went on in the arena? ;) I went two years ago and had a great time.

The best thing about the weekend, after a Sioux sweep, were the good people, both the good friends who were with me on Friday night, and NDH, Russ, Shawn, O1grad and everyone else that I ran into Saturday night.

On the ice, it would be the play of guys like Martens, Miller, Genoway, Vandevelde, etc. I think they give us a lot of promise for the rest of the year. Lastly, the turnaround in quality of play by the Sioux from Friday to Saturday. Saturday was just a much better team effort. From what Hak said, cut down on the penalties, tighten up a little on the kill, and a little better goaltending and the Sioux would be very tough customers.

Am I the only one who thinks that the check from behind of a Sioux player into Grieco in the 1st (Saturday) and the Morin hit on Bina in the second were pretty much on instructions from Jutting? Not specifically, but in general? I think Jutting is a classless punk. Were I to meet him in person, I would have to fight the temptation to expectorate in his visage. I may prove unequal to the temptation. I for one would have like to have seen Jones beat Morin senseless, then throw his unconscious body on top of Jutting on the bench. Then tell Jutting that next time it'll be him.

Am I the only one who thinks that the check from behind of a Sioux player into Grieco in the 1st (Saturday) and the Morin hit on Bina in the second were pretty much on instructions from Jutting? Not in specific, but in general? I think Jutting is a classless punk. Were I to meet him in person, I would have to fight the temptation to expectorate in his visage. I may prove unequal to the tempation. I for one would have like to have seen Jones beat Morin senseless, then throw his unconscious body on top of Jutting on the bench. Then tell Jutting that next time it'll be him.

:););)

Back from Mankato. Both games were fun to be at, very frustrating at times though. Sioux fans were great. My favorite was the mocking of the ole chant after we scored. Sioux fans were very loud as usual, seemed to take over the arena at times. Surprised with the lack of MSU fans at the games. Over 1000 empty seats both nights I believe. Road sweep, now lets work on those 2nd periods.

Thanks for the recap! I almost feel like I was there.....almost ;) .

I was there for both games and I am telling you this, they need to start playing better hockey in the 2nd. I am sure this has been covered but both nights they looked like crap in the 2nd. Saturday was a much better game and I feel they played much harder and had more energy, but this team should never give up so many gials in 1 period. I was in shock and needless to say the other Sioux fans around me were equally has stunned. I just hope we play even better next week.

It was also great to see a lot of Sioux fans at the games.

Check this out.

Check out this blog article. Yikes.

I will say that's indicative of the Mankato fans I've bumped into down in Mankato in the past, but this weekend was a complete 180. A very enjoyable experience for the most part. I didn't walk all over the concourse, but I never saw ANY of the type of behavior this guy is whining about.

Am I the only one who thinks that the check from behind of a Sioux player into Grieco in the 1st (Saturday) and the Morin hit on Bina in the second were pretty much on instructions from Jutting? Not specifically, but in general? I think Jutting is a classless punk. Were I to meet him in person, I would have to fight the temptation to expectorate in his visage. I may prove unequal to the tempation. I for one would have like to have seen Jones beat Morin senseless, then throw his unconscious body on top of Jutting on the bench. Then tell Jutting that next time it'll be him.

Damned straight, DamStrait. You are dead on. Jutting is not far from the Gwoz in the world of punk coaches. If they weren't specific instructions, they were likely the result of an institutional blindness to cheap thuggery.

A sweep on the road in the WCHA is always a good thing. Mankato is a D-1 team likely capable of beating most anyone most any weekend.

The games were a blast. Great fun. Exciting hockey. Good seeing some folks, and thanks for the report Dagies. You keep an eye on the game, so I can keep one eye on the opposing fans who might be scheming to run a dagger between my ribs. There were one or two Mankato students on Friday who were real dickies. As a gal that we went with on Friday observed, Bunning ought to go on the road and see how classless students from around the league can be.

We handed out some Sioux beads to solid Sioux fans, and a couple of Sioux "seven star" pucks to young Mavericks' fans. I saw some little Mankato fan clutching a Mavericks game puck while sitting with his Daddy. I figured he'd like a Sioux game puck for his collection. I got his attention, and flipped him the puck. He looked at it, gave a dirty look to his Daddy, and flipped it back to me. Couldn't a been more than four years old. First time that that road arena gift, always extended in the spirit of goodwill and solid fan relations, had ever been returned.

At least the kid has integrity. Unlike the coach of his favorite team . . . .

You are correct DamStrait. Jutting is a punk, and he lets his attitude permeate through his players as well.

I will say that's indicative of the Mankato fans I've bumped into down in Mankato in the past, but this weekend was a complete 180. A very enjoyable experience for the most part. I didn't walk all over the concourse, but I never saw ANY of the type of behavior this guy is whining about.

I would say just the opposite, what about the Mavs fans that yelled Oshie you F'ing suck, right as they are about to sing the National Anthem. I just think that this guy suffers from National Title envy and of Course small arena envy.

I have meet nice Mavs fans and bad ones. On friday night a 10 years old girl with her parents right next to her came up to us and started bashing the Sioux and saying we suck and just being a brat. It was unbelievable. I wanted to slap her. Her Dad got up and came down three rows and stood in front of me so I could not see the action at the end of the game. He thought that was funny. I did not. Yet I meet some fans that were very nice and just wanted to watch some college hockey.

now that is some of the funniest sh#$ i have ever read. halarious ;)

It seems a little over the top and petty. I like going to like the WCHA final five just to drink with the fans of other teams. Last year in Tom Reids we drank with some Badger fans, these guys were cool very civil. I don't think most of us get in peoples faces, one because it is rude and its sports. I would be willing to bet this person was drunk and had a bad experience. Its also funny how Ralph is dead and people are still bad mouthing him, you would have thought he was Atilla the Hun or Tojo or something. The man did lots for Charity and loved UND hockey. You can't get anymore kind hearted than that.