SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

Bison Dan ... once again you shouldn't be pointing fingers. The Sioux women's team has been a lot better than the Bison for over a decade. Were doing just fine. You don't have to worry about us. If I'm not mistaken I think our record last year was 34-1. What was your record. Almost every player on our team was recruited by the Bison and chose to come to UND. Most of the players on the Bison team wouldn't even have made the Sioux team. Once again, don't worry about us..were doing just fine. The last decade the Bison would love to have underachieved like the Sioux supposedly have.

I'm not the one who started talking about what's wrong with NDSU womens bb team. And I'm sure as not worring about your bb team. Are you really sure for the last decade the sioux were better? I went back and from 94 to 04 it's NDSU 15 and UND 14. Think what you want about your womens bb team, but if they were as great as some seem to think then 92/96's next topic should be "why can't the sioux get out of the regional".

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the one who started talking about what's wrong with NDSU womens bb team. And I'm sure as not worring about your bb team. Are you really sure for the last decade the sioux were better? I went back and from 94 to 04 it's NDSU 15 and UND 14. Think what you want about your womens bb team, but if they were as great as some seem to think then 92/96's next topic should be "why can't the sioux get out of the regional".

To imply that the Bison women have been better than the the Sioux women in the last ten years you have totally lost all credibility. Your really starting to look "SILLY" now Bison Dan. You might want to go back and double check the performance levels of the two teams the last ten years . Then you might want to put your tail back between your legs and go away. Your kind of making a fool of your self now. The only difference between the two teams is conference titles, post season conference titles, national titles, conference records, overall records and lost of other stats if you need them. Please share with us the stats on how the two teams compare in some of those catergories? For starters, let us know how many of those titles the Bison have compared to the Sioux? We will all be waiting for your response. Thanks for stopping by.

He tries to push buttons. But who cares? There are lots of writers/posters out there who I don't agree with, but instead of getting myself all worked up over them, I just don't bother reading their columns/posts. Bakken is getting exactly what he's after, and a group of NDSU fans is apparently more than happy to oblige him. It's not worth getting upset over.

With all that said, would you acknowledge that NDSU women's basketball definitely is well behind football and men's basketball in terms of having a successful transition into dI? And further, that they're clearly behind SDSU in women's basketball? The question is, why? I don't believe a win over a struggling Minnesota team at home erases the struggles in recruiting and in the on-court results of most of the past season and a half. I don't know what the problem(s) is/are, but I don't necessarily expect UND to experience similar struggles.

Do you think Bison fans expected the women's program to struggle the way they have in comparison to FB and MBB? If so, why? If not, how would UND be immune to such growing pains?

It seems that NDSU fans assume that all UND teams will struggle as NDSU's women's BB team has. What is the reason for that? Is it not possible that UND's teams could be successful, like NDSU's football and basketball teams have?

Of course it is. Guess we'll find out soon enough. :huh:

Do you think Bison fans expected the women's program to struggle the way they have in comparison to FB and MBB? If so, why? If not, how would UND be immune to such growing pains?

No, I don't think NDSU fans expected their women's program to struggle as much as they have in transitioning to dI, but in retrospect perhaps they should have. If you read what NDSU grad posted above, you would see that he acknowledged that NDSU recruiting had started to slide even before the announcement of the dI move. UND's recruiting has been very good of late, and the oncourt success has been as good as it's ever been, at least during the regular seasons. I think most objective observers would expect the UND women's program to more closely replicate what SDSU has done rather than what NDSU has done.

To imply that the Bison women have been better than the the Sioux women in the last ten years you have totally lost all credibility. Your really starting to look "SILLY" now Bison Dan. You might want to go back and double check the performance levels of the two teams the last ten years . Then you might want to put your tail back between your legs and go away. Your kind of making a fool of your self now. The only difference between the two teams is conference titles, post season conference titles, national titles, conference records, overall records and lost of other stats if you need them. Please share with us the stats on how the two teams compare in some of those catergories? For starters, let us know how many of those titles the Bison have compared to the Sioux? We will all be waiting for your response. Thanks for stopping by.

I also think UND is in a good position for success in their transition. However, I'm not as cavalier about NDSU's program as some here seem to be. While they are not where they were in 1990, it certainly isn't 1975 either. When these teams play each other regularly again, I fully expect a series split, with a rubber match going either way if there is one (no I'm not taking into account any possible conference conflicts). As good as both these team have been since Gene took over in '87 he is 21-23 vs Ruley, and just as 7>5 in hockey championships, so too is 5>3 in basketball. A dose of healthy respect could do us good, if the bad blood surrounding the Bison move up hasn't poisoned us all.

I also think UND is in a good position for success in their transition. However, I'm not as cavalier about NDSU's program as some here seem to be. While they are not where they were in 1990, it certainly isn't 1975 either. When these teams play each other regularly again, I fully expect a series split, with a rubber match going either way if there is one (no I'm not taking into account any possible conference conflicts). As good as both these team have been since Gene took over in '87 he is 21-23 vs Ruley, and just as 7>5 in hockey championships, so too is 5>3 in basketball. A dose of healthy respect could do us good, if the bad blood surrounding the Bison move up hasn't poisoned us all.

I guess I'm not sure what you're talking about. I, for one, don't believe I've disrespected NDSU's program at all--I've just pointed out the obvious with regard to their past year and a half, and their recruiting struggles which have stretched from the signing of Katie Lorenz to the present (I'm not familiar with their most recent signees). By the time UND and NDSU play again, it may very well be back to being a fairly even matchup. Right now, there is a talent disparity, particularly on the interior, in favor of UND. Nobody's denying that NDSU had great teams in the late 80's through 1997. Since that time, UND has clearly had the upper hand with regard to accomplishments (national titles, conference titles, etc.)

I guess I'm not sure what you're talking about. I, for one, don't believe I've disrespected NDSU's program at all--I've just pointed out the obvious with regard to their past year and a half, and their recruiting struggles which have stretched from the signing of Katie Lorenz to the present (I'm not familiar with their most recent signees). By the time UND and NDSU play again, it may very well be back to being a fairly even matchup. Right now, there is a talent disparity, particularly on the interior, in favor of UND. Nobody's denying that NDSU had great teams in the late 80's through 1997. Since that time, UND has clearly had the upper hand with regard to accomplishments (national titles, conference titles, etc.)

I do believe UND has better talent this year, but NDSU wouldn't be just some NCC also ran if they were D-2. Again, they are not 90's caliber, but losing in overtime in the title game in 2000, and losing to the Sioux by one point in the 2004 regional would be, for plenty of programs, enough to ensure your job. However, even if these teams play next year, I stand by my statement of a series split with the rubber match to UND. I won't become more of a statistician than I already have, but there have been many times in this series when one team seemed to have the upper hand, only to stumble. Basketball rivalries in which there are usually 2-3 games per season tend to shake down like that. Hence, 21-23.

I am not as a gloom and doom about UND's DI future or the current state of NDSU's team as some are. I don't know if UND will be as good or better then SDSU but I see no reason why they couldn't be. I don't think UND fans should be expecting dominance but they should expect to have a competitive team. As for NDSU I think Ruley had some trouble recruiting and in adjusting to DI(finding the right type of player). After 2004-05(I think NDSU had just one loss that year) the talent level dropped off quite a bit and the poor recruiting really started to show. From what I have seen NDSU bottemed out earlier this year and now it looks like Ruley is finally getting things back on track both on the court and in recruiting.

It seems that NDSU fans assume that all UND teams will struggle as NDSU's women's BB team has. What is the reason for that? Is it not possible that UND's teams could be successful, like NDSU's football and basketball teams have?

Of course it is. Guess we'll find out soon enough. :huh:

Oh I think fb & wbb will be okay - but lets face it most other sports aren't exactly lighting up dii. Poor sultan - always in a state of denial.

Oh I think fb & wbb will be okay - but lets face it most other sports aren't exactly lighting up dii. Poor sultan - always in a state of denial..

Bison Dan... as far as I can see, you are the only person denying the statistical facts between the two teams records. Whose in a state of denial? By the way, most fans don't really care about the other sports. Most fans don't go to soccer, baseball,golf etc. They don't go in Fargo either. The point is we were talking about women's basketball anyway. I'm still waiting for the facts to support your silly statements. What is the total number of conference championships, post season conference championships, and national championships have the Bison had compared to the Sioux in the last ten years. I am very anxious to hear the results.

Bison Dan... as far as I can see, you are the only person denying the statistical facts between the two teams records. Whose in a state of denial? By the way, most fans don't really care about the other sports. Most fans don't go to soccer, baseball,golf etc. They don't go in Fargo either. The point is we were talking about women's basketball anyway. I'm still waiting for the facts to support your silly statements. What is the total number of conference championships, post season conference championships, and national championships have the Bison had compared to the Sioux in the last ten years. I am very anxious to hear the results.

You didn't ask me, but I just want to see this debate die; so...

Conference Championships over last 10 years: NDSU: 3; UND: 6

Conference Championships over last 25 years: NDSU: 10; UND: 10

NCC Tourney Championships over last 6 years: NDSU:0; UND: 6 (nice job BTW)

NCAA DII Championships over last 10 years: NDSU: 0; UND: 3

NCAA DII Championships over last 25 years: NDSU 5; UND: 3

notes: The NCC Women's BB tourney was only restarted in 2001, that's why that record only goes back 6 years. As the years go on, these numbers will mean less and less since our two teams are in different conferences. The 10 year is really 8/10. Next year it will be 7/10, and so on. Next year your 3 NCs will drop to 2, since the first was ten years ago this year. In two years and a couple months, all three of your NC's will age out of the 10 year category.

After looking at the records, I would have to say that the Bison were pretty much neck and neck with the Sioux during the last 8 years together in the NCC. Only in 1998(rebuilding year) and in 2002 was NDSU more than 2 games out of first in the NCC when they didn't win it. NDSU was even the regular season co-champion(with SDSU) for our final year in the NCC. Last year was bad; I don't deny it, but what can you expect when your star prospect gets homesick a couple of weeks into the year and quits, and your expected team leader goes down early with a season-ending injury. Stuff happens(just look at our volleyball team last year). Do I think the Bison would win a one-game matchup with UND this year? Probably not. But I wouldn't bet against a split of two games. Records and statistics and predictions all go out the window for a rivalry game and one game out of a pair might just end up an upset.

On a different subject, could somebody tell me if Sioux basketball ticket prices are different for single games vs doubleheaders?

notes: The NCC Women's BB tourney was only restarted in 2001, that's why that record only goes back 6 years. As the years go on, these numbers will mean less and less since our two teams are in different conferences. The 10 year is really 8/10. Next year it will be 7/10, and so on. Next year your 3 NCs will drop to 2, since the first was ten years ago this year. In two years and a couple months, all three of your NC's will age out of the 10 year category.

After looking at the records, I would have to say that the Bison were pretty much neck and neck with the Sioux during the last 8 years together in the NCC. Only in 1998(rebuilding year) and in 2002 was NDSU more than 2 games out of first in the NCC when they didn't win it. NDSU was even the regular season co-champion(with SDSU) for our final year in the NCC. Last year was bad; I don't deny it, but what can you expect when your star prospect gets homesick a couple of weeks into the year and quits, and your expected team leader goes down early with a season-ending injury. Stuff happens(just look at our volleyball team last year). Do I think the Bison would win a one-game matchup with UND this year? Probably not. But I wouldn't bet against a split of two games. Records and statistics and predictions all go out the window for a rivalry game and one game out of a pair might just end up an upset.

On a different subject, could somebody tell me if Sioux basketball ticket prices are different for single games vs doubleheaders?

I don't want to spend too much time discussing a hypothetical UND-NDSU matchup this year, since obviously it's a moot point, but I think NDSU would have a chance for the same reason many other teams have a chance when playing UND--sit back in a tight zone and hope UND isn't hitting the outside shots. The Langen-Kimbrough duo would have a huge advantage over their NDSU counterparts in the post, but a zone can negate that advantage to an extent. The problem for NDSU is that they are a rather poor shooting team (under 40% as a team), so even if UND wasn't hitting, there's no guarantee that NDSU would be able to score enough to take advantage of UND's periodic outside shooting woes. NDSU's poor shooting, particularly from 3-point range, tells me that a zone should be played against them. The problem is, UND never plays zone. In Grand Forks, I think UND would win pretty handily. In Fargo, it would be hard to say what might happen.

I wonder why UND has those "other sports" then? An athletic department is defined by ALL its sports not just cherry picking the successful ones. :D

You need to start the 10 year cycle the last year we played - 2004 to 1994 NDSU NC years 1991,1993,1994,1995,1996

Believe me, with the teams the Bison put on the floor the last couple years they wouldn't have added to their championship team totals.

Why should anyone believe you - the sioux haven't done anything in the last 3 years and that's with SDSU and NDSU out of the picture. You should have had clear sailing to the nationals every year. What happened?

Why should anyone believe you - the sioux haven't done anything in the last 3 years and that's with SDSU and NDSU out of the picture. You should have had clear sailing to the nationals every year. What happened?

Just because they didn't win a national title doesn't equate to "haven't done anything". The NDSU FB teams with Lamar Gordon never won a conference title, let alone an appearance in the championship game, would you say those teams "haven't done anything"?

Just because they didn't win a national title doesn't equate to "haven't done anything". The NDSU FB teams with Lamar Gordon never won a conference title, let alone an appearance in the championship game, would you say those teams "haven't done anything"?

Your missing the point - I don't go around thinking that they walked on water either. Fact is the last 5 years the sioux women bb team has underachieved. But they might run the table this year, we'll see.