SiouxSports.com Forum

Hotstove

dagies

From the Western College Hockey Blog:

Michigan Tech scored with 3 seconds left in the game to beat Northern Michigan 2-1. That's a really disappointing loss for Northern Michigan. Tech outplayed the Wildcats though, outshooting them 39-19.

Minnesota cruised to an easy 7-1 win over Wayne State, as expected.

DU beat St. Cloud in overtime, despite being outplayed pretty badly. DU's (sorta)all-freshmen of Brock Trotter, Rhett Rakhshani, and Tyler Ruegsegger got off to a hot start, with Trotter scoring the first two goals of the game. That almost changed when Ruegsegger took a 5 minute penalty late in the game allowing SCSU to tie the game. But DU won the game in overtime thanks to a Pat Mullen goal.

Duluth opened up their season with a 3-3 tie against UMass-Lowell.

North Dakota and Wisconsin was the game of the night. Darcy Zajac scored in overtime to give UND a 3-2 win. The bigger loss for Wisconsin was Jack Skille, Ross Carlson, and Kyle Klubertanz, who are all unlikely to play tomorrow due to injury.

Woog picked SCSU to sweep and they nearly did. I'm picking SCSU over DU in the WCHA, so this game will hurt my prediction. Would like to have seen Duluth handle UML as I think Duluth will be a much better team this year than last. Nice win for Tech.

My favorite, however, comes from this Strib story:

With the Gophers already leading 5-1, Gophers freshman forward Mike Carman, charging hard to the Warriors' goal, knocked goalie Will Hooper into the net. Wayne State defenseman Taylor Donohoe, a 6-3, 205-pound senior, immediately decked Carman from behind.

In stepped Flynn, putting a vise grip on Donohoe, eventually ending up on top of him on the ice.

Afterward, Flynn shrugged it off as part of his role as a power forward. Gophers coach Don Lucia didn't shrug it off, the gleam in his eye showing just how much he liked what he saw.

So the gopher player plows into the opposing goalie, and the D makes Carmen pay for doing that. Flynn retaliates and Lucia approves. This from the man who complained that "every time there's a fight North Dakota is involved". I guess it's ok when your guy is on the winning side, but when your guy gets his attitude handed to him, then it's wrong.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dagies, after all these years why are you expecting fair and clean play from the Gophers. They don't try that stuff as often against the Sioux because most of them know they will get thumped if they do. We will miss Prpich when we play them this season but I can't wait to see Hextall give them the appropriate attitude adjustments in the coming years. :silly:

I think the goings on at Tech are significant. (Or it may just be wishful thinking on my part, because a consistently competitive Tech would make the whole league stronger.)

So, not only did they win with 3 seconds left, they outshot Northern, and they did it in front of 4000+ in Houghton. Rematch tonight in Marquette.

Talk about no love lost in a rivalry - Tech vs Northern is as bitter as it gets.

Dagies, after all these years why are you expecting fair and clean play from the Gophers. They don't try that stuff as often against the Sioux because most of them know they will get thumped if they do. We will miss Prpich when we play them this season but I can't wait to see Hextall give them the appropriate attitude adjustments in the coming years. :lol:

Please, the Sioux damn near led the league in penalties last year and goon plays year after year and you are ripping on the antics of the Gophers!!!!! Carman charged the net.....which players do all the time. Donahoe decked Carmen, sticking up for his goaltender, which he should do. And Flynn jumps in to help out his teammate Carman, this is a game after game occurance in the college hockey game!!! Lucia having a gleam in his eye? If we all had great hair like that we would all have a nice smile on our face!!! :silly:

This is hockey guys, not knitting!!!!

Please, the Sioux damn near led the league in penalties last year and goon plays year after year and you are ripping on the antics of the Gophers!!!!! Carman charged the net.....which players do all the time. Donahoe decked Carmen, sticking up for his goaltender, which he should do. And Flynn jumps in to help out his teammate Carman, this is a game after game occurance in the college hockey game!!! Lucia having a gleam in his eye? If we all had great hair like that we would all have a nice smile on our face!!! :silly:

KICK HIS AZZ, SEABASS

From the Western College Hockey Blog:

Woog picked SCSU to sweep and they nearly did. I'm picking SCSU over DU in the WCHA, so this game will hurt my prediction. Would like to have seen Duluth handle UML as I think Duluth will be a much better team this year than last. Nice win for Tech.

My favorite, however, comes from this Strib story:

So the gopher player plows into the opposing goalie, and the D makes Carmen pay for doing that. Flynn retaliates and Lucia approves. This from the man who complained that "every time there's a fight North Dakota is involved". I guess it's ok when your guy is on the winning side, but when your guy gets his attitude handed to him, then it's wrong.

Lucia's such a chickenpoop bastage. He'd be the first one crying if it happens to him.

That's what Sioux fans have been saying for years, only to get ripped on by people like Lucia.

That's exactly it, FHG. I have no issue with the play. I have issue with the coach whining about it when it happens TO his team, and smirking when his team does it.

Apparently Lucia is happy after having so many of the pretty boy type defensemen now he has a few that will do the dirty work, unfornuately if they try that type of goonery with the Sioux they are going to get thumped. They better practice against the lesser teams first. :lol:

Apparently Lucia is happy after having so many of the pretty boy type defensemen now he has a few that will do the dirty work, unfornuately if they try that type of goonery with the Sioux they are going to get thumped. They better practice against the lesser teams first. :lol:

Ppsssst! Carmen and Flynn are forwards! ???

Anyways, I agree with dagies. You can't have it both ways. If you are happy that this play happened, then you can't stand up and speak ill of the opposing team doing the same to you. Donohoe's action was simply standing up for his goaltender (Carmen ran the goaltender, which is really something that the Gophers have done a lot of in recent years) and Flynn came in to stand up for Carmen.

There are things I didn't like in this play (especially the running of the goaltender). I certainly hope Carman sat for doing that. But the rest of the play (Donohoe and then Flynn's reaction) should have been anticipated. I don't care too much about those actions. I just have no tolerance for running the goaltender. I think it should be enforced with as much vigor as the checking from behind penalty (without the 5 minutes and misconduct aspect).

Ppsssst! Carmen and Flynn are forwards! ???

Anyways, I agree with dagies. You can't have it both ways. If you are happy that this play happened, then you can't stand up and speak ill of the opposing team doing the same to you. Donohoe's action was simply standing up for his goaltender (Carmen ran the goaltender, which is really something that the Gophers have done a lot of in recent years) and Flynn came in to stand up for Carmen.

There are things I didn't like in this play (especially the running of the goaltender). I certainly hope Carman sat for doing that. But the rest of the play (Donohoe and then Flynn's reaction) should have been anticipated. I don't care too much about those actions. I just have no tolerance for running the goaltender. I think it should be enforced with as much vigor as the checking from behind penalty (without the 5 minutes and misconduct aspect).

I would be anxious to see if Flynn will challenge Donohoe face to face in tonights rematch. Or perhaps he is just another typical Gopher and will turtle in the face of a challenge.

Ppsssst! Carmen and Flynn are forwards! :lol:

Really oops., :silly:

Dagies is right, Don can't have it both ways. If his players are going to do these types of bush league tactics it the Goofers better be ready to eat some of what they have dished out. So if Lucia is going to use these types of said tricks like running over opposing goalies, people are going to run over Briggs. Ooh, I hope if UM tries these tactics against the Sioux Hak I am betting we would see one of our players run over Briggs. That being said we better not hear Lucia crying in his local rag about how teams aren't respecting their goalie.

Edited by Goon

Really oops., ???

Dagies is right, Don can't have it both ways. If his players are going to do these types of bush league tactics it the Goofers better be ready to eat some of what they have dished out. So if Lucia is going to use these types of said tricks like running over opposing goalies, people are going to run over Briggs. Ooh, I hope if UM tries these tactics against the Sioux Hak I am betting we would see one of our players run over Briggs. That being said we better not hear Lucia crying in his local rag about how teams aren't respecting their goalie.

Bush league tactics! Yeah, like the knee to knee hit put on Carlson by the Sioux goon last night that sent him to the hospital or the hit from behind that Bina put on the Badger guy last night, WHICH the commentators compared to the hit that Bina took from Paukovich in the Final Five game a couple years ago, but for the record wasn't even close to the hit Bina took.

You guys need to take off the Green blinders for a while here.

Bush league tactics! Yeah, like the knee to knee hit put on Carlson by the Sioux goon last night that sent him to the hospital or the hit from behind that Bina put on the Badger guy last night, WHICH the commentators compared to the hit that Bina took from Paukovich in the Final Five game a couple years ago, but for the record wasn't even close to the hit Bina took.

You are missing the point again. Your coach is the biggest hypocrite in college hockey.

FHG, that was NOT a knee to knee hit.

What game were you watching? Porter might have had the leg out, but the UW player deked to his left and nailed Porter's leg. Plus it was to the thigh, and not the knee.

When did Bina malisciously cross check a guy? Wasn't anything said on CSTV.

yes you are right on, wasnt even close to what kind of hit bina took...what a flippin joke if the anouncer said that.....just ask the kid who got hit is it was similar....wow....didnt see him on a stretcher to the hostpital.......they had 2 poeple in the hostpital...never want to see that at all no matter what team it is of course..........that hit was not called, i though maybe it would be as the ref was looking directly at the play so play on i guess....this is hockey and i love seeig the scrums and teammates sticking up for eachother...thats hockey.......lucia is just a funny guy....as soon as it happens to his team, he will say something..but really who cares i guess.......

so is frazee gona take the #1 spot with another win tonight or will briggs and him be rotating??

Which game were you watching? ???

This is what the Wisconsin State Journal said happened to Carlson:

Carlson, a senior who had 23 points last season, appeared to injure his right leg in the first minute of the second period. He was upended awkwardly by a defender's stick, skated to the bench and didn't return.

Bina did check a guy in the back and a penalty was called on him for it. But it wasn't even close to the hit Paukovich put on him.

yes you are right on, wasnt even close to what kind of hit bina took...what a flippin joke if the anouncer said that.....just ask the kid who got hit is it was similar....wow....didnt see him on a stretcher to the hostpital.......they had 2 poeple in the hostpital...never want to see that at all no matter what team it is of course..........that hit was not called, i though maybe it would be as the ref was looking directly at the play so play on i guess....this is hockey and i love seeig the scrums and teammates sticking up for eachother...thats hockey.......lucia is just a funny guy....as soon as it happens to his team, he will say something..but really who cares i guess.......

so is frazee gona take the #1 spot with another win tonight or will briggs and him be rotating??

As long as there are Long Island being made at a bar Frazee I don't think will he will ever be the starter! :D Briggs still has 1 game on his suspension so Frazee will get the knod again, but I think Briggs will be the main guy this year with Frazee getting his fair share as well.

As far as the argument on bush league players or not, that argument can never be won. But each team has their fair share of bush league tactics that are used at one point or another.

It might help you to watch the game a little. I mean, I know I've been wrong a time or two, but what you are saying is simply unbelievable.

In all deference to all who responded to this comment, the only hit that got close to what Fire Helmet guy has said is the hit Porter put on KLUBERTANZ, not Carlson. I read that Carlson's injury was a result of getting tangled up by his skate or his skate caught in a stick or something. Porter's check on Klubertanz was legal and it was NOT a knee-to-knee hit. If it was, that I'd surely expect Porter to have gone to the box. Regardless of who initiated the check, the contact was made thigh to thigh. And I know this is merely tit for tat, but the rules state knee to knee is a no-no, not necessarily thigh to thigh. A loophole? Quite possibly. However, for now, it was legal. I didn't like the hit, myself, but it wasn't bush league by any means.

And as for the Bina hit, which commentators were you listening to? I didn't get the Sioux Radio's take on it or CSTV's take on it. I didn't get UW Radio's take on it. But I did get FSN's take on it and they only said it was a hit from behind. A replay of the one Bina was penalized for clearly showed that Bina elbowed the guy and not checked him from behind. A good call by Shepherd, for sure.

But seriously, you need to take off your maroon and gold glasses if you think that what happened last night with Carmen and Flynn was "ok" and yet when it happens to your team it's suddenly not ok. That's the whole contention behind Lucia. Not that the Gophers are really Bush League.

I thought Porter also got him with his hip.

Bina was called for elbowing. I suppose without the elbow it may or may not have been called. The big difference is that the guy fell parallel to the boards. He wasn't close to head on. So it was no way close to a major penalty.

Speaking of Penalties and the Wisconsin announcers, when Brian Lee took that elbow to negate a power play (I believe) the Wisconsin (color guy I think) said he didn't see any elbow.