SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. MSU-M

kr

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And once again, the Sioux get outplayed in the third period. They can't buy a goal.

Given the number of penalties, I'd say the frustration level must be running quite high.

Now that we have a goalie with a great save percentage, we have a team with no offense.

:0

This is just depressing.

It was miserable listening to the third period tick away with not a lot of pressure by the Sioux.

I can accept that you're not going to outplay a good team for the entire game, but that just makes it so much more important to score when you're controlling play, which they seemed to do for the first two periods.

Another solid goaltending performance wasted.

It's got to end sometime, doesn't it?

If you can't muster more than 1 goal in a WCHA game with as much importance riding on this series, and the implications it has on the rest of this season.....you are going no where!!!!

This is not the time of the season for excuses and reason why we didn't win.

Perhaps this team is too pampered with the arena, ammenities...etc. let's get some blue collar hard ass attitude and get back on track!!!!!!!

Preseason, I had picked the team to finish in the top 5, probably 4-5, and ready to really make noise in the '03-04 season. However, I did think that they could do better than win more than *1* &%$ing game past Tech. Unreal. Did these guys already book tickets to Buffalo? Don't they care anymore?

Two-a-day practices, anybody? "Gentlemen, this is a puck."

Pathetic. ;):0

And by the way, THEY ARE STILL MANKATO. They can't simply self-appoint themselves as THE Minnesota State University. They are no more prestigious than St. Cloud State or Moorhead State. (did that make me feel better? maybe a little...but not really). :0

We did not "self-appoint" ourselves anything. We do not claim to be THE Minnesota State University. We are Minnesota State University, Mankato. All of the schools of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system were offered the opportunity to change their name. Mankato and Moorhead chose to (yes, they are Minnesota State University, Moorhead, so your post is wrong on that count) and St. Cloud chose not to.

I don't understand why people get so wrapped around the axle about the name change. Fresno State University is now California State University Fresno. I'll bet they don't take half the crap about it that we do.

We did not "self-appoint" ourselves anything. We do not claim to be THE Minnesota State University. We are Minnesota State University, Mankato. All of the schools of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system were offered the opportunity to change their name. Mankato and Moorhead chose to (yes, they are Minnesota State University, Moorhead, so your post is wrong on that count) and St. Cloud chose not to.

I don't understand why people get so wrapped around the axle about the name change. Fresno State University is now California State University Fresno. I'll bet they don't take half the crap about it that we do.

Hey there idiot...I was just blowing off some steam after a frustrating loss. Take it up on your team's forum...if you have one.

Good point that the term "MSU" has a legacy in Moorhead. Lest non-Fargoans be confused, I submit the clarification that the school has made it a point to always call itself Minnesota State University-Moorhead ("Moorhead State University" appears completely purged).

Any continued use of "MSU", even though partly due to left-over culture, is nonetheless an abbreviation of MSU-M. If the new name did not share the same letters (i.e. suppose they changed to Kiork State), "MSU" would not be seen any more in these parts.

P.S. I can't quite remember: Wasn't it Mankato State University?

But we digress. I can't believe I came out from lurking for this. I guess I felt bad when mksioux jumped on a guest who took offense and submitted facts against his slanderous steam.

Take offense if you like kiork. I've had this argument before and I didn't feel like getting into the details. It's a tired argument and I don't much care about the issue.

But since you bring it up...

My point...mostly said out of frustration...was that Mankato is trying to self-appoint themselves as THE Minnesota State University. Yes, their official name still has Mankato in it, but you might never know it by talking with their fans or looking at their logos.

MSU-M's official athletic logo simply says "MSU Mavericks" (see uscho home page)

You can barely see the "Mankato" on their offical logo on their official website. Also "MSU" is used everywhere and I never see "MSUM".

They have worn an alternate yellow jersey that simply says "Minnesota State"

As far as their fans...go on to any thread on uscho involving Mankato and see how many Mavs fans use "Minnesota State" as opposed to anything regarding Mankato.

Do I really care? No. Like I said, I made the post after a frustrating loss. But my point stands. Don't think for a second that Mankato is not trying to be known simply as "Minnesota State University"

The difference between Mankato calling themselves "Minnesota State" and U of Minnesota - TC calling themselves "University of Minnesota" is obvious. UofM-TC is the undisputed flagship institution in the UofM system and is about four times as large as the next largest institution in the system (Duluth). Mankato is not the flagship institution in MnSCU and is no bigger than St. Cloud State. It's bigger than the MSU-Moorhead, but only by about a 12 to 7 ratio. Not to mention the UofM has over 100 years of tradition being called "University of Minnesota." Mankato has about 4.

I had forgotten about this little interesting incident last week in Mankato, Friday night.

The puck is in the Mankato zone. Don't remember if it was a Sioux PP or not. Mankato clears the puck down the ice, on net. Ranfranz stoops to stop the puck, and suddenly another puck is flopping through the crease. It looked to us like it popped out of his equipment. Now there are 2 pucks on the ice to the left of Ranny. He's looking around confused. Soon the refs figger it out and blow the whistle.

I was thinking, where the heck could that puck have been in his equipment where he didn't know it. Then a couple of minutes later they announce to the crowd if they throw another puck on the ice it's a Mankato penalty.

That's a new one for me.

You guys are confusing me. I am not sure what the city The Minnesota State University Screaming Eagles campus is located at, but I ma pretty sure it is not in Mankato or Moorhead! I am pretty confident that the University of Minnesota campus is located in Crookston with satelllite sites in the Twin Cities and Duluth. Please correct me if I am wrong.

dagies:

I was sitting right across from Ranny and I could have sworn the extra puck came out of his equipment, too. I may have mis-seen what actually happened because when I noticed that puck, Ranny was playing it. But someone sitting behind me said they'd seen it lobbed from the stands on the other side. Consensus of the Sioux fans in abundance sitting around me: low-down, dirty rotten trick. Nothing the Mankato crowd did was going to surprise me after that little show of sportsmanship. The Mankato fans must have been taking notes on how to be obnoxious from the Gopher bunch.

The Mankato fans must have been taking notes on how to be obnoxious from the Gopher bunch.

I hate the dirty rodents as much as anyone, but to be honest, I've never been given too much crap by Gopher fans when I visit Mariucci. It's actually pretty tame there. And I highly doubt the Gopher fans would be stupid enough to throw a puck on the ice during play. They may be arrogant, but they respect the game.

...wow, i can't believe i just stuck up for gopher fans. what's the temperature down there? :0