SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Augie - Game Thread

SiouxMD

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW. That was darned lucky. Lots of dumb moves (from my football-uneducated mind). I don't know if I would have run an option play on 3rd down on the goalline. I would probably have done something like a toss sweep or something that takes the play AWAY from the pile. Oh well, what do I know. I only listened to it on the radio.

I have to agree. I'd rather see the bubble screen in that situation that a play we might run once every four games.

Let's face it, the Sioux got away with one today. They turned the ball over when about to score and they managed to block two field goals to end the game. That doesn't happen very often.

The defense is starting to worry me. Two weeks in a row we've given up way too many big plays and aren't getting the pressure. I think teams have figured something out. Not a good thing when facing teams like USD and UMD.

HockeyMom,

If that is what it has come down to, then it's time to put in Danny Freund until Manke is 100% again. I don't care if he is a sophomore, let him learn from his mistakes on the job. Run the ball more and let the defense and special teams carry more of the load. Anything is better than the crap that went on today. If we go down to Omaha and do this, we'll lose by three touchdowns.

I agree with you 1,000,000%. :silly:

The defense is starting to worry me. Two weeks in a row we've given up way too many big plays and aren't getting the pressure. I think teams have figured something out. Not a good thing when facing teams like USD and UMD.

Smoggy,

It's tough to replace the seniors we lost last year. I think the defense will get better as the season goes on. Bobby Stroup will be a monster linebacker for us as soon as he learns the value of discipline and self-control (more bad penalties today).

HockeyMom,

If that is what it has come down to, then it's time to put in Danny Freund until Manke is 100% again. I don't care if he is a sophomore, let him learn from his mistakes on the job. Run the ball more and let the defense and special teams carry more of the load. Anything is better than the crap that went on today. If we go down to Omaha and do this, we'll lose by three touchdowns.

Hold on there...

I don't like what we're getting from Belmore but Belmore isn't a bad QB, he's just horrifically inconsistent. One moment he'll do something incredibly stupid (option play) and the next he'll do something smart (bubble play audible he called on the preceeding play). Letting Freund out onto the field may or may not be a complete disaster for the Sioux. Like it or not, Belmore's bad play hasn't yielded a loss, yet. Undoubtedly it will happen if he continues to play this poorly, but the answer isn't necessarily to bench him completely. The team needs Manke healthy. That's obvious. But pulling a Chicago Bears a few years back (everyone and their mother played QB that year) isn't the answer either.

Either way, Belmore's days as a #1 QB for the Sioux get smaller the closer to health Manke gets.

Hold on there...

I don't like what we're getting from Belmore but Belmore isn't a bad QB, he's just horrifically inconsistent. One moment he'll do something incredibly stupid (option play) and the next he'll do something smart (bubble play audible he called on the preceeding play). Letting Freund out onto the field may or may not be a complete disaster for the Sioux. Like it or not, Belmore's bad play hasn't yielded a loss, yet. Undoubtedly it will happen if he continues to play this poorly, but the answer isn't necessarily to bench him completely. The team needs Manke healthy. That's obvious. But pulling a Chicago Bears a few years back (everyone and their mother played QB that year) isn't the answer either.

Either way, Belmore's days as a #1 QB for the Sioux get smaller the closer to health Manke gets.

He needs to sit down, he can be Freunds backup next week. Freund might make some mistakes, but at least you will be getting a guy prepared to play next season and I am confident he is more of a football player and playmaker compared to a Belmore who is a QB with great skills that craps his pants every other play. I look at him being more along the lines of Manke in the style he plays.

Also remember how reluctant the UND coaches where to even give Manke a shot to play over Belmore. He is a far better QB and never would have touched the field at UND as long as Belmore OK. Only they huge screw ups each week at the end of last season game Manke a shot and that is very disappointing to me. It seems the UND coaches are a little blinded when in comes to certain players on the team.

Hold on there...

I completely disagree, the only reason we were in the game today was because of the running game. I am 40 lbs overwieght and I think I could manage to hand the ball off to our backs as well as Belmore. I could also one-hop many throws to Dressler and crew with ease. How hard can it be to make about 50% of our plays look like a busted play, roll out, and then miss all receivers by 10 yards. Todays game (and last weeks game) has been a near repeat of the UNO game last year. I admire your confidence in Belmore, but think its time to give Chris a chance to be an All-NCC statistician. I think Freund should be given the nod if Manke is not healthy.

Smoggy,

It's tough to replace the seniors we lost last year. I think the defense will get better as the season goes on. Bobby Stroup will be a monster linebacker for us as soon as he learns the value of discipline and self-control (more bad penalties today).

I agree with you fully.

All I'm getting at is that we need to quit giving up the big pass plays.

I completely disagree, the only reason we were in the game today was because of the running game. I am 40 lbs overwieght and I think I could manage to hand the ball off to our backs as well as Belmore. I could also one-hop many throws to Dressler and crew with ease. How hard can it be to make about 50% of our plays look like a busted play, roll out, and then miss all receivers by 10 yards. Todays game (and last weeks game) has been a near repeat of the UNO game last year. I admire your confidence in Belmore, but think its time to give Chris a chance to be an All-NCC statistician. I think Freund should be given the nod if Manke is not healthy.

WHOA!!!

Who said I had confidence in Belmore? I think he, as Big Game stated in his post, has great skills but he is horrifically inconsistent (Big Game's words were better, but...). However, I'm not in favor of parking his backside on the bench for the duration of his senior year either. Manke and Belmore started the year platooning. Well, until Manke is healthy, I think the same system should occur with Belmore and Freund. That way maybe Belmore won't be as readable and Freund will get valuable playing time?

We all play coaches on TV?

But I will put my Trust in Dale and his Staff, They obviously feel that Freund is Not Ready yet..?

Belmore has a very bad confidence problem and is very inconsisitent at times but remains , Like 24-4 as a starter...Alot of schools would drool over that...

Manke is the Leader the Team has Chosen, he needs to get back , but back Healthy, I do not risk him at Mankato, Because WE NEED HIM AT UNO!.. But that is not my decision..

I get real tired of people throwing players under the Bus for a bad decision here and there...Chris Belmore has make a outstanding contribution to UND Football...

As has alot of UND Student athletes...It seems when the next guy in line is better, Our Coaching Staff always finds a way to get them their time on the field, But it is a overall team sport 11 guys executing at once no break downs...And it takes around 75-100 to make the TEAM a TEAM...Go to practice sometime.

Anyway...Lucky Win...GO SIOUX!~

I agree with you fully.

All I'm getting at is that we need to quit giving up the big pass plays.

Smoggy,

You are right, I am getting sick and tired of big pass completions against our defense on 3rd and long. It seems that if we don't get pressure on the quarterback, we give up 10, 15, 20 yards through the air. That has to stop. Central Washington did it, Western Washington did it and now Augie has done it. I shudder to think of what South Dakota will be able to accomplish. :silly:

Smoggy,

You are right, I am getting sick and tired of big pass completions against our defense on 3rd and long. It seems that if we don't get pressure on the quarterback, we give up 10, 15, 20 yards through the air. That has to stop. Central Washington did it, Western Washington did it and now Augie has done it. I shudder to think of what South Dakota will be able to accomplish. :silly:

Speaking of USD...

USD 00

UCA 24

6:43 4th

But I will put my Trust in Dale and his Staff, They obviously feel that Freund is Not Ready yet..?

Belmore has a very bad confidence problem and is very inconsisitent at times but remains , Like 24-4 as a starter...Alot of schools would drool over that...

Manke is the Leader the Team has Chosen, he needs to get back , but back Healthy, I do not risk him at Mankato, Because WE NEED HIM AT UNO!.. But that is not my decision..

I get real tired of people throwing players under the Bus for a bad decision here and there...Chris Belmore has make a outstanding contribution to UND Football...

As has alot of UND Student athletes...It seems when the next guy in line is better, Our Coaching Staff always finds a way to get them their time on the field, But it is a overall team sport 11 guys executing at once no break downs...And it takes around 75-100 to make the TEAM a TEAM...Go to practice sometime.

Hey Walrus, can I use that speach before a big game? You pumped me up and sent a tingle down my spine! (In a non-sexual way..........Not that their is anything wrong with that)

Sure...LOL That is not even my best speech...

I've said it before, and I will again we are spoiled at UND with Sioux Sports..

In my 25 plus years in town.. If you add up Mens Football, Basketball, Hockey, Womens Basketball. Our four Major Sports...

In Over 100 Seasons.... I think we have had less than 15 below .500 mark... :silly:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have to laugh at all those calling for Freund. Belmore made enough plays to get the W against a tough NCC opponent on the road. If fact, he has won a number of HUGE games in his career. Give me a senior with experience over a green horn anyday. Sioux will be fine with Belmore at the helm until Manke is ready to return.

Sure...LOL That is not even my best speech...

I've said it before, and I will again we are spoiled at UND with Sioux Sports..

In my 25 plus years in town.. If you add up Mens Football, Basketball, Hockey, Womens Basketball. Our four Major Sports...

In Over 100 Seasons.... I think we have had less than 15 below .500 mark... :silly:

If you are saying that we have high standards for our teams, you are right. And that is how I like it.

I think it's better to have high standards and not always reach them instead of having low standards that are always reachable. Look at football, for example. Ten years ago, just winning the conference and making the playoffs was considered a successful season. Now, if we aren't competing for the national championship, it's not good enough. December 8th, 2001 changed everything. It set the standard for the program to the highest level possible. As a result, people (like myself) get all bent out of shape over our quarterback throwing interceptions and almost costing us one game. We have high standards, we want to compete at a national level. And what happened today can't happen if you are going to be #1 at the end of the season.

Hockey is the same way, we are always looking for the next national championship. Ditto for Women's Basketball; that 34-1 record without a national championship just isn't the same.

Do we lose perspective? Yes. Are our expectations a little out of whack sometimes? Yes. But I would rather have it that way then have an athletic department that was satisfied with barely winning seasons and the occasional playoff berth. I know I wouldn't get up for the sports season if that was the attitude of the A.D. and coaches.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have to laugh at all those calling for Freund. Belmore made enough plays to get the W against a tough NCC opponent on the road. If fact, he has won a number of HUGE games in his career. Give me a senior with experience over a green horn anyday. Sioux will be fine with Belmore at the helm until Manke is ready to return.

Sorry 7>4, but Belmore did not "win" this game, the team won "despite" him. I've been a Belmore backer for a long time, but today was the last straw. He has had confidence issues since the MSU-Mankato game last year. His first interception was returned for a touchdown, which changed the momentum. His second interception almost gave Augie a chance to win it in regulation. Thankfully for us, Chappell was solid on the ground and on returns, the special teams blocked two field goals and the defense did just enough when it needed to (still needs to work on pass coverage). Belmore has fantastic physical skills, but has trouble with the mental aspects of being quarterback. I just hope Manke can come back soon so we can get back to putting points on the board and building a big enough lead so we don't have to sweat it out every week.