SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. MSU-M

kr

Okay -- this is a huge weekend for both teams. From the comments I've seen (check out the wcha site) MSU-M is hyping this series.

Some comments from the director of athletics of MSU-M "....little doubt we are skating the most important series in school history" this is MSU's men's hockey alumni weekend it is also their men's team senior night on Saturday night (a band will be playing pre game music)

They want to break all time single event attendance mark, and the attendance record for a series. "I absolutely expect a sellout on both nights.... I hope we can sell one or both games out in advance, which would be another first for MSU hockey." They are planning on a "whiteout" a regular snow storm of support for the Mavericks -- 5000 white hankies.

Previous top home crowds: #1 UND 2/26/00 of 5144 #2 UMN 11/9/02 of 5084 and #3 UND 2/25/00 & UMN 2/9/01 of 4931

The administration at MSU sounds totally pumped up, why not they are on a 14 game unbeaten streak - tickets are going, going, gone.

MSU is currently 10-5-7 in the WCHA

In GF it was a 6-6 tie and a 5-4 Sioux win. Overall UND holds a 13-5-5 record over MSU, HOWEVER in the last 5 games MSU is 2-1-2 vs. UND.

conference only goalie stats for the two (probable starters)

Jensen, a junior, 16 games (14 starts) is 6-4-5 for .567 win % 49 goals against and a save % of .897 gaa of 3.26

Volp, a sophomore, 9 games (8 starts) is 5-0-2 24 goals against and a save % of .904 gaa of 3.0

Wish I could be there ---- those of you going have fun maybe wear something other than white and bring your bright green Sioux hankies with. This should be a barn burner. While goaltending is important goal scoring looks to be the key (to me). I believe against UAA last weekend MSU gave up 5 pp goals (is that right?).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding scoring:

MSU (overall and in conference only play) has scored 8 less goals than their opponents in the 1st period. In the 2nd period (all games) they have scored 9 goals more than their opponents and 12 more goals in the 3rd period. In 3 of the overtimes they've played they've scored twice and have been scored on once.

Key -- jump on them early and then stay out of the penalty box in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

More fun scoring stats:

1st Period Lead

UND leading after 1st Period, 13-2-0

Mankato trailing after 1st, 5-3-5

UND's trailing after 1st, 2-4-3

Mankato leading after 1st, 3-2-1

Scoring First

UND scores first, 15-1-1

Mankato's opponent scores first, 7-5-8

UND's opponent scores first, 7-5-3

Mankato scores first, 7-2-1

And a few more of my favorites:

* UND outshoots opponent, 22-3-2

* UND is outshot by opponent, 0-3-2

* UND gives up 3 or fewer goals, 19-1-1 (both the tie and loss were Denver last weekend)

Shoot often and score early to win, who knew?

I agree that the guys have to take it to the net early and often. Certain fans whine about goaltending, or missing one player, but UND has traditionally done better when it plays a strong offensive game. Strong forechecking, solid physical defense and a stay-at-home goaltender should help. IMO Mankato has a nice record, and run, going but I don't see them as particularly deep or overly talented. They play hard, and they do what it takes to win. However, I think we can play with them and beat them accordingly.

I agree that the guys have to take it to the net early and often. Certain fans whine about goaltending, or missing one player, but UND has traditionally done better when it plays a strong offensive game. Strong forechecking, solid physical defense and a stay-at-home goaltender should help. IMO Mankato has a nice record, and run, going but I don't see them as particularly deep or overly talented. They play hard, and they do what it takes to win. However, I think we can play with them and beat them accordingly.

Not to sound snippy but the goaltending has been sub-par... Holy cow. Look at the stats.

I think UND needs to play tough defense, cycle the puck and play our game. Stay out of the penalty box if at all possible. But not to say that a fight might even help. Play smart and don't get involved in the after the wistle stuff that puts UND at a man disadvantage. David Hall be the crap out of Number 23 and the team responded well.

Considering what the Mavs PP did to the Sioux earler this year, I'm guessing the word has been given to the players to stay out of the box. No stupid penalties. If you have to take a good one, fine, sometimes you're beat and it's the best option. But no penalties 200 feet from your goalie.

I have a feeling that Prpich or McMahon will score this weekend, and I also think that Canady or Connelly will score this weekend. The time has come.

If you take out the Michigan Tech blowout, Bochenski has 4 points in the last 6 games. In the same stretch, Parise also has 4 points. Even more shocking is that Parise has 1 assist in the last 6 games, and 3 assists in the last 9 games (and that includes the MTU blowout). Either they're coming back to earth, or they're DUE, in a big way.

I never considered D. Hale to be great at moving the puck up ice, but we have to face facts, the Sioux simply aren't as good without him. In fact, Blais has said that, using their unpublished player scoring system, Hale is right up there with Parise.

Some of the offensive drought is probably due to the lack of a top calibur player keeping the puck moving in the right direction. I mean, our defense now consists of 1 senior, no juniors, three soph's, and 2 freshmen. You wouldn't expect a lineup that young to be able to hold the blue line, and lately they haven't been.

Having said all that, it is time for the forwards to play up to their potential. Several players have been on cold streaks lately. I don't believe we need Canady or Genoway to score goals. It seems more like we need Massen and Notermann, among others, to get back on track.

I like what Goon and forecheck have going here! I think this forum needs a little humor lately.

My thought on the goalie leaving the net...I'm all for it....just put the puck in the net at the opposite end......

Hat's off to both of you....keep the game alive....

I'd guess that Blais will have the team (and the goalie(s)) whipped into shape for the weekend! At least....I hope so :0 ....

From Dean Blais (via Virg Foss):

"Hopefully they're ripe for a defeat," Blais said. "If I were them, I'd want to lose now and not have that long unbeaten streak hanging over my team going into the playoffs."

Hear that Mankato? You should WANT to lose now so you don't have that annoyingly tempting streak hanging over you.

Hear that Mankato? You should WANT to lose now so you don't have that annoyingly tempting streak hanging over you.

That's right. The Sioux have gotten losing out of their system. It's time for the rest of the WCHA to step up to the plate. :0

From USCHO's weekly report:

"We're still fine. There's no time for panic," Blais said. "The big thing is with this time of year is being healthy and not playing bad. It's different if you're playing bad, but we're playing really well. You're going to win some of those and lose some.

--------------------------

This might be a little too nonchalant an attitude, but it basically is why I am not panicking. The key is turning the good play into points. If that happens this weekend, I think things will be fine. If it doesn't, then the comfort of "playing well" starts to sound too much like claiming moral victories. I'm pleased for Mankato that they are developing some passion in town for the program, but I hope the Sioux are playing the third period before a half-empty rink tonight.

Kato sounds fired up and this is their weekend (as well as their last series against CC) to prove their position in the league and winning streak is not a fluke.

Time for the Sioux to put them in their place, and get a lock on third place at the least.

Find it interesting the Denver's McKenzie is the WCHA defensive player of the week. Tackling paid off in the individual award category also (Caldwell, however, was much better at the tackling).

AC David Hakstol was on this morning with "Swyg Alone" .... pretty much same info from coaches show. David Hale skated lightly yesterday -- looking at the long term (effects) will determine amount of action he sees -- when he's ready he'll go in. Just David's presence (or lack there of) on the road and in the lockerroom has a substantial bearing on the attitude of the team.

MSU-M has some talented players who've really produce for them -- MSU-M has always been a lunch pail - hard working team.

Brandt and Ranfranz did both travel to MSU-M but no word on who'll see action tonight/tomorrow.

Get ready for some all star wrestling part deux. Mankato will run their mouth from the drop of the puck to the last wistle, Its UND's job to shut them for them... I wounder who the Mankato team will send out to goad a Sioux palyer into a fight (remember the MSU player #23 the one that Hale worked like a clown) Its UND's turn to give the fans something to chear about, MSU-M is going to be prime for the picking from their long unbeaten streak... Lets go Sioux... Lets kick some Mav ass this weekend...

I agree that it's crunch time for the team. There's alot riding on this weekend, not just points, but also momentum. It's time for the leaders and the top-guns on this team to get it going and realize that there's alot at stake right now. Jutting's done a fine job with Mankato, but if we play our game and work hard, and smart, we can get some points this weekend.

Even though it would probably be better for my Gophers if the Sioux were swept or split, I have to admit there is a part of me that would like to see the Sioux spoil Mankato's overhyped party. The way they are hyping up this REGULAR SEASON series is sort of a laugh to me. You'd think this was for the national title or something with the way those clowns in Mankato are acting. :0

What a bunch of dopes.

It's sink or swim time. I think this series will determine which team has success in the playoffs and which has an early end to its season. The Sioux need more than a split to get back on track. One point or no points will indicate that the team probably isn't likely to pull out of its nose dive.

I hope that Blais' talk with Bruce McLeod means that the Mavs won't be able to use Parise, Bochenski and others as tackling dummies. If the officials crack down on obstruction, the Sioux power play must convert on its opportunities. If the clutch and grab continues, other players are going to have to step up. I doubt that the Mavs will get away with tackling every Sioux player on the ice -- if that's how they choose to play it.

The Sioux must also stay disciplined. What nearly killed them when Mankato visited The Ralph was penalties. They'll need to be on their best behavior.

Yes, with the extra emotion that the mankato fans are bringing little would be sweeter than spoiling that party. I'll be there tonite and I want to see it happen. Plenty of Mankato fans had a good time at my expense a couple years ago during our 6-2 loss. Hopefully, this won't be Part II of that party.

I'm confident the team will be ready to play tonite. But so will Mankato. If Ranfranz can keep them off the board early I think the Sioux will have a good chance to pull out a win. What do I know. Anything can happen.

I do believe it will be a good game all around. Should be fun to watch.

I'll be there tonite and I want to see it happen.  Plenty of Mankato fans had a good time at my expense a couple years ago during our 6-2 loss.

I was in Mankato that night but not the next. Of course, the next night was a 6-1 victory.

I'm going to *try* to swoop into Mankato for one of the games this weekend. If we split, it'll be my fault and you'll know which night I managed to make it :0

As much as this series has been overhyped by Mankato, it's pretty key to the Sioux. Like PCM said, 0 or 1 points pretty much kills any playoff momentum we might have been able to build. Generally in these situations, they overhypedness in Mankato should work to the visitor's advantage. Of course, even if true, that would still require UND to show up and play to win. Sounds like Ranfranz get the start tonight. Should be a good one.

Jim,

I agree with you on the effect of the hype. Usually when a team makes a specific game/series into something bigger than normal, it can backfire because it may create a more tense situation for the team. You risk the team burning up a lot of energy during the weeklong build up and they could play flat. For a team like Mankato that really isn't used to expectations (and they have pretty much been under the radar a lot of the year), it may create a situation in which they are unaccustomed and it may hurt them.

But maybe they'll be the opposite. Still, if I were Jutting, I would try my best to make a series like this seem similar to any other series.

On the "hype", I'd also worrying about burning out too early. Granted, now is when good teams start to peak, but if this series is perceived as "the Series" by the players, they could be in for problems if they lose this weekend and then have to play CC next. If the Sioux take Friday in a blowout, I'd *guess* Mankato could be ripe for a sweep.

As Hammy, noted this much "buzz" can adversely affect coaches and players who are not used to their success, e.g., SCCC. :0