SiouxSports.com Forum

Who do you want to start on Saturday?

Sioux Traveler

Who do you want to start in goal Saturday?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Starter

• Grieco
    • Walski

Who?

Grieco looked pretty good on Friday and I think he should get the start.

We have a goalie that 's forehead, does not hit the crossbar!!!

I would like to see Grieco get the start again, for his first game in the WCHA he did not do to bad. I think that nerves will be gone tonight and I think we wil be a little pissed that he let some easy ones get by him last night. I think for those reasons he might have a big night tonight.

I wanna see what Walski can do. I keep hearing about this 70-something save game that he had in high school... but I've never really seen him play. However, I think Grieco will start again tonight.

I guess I want the winning goalie to start, so whoever is gonna get us another W! :D

I believe that Grieco will be a goalie that challenges for the starting position by the end of the year. The more experience he gets under his belt the better. It would be nice to see how he bounces back and plays in a Saturday night game. I think Walski is a very capable goalie, watching him play for the Bismarck Bobcats however he didn't impress me as a D1 style goalie.

either or works for me. i voted for grieco as thats who i think will get the nod in net tonight getting the win last night. whoever is i net, we need to help him out a bit more and cut those penalties in half or it could be another nailbiter and easily a LOSS.

It's my understanding that the starting goalie is the one that did the best during the previous practice week. As much as it would be nice to give Walski a break, I think he has to prove himself to the coaches in practice berfore he starts any games.

Sorry, kid, but my vote is with Tony. We have to get wins under our belts before we start trying guys out in key games.

Was there last night. Grieco made some nice saves. Let in a softy, and left some juicy rebounds sitting out front. He was ok, but not outstanding. I say whoever Hakstol thinks is playing better is the guy I want to see on the ice tonite, should I drive down again. If Walski is out there, that tells me he's been practicing well. If Grieco's out there, that tells me that Hak believes he's a better goalie than Walski, and has shown that in practice.

You can't take much from warm-ups, I don't think, but based on last night I thought Grieco looked better than Walski, FWIW.

I was at the game. We need Walski to play tonight.

I don't know who said Grieco did OK, but he was aweful. I suspect that he wil improve, but he killed the team in so many ways.

3 of the 4 goals were weak at best.

He was consistently out of position and left huge openings.

He got beat many time where MSU didn't score.

He gave up a ton of rebounds in front on shots where there should have never been a rebound.

This led to 4 penalties where the Sioux had to X-check or hold to prevent a goal.

A better team would have scored 8 goals last night.

He does look to be a very good puck handler.

I didn't see anything that would make thing that Walski shouldn't get a start.

I don't know who said Grieco did OK, but he was aweful. I suspect that he wil improve, but he killed the team in so many ways.

He gave up a ton of rebounds in front on shots where there should have never been a rebound.

This led to 4 penalties where the Sioux had to X-check or hold to prevent a goal.

I can't agree with this. Two goals were on the PP as cross ice passes. He stopped two or three others like that. One goal was weak and the other one was a beatiful break-away goal.

He isn't a butterfly goalie, so he does give up rebounds. I thought he was kicking them out pretty far or too the boards. It did hurt that he couldn't cover the puck during the penalty kill.

like i said earlier, it doesnt matter to me who they play. bottom line the sioux have to quit taking so many damn penalties. he saved 34 friken shots so i wouldnt call that aweful by any means. it was his 1st career start in the wcha on the road and he got the win. so congrats to grieco. bottom line. grieco or walski, lets just play smart

I can't agree with this. Every time he tried to play the puck I had to excuse myself to find some toilet paper.

Lay off the Domino's... ;)

I don't thisnk he ever actually gave the puck away, despite oging after it amny times.

Saturdays game shows me that Hak doesn't really believe in Walski, and we will never see him play a meaningful game for the Sioux (unless th eother keepers are all hurt). ;)

Lay off the Domino's... ;)

I don't thisnk he ever actually gave the puck away, despite oging after it amny times.

Saturdays game shows me that Hak doesn't really believe in Walski, and we will never see him play a meaningful game for the Sioux (unless th eother keepers are all hurt). ;)

i agree that hak on playing grieco. not a stab at walski at all and he may be fine i the net but look around the nation and 99% of walk on goalies will not se a minute of regular season action. just reality. whoever we go with lets stop taking dumb azz penalties.

i agree that hak on playing grieco. not a stab at walski at all and he may be fine i the net but look around the nation and 99% of walk on goalies will not se a minute of regular season action. just reality. whoever we go with lets stop taking dumb azz penalties.

I seem to recall a few years back where we would have a new goaltender nearly every night so often that it was hard to predict who would start. Would it be Brandt? Siembida? Ranfranz? Sofie? I don't think Hakstol has it in for Walski, but I do think that, even if it is a rotation, it shouldn't be in a revolving door fashion like it was in 2001-2002 (or was that 2002-2003? I'm not good with dates ;)).

That being said, this past week Walski had an opportunity to step it up and outplay Grieco. I guess Hak didn't see it so he went with Grieco. Is this the end of the line for Walski? Dunno. Probably not. In some ways, I think a practice goaltender can be just as important as the #1 goaltender.

I seem to recall a few years back where we would have a new goaltender nearly every night so often that it was hard to predict who would start. Would it be Brandt? Siembida? Ranfranz? Sofie? I don't think Hakstol has it in for Walski, but I do think that, even if it is a rotation, it shouldn't be in a revolving door fashion like it was in 2001-2002 (or was that 2002-2003? I'm not good with dates ;)).

That being said, this past week Walski had an opportunity to step it up and outplay Grieco. I guess Hak didn't see it so he went with Grieco. Is this the end of the line for Walski? Dunno. Probably not. In some ways, I think a practice goaltender can be just as important as the #1 goaltender.

i think walski knows his role with the team. he is the 3rd goalie and a emergency goalie if need be. now he is the back up so you have to be ready no matter what because 1 little injury to grieco then walski is the man. you just never know. he is a solid walk on goalie that could probably drop divisions and get a shot to play every night but he obviously doesnt mind being the 3rd string here for now at least. we will see what happens after this season. but to be realistic he knew he probably would be 3rd string this year like last year so it is what it is.

Is this the end of the line for Walski? Dunno. Probably not. In some ways, I think a practice goaltender can be just as important as the #1 goaltender.

Walski will probably get to be here for another year, unless they steal a top goaltender recruit from Jr's.

Lets not kid ourselves, Walksi is a practice goalie like Solei is for the Goofers. There is nothing wrong with that and he had a better seat for the game than the rest of us.