SiouxSports.com Forum

Hotstove

dagies

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Mr. Red Helmet,

Bina's hit was during play, was called, and he paid with a penalty. When Bina was injured, I was at the game, 8 rows up in front of the hit put on by Paukavich and he hit Bina after the whistle blew! A world of difference between what you think you saw last night and what happened to Bina.

As for having the blinders on, U bet your sweet A@# because its a Sioux Blog you fool!

BOBIWABUCHIFAN

It might help you to watch the game a little. I mean, I know I've been wrong a time or two, but what you are saying is simply unbelievable.

In all deference to all who responded to this comment, the only hit that got close to what Fire Helmet guy has said is the hit Porter put on KLUBERTANZ, not Carlson. I read that Carlson's injury was a result of getting tangled up by his skate or his skate caught in a stick or something. Porter's check on Klubertanz was legal and it was NOT a knee-to-knee hit. If it was, that I'd surely expect Porter to have gone to the box. Regardless of who initiated the check, the contact was made thigh to thigh. And I know this is merely tit for tat, but the rules state knee to knee is a no-no, not necessarily thigh to thigh. A loophole? Quite possibly. However, for now, it was legal. I didn't like the hit, myself, but it wasn't bush league by any means.

And as for the Bina hit, which commentators were you listening to? I didn't get the Sioux Radio's take on it or CSTV's take on it. I didn't get UW Radio's take on it. But I did get FSN's take on it and they only said it was a hit from behind. A replay of the one Bina was penalized for clearly showed that Bina elbowed the guy and not checked him from behind. A good call by Shepherd, for sure.

But seriously, you need to take off your maroon and gold glasses if you think that what happened last night with Carmen and Flynn was "ok" and yet when it happens to your team it's suddenly not ok. That's the whole contention behind Lucia. Not that the Gophers are really Bush League.

I don't understand what the big deal is. First off, I watched the whole UND vs. Bucky game and didn't see any "dirty" hits from either side. As for the Gopher game, I doubt anyone can really comment first-hand unless they were at the game(no TV). From the accounts I have read, Carman was charging the net, not running the goalie. That is a play that any fan wants their team to do but at all costs wants to avoid having done to them. Again, I don't think it was dirty, just aggressive. Finally, Flynn's reaction brought a smile to Lucia's face because it showed that he had Carman's back. In my opinion that pleased tDon because it signalled to him that this team may have more chemistry and comraderie(sp) than some in the past. Being a little soft was a consistent and realistic criticism of the Gophers recently, especially last year. You can be tough without being dirty, don't you think? :D

Bush league tactics! Yeah, like the knee to knee hit put on Carlson by the Sioux goon last night that sent him to the hospital

You guys need to take off the Green blinders for a while here.

I believe it was a knee to thigh hit and after watching the replay of the hit, it didn't look like Porter did it intentionally. Porter isn't that type of player.

??? Green blinders, I believe this is a Sioux page so most of us are going to see the world from a green and white perspective.

I believe it was a knee to thigh hit and after watching the replay of the hit, it didn't look like Porter did it intentionally. Porter isn't that type of player.

:huh: Green blinders, I believe this is a Sioux page so most of us are going to see the world from a green and white perspective.

And what a beautiful position to be in. Imagine if you or I was a BADger or UMN-TC fan.

Bush league tactics! Yeah, like the knee to knee hit put on Carlson by the Sioux goon last night that sent him to the hospital or the hit from behind that Bina put on the Badger guy last night, WHICH the commentators compared to the hit that Bina took from Paukovich in the Final Five game a couple years ago, but for the record wasn't even close to the hit Bina took.

You guys need to take off the Green blinders for a while here.

If you don't approve - stay away - you won't be missed

I don't understand what the big deal is. First off, I watched the whole UND vs. Bucky game and didn't see any "dirty" hits from either side. As for the Gopher game, I doubt anyone can really comment first-hand unless they were at the game(no TV). From the accounts I have read, Carman was charging the net, not running the goalie. That is a play that any fan wants their team to do but at all costs wants to avoid having done to them. Again, I don't think it was dirty, just aggressive. Finally, Flynn's reaction brought a smile to Lucia's face because it showed that he had Carman's back. In my opinion that pleased tDon because it signalled to him that this team may have more chemistry and comraderie(sp) than some in the past. Being a little soft was a consistent and realistic criticism of the Gophers recently, especially last year. You can be tough without being dirty, don't you think? ???

You are arguing a point that I don't think anyone is arguing against. I don't see what's the problem with Flynn standing up for Carmen or Donohoe standing up for his goaltender either. I don't see why Lucia can't be proud of it either.

However, Lucia has gone on record stating that, whenever things like this has happened to his team (Team A knocks Briggs/Gophre goaltender down while "crashing the net", Gopher D retaliates, Team A takes exception) Lucia always seemed to speak poorly of the Team A in my scenario.

I agree that Lucia should be proud that his team is showing chemistry, but he should be the last one to complain if his opposing team shows they have chemistry in a similar fashion against the Gophers. That's what I'm saying. And so far, I don't see Lucia being able to do that.

I don't understand what the big deal is. First off, I watched the whole UND vs. Bucky game and didn't see any "dirty" hits from either side. As for the Gopher game, I doubt anyone can really comment first-hand unless they were at the game(no TV). From the accounts I have read, Carman was charging the net, not running the goalie. That is a play that any fan wants their team to do but at all costs wants to avoid having done to them. Again, I don't think it was dirty, just aggressive. Finally, Flynn's reaction brought a smile to Lucia's face because it showed that he had Carman's back. In my opinion that pleased tDon because it signalled to him that this team may have more chemistry and comraderie(sp) than some in the past. Being a little soft was a consistent and realistic criticism of the Gophers recently, especially last year. You can be tough without being dirty, don't you think? :D

The discussion isn't that it was a dirty play on the Gophers part. Just that the Don would be the first to be screaming bloody murder if the Sioux had done that same play.

You are arguing a point that I don't think anyone is arguing against. I don't see what's the problem with Flynn standing up for Carmen or Donohoe standing up for his goaltender either. I don't see why Lucia can't be proud of it either.

However, Lucia has gone on record stating that, whenever things like this has happened to his team (Team A knocks Briggs/Gophre goaltender down while "crashing the net", Gopher D retaliates, Team A takes exception) Lucia always seemed to speak poorly of the Team A in my scenario.

I agree that Lucia should be proud that his team is showing chemistry, but he should be the last one to complain if his opposing team shows they have chemistry in a similar fashion against the Gophers. That's what I'm saying. And so far, I don't see Lucia being able to do that.

That's because you, like every other Sioux fan, only hears what you want to hear when Lucia speaks. The truth is he doesn't complain any more than the average college hockey coach. You guys are right that this is a Sioux board and you can be as biased as you want but you people are so far from being objective about Lucia it's not even funny.

The most ridiculous part about this thread is none of you even saw the play and you're assuming it was dirty. And then you have the nerve to assume you know what Lucia would say if the roles were reversed. Are you all psych majors or something? Goalies get knocked down all the time in hockey and the vast majority of those times it's just a good, aggressive, clean play. Lucia liked the fact that his players stuck up for each other and you people make a federal case about it. :)

That's because you, like every other Sioux fan, only hears what you want to hear when Lucia speaks. The truth is he doesn't complain any more than the average college hockey coach. You guys are right that this is a Sioux board and you can be as biased as you want but you people are so far from being objective about Lucia it's not even funny.

The most ridiculous part about this thread is none of you even saw the play and you're assuming it was dirty. And then you have the nerve to assume you know what Lucia would say if the roles were reversed. Are you all psych majors or something? Goalies get knocked down all the time in hockey and the vast majority of those times it's just a good, aggressive, clean play. Lucia liked the fact that his players stuck up for each other and you people make a federal case about it. :)

at least you are entertaining, kind of, well not really :lol: a federal case? wow, didnt know it reached that. why do you only pop up from your hole when you only disagree with someone. why not engage in any other stuff on this board and be normal like some of your fellow gophs fans that visit here?? theres a concept..... ;)

but its all in god fun right sieve :lol:

FHG wears the gopher halo over his helmet :lol:

Ya DAMN right! :):lol:

Buckyseive does bring up a good point, how many of you actually saw the play by Carman crashing the net. I am not saying it was right what he did or even clean but unless we saw it a person can't really speculate either. I talked to a friend of mine (Cardinal) who said it was clean (but then again we all wear maroon and gold colored glasses as well ;) ).

I did see the Sioux-Badger game on CSTV on Friday night, and like I said when they compared the hit that Bina put on the Badger guy to the hit that he took from Paukovich I really did laugh my ass off, because it wasn't even close, Bina's hit from Pauko' was totally malicious. Those guys on CSTV were pretty comical to listen too, you can tell they don't really know the college game very well.

Look at the language describing Carman's actions, "goonery", "bush league tactics", "running the goaltender". All from people that I assume never saw the play. There is a big difference between charging hard to the net (the way Carman's actions were described) and running a goaltender with intent to inflict physical harm. Some posters assumed Carman did the latter without any evidence. Especially you RedWing, you hoped that he got sat and went on a rant about running the goaltender. Did you see the play?

As for Lucia, IMO he is not different than any other coach on this matter. No coach enjoys watching his tender take hits, even if they are clean.

Look at the language describing Carman's actions, "goonery", "bush league tactics", "running the goaltender". All from people that I assume never saw the play. There is a big difference between charging hard to the net (the way Carman's actions were described) and running a goaltender with intent to inflict physical harm. Some posters assumed Carman did the latter without any evidence. Especially you RedWing, you hoped that he got sat and went on a rant about running the goaltender. Did you see the play?

As for Lucia, IMO he is not different than any other coach on this matter. No coach enjoys watching his tender take hits, even if they are clean.

Going back to the original point, Lucia whines, after McMahon beats up Vannelli, that the Sioux are the ones who are always involved in fighting. Then after Flynn apparently wrestles a Wayne State player to the ground (for protecting his own goaltender), Lucia is happy about the "grit" that he showed.

You can't have it both ways. I wonder what Motzko will say if Flynn does the same thing against SCSU, considering he holds Lucia's "former" opinion on the matter.

Funny, buckysieve, but I could have sworn that on another thread recently, I was ridiculed by a Gopher fan for using the word "every" in describing Gopher fans that I know or met recently when discussing the subject of a certain Gopher-turned-Bruin. Hmnnnnn...

You're the homer-typical Gopher fan who turns a blind eye to any would-be penalty on the Gophers, then screams his head off four seconds later when you think a penalty should be called on the opponent.

This conversation is much ado about nothing.

You're right about that, sagard. I think the biggest question about this past weekend is why the Gophers would schedule a patsy like Wayne State so early in the season. Isn't that the type of fodder usually reserved for the Mariucci "Classic"? :)

Funny, buckysieve, but I could have sworn that on another thread recently, I was ridiculed by a Gopher fan for using the word "every" in describing Gopher fans that I know or met recently when discussing the subject of a certain Gopher-turned-Bruin. Hmnnnnn...

You're the homer-typical Gopher fan who turns a blind eye to any would-be penalty on the Gophers, then screams his head off four seconds later when you think a penalty should be called on the opponent.

buckysieve = Frank Masucko? :lol::)

Funny, buckysieve, but I could have sworn that on another thread recently, I was ridiculed by a Gopher fan for using the word "every" in describing Gopher fans that I know or met recently when discussing the subject of a certain Gopher-turned-Bruin. Hmnnnnn....

1. You were not ridiculed - I said that I personally take "every" type statements with a grain of salt. It was a matter of fact statement that in no way was an attack.

2. If buckysieve made an "every" comment about Sioux fans I feel the same way about such a comment, even if from a Gopher fan made about Sioux fans. "Every Sioux fan" doesn't fly with me. There are plenty of great Sioux fans here, at USCHO and elsewhere.

Despite the fact we cheer for opposing teams, we all enjoy the greatest brand of hockey on the planet imho and in that regard we're more alike than different. I was just thinking the other day about why for some people (not you Mafia, I'm talking more in general) feel a need to become so divisive when it comes to cheering for their own teams and when discussing their opponents. Yes, I've been guilty of tossing around the "Halo" label but 99% of the time it's been made in jest and not meant to put anyone down. Honestly.

There are dick Sioux fans and there are dick Gopher fans and I simply will never comprehend people that argue, "we're better than..." because it's a bunch of crap. When I first started visiting USCHO there were a few Sioux fans that irritated me and after a while I realized that it's not worth getting upset over. SIM is about as lame as it gets, but I can think of at least one Gopher fan at USCHO that probably pisses everyone off so there's no point in trying to pretend this street doesn't run both ways.

I realize such arguments always have and always will exist. I'm probably not being realistic and perhaps I'm simply getting too old I don't know. :) I guess what I'm really trying to get across is that when people ask, "why do you post at ss.com?" my answer is, "I like college hockey". Period. I don't see reason why fans can't dislike an opposing team without hating them. If I were by myself at a bar watching a hockey game and a Sioux fan was sitting next to me, would I not be able to amicably discuss the sport without it being an issue? If so, why can't I do the same on the internet?

/off soapbox

1. You were not ridiculed - I said that I personally take "every" type statements with a grain of salt. It was a matter of fact statement that in no way was an attack.

SIM is about as lame as it gets, but I can think of at least one Gopher fan at USCHO that probably pisses everyone off so there's no point in trying to pretend this street doesn't run both ways.

If I were by myself at a bar watching a hockey game and a Sioux fan was sitting next to me, would I not be able to amicably discuss the sport without it being an issue? If so, why can't I do the same on the internet?

Some pretty good points, Slap Shot. Are you SURE you're a Gopher fan? :)

Ridiculed might have been a bit of a stretch, but I didn't consider it an attack. It's a message board...feel free to agree or disagree with comments.

As far as the one Gopher fan on USCHO...that wouldn't be Hammy, would it?

Your third comment about being at a bar and sitting next to a Sioux fan...I agree totally. I wear an item of Sioux clothing at the MN State Fair...it's impossible not to run into a fan wearing Gopher clothing. I had good discussions with all, none of which ended in fisticuffs.

Going back to the original point, Lucia whines, after McMahon beats up Vannelli, that the Sioux are the ones who are always involved in fighting. Then after Flynn apparently wrestles a Wayne State player to the ground (for protecting his own goaltender), Lucia is happy about the "grit" that he showed.

You can't have it both ways. I wonder what Motzko will say if Flynn does the same thing against SCSU, considering he holds Lucia's "former" opinion on the matter.

Remembering back, Lucia needed to whine given the weanie team that refused to go to the net in the final five (course that was a meaninless third place game), then the frozen four, with Greene, Jones, Schneider, and Smaby hanging out in the crease. Certainly he had to hope the Sioux were forced to play no contact hockey also.

Remembering back, Lucia needed to whine given the weanie team that refused to go to the net in the final five (course that was a meaninless third place game), then the frozen four, with Greene, Jones, Schneider, and Smaby hanging out in the crease. Certainly he had to hope the Sioux were forced to play no contact hockey also.

Apparently, Don likes more proactive goaltenders (i.e. Adam "Slash" Hauser in the 2002 NCAA title game).